Wolves Are Back!!!

The place for anything at all...
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Wolves Are Back!!!

Post by vrikasatma »

:howl:  :oo

From today's Register-Guard:

"The recent videotaping and sightings of a wild wolf in Wallowa County raises hopes that the magnificent creatures once hunted to near extinction throughout the west are making a comeback in Oregon.

"The July videotaping and sightings last weekend provide firm evidence that a new strategy to allow wolves to migrate into Oregon from Idaho, where they were introduced as part of a federal recovery program a decade ago, is off to a promising start.

"An Oregon management plan, more than three years in the making, sets an ambitious goal of four breeding pairs each in eastern Oregon and western Oregon, with the animals monitored by state biologists.

"The plan represents a complete turnaround in Oregon's historical approach to wolves. Just six decades ago, state wildlife officials were so intent on eliminating wolves that they were paying bounties to wolf hunters.

"There are still plenty of hurdles to overcome. Some ranchers still adamantly oppose allowing any wolves to return to the state, arguing that the animals pose a threat to both their livelihoods and rural lifestyles.

"Eventually, that resistance should dissipate once wolves are removed from the endangered species list and ranchers are allowed to kill wolves that destroy their livestock. Until then, federal and state officials should works closely with concerned ranchers and the public at large, doing everything possible to help change peoples' attitudes and to increase their understanding and appreciation for these beautiful animals."

Personally I favour compensating ranchers for livestock lost to predation, whether it's from a wolf, cougar or bear. I predict the wolf will do better here than they're faring in Idaho, because Oregonians are more environmentally active and we have a lot of greenspace.

Let's just say...colour me jazzed! :howl:  :oo
ImageImageImageImage
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Thats great! :) Good to see wolves on the comeback!
Now, if only they came to Maryland... :wink:
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

I want to move to Oregon so that I can go to an Oregon state college. There I will get a degree in evironmetal science, biology and ecology......well at least Bio, lol. Anyway, with that I want to help protect the wolves and all the other endangered animals out there :D
Anook
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dogs are miracles with paws

Post by Anook »

I want to go to college in Oregon too.
I would like to live in Portland someday. Its the best place in the United States for dogs. :D
I could care less if I am a "freak". I don't care what other people think about me. I am me. I am different from the masses of society in unique and profound ways, anyway. Being physically different would trouble me not
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Oh yeah. Definitely check out the Lucky Lab Brewery on Hawthorne, they let you bring your dog to hang out with you on the back patio.

Watch out for UofO, though. They've got this Animal House mentality going on, they all want to be Deltas. We do have a thriving arts scene here and all of Eugene is bicycle-friendly. And fairly dog-friendly, too.

Of course I'll be here when you get here...I've sent down roots. We'll have a Cascadian Pack chapter! :)
ImageImageImageImage
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself

Post by lupine »

How lucky are you lot!!!????

The nearest wild animal we have to wolves are foxes, we get a few wild cats up in scotland and the odd BIG CAT sighting up and down the UK but wolves were wiped out here eons ago. :cry:
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

lupine wrote:How lucky are you lot!!!????

The nearest wild animal we have to wolves are foxes, ........

And where I live, its coyotes.
lupine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lupine »

Yeah but a coyote's really exotic if your British :lol:
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

Coydogs hear, a mix of coyote and dogs :( we don't even have a pure preditor
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori :P
lupine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lupine »

Foxes are about the only real predator we have, poor fluffy bunnies :lol:

Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Figarou wrote:
lupine wrote:How lucky are you lot!!!????

The nearest wild animal we have to wolves are foxes, ........

And where I live, its coyotes.
same
but we also have bobcats, cougars, and panthers
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

that is awesome news....................its about time.. :D 8) :howl:  :oo
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

White Paw wrote:that is awesome news....................its about time.. :D 8) :howl:  :oo
I agree! :howl:  :oo
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

YES!! 3 HOWLS FOR WOLVES!! :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo :howl:  :oo

I am glad that some states let wolves alone :D Hopeful it spreads to others. I know there used to be wolves running out here and I've heard that there are indeed wolves still running freely in Missouri, but they are rarely seen..Smart wolves :lol:
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

It's really great to see they're making a comeback
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Re: Wolves Are Back!!!

Post by Anubis »

vrikasatma wrote::howl:  :oo

From today's Register-Guard:

"The recent videotaping and sightings of a wild wolf in Wallowa County raises hopes that the magnificent creatures once hunted to near extinction throughout the west are making a comeback in Oregon.

"The July videotaping and sightings last weekend provide firm evidence that a new strategy to allow wolves to migrate into Oregon from Idaho, where they were introduced as part of a federal recovery program a decade ago, is off to a promising start.

"An Oregon management plan, more than three years in the making, sets an ambitious goal of four breeding pairs each in eastern Oregon and western Oregon, with the animals monitored by state biologists.

"The plan represents a complete turnaround in Oregon's historical approach to wolves. Just six decades ago, state wildlife officials were so intent on eliminating wolves that they were paying bounties to wolf hunters.

"There are still plenty of hurdles to overcome. Some ranchers still adamantly oppose allowing any wolves to return to the state, arguing that the animals pose a threat to both their livelihoods and rural lifestyles.

"Eventually, that resistance should dissipate once wolves are removed from the endangered species list and ranchers are allowed to kill wolves that destroy their livestock. Until then, federal and state officials should works closely with concerned ranchers and the public at large, doing everything possible to help change peoples' attitudes and to increase their understanding and appreciation for these beautiful animals."

Personally I favour compensating ranchers for livestock lost to predation, whether it's from a wolf, cougar or bear. I predict the wolf will do better here than they're faring in Idaho, because Oregonians are more environmentally active and we have a lot of greenspace.

Let's just say...colour me jazzed! :howl:  :oo
awsome! :D it's great to hear that
THE GAME

My Armory
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

Yay I wonder if they will ever envelope most of North America like they used to. I sure hope so it would sure solve alot of the deer problems.
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.
Moon_Lover
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Look, Ma! He's smiling!"

Post by Moon_Lover »

I have always found it hilarious how people would eliminate predators, and then complain about the fact that their prey would breed like rats.
You can run, you can hide, but I'll still pounce on you and lick you silly.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Moon_Lover wrote:I have always found it hilarious how people would eliminate predators, and then complain about the fact that their prey would breed like rats.
Hey! What do you have against rats? :lol: Just kidding!
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend