Homework help (note this is not "urgent")

The place for anything at all...
geekboy1500
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lover of Life

Homework help (note this is not "urgent")

Post by geekboy1500 »

Ok

we have a assignment in science.

I have to ask ten people over 20 why they think the seasons happen. (yes I know its a stupid question, yes I know what the answer is.)

The only issue is I only have 2 parents/cousins/relatives within 50 miles

soo.

I was wondering if any of you would reply to this with your answer, and save me having to go up to random people and asking them.

:D

(note do not feel obligated to do this purely optional )
The Think Geek Annoy-o-Tron, insanity in convenient attractive box.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

It is due to the fact that the Earth's axis from which it rotates is tilted. The incomming sunlight hits the planet at different angles depending on what part of the planet you are on, causing different variations of temperature. Over the course of a year, the axis faces the sun in different directions, thus changing the angle of sunlight, and thus changing the temperature at any given point on the planet's surface.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

I'd love to help, but I'am not old enough :(

And seasons?! like winter summer fall? What do you expect the answers to be?
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
tyger
Legendary
Legendary

Post by tyger »

Kaebora wrote:It is due to the fact that the Earth's axis from which it rotates is tilted. The incomming sunlight hits the planet at different angles depending on what part of the planet you are on, causing different variations of temperature. Over the course of a year, the axis faces the sun in different directions, thus changing the angle of sunlight, and thus changing the temperature at any given point on the planet's surface.
Additionally if I remember the orbit of the earth around the sun is eliptical.. like an oval shape so durring the summer seasons of the north and south it's closest to the sun as apposed to the winter times.. I think.. I might have had my brains scrambled one too many times.. by then and now.. o.o
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

The seasons change because God is lazy and forgets to check on our heat lamp, and has to periodically kick it in order for us not to freeze to death.

That the answer you wanted? :lol:
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

are you looking for serious scientific awnsers or just whjat comes to mind?
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

tyger wrote:Additionally if I remember the orbit of the earth around the sun is eliptical.. like an oval shape so durring the summer seasons of the north and south it's closest to the sun as apposed to the winter times.. I think.. I might have had my brains scrambled one too many times.. by then and now.. o.o
Oh yes, quite right. I forgot about that. You're good at recalling science. :D
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Kaebora wrote:
tyger wrote:Additionally if I remember the orbit of the earth around the sun is eliptical.. like an oval shape so durring the summer seasons of the north and south it's closest to the sun as apposed to the winter times.. I think.. I might have had my brains scrambled one too many times.. by then and now.. o.o
Oh yes, quite right. I forgot about that. You're good at recalling science. :D
No, no... I don't think that's how it works. True, the orbit is elliptical, but it doesn't effect which season is going on where, which is why the southern and northern hemispheres have opposite seasons from each other. (Don't use that, OP, I'm under 20)
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

ravaged_warrior wrote:(Don't use that, OP, I'm under 20)
Ha...yeah, don't use mine either. I keep forgetting this body is young.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Ask Fig, he's over 20. :lol: Maybe you want to reword the title to "Attention Anybody Over 20!!!"
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
geekboy1500
Legendary
Legendary

Post by geekboy1500 »

Fenrir wrote:I'd love to help, but I'am not old enough :(

And seasons?! like winter summer fall? What do you expect the answers to be?
pretty much what Kaebora said.

This (supposedly) [sp?] is to illusturate many of the incorrect ideas that people have. (though I doubt there will be many of those on this forumn. People here are MUCH sharper than tacks :D)
geekboy1500
Legendary
Legendary

Post by geekboy1500 »

White Paw wrote:are you looking for serious scientific awnsers or just whjat comes to mind?
just looking for what YOU believe. Make it as out there as you like. (it'll be MUCH funnier that way)
geekboy1500
Legendary
Legendary

Post by geekboy1500 »

nope i dont think so.

But i will undubitibly put them ALL in, even if I have more than10
Ancient
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Keeper of useless knowledge and information

Post by Ancient »

Well, I kow the right answer, but since you are looking for incorrect answers I can give a completly out there one for you.

Seasons change because the earth dips behind another planet and that makes it colder in the winter.

Sorry it's a stupid inncorect answer, but hey at least you'll get to put a wrong one down. Because I am over 20.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all art and science.-Albert Einstein
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Well I always thought that the earth axis tilts a bit and the earth drifts further and closer to the sun every year.

Wait is that right? :?
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Z wrote:ok, im 22 and my answer is that we have seasons becuz...wait a second i live in southern california, we don't HAVE seasons =/
Oh no! Time Paradox!! :lol:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

isnt this kinda of cheating tho? since someone can just reseach this topic online and no one will know it(i wont talk if you dont tho :wink: )
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

There are no seasons. The wether is always the same, and the changes only occour in our heads. So, when I'm outside, breaking my back shoveling snow, it's really just a mass induced psychosis beamed into my noggin.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Kaebora got it right, Tyger didn't. The Earth is actually closer to the sun during winter in the northern hemisphere.
(oh yeah, I'm 22)