Feeling of Fur Growth

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Heathir350

Feeling of Fur Growth

Post by Heathir350 »

What would be the most likely sensation that accompanies the growth of fur during the transformation? Also, since wolves have three layers of the stuff, how would it develop; all at once or a steady build up of down, then awn hairs, followed by guard hairs?
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Re: Feeling of Fur Growth

Post by Terastas »

I imagine it would itch more than anything else. That's what regular hair growth tends to feel like.

It's probably the aspect of the shift that would take the least amount of time to take effect, so what hairs would grow when and where would likely vary from person to person. It would probably grow in first and to the thickest point on parts of the body that already had hair like the top of the head or under the arms, but would be much more noticeable when it starts growing out in places where the human body typically never has hair at all, like the forehead or the space between their eyes.
real life werewolf
Custom Title: a werewolf
Mood: Meh...

Post by real life werewolf »

good point
the important thing is to HOWL, remember that.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

I agree with Terastas, it would probably itch like mad...at first.

Later, the itch would be replaced with a sense of anticipation; just as other sensed things are "re-named" by the mind on the basis of the outcome. It would go from "itch" to "excitement" after repeated shifts.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

That's also assuming the werewolf even notices the sensation on top of everything else he's experiencing. I imagine an itch would be nothing compared to the feeling of having your tailbone push its way out or your knees turn around backwards. :P
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

BTW: this isn't an ad for the series, but the BBC/US is broadcasting the series; "Being Human". I've seen it and it's pretty darn good.
And you're right: with all the rest that is going on, fur growth is hardly going to be noticed.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Terastas wrote:That's also assuming the werewolf even notices the sensation on top of everything else he's experiencing. I imagine an itch would be nothing compared to the feeling of having your tailbone push its way out or your knees turn around backwards. :P
I wonder who came up with the idea of the knees turning around backwards. Somehow that seems more like a Transformers-type of transformation rather then a more... 'biological' one.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I agree with what others have said already. I think it would itch.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Inverted knees: That's a misconception; the backwards "knees" are actually ankles. A review of prior anatomy discussions on this forum over the years will show some of the comparative anatomy and the effects of upright digitigrade posture.

Back to fur: I, too, expect that it would itch at first. That seems in keeping with some of the legend descriptions I came across back in the eighties. (probably associated with effects of psychotropic drugs found in "magic" elixirs of aconite and belladonna) Early on, that itch might even predominate, though pain would override itching.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
RedWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Ankles

Post by RedWolf »

>That's a misconception; the backwards "knees" are actually ankles

I saw a backward knee CGI animation in "An American Werewolf in Paris" but don't think it looked very plausible as it added an extra joint to the legs. My morph experiments have focused on elongation of the leg bones instead. Here are two examples:

Sequence:
http://oboroten.deviantart.com/art/Wolf ... h-53157930

Animation:
http://oboroten.deviantart.com/art/Were ... -100660802
Viergacht

Post by Viergacht »

If it's anything like growing a beard, very itchy for the first couple of centimeters, then nothin'.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Viergacht wrote:If it's anything like growing a beard, very itchy for the first couple of centimeters, then nothin'.
Offtopic: is that a weremonkey in your avatar?
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Moonraiser
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: Waiting for Freeborn...
Additional Details: Waiting for Freeborn. I don't know if I can take not knowing what will become of this movie much longer. I wish I had some sort of information...
Mood: Sad

Post by Moonraiser »

I imagine it would be a combination of itchy and tingly. Maybe even ticklish in a few places...