Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Figarou wrote:
Fenrir wrote:I thought it stood for Anime Con
Correct.

A-kon is an anime convention.

The full name is Project A-kon.

But they shortened it to "A-kon."
Why do I always see so many furry suits and stuff like that over where your at? Over here is so much different.

EDIT: That answers to my question: "Why is a A-Kon as big as the one in Texas doesnt appear in Tampa?
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

It's the size of Texas...

Post by Scott Gardener »

A-Kon began in 1990. It's the very first Japanese animation convention in the United States, ever. When I went to my first A-Kon in 1993, there were a little over 400 people there. It's grown each year.

A-Kon is also centrally located; Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston are three of the ten largest metropolitan areas in the U.S., and they're all less than five hours driving distance from the convention. For those flying in, it's generally been very accessable, too. Until 2002, A-Kon was even held for a few years at the airport; you didn't need to get a taxi or anything. You just got off the plane, walked to the hotel, and you were there.

And, A-Kon's staffing has been excellent. Meri Davis, the convention organizer, president, and basically high priestess, has been running the thing since day one, and has developed over time a huge organization that has streamlined the enormous process of putting on a convention and all the stuff that goes along with it. A-Kon evolved and grew, and Davis' organization grew with it over 17 years, so it can handle such a monumental production. To someone just starting out, trying to organize a convention that huge, one with more attendees than the population of some of our home towns, the likelyhood of a catastrophic fiasco is too great.

By the way, one of Meri Davis' long-time allies in running the convention is our own Meagan Brownrigg, AKA Silver, the very same person who wrote the script for Freeborn. That's one of the reasons why A-Kon and The Pack seem so intertwined; they actually are.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Just to let you all know, I'm leaving with my family for Kings Dominion. Wont be back for a couple days.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Silverclaw wrote:Just to let you all know, I'm leaving with my family for Kings Dominion. Wont be back for a couple days.
Umm..wherever that is have fun SilverClaw :howl:  :oo :lol:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

YAY!! I'm back on my regular work schedule!! No more overtime for me!!

Gosh, I hate being under so much stress. :(
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

I'm gonna be quiet for the next 2.5 - 3 weeks. Today, I'm resting; tomorrow, I start loading the car for about 4 days, after that I'm resting again and then taking off for Burning Man, which is a solid 10-dayer for me. I'll be unpacking and resting/healing for several days after I get back.
ImageImageImageImage
strykeriuswolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ARMY Wolf

Post by strykeriuswolf »

Have lots of fun at Burning man and we hope to see you back soon :D
I dun care what people say about us furries, I'm darn proud to be one and have always been proud. POWER TO THE FURRIES
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

god .ive always wanted to go to burning man..........take lots of pictures for us Vrikasatma :D and have a blast :D :D
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Don't look for me until AT LEAST the autumnal equinox...I'm taking a few days to unpack, clean and rest when I get home then I'm going into heavy production mode for the Saturday Market booth at Eugene Celebration.

No rest for the wicked! Dig this: I have to make the following —

25 walking sticks
12 wands
5 gauntlets
4 perpetual calendars
1 large display banner
Business cards
5 or 6 signs

If I had reliable access to bigtime electricity out there, I'd turn Burning Man into a busman's holiday and make some of it on the Playa — guess it's a good thing I won't have a plug to plug my jigsaw and belt sander into! :wink: :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

My wife Cathey gets her hip replacement on September 6th. I'm currently at the same time looking for a more permanent work situation as my own practicing physician, rather than doing ER. Needless to say, my presence will still be a bit spotty for awhile, and I may not be able to make much progress on my story and other art projects will be sluggish. But, don't fear; I haven't forgotten them.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

school starts for me tomorrow!! :cry: Beginning of my senior year.

Am' I dead yet? :cry:
THE GAME

My Armory
forsaken_wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Present of Darkness

Post by forsaken_wolf »

damn school starts for me in 2 days oh well at least just 1 more year of school then im outta that damned place.
"lolis"
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Due to lack of Internet in my new home (temporarily) you will not be seeing me as often as before. the only time I'll be able to get on is at school and when I sleep at my friends house.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

I just thought id go ahead and let everybody know that ive changed my name from gladius to WHITE PAW. I feel it suits me better as a wolf name...............besides i cant stand the name gladius.. :D

for those who care----

questions
concerns
feed back

please ....... do share.... :D

if you dont...........then what ever............ :|
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Scott Gardener wrote:My wife Cathey gets her hip replacement on September 6th. I'm currently at the same time looking for a more permanent work situation as my own practicing physician, rather than doing ER. Needless to say, my presence will still be a bit spotty for awhile, and I may not be able to make much progress on my story and other art projects will be sluggish. But, don't fear; I haven't forgotten them.
Oh dear..I hope everything goes well..Art and staries can wait and at least we know why you won't be on as much..Take care the both of you :D :howl:  :oo
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself

Post by lupine »

I know I'm new here and all that but just so you don't think I've just been sailing thru, I'm off to Belfast tomorrow on Hols. so won't be around for a week or so. lck
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary

WOOOOO!!!! I got a computer now!! I'll be poting the requests and trades as soon as I scanner them all!! *jigs* :howl:  :oo
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Edit> Krazy Double Post :P
Last edited by Teh_DarkJokerWolf on Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

Umm..wherever that is have fun SilverClaw
You never heard if it :o
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramount's_Kings_Dominion

I guess I thought these things were all over the usa. Guess not. It is a pretty big amument park attraction here on the east coast. :)
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

My computer is getting fixed ((FINALY!!)) but you wont hear from me untill monday when i get it back from the shop. Right now i'm using the computer at my library.
THE GAME

My Armory
Cavman
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The lone wolf of Quinault

Post by Cavman »

I started school taday....... I hate school.
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

I start senior year tomarrow
*sigh*
the only thing i'm looking forward to are my nice scedual (i only have 5 classes and block scedual....so i get out at 12:20 on tues. and thurs. and 1:45 on mondays) and my AP Biology class ^_^ HORRAY FOR BIOLOGY!!
:D :lol: 8)
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I got my learners permit today. :D

Yea!! Now I can start learning how to drive.
Image Image
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Shadow Wulf wrote:I got my learners permit today. :D

wow, how old do you have to be to get a permit in florida, cause i got mine when i was fifteen, wow that was a long time ago, Iam almost seventeen now just two more months 8)
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

Shadow Wulf wrote:I got my learners permit today. :D

oh great i guess id better get a better insurance company now there goes the nieghborhood and a couple fenders...................... :lol: :lol: :lol: