http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01979.html
THE GAME

My Armory
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Already, from the title, this looks like a heap of crap.

Who on earth would play that? Disturbed people, immature teenagers, wannabes, (Yes, wannabes. The kind of riff raff youth which prides itself on violence and hating humans, some stupid phase they go through, thinking themselves cool).
The game has been available online since April 20, 2005, the sixth anniversary of the deadliest school violence in U.S. history. (Fifteen people died and numerous others were injured.) Ledonne said he made the game partly as an "indictment of our society at large" and partly because he was "a misfit," "a loner" and "a bullied kid" in high school, much the way Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, the two students responsible for Columbine, were characterized.
No excuse. None. Zilch.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

DISGUSTING :x
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

Vile and wrong and goes to show what's wrong with humanity :x
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori :P
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

not surprised...
how long until "Super 9/11 massacre RPG" comes out? you know some retard out ther is working on it...
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

I'm all for doling out death for blatant acts of stupidity, but I really don't think this guy deserves it.

Edit: to make what it is I mean a little clearer, let me just say this. The only reason you're freaking out about it right now is because it was based on something that actually happened. There are horrid acts of violence in TONS of video games. The only thing that seperates this from, say, Grand Theft Auto, is that it was based on real people. That's the only reason any of you give a rat's a**.

And you know what? I don't see a reason to care. At least this isn't a "Left Behind" clone, something which was made for deliberately brainwashing people into actually going out and shooting each other all in the name of something stupid.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

idiots
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I wish the kid had just come out and said he made this game because he's a hateful little s***. The primary purpose a game like this serves is to offend and outrage everyone that sees it.

What happened to the good old days when little s*** that hate the entire world because it doesn't revolve around them just locked themselves in the bathroom and tried to OD on baby aspirin?
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Reminds me of when I had the idea of making a Half-Life map replica of my own highschool. Of course my idea was to use the building, not the kids, teachers, and bystanders. My reason was just to entertain the idea of fighting terrorists in a high-school, as in being in the hero role. My friends shot down my idea right away, and I decided it was a bit too taboo for society today. I suppose the idea seemed ok since it was the one environment I was most familiar with, and could easilly model the floorplan. This guy took it way too far in comparison. You ARE the villin, and you ARE killing students. Very wrong.

I made a playable model of myself instead, using photos. Turned out being more fun anyways. :D
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Resident Chakat

Post by Short Tail »

Please read this all the way through before replying

If you actually took the time to read the site, the game maker goes through great detail outlining his goal in making the game. Yes you kill people, yes, it is based on a tragic even, but what he is trying to show is the serious ramifications of the incident. This will not inspire people to try this because, as Z said, it shows that no matter what you do in the game, the main characters die.
Also, if you put your first impression aside and actually read the forums and what the creator has posted, he details all his intensions and continually defends them against people who don't see the meaning to what he was trying to show. He also provides a very powerful point, what is different about this game and games like Call of Duty and Ghost Recon and similar games; both depict the deaths of real people, the only difference is the way they have been portrayed in our society.
Killing the Germans in World War Two was "Good" because we were ridding the globe of a menace that threatened freedom, and the lives of people all over the world (heh, GW anyone?(for the freedom part, not so much the lives)). This game shows the killings of people which we automatically think of as bad since they are our country-men. Both have the end result of innocent people dying, but the only thing that makes the prior acceptable, is the fact that it is government sanctioned.
Fang wrote: goes to show what's wrong with humanity
Very well put, but misplaced, that is the lesson the game's creator shows through the game, not the game itself.

Ponder this, the creator is trying to make people think back on the subject, what caused it, what were the factors, not the ones everyone normally cites, (music, games, movies, TV) but the social environment that IS America. So what if he is being controversial, that is the best way to make people stop and realize that things are not right. If you don’t believe me on that, look at the people who we so value in society. Martin Luther King Jr., Darwin, Gandhi, all were controversial and all of them got the people's attention to the problem so that the changes could be made. We are taught to hate all throughout our upbringing, not just because of games, movies, and TV, but also by our parents, our friends and the media. That is what he is showing. That is what needs to be changed.

If you see errors in logic or don’t agree, go ahead and post them, but use logic, not emotion for it can easily cloud the mind and prevent understanding.
"War is over if you want it to be. Imagine all the people living life in peace." - John & Yoko
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Honestly, i don't see what the big deal is. Yes, it's awful, but after a while. people use any and every subject for ridicule/parody. it's an inevitability, and the more attention you give something you don't like, you're just helping more people to know about it.
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

short tail hit the nail on the head
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself
Mood: Meh...

Post by lupine »

I would like to start by saying that although I'm British, living in Britain, you could argue that I am somewhat detached from some of these awful acts of violence that seem to occur in the US on a scarily regular basis. And to apoint, you would be right. We get loons going on the rampage over here too, just not as often(thank god for no guns). I would however like to point out that I am still repulsed and upset when I see things like the columbine incident and only a few months ago the Amish school murders.
The fact that this kid has made a game out of it is I feel in bad taste. It is however, no different than when we all sit down with the lastest installment of Medal of Honour or Call of Duty or Brothers in Arms. All of these are based on true events in which FAR more people, including children, perished. The games industry is no different than Hollywood in that it will see a cash cow and milk it for all it's worth. Hollywood gets away with it to a higher degree because it can get away with claim itself as educational or artistic or some other kak. , plus, the general (wrong) opinion is that it's mostly kids who play these games. I'm 35 and I probably get more of a kick out of blasting away at point blank range at a German infantryman, than my 14 year old lad does.

This kid is no more guilty than the likes of Electronic Arts or Gus Van Sant (Elephant producer). I say kid, He's 24, and quite capable of holding his own opinion, and expressing it.

I dunno what I'm trying to say really. As on one hand, I find it distasteful and disrespectful. But I also try not to judge this guy too harshly. He doesn't come over as idiotic or uneducated, far from it imho. Like a movie on 911 or something equally as sensitive, you don't HAVE to watch it.

And in the eyes of a witness...
Richard Castaldo, one of the students injured that day, had a different take. He is paralyzed from the waist down after being shot in the back, chest, arm and abdomen. He's a gamer -- he wants to be a sound engineer for games -- and he's played the Columbine game. There are some parts that were tough for him, the 24-year-old said, but he thought the game has a unique take on that day. "It's weird for me to say this, I guess, but there's something about it that I appreciated, seeing the game from the killers' perspective,"
Also. I noticed that it since it was posted last year, it recieved 75%(30,000) of its hits in the last month(since the media got hold of it). So it would seem that quite a few people out there DO want to play it.
However wrong it may be.

Unfortunately, this is the society we live in.

But I'll still buy the next Medal of Honour
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Timber-WoIf wrote:not surprised...
how long until "Super 9/11 massacre RPG" comes out? you know some retard out ther is working on it...
They already had games with planes that could fly into bulidings sadly..an yeah this is sick..some humans are just sick f*** :x
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I agree with shor tail and lupine, this is no different from playing WW2 games or Vietnam. You always play as a the american side of the story, but you never play the vietcongs side, alot of them felt that they should fight to make vietnam a more independant country. But I do must say that this is tasteless, becuase cmon, you are killing kids, I dont want to play a game that kills kids, hardly any game does that. But I say ignore it, let him make a video game if hes wants, if he is liked by some people, then he is liked, if he is hated by others, then so be it. He has rights. And we should blame the media for popularizing the game, "The media is right hand of anarchy".
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
DarkShadow
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The coffee addicted were

Post by DarkShadow »

Timber-WoIf wrote:not surprised...
oh god, that would be horrible! :(
I can proudly say that I am not a stamp of the person beside me

Icon made by Z :D
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

how can someone make a video game out of that?!
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Yeah, this isn't cool... If he wanted to prove a point about the minds of these people, he should have made a film, as he is described as an aspiring filmmaker. Why do I consider this better? Because you aren't the one doing it. I do agree about war games being similarly based on a real event, but the difference is that you usually are fighting on the perceived good side. I say perceived not because I don't agree, but because others might not (for Vietnam and Middle-East based games, anyway).

And on a side-note to Short-Tail: Ghost Recon takes place in a near-but-fictional future.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

I dont believe for a second that the real intention of the game was to show that youll get caught. Thats just something he and his lawyers made up when they started getting into trouble. Its a terrible thing to do. Making it a fake school shooting would have been slightly better then using a real event. Video games are just messed up in general.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ...for science

Post by Fullmoonstar »

Grrrrrr......this is just sooo damn disgusting :x ...and that is a kind word to describe this Thing....how can they be sooooo stupid
This is more than just sick.....and yeah you are right Anubis....the guys, that made this "Game"needs to die.......
never stop dreaming. Otherwise your dreams will never come true.
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

if you hear him talk about WHY he decided to make a game like that, you will understand its more artistic, but still a bit sick
I made this game because I was going to high school when these shootings took place, so I felt that it is something that is embedded into me both emotionally and mentally, I feel that this topic is something that should not be let go, and unlike some people I am not able to paint a picture or write a poem about this sort of thing, so when I found RPG maker it seemed like my outlet
its not his EXACT quote, just what I remember from the show where I saw him talking about this.
Hamster
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hamster »

LOL. :roll:
Meh Dev account: http://kileyhannan.deviantart.com/

"Life... It's drawing without an eraser..."
KittyRose
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Spotted Feline Writer

Post by KittyRose »

I can't believe someone would do such a thing :x I remember Columbine and it was a tragic event, making a video game out of it is disrespectful and distrubing.
DeviantART
Meez

:wolfpaint: Avatar created by Z
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Resident Chakat

Post by Short Tail »

Z wrote:arg, its so obvious when people dont read the entire thread...or article for the matter
Heh, yeah. I like how few have noted what I said. :lol: Oh well
"War is over if you want it to be. Imagine all the people living life in peace." - John & Yoko