Copyrighting my Drawings

The place for anything at all...
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Post by Avareis »

I asked the same question to one of my professors. He said that if it's on paper then it is copyright, but if you want to go crazy, just in case someone likes your concept art, you might have to do a little research on how to do that. I always make copies of my work and mail them to myself. That way, there's a govenment seal on it and it's considered copyright.
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Something wicked
Mood: Meh...

Post by Akugarou »

I'm heading up an artwork heavy project utilizing the talents of many of The Pack's finest artists. The Pack 2007 calendar. http://calypso-blue.com/werewolf/viewto ... 2597#72597
Maybe you've heard of it?

Because I am using others artwork to complete the project, I am extremely sensitive to issues involving copyrights and the possesion of intellectual property. I would never ask an artist to compromise their talent in any way.

I always post warnings in the calendar thread concerning copyrights, both to would-be art thieves, and to the generous artists (in an effort to protect them). I'll never know for sure if this is enough to stop thieves, but it is better than nothing.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

Owning the original, or mailing to yourself are the easiest ways to prove ownership if a conflict does arise over copyright. Usually most groups don't bother to express copyright rule unless they need to specialize the copyright (like Disney did with Micky Mouse) or they buy it from someone else.
For most its automatic, which has been said numerous times.

I mean if someone stole one of my stories and tried to sell it I could easily sue and prove owner-ship, you should always own paper and hard versions of everything you make,even if they are just rough draft versions.

Art is easier to prove owner-ship, what are the chances they could draw and exact copy of the image? and that that image could be dated older than your drawing?
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Rwolf wrote:Here is a neat trick my teacher at collage told me (although it may not be applicable in this case). If your designing a logo for commercial use. Put that design (prefiribly the original) in a envelope and mail it to yourself, but DO NOT open it when you recieve it.

The envelope will be postdated and if it ever comes to court, and acused of art theft, theft design. You can use that unopened envelope as evidence you created that logo before that person/art theft your dealing with.
An old band of mine were releasing our EP (We didn't finish it before the singer disappeared) and we did this, although several of the songs were released on a collection CD half a year later and copywrited on the CD. It's a neat little trick :D.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-