Music

The place for anything at all...
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Music

Post by ABrownrigg »

Any thoughts on music that any might feel are particularly wolfy? either in nature? rhythm? or freedom?

Anthony Brownrigg
Lasthowl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lasthowl »

I'm partial to Poe's "Haunted." The whole album, but "Control" and "Wild" in particular.
SnowWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Suck it up, cupcake

Post by SnowWalker »

There's a very funny song by Kevin Hearn called, "Born Human", the chorus goes:

"Born human
Raised by wolves
Will she ever understand my world
Born Human into this crazy world
then one day she wandered deep into the woods"

As for more serious tunes, not so sure. My music catalog is limited to Barenaked Ladies :roll:

~Snowy
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Re: Music

Post by Vuldari »

ABrownrigg wrote:Any thoughts on music that any might feel are particularly wolfy? either in nature? rhythm? or freedom?

Anthony Brownrigg
Pesonally, I think the mood of the story should determine the type of music we hear...not what is on the screen.

Using Non-Wolfy music would better convey that the story is about the people behind the wolves and not the Beast itself. That is how I see it.
...what kind of music IS wolfy music anyway :?: I really have no Idea.
Using songs about wolves could feel very cheezy if used in the wrong place... exept maybe durring the end credits.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

Let me clarify then.

I'm not necessarily looking for inspirational music that is specifically 'wolfy' in nature. Merely things that inspire fans either on an emotional level in regards to their feelings on werewolves, or the like. It could be emotional, and have nothing to do with wolves. But something that is just personal.

And this has nothing to do with the soundtrack by the way. This is merely music I'm looking at for backround noise while I work on the script. I don't want to limit things to just 'wolf' music.

Anthony Brownrigg
Werewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

Post by Werewolf »

I'm partial to composed music that they use in some video games to convey emotional driven stories, something like orchestrated pieces with more native or nature related themes perhaps, for example drum beats or a tune that emphasizes on something like the howling of the wind ^..^
Last edited by Werewolf on Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

ABrownrigg wrote:Let me clarify then.

I'm not necessarily looking for inspirational music that is specifically 'wolfy' in nature. Merely things that inspire fans either on an emotional level in regards to their feelings on werewolves, or the like. It could be emotional, and have nothing to do with wolves. But something that is just personal.

And this has nothing to do with the soundtrack by the way. This is merely music I'm looking at for backround noise while I work on the script. I don't want to limit things to just 'wolf' music.

Anthony Brownrigg
...sorry. My mistake. :oops: In that respect, I actually have a CD of calm instrumental music to the the backdrop of nature sounds, including the sound of howling wolves. I must say, that has always been very inspiring for me to listen to.
I am quite curious as to what suggestions will come up here. I LOVE inspirational music. :D
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
TakeWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The big one-one

Post by TakeWalker »

I've collected my fair share of wolf music over the years. Things like "Of Wolf and Man" by Metallica, "Moondance" by Nightwish, and music from the Furry Music Foundation might give you some inspiration. I recommend, among other songs, "Wolves" by Chama C. Fox and "And We Are" by 2. Oh, and there was once a website... I think it was playspoon.com, but I don't know if it exists anymore. Anyway, there was a duo by the name of Kirk Adams and Josef Jahn who did excellent wolf music -- "Eclipse", "A Wolf in the City" and "The Wolf Inside" are the pieces I still have.[/url]
Werewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

Post by Werewolf »

I thought it was for suggerstions for the film, sorry :oops:

But if you are looking for good inspirational music I still like composed works, orchestrated stuff always works for me :D

You should listen to the Wolf's Rain soundtrack, it is a very good soundtrack that captures a nice feel with out being overly wolf driven, though when I listen to it I think it captures the wild spirit of a wolf in some of the songs that they used ^..^
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

Whoah,

I'd never heard Poe before.. Awesome Lasthowl.

Anthony Brownrigg
Lasthowl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lasthowl »

ABrownrigg wrote:Whoah,

Anthony Brownrigg
Like I said, the whole album is awesome. "Hey Pretty" was the inspiration for a story collaboration I did with a friend about a female werewolf stalking an unsuspecting guy.
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

I do a lot of writing by way of musical inspiration playing in the background. I am truly thankful to everyone thats posting here, Its really introducing me to some new things. I'm gonna be one of the moonstruck myself here pretty soon. This is fun.

Anthony Brownrigg
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

It really depends on what sort of scene you're working on. Different singers/composers fit different emotions better than others, but for the widest ranges of emotions, I would recommend the following albums:

Afrocelts "Seed"
Live: "The Dolphins Cry"
Soul Coughing: "Irresistable Bliss"
Blue Man Group: "The Complex"
Meat Loaf: "Welcome to the Neighborhood"

I'm pretty sure those five albums cover everything but dick-flick action sequences, which I presume you will not require. :wink:

As for songs that make me think of werewolves themselves... Well, I took a few minutes away from the keyboard to think about the emotional aspects instead of just throwing out a painfully obvious one like 'Wolf and Man' by Metallica, and the first two that came to mind based on their lyrics were 'Capricorn' by 30 Seconds to Mars and 'Switchback' by Celldweller.

Here are the lyrics:
Capricorn:

[Chorus]
So I run, hide and tell myself
I'll start again with a brand new name
And eyes that see into infinity

I will disappear
I told you once and I'll say it again
I want my message read clear
I'll show you the way, the way I'm going

[Chorus]

I was almost there
Just a moment away from becoming unclear
Ever get the feeling you're gone
I'll show you the way, the way I'm going

[Chorus]

So I run, start again
With a brand new name
With a brand new name

So I run and hide and tell myself (so I run)
I'll start again with a brand new name (start again)
And eyes that see into infinity (with a brand new name)

I will disappear
Switchback:

I made a choice that I regret
Now what I see is what I get

It's too late to look back
I've got no way to switchback
Ain't okay

Wait
How can it be too late
Cuz' I don't want to play
With such a price to pay

Chained
To what I can't reclaim
I'll never be the same
Won't be the same again

A painful picture that I can't forget
Now what I see is what I get

Ain't okay
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Lasthowl wrote:I'm partial to Poe's "Haunted." The whole album, but "Control" and "Wild" in particular.
ABrownriggl wrote:Whoah,

Anthony Brownrigg
Allright...now I have to listen to this album.

Thinking about inspirational music has reminded me of my favorite instrumental album, "Imaginary Day" by the Pat Metheny Group. It is not perticually wolfy, but it always gets my imagination going.
...I'm listening to it right now. 8)

=^.^'= ~
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

I'm afraid I'm the wrong person to ask about music. I listen to mainly videogame soundtracks and orchestral scores.

Moonlight Sonata makes me feel kinda wolfy but, not in the, grrr powerful way. It's more like a sad, graceful type wolfy feeling.
NightmareHero
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightmareHero »

ABrownrigg wrote:Let me clarify then.

Anthony Brownrigg
The only movie that I can vaguely remember the music from was "Wolf" with Jack Nicholson, maybe you could get a few pointers there.

Anyway, in terms of style and tone, I think woodwinds, give a sort of natural sound, that represents wolves as creatures of nature, not necessarily as monsters. A movie with this that I believe you should look into, I'm not sure the name of it, but it was one with this researcher studying wolves. Another one is Dance with wolves with Kevin Costner, but that doesn't deal specifically though, but I'm sure it has scenes and music with wolves.

Anyway, personally, I prefer to think of Werewolves as creatures of NATURE, not as creatures from hell or demonic beings out for flesh. So the music should reflect this nature in the "good" werewolves at the very least, however, if you have any "bad" villian werewolves, then they could be represented, by other instruments that are more forcefull but are still natural sounding not necessarily artificial or sythysized.

Watch Jack London's White Fang with Eathan Hawk. It has a scene of wolves attacking humans, If I'm not mistaken.

In any case I'd prefer music pretaining to sound natural, so natural woodwind instruments would be good, no electric guitars though just as an example, unless of course its for a song with lyrics, or at the end of the credits.

I think a good movie with natural sounding music that you should listen to would have to be "Willow" though that music was kind of epic, you may ask the composer of that movie if he would be available for this movie. Just a thought.

Take it as you will.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Lasthowl wrote:I'm partial to Poe's "Haunted." The whole album, but "Control" and "Wild" in particular.
Interesting. I may have to check out this album.

Is this the cover for it?

Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

It would be freakin great if you got Danny Elfman to score. 8) That man is a god of music I tell you. I highly recommend just listening to his scores. I love that man :D

I agree with having, 'naturey music' as well. Flutes, strings, maybe drums.
Last edited by Silverclaw on Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoupGarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LoupGarou »

I think a little gothic music wouldn't hurt,it always helps bring out the mood as well as atmosphere.
"The Wolf in Me...desires the Sheep in you."
Lasthowl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lasthowl »

Figarou wrote:

Yep, you've got it.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lasthowl wrote:
Figarou wrote:

[img]image[/img]
Yep, you've got it.
Cool. Thanks for bringing it up. :wink:
Darksong17
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Darksong17 »

Speaking of gothic kind of music this might work for a troubled new werewolf's first change: The Becoming by Nine Inch Nails

"The Becoming"

I beat my machine it's a part of me it's inside of me
I'm stuck in this dream it's changing me I am becoming
the me that you know had some second thoughts
he's covered with scabs and he is broken and sore
the me that you know doesn't come around much
that part of me isn't here anymore
all pain disappears it's the nature of my circuitry
drowns out all I hear there's no escape from this my new consciousness
that me that you know used to have feelings
but the blood has stopped pumping and he's left to decay
the me that you know is now made up of wires
and even when I'm right with you I'm so far away
I can try to get away but I’ve strapped myself in
I can try to scratch away the sound in my ears
I can see it killing away all my bad parts
I don't want to listen but it's all too clear

hiding backwards inside of me I feel so unafraid
Annie, hold a little tighter I might just slip away

it won't give up it wants me dead
goddamn this noise inside my head
akujiwolf

Post by akujiwolf »

Werewolf wrote:I thought it was for suggerstions for the film, sorry :oops:

But if you are looking for good inspirational music I still like composed works, orchestrated stuff always works for me :D

You should listen to the Wolf's Rain soundtrack, it is a very good soundtrack that captures a nice feel with out being overly wolf driven, though when I listen to it I think it captures the wild spirit of a wolf in some of the songs that they used ^..^
Are you talking about the anime Wolf Rain? I love that show.
~Request Entertainment Member~ (we get T-Shirts!) Also if there is a problem that you feel needs to be addressed please contact me immediately.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

akujiwolf wrote:
Werewolf wrote:I thought it was for suggerstions for the film, sorry :oops:

Are you talking about the anime Wolf Rain? I love that show.

Yup, that he is.

Have a look at the music video he made. :P

http://www.figarou.com/videos/Wolfs_Rain.mpg

Whats cool about the DVD of Wolf's Rain is that its in 5.1 surround sound!!! :mrgreen:
Silverfang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silverfang »

Just got hold of the first 3 episodes and boy oooh boy am i loving this series :D

Yes the music from that is a nice blend of rock and folk musicwith a modern twist
*When you're down... howl*