Books

The place for anything at all...
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Books

Post by Aki »

I realized that there's no topic on books, and having been reading some pretty awesome ones lately, making one seemed the logical choice. So, what are you reading? What do you recommend? Etc.

I just got through with Ender's Game and World War Z. Both excellent books. If you're into Sci-Fi, and especially if you're young, Ender's Game is awesome. Especially with the twists, heh heh. Or some of the kid's conversations. And World War Z ....well, if you even remotely like zombies, get the book. It rocks the casbah. It's a very detailed and realistic account of a human vs. zombie war. All kinds of different characters and their accounts of the war throughout it's stages. Awesome book.

Though, due to it, I'm probably going to be unconsciously assessing the viability of any structure I'm in against a zombie attack for quite a while. :lol:
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

I'm about half way done with NightWatch. It's translated from Russian and it's mainly about a battle vs. good and evil....literally. There are some good spots and some bad spots but the book over all is ok so far :)
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Hmm..I think the last book I ever read was Bitten. Was a great werewolf book :jester:
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: TV!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mood: RAR!

Post by *nagowteena* »

Teh_DarkJokerWolf wrote:Hmm..I think the last book I ever read was Bitten. Was a great werewolf book :jester:
yah that's a great book. :D you should also read stolen, it's the next one. And for me, I have just finished a few SMALLVILLE Novels, Dragon by Alan Grant, City by Devin Arayson, Whodunnit by Dean Wisley Smith, Strange Visitors by Roger Stern, Hauntings by Nancy Holder, and the one I just finished, Curse by Alan Grant. I think anyone who likes SMALLVILLE would like these books
Image Image
Yeah, that hits the spot..DeviantArt ~ Youtube Avatar by Z
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself
Mood: Meh...

Post by lupine »

:D Yep! Stolen is Tops! The last one (Broken)was a little lame tho.
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

I'm reading Lisey's Story and The Colour of Magic (not as fruity as it sounds).
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Resident Chakat

Post by Short Tail »

BlackWolfDS wrote:I'm about half way done with NightWatch. It's translated from Russian and it's mainly about a battle vs. good and evil....literally. There are some good spots and some bad spots but the book over all is ok so far :)
If you like the book, you should check out the movie sometime.
The last books I read and enjoyed Were Dragon Champion and Dragon Avenger; Books 1 and 2 of the Age of Fire series. These were a refreshing twist on the dragon stories as they are "biographies" of two dragon siblings and them growing up. They were written by E. E. Knight.

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Champion-A ... 0451460472
"War is over if you want it to be. Imagine all the people living life in peace." - John & Yoko
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

ive read both eragon books, Panzer aces 2, Infrantry aces, A army at dawn, 50 weapons that changed warfare, how hitler could have won ww2, Iwo Jima, and the Korean war, also ive read tons of comic pages in my time( all in the last 2 years)
o and i forgot, the 2 age of fire books
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

The last book I read that I liked and that I bought and read purely for my own reading pleasure was Finders Seekers, Book #1 of The Ghatti's Tale trilogy by Gayle Greeno. It's a pretty little-known author and series though, so I'm having a hard time finding the rest of the trilogy.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

Yes, we dont have a general book discussion area but we do have a werewolf novel area.

http://www.thepacksden.com/thepackboard ... m.php?f=39

For all those of you that liked Bitten or Stolen. There are topics discussing them there.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
In_Cruce_Salus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by In_Cruce_Salus »

Lets see, in the last month I've read:

Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton: Family politics among dragons.

The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden by Catherynne Valente: This is a great book. If you enjoy traditional and original fairy tales, then read this book. There's even a bit of shapeshifting involved.

Raptor Red by Robert Bakker: fictional account of what a dinosaur's life may have been like.

At the moment I'm reading a book called The Good German by Joseph Kanon: *Another* WW2 book. A bit different, though, for this one is about the aftermath. Y'know, the rebuilding of Berlin, the search for lost loved ones, and the question of who should be tried and punished for the war.
Initial Here: ___
Here: ___
And Here: ___

Sign on the dotted line: .................................
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The hip-hoppinest, nacho-lovinest lycanthrope

Post by nachoboy »

well, right now, i'm readin Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air. it's the true story bout his mt. everest climb where what, 5 or 6 peeps died? it's pretty crazy. i'm likin it so far.

anyways, my fave books would hafta be Kenneth Grahame's Wind in the Willows (oh gosh i love this book... i mean, wow! how does somebody even write so wonderfully?!) and Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.'s God Bless You, Dr. Kavorkian. great books, right therr.
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
"It is a widely known fact that ALL werewolves love Malt-o-Meal."
http://djnacho.deviantart.com
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself

Post by lupine »

Not long finished Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks. Amazing, gut wrenchingly vivid story of wwI, with a little romance thrown in for the ladies :lol:

Currently halfway through the Viz Profanisaurous. Seriously funny!!
Also in the process of reading The Way Of The Wyrd by Brian Bates for the 5th time.
http://www.wayofwyrd.com/
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

BlackWolfDS wrote:I'm about half way done with NightWatch. It's translated from Russian and it's mainly about a battle vs. good and evil....literally. There are some good spots and some bad spots but the book over all is ok so far :)
I've seen that in stores. I wanted to grab it but I always get distracted by a book that ranks higher on my "must read" list. Is the movie based on it, or the other way around?
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary

Post by BlackWolfDS »

Aki wrote:
I've seen that in stores. I wanted to grab it but I always get distracted by a book that ranks higher on my "must read" list. Is the movie based on it, or the other way around?
On the cover there is a small circle that says "Now a major motion picture." I'm guessing the book came first...that would imply that all three stories are in it (the movie)...hmm has anyone seen the Nightwatch movie?
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

hmm has anyone seen the Nightwatch movie?
I have. It was better than I expected, though you can pretty much tell from the ending they plan to film the other two books in the series. At the very least, it's worth a rental.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

I actually have the Book Stolen, but I haven't read it yet :Jester3: Kelly Armstrong makes good books I know that much :jester:
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

BlackWolfDS wrote:
Aki wrote:
On the cover there is a small circle that says "Now a major motion picture." I'm guessing the book came first...that would imply that all three stories are in it (the movie)...hmm has anyone seen the Nightwatch movie?
Ah. Probably book first then.

I haven't seen the movie yet. But I want too.
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

I just bought the third Chronicels of Ancient Darkness book; "Soul Eaters"
http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Ancien ... 664&sr=8-1
Also 'Wolf Brother" and "Spirit Walker" A really good series that :D

I buy lots of books that I still have yet to read.

Dragon Champion; more of the latest Warrior series (cats!) :D ; One for Sorrow two for Joy (birds!), The Golden Compass, Broken (Kelly Armstrong), and many, many more....

I should really get around to those...
In_Cruce_Salus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by In_Cruce_Salus »

Lately I've been reading the Moreau Omnibus by S. Andrew Swann. Interesting concept, and rather well written (although there are a few typos that are quite annoying.)

Pretty much all of Kelly Armstrong's books are good. Finished her latest one (Broken, I believe) a month or two ago.
Initial Here: ___
Here: ___
And Here: ___

Sign on the dotted line: .................................
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

BlackWolfDS wrote:
Aki wrote:
I did. It was pretty confusing, since it really didn't give you enough of its internal logic to understand what was going on for some scenes, so I wasn't able to like it as much as I should have. And the second movie, Day Watch, has already been finished. I don't think it's been brought over here yet, though. The third film, Dusk Watch, comes out this year in Russia.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

I am currently reading (or meaning to read) the third Harry Potter book (since book 7 comes out in July). And The Inferno by Dante Alegarie.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

I just finished Lord Demon by Roger Zelazny and Jane Lindskold. I love that book!
Amoux
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lost in a February Song

Post by Amoux »

The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald is by far the best novel I've ever read. :D :D
Literature is the one place in any society where, within the secrecy of our own heads, we can hear voices talking about everything in every possible way.

----Salman Rushdie
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary

Post by BlackWolfDS »

Amoux wrote:The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald is by far the best novel I've ever read. :D :D
You had to read it for school didn't you?
I honestly didn't like it that much when they made us read it...I liked Load of the Flies as a school book better.