Fur - how hairy is too hairy?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Tamier

Fur - how hairy is too hairy?

Post by Tamier »

I agree with the wise folks who said look to the real wolves as a guide. There are many different breeds, and fur styles. If the creature is to become a wereCREATURE, then it can look like something dipped in glue and rolled around in fur remnants. It can be shaggy, messy, burly - a motheaten gorilla with a tail.

If it's a wereWOLF, then it needs to look like one. It needs to have fur like a wolf, with fur that doesn't need to be styled, brushed, or straightened.

Perhaps I'm beeing a purist or just a snob. I'll take that hit. Maybe the shaggier/more monsterous look is fitting for a horror flick.

My vote, however, is with what works on the real wolf. It works for them, and they're the experts on the subject.
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by ShadowFang »

Not too hairy so it looks like a Wookie with a muzzle. There should be some places where there isn't any hair. Or very fine hairs to outline muscle detail.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

I don't want the werewolf to look like a Wookie...
A werewolf without a muzzle is just as aesthetically unappealing as a werewolf without a tail, if not moreso.
Also, I think that a wolf's fur would be an adequete guidline for a werewolf's fur.

Also, we don't want a werewolf so shaggy it looks like a steroidal pomeranian.
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by ShadowFang »

Yes. It is my believe that werewolves should have a full mane like a wolf and most of their entire backs covered in long fur. Their frontside of their chests/stomach would be hairless or have very fine hairs. The thighs has long fur as well just shorter and shorter hairs as you get near the feet.

I did a little sketch for a project I'm working on that I think illustrates this best.

Treads Lightly
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Treads Lightly »

It is true that the fur towards the paws does tend to be much shorter on wolves. You can clearly see the achilles tendon of a wolf, even in winter.

However, I do have to disagree with the chest area. I would imagine much more fur. It is the fluff that insulates them.

I don’t mean to offend anyone, it is just neat to have a discussion with a visual reference. (Thanks Shadowfang!)
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

ShadowFang wrote:
I did a little sketch for a project I'm working on that I think illustrates this best.

[img]image[/img]
i wonder what project that could be? :P
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Figarou wrote:
ShadowFang wrote:

[img]image[/img]
I think it involves radical gene therapy.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Figarou wrote:
ShadowFang wrote:

[img]image[/img]
me no think so.

Oh BTW, your order is ready. LOL.

http://calypso-blue.com/werewolf/viewto ... 9&start=15
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Figarou wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:
Figarou wrote:
ShadowFang wrote:

[img]image[/img]
me no think so.

Oh BTW, your order is ready. LOL.

http://calypso-blue.com/werewolf/viewto ... 9&start=15
You always have to strip the magic out of my fun, don't you?
Fiend.
And I changed my mind, I want the Combo #4 Suction-Surprise with a side-order of Chiseled Abs instead.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote: You always have to strip the magic out of my fun, don't you?
Fiend.
awww...no sence of humor. :roll:

Only kidding.
Apokryltaros wrote:And I changed my mind, I want the Combo #4 Suction-Surprise with a side-order of Chiseled Abs instead.
Oh, excellent choice. May I suggest a fine wine to go with that?
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Figarou wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:And I changed my mind, I want the Combo #4 Suction-Surprise with a side-order of Chiseled Abs instead.
Actually, I don't drink: I'll have a large Coke.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Figarou wrote:
Actually, I don't drink: I'll have a large Coke.
regular, C2 or diet?
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Regular, but, to get back on track, I like werewolves with a thick but realistic-looking pelt.
One thing that's bothered me, at least in art-wise, is about how some artists draw werewolves, and other furred humanoids, with a tassle of fur placed inbetween their pectorals...
Why?
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:Regular, but, to get back on track, I like werewolves with a thick but realistic-looking pelt.
One thing that's bothered me, at least in art-wise, is about how some artists draw werewolves, and other furred humanoids, with a tassle of fur placed inbetween their pectorals...
Why?

You should already know the answer to that.

The U.S. is very strict on showing of sexual organs and milk glands. Its either covered or missing. It may end up getting an X-rating if it did.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Figarou wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:Regular, but, to get back on track, I like werewolves with a thick but realistic-looking pelt.
Why?

The U.S. is very strict on showing of sexual organs and milk glands. Its either covered or missing. It may end up getting an X-rating if it did.
Actually, no.
The tassle of fur does nothing but to dangle off of the chest, and does not cover anything.
And why would the US care about a masculine-looking creature with exposed milk glands?
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Figarou wrote:
Why?

Actually, no.
The tassle of fur does nothing but to dangle off of the chest, and does not cover anything.
And why would the US care about a masculine-looking creature with exposed milk glands?
On humans, yes. They care. Animals such as cows, no
LoupGarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LoupGarou »

Too fury would be too bad,unless in his or human form he was already hairy than maybe that would suit his character.
"The Wolf in Me...desires the Sheep in you."
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

The most important thing would be to get fur over the vast majority of the body. Fur length can differ from werewolf to werewolf, ranging from mid to long length fur.

The tuft of fur on the chest thing mentioned earlier is fine, for a shaggier werewolf. However, mid length fur werewolves probably wouldn't have any noticable tufts anywhere with the possible exception of the slight mane wolves sometimes have.

Okay, I suppose that's about it.
LoupGarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LoupGarou »

It also depends on how high the quality of the werewolf suit is, i mean if they don't plan on showing details of the muscles and such a la Underworld,then the fur should be applied on those specific parts of the body.
Ginger Snaps 1's werewolf didn't have any fur so you could actually see in the end of the movie how it looked like,pretty detailed.
But interestingly enough in An American Werewolf in London,the werewolf had fur but you could clearly see the body structure,that to me was brilliant.
"The Wolf in Me...desires the Sheep in you."
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

I would like to see a werewolf with a nice pelt of fur. Like your traditional wolf, i think it would be neat to see a more wolf side to the look of werewolves then the human side. A nice pelt of fur with muscle definition underneath. Implied muscle if you will. :D
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.