Facial/head structure

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Facial/head structure

Post by Fang »

Well the name says it all, what do you think the head structre should be?

Personally I'm thinking a thicker neck and lager head, with a thicker muzzle than a normal wolf

I'm sure we don't want the old Wolfman style of face either
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori :P
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

I would suggest you keep the neck and head as close to"size" as you can, and add height at the forehead level. WHile the Werewolf's muzzle would be smaller and wider than a real Wolf's, you want to avoid anything that suggests a "Bear".
Your ears should be perhaps a tiny bit exaggerated and Pointed, not Rounded; this will give an optical illusion of the vertically long Wolf's head, whille making the forehead appear smaller.
You can add to the Wolf appearance with a Ruff, descending from the backs of the ears to the clavicles, in a contrasting color to your neck and body Fur.
That's my two bits...
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

not necessarily a solid muzzle bone structure but something to accomidate the constant expansion and contraction of it in the transformation and going back to the human state :)
STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Facial/head structure

Post by STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC »

Fang wrote:Well the name says it all, what do you think the head structre should be?

Personally I'm thinking a thicker neck and lager head, with a thicker muzzle than a normal wolf

God, I hated the way the original wolfman looked.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Re: Facial/head structure

Post by Vuldari »

STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC wrote:
Fang wrote:Well the name says it all, what do you think the head structre should be?

God, I hated the way the original wolfman looked.
Am I like one of four or five people in the entire Pack who actually Likes the old classic wolfman?

...sure, I don't think of it as the gold standard or anything, and prefer more canine looking werewolves most of the time, but even though it is not at all recognizable as a "Wolf", I still stand by the opinion that there is something inherently timeless and charismatic about the old Fuzz-Face .

...but maybe that's just me... Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Oh I like the classic wolfman too. It's not what I'd want to see with Freeborn, but it suits the old movies well enough.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

I actually think it's pretty good, and shows an effort (check out the way they structured the muzzle to make it look more wolfish and give off an illusion of depth). It was the '40s, what do people expect? An American Werewolf in London? Either way, it was a good movie, weird looking werewolf or not.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Matt
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Not so much a structural statement

Post by Matt »

I would really like to see some semblance of the human character remain even in full wolf form. Something to show at all times that (place actor's name) is still in there. I know this would be difficult because I believe that stunt doubles will be used to accomodate larger, more muscular. bodies (maybe editing is the answer). Just something subtle, a gesture or idiosyncracy shown by the actor or actress, then repeated by the WW. Or perhaps something more physical incorporated into the WW facial makeup design, which is why I brought this up on this thread. Thanks.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

The cranium has to be larger for more gray matter, since werewolves are just as intelligent as a human is, but it would be sloped for less drag and for ascetic reasons. There has to be large muscles connected to the jaws for bite strength, articulate muscles in a thicker muzzle for human speech.

Also the spine connects to the skull at an angle. So it can move its head in a comfortable position when walking or running on 2 or 4 legs. The neck might be a little longer, so it can a wider range of movement. Also I imagine there being a large muscle connecting the skull to the top of the back so it can compensate for the weight of the muzzle. So when running the head wont bounce too much with each stride.
THE GAME

My Armory
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

Generally... I almost hate the old style wolfman :P
I think the wolf styled head is the one which sould be in Freeborn, check out the Goldenwolf's works, you'll know what I mean :D
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
WereDragon25
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The lovestruck wolf.
Location: Conway, AR. Such a big town for such a small wolf...

It would be...

Post by WereDragon25 »

Ok, first, I didn't understand a WORD of what RedEye said, but, the neck size would probably be about the same size as a human's. But the muzzle, it would be a bit longer than a wolf's. Probably bigger too. I think that is what it would look like. :howl:  :oo
Going crazy with all of the work I do, all of the practice I do, and all of the $@#% I have to deal with. God, please help and support Obsidian and I get through this mess.
Image Image Image Image Image

"And, thanks to Undercover Brother, the world was once again a funky place."
Ranubis
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by Ranubis »

Shorter muzzle than a wolf, slightly narrower head than human and ears set between the side and top of the skull. I think the eyes would have to move slightly too, to accomodate the muzzle as that would be a little wider than a nose...I agree with having a ruff too, which would sweep down from behind the ears, over the shoulders and run part way down the spine.
"I have come home, good wife," he growled, "prepare me a bowl of cabbage."
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I think of a gestalt's head to look basicaly just like a normal wolf head. Maybe a slightey broader muzzle; longer fangs, and can do better human-like expressions(slightly, not like a cartoon!). And the spine would connect a bit lower on the skull, so its better for standing upright and all :D
chubhound
Legendary
Legendary

Post by chubhound »

This might not be the EXACT right place for this, but it's all I could find....so, I'm gonna bring this up. I've looked over most of the werewolf movies I have, and I noticed something. In almost all of them (Howling, Cursed, AWIL, etc....) the werewolves have a bare face. I never understood why that is. I've never seen a picture of a wolf that had a hairless muzzle/snout & face. I hope that made sense. Anyone have an idea as to why those werewolves have faces like that?
Life is too serious to be taken too seriously
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I'd say it should look humanish (ofcourse still in a wolf way), since I believe that werewolves are still humans.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

I would say the ears should be normal wolf ears and the muzzle a normal wolf muzzle for the size. the forhead should be a little larger (although this gives it a coyote effect) but is reasonable given the higher intellegence of either creature over a normal wolf.

things I have hated in werewolf movies have been overly exagerated faces that end up looking like baboons or bears.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.