Werewolf color vision?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Should werewolves have color-vision?

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes: 78

Wes13

Werewolf color vision?

Post by Wes13 »

Tell me what your opinion is.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Hmmm....in order to see better in the dark, werewolves have to give up color vision. Is this correct?

Geee..I hope not. Werewolves won't be able to enjoy HDTV.
NightmareHero
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightmareHero »

It really makes no difference. Seeing through the eyes of a werewolf is usually used to signify that what is looking is not human, maybe even monster like. I would avoid such a change, since not all the werewolves will not be homicidal maniacs, and you can get the same effect either way with the human running away from the camera. Plus it cuts down on post production expenses a little. Also, If they keep their human eye colors, its logical to assume that they would keep their color vision, however enhanced to increase visibility at night.

I believe there are special light receptors in the inside of our eyes that help us see better in the dark. Maybe because they are a werewolf they would have these active all the time or more of them, therefore they could see better in the dark in human and wolf form. They should have some characteristics that stay in human form as well besides better hearing and smell
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

If the eyes change, it is logical to assume that what is seen through them will change as well. Maybe not Black and White, but if the eyes develop more B&W night vision nerves, then they would naturally overpower the human color ones a bit, making things look washed out...but not colorless.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Generally, animals that can see better in the dark, like cats, dogs, wolves, have a membrane in their retinas called a "tapetum," which reflects more light into the retinas.
This is also why their eyes glow green, rather than red, when you shine a light into their eyes.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:Generally, animals that can see better in the dark, like cats, dogs, wolves, have a membrane in their retinas called a "tapetum," which reflects more light into the retinas.
This is also why their eyes glow green, rather than red, when you shine a light into their eyes.
I love doing that when I have a flashlight. :P
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Cannines arn't actually colorblind in the sense of only seeing shades of black and white. They can see color, they just cannot tell the difference between some colors as well.

With this in mind, well, if the directors are going with golden wolf-like eyes, then I don't see any reason why they wouldn't see things in the same manner wolves do.

Besides, Werewolves are more likely to be out and about at night anyway.
Treads Lightly
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Treads Lightly »

Wolves do see in color, just not as many as humans and not as distinctly. In human terms, they would be considered nearsighted. Their vision allows them to distinguish motion easily. If you have ever seen a wolf bounce its head up and down, it is trying to create artificial motion.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Mmm....

Well, this really doesn't matter for this movie....

However, I might suggest taking a middle road type route.

Basically, that Werewolves have some of the advantages of "color blindness," basically slightly better night vision and seeing moving objects slightly better, but these advantages arn't as distinct as they would be for a normal wol.

Reversly, they'd also have some of the disadvantages, such as not being able to see some colors as well, and being slightly near sighted.... but these disadvantages would also be significantly less distinct.
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by ShadowFang »

Yeah, its really dosen't matter but I'll give my 0.02 anyway. There has been no conformation that canines can see in color or not. What was stated above is correct. They can see in color but can not distinguish between colors. Werewolves though with human intellect would be able to do this. So, in my opinion werewolves would see just like a normal human would.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I think werewolves would be able to color. Maybe it would have a washed down look at night. They could be able to see regular color fine in the daylight.
LoupGarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LoupGarou »

Why not have Heat Sensitive Visions,something that looks a little like the way the wolves see in the movie Wolven.
"The Wolf in Me...desires the Sheep in you."
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

LoupGarou wrote:Why not have Heat Sensitive Visions,something that looks a little like the way the wolves see in the movie Wolven.
Real wolves don't have infravision.
LoupGarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LoupGarou »

[quote="Apokryltaros"][quote="LoupGarou"]Why not have Heat Sensitive Visions,something that looks a little like the way the wolves see in the movie Wolven.[/quote]
Real wolves don't have infravision.[/quote]
Yeah but we're talking werewolves here,it's supernatural enough already that a guy turns into a wolf,why not add infravision while we're at it.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Yes but the producers have already made it clear that they're shooting for Werewolves that're as realistic as possible. They're making an exception for regeneration it seems, but that's only because nothing could possibly survive Transformation without someway to counter the massive damage it'd do to the body.

Niether humans nor wolves have infravision, therefore it's unrealistic to have infravision. Besides, Infravision has become a bit of an overused cliche ever since Predator.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

LoupGarou wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:
LoupGarou wrote:Why not have Heat Sensitive Visions,something that looks a little like the way the wolves see in the movie Wolven.
Real wolves don't have infravision.
Yeah but we're talking werewolves here,it's supernatural enough already that a guy turns into a wolf,why not add infravision while we're at it.
I've watched too much of "The Howling: New Moon Rising" to ever appreciate werewolves with infravision.
LoupGarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LoupGarou »

What s*** movie that was.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

LoupGarou, I suggest that you go over to the "responses from the director" section, in the "what this film will NOT and WILL be" thread and check it out.
This film is not intended to be a "hey...wouldn't it be cool if Werewolves could see heat, claw through stone like it was butter and have the strength of the incredible hulk?" kind of movie.
All of that stuff has it's place...but not this time around.
LoupGarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LoupGarou »

Alright,i didn't read all of the posts,so i apologize for the inconvenience.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

LoupGarou wrote:Alright,i didn't read all of the posts,so i apologize for the inconvenience.
Don't sweat it. You are enthusiastic. Enthusiasm is a good thing.

8)
Xodiac
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xodiac »

Wolves and canines, if I remember from my research, can see color. Red and, I think it was green, are actually quite distinct to them, because they matter. Red for blood, greed for vegetation. Or maybe it was red and blue, blue being water. But I think it was green. Yellow and blue (uless it's yellow and green) are very muted, but they're still there.

But popular perceptions matter. The public generally thinks wolves and canines can't see color, and you can bet you'll get complaints if you put it in. Personally, I'd rather be able to respond to the complainers "But I'm right." But you'll have to be doing that a lot more than if you have to respond, "Yeah, I know, I know, but that's how people think of them." I recommend you let the weres have color vision - but limited, like real wolves.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

LoupGarou wrote:What s*** movie that was.
It was one of the most craptacular werewolf movies ever made (and that says a lot), in an odious attempt to tie together all of the loose ends from "The Howling"'s 4, 5, and "The Howlings: Freaks."
That, and it had one of the lamest transformations ever.
akujiwolf

Post by akujiwolf »

From what I've heard, I won't be watching the "Howling" or "Ginger Snaps". I already wasted money on a Van Helsing ticket.
~Request Entertainment Member~ (we get T-Shirts!) Also if there is a problem that you feel needs to be addressed please contact me immediately.
Lasthowl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lasthowl »

Oh, the Ginger Snaps movies are rather fun. They just don't have a good full-on wolf in the first one. Second one is better, and the third has the best effects.

The first two also have wonderfully quirky humor. You have to see the second one just for Ghost. She's my hero.
LoupGarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LoupGarou »

Yeah the second one had some pretty good humor ,teh funny stuff always seemed to creep up on you without noticing.It was well done.