Body Condition Vs "THE BITE"

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Body Condition Vs "THE BITE"

Post by Figarou »

1st of all, lets set aside all those werewolf legends, myths, lore, and traditions and look at this from a scientific point of view, shall we? :wink:

We all know the human body comes in many shapes, colors, sizes and chemistry. We have our blood types, and so on. But not everyone is perfect. Meaning that some of us may require glasses in order to see. Some can be allergic to chemicals or food items. A peanut can make someone sick or possiably kill them if eaten.

What about the werewolf? Is the werewolf "perfect?" Werewolves do have thier weaknesses and they can die. Is the chemical make up the same in all werewolves? Do they have the same blood type after becoming a werewolf? Are some werewolves greater than others? Can a bite be more leathal from one werewolf compared to another?

Ok, Now for the bite issue. (Note- These are plain bites in an area that won't cause instant death. For example-The arm. No skin or muscle was torn away.)

Say you have a human that was bitten by a werewolf. But that person dies. What caused the death of that person? Was the virus to much for him? Did his body have a chemical reaction that lead to his death? Was he allergic to the virus? What kind of werewolf is needed to kill a person from a simple bite?

Next issue.

A person is bitten and the werewolf passed the virus. But the human never became a werewolf. Was the virus from the werewolf a weak one? Did the human overcome the virus?

Next issue

A person is bitten by a werewolf. But it takes several months, maybe years, to actually become a werewolf. What caused the delay? Did it lie dormant in the human body? What kind of werewolf bit him?

Next issue

A person is bitten by a werewolf and instantly becomes one moments later under a full moon. What kind of person can have that type of reaction so quickly? How did the virus spread so quickly? What kind of werewolf bit him?

Yes, I know. Tradition says the person bitten by a werewolf becomes one by the next moon cycle. But thats all it is!! A tradition!!! Is there facts to prove it? NO! Because werewolves dont exist!!! None of the statements I posted above can be proven.

N E Who. Its something to think about.

Now to go toss some duckies!!! :duckie
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Body Condition Vs "THE BITE"

Post by Vilkacis »

Figarou wrote:1st of all, lets set aside all those werewolf legends, myths, lore, and traditions and look at this from a scientific point of view, shall we? :wink:
Be careful what you wish for. Most, if not all, of these questions are invalid from a scientific point of view. I think, perhaps, you mean the "what if," and apply logic from there-type point of view. But if we assume werewolves exist ("what if"), then what are we basing our assumptions on, except legend, lore, or our own point of view? You're going to get nothing but opinion from this thread.
Figarou wrote:We all know the human body comes in many shapes, colors, sizes and chemistry. We have our blood types, and so on. But not everyone is perfect. Meaning that some of us may require glasses in order to see. Some can be allergic to chemicals or food items. A peanut can make someone sick or possiably kill them if eaten.

What about the werewolf?
I think the werewolf would be much the same: many shapes, colors, sizes and chemestry. I imagine the majority of this would reflect what existed before lycanthropy was contracted.
Figarou wrote:Is the werewolf "perfect?"
Who decides 'perfect'? I don't think werewolves are perfect inasmuch as I don't believe anything is perfect. I believe werewolves are perfect inasmuch as I believe everything is perfect. Everything in this world has balance. Does it make sense that I might believe all three of these things?

I believe werewolves would have both strengths and weaknesses, good along with imperfections, and that that is exactly how they should be. Perfect by not being perfect.
Figarou wrote:Werewolves do have their weaknesses and they can die.
That's the way I see it, too, but you're making assumptions! *pegs Figarou with a ducky*
Figarou wrote:Is the chemical make up the same in all werewolves?
That really depends on how widely or narrowly you're setting the scale. On the narrow end: is the chemical make-up of anything even the same from one moment to the next? On the wide end: of course they're the same, all of their chemical make-ups contain the lycanthropy virus! I imagine, however, that you were getting at the 'all werewolves look the same' argument. To that, I would say that they would contain certain similarities, of course (i.e. the 'virus' and whatever it does to the system), but they would also be strongly affected by the existing chemical make-up.
Figarou wrote:Do they have the same blood type after becoming a werewolf?
That depends on whether or not lycanthropy does, or can, alter the surface markers on cells (as I recall, that is how blood type is determined?). If it can, likely the new blood type will be called: Lycanthropy positive. I imagine the existing markers will not be removed, so perhaps the blood types will be classified the same way, but with or without the lycanthope markers.
Figarou wrote:Are some werewolves greater than others?
Greater height? Greater girth? A greater personality? Greater body odor?

Just all-around greater? It seems to me that talents, skills and abilities would very much be dependant on the individual.
Figarou wrote:Can a bite be more leathal from one werewolf compared to another?

Ok, Now for the bite issue. (Note- These are plain bites in an area that won't cause instant death. For example-The arm. No skin or muscle was torn away.)
Probably not, unless the person being bitten was somehow allergic, or something. As I see it, no matter how much or little of the virus you initially get, it will spread until it reaches equilibrium in your body, and then stay at that point. It's possible, then, that a large werewolf might transfer more of the virus to the victim, but even if they transferred, say, twice as much of the virus to the victim than a less massive werewolf, it's not like the spread of the virus will be much increased.

To give an example, let's say you have a bacteria that doubles every minute. If you start with one, you will get 2.882303x10^17 after 30 minutes (the number is not really important). Now what if you start with twice as many? Will you get the same number in half the time? No, it will take 29 minutes to get the same number, only 1 minute less.

In the same way, even if twice as much of the virus is inserted, the process as a whole may only lose a few minutes. The only consideration when it comes to quanitity is whether a very small amount might be fought off successfully by the body, or whether a very large amount might keep the body from functioning properly until the virus takes hold (say, for example, the injected amount was enough to dilute the bloodstream so that oxygen could not be transferred correctly). I think it's safe to say that the amount transferred by a werewolf would probably not deviate from average enough to exceed ether limit, although the severity of the bite might come into play.
Figarou wrote:Say you have a human that was bitten by a werewolf. But that person dies. What caused the death of that person?
Chances are, it was from being bitten.
:lol:

I don't really see many reasons why the virus would kill them, except if they were allergic, somehow.
Figarou wrote:Was the virus to much for him?
I doubt it, unless they were very sick from the beginning.
Figarou wrote:Did his body have a chemical reaction that lead to his death?
I wouldn't think so, myself. It doesn't seem likely to me that whatever lycanthopic agent is making the changes would do anything more to certain people than whatever changes it normally makes. I'm not sure the body chemistry is significantly different between people at the level that the agent is working.
Figarou wrote:Was he allergic to the virus? What kind of werewolf is needed to kill a person from a simple bite?
Maybe if they don't brush their teeth... Seriously, though, infection might play a role. I'm not sure it would be the case with werewolves, but the human mouth really is very dirty, even a mouth that is brushed regularly can cause serious infection if the teeth break the skin.
Figarou wrote:Next issue.

A person is bitten and the werewolf passed the virus. But the human never became a werewolf. Was the virus from the werewolf a weak one? Did the human overcome the virus?
The way I see it, as long as the amount transferred is not insignificant, the human body will not be able to fight it off (unless vaccinated? =P). I don't think the virus will be any weaker in one werewolf compared to another. However, perhaps it's possible that some external agent may prevent the virus from spreading, or kill it off. I can't think of what that might be, though. Chances are, it would have to be applied quickly and locally, as it is unlikely the human body could survive it in large quantities either.

Figarou wrote:Next issue

A person is bitten by a werewolf. But it takes several months, maybe years, to actually become a werewolf. What caused the delay? Did it lie dormant in the human body? What kind of werewolf bit him?

Next issue

A person is bitten by a werewolf and instantly becomes one moments later under a full moon. What kind of person can have that type of reaction so quickly? How did the virus spread so quickly? What kind of werewolf bit him?

Yes, I know. Tradition says the person bitten by a werewolf becomes one by the next moon cycle. But thats all it is!! A tradition!!! Is there facts to prove it? NO! Because werewolves dont exist!!! None of the statements I posted above can be proven.
I'll just address that big chunk all at once:

The way I see it, the moon wouldn't be a factor in this at all (except, perhaps psychologically). The virus would take a certain amount of time to take hold in the body, after which time the werewolf will begin to transform (likely in response to the effect certain extermal stimuli have on the body) without the ability to control it. Eventually, they will learn to have enough control over their body to prevent or induce the changes mostly at will. I can't think of any good reasons for the process to be delayed for any length of time.

Figarou wrote:N E Who. Its something to think about.

Now to go toss some duckies!!!
-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:
Figarou wrote:1st of all, lets set aside all those werewolf legends, myths, lore, and traditions and look at this from a scientific point of view, shall we? :wink:
Be careful what you wish for. Most, if not all, of these questions are invalid from a scientific point of view. I think, perhaps, you mean the "what if," and apply logic from there-type point of view. But if we assume werewolves exist ("what if"), then what are we basing our assumptions on, except legend, lore, or our own point of view? You're going to get nothing but opinion from this thread.

I want to see your opinions or ideas. Not someone elses legends, lores and myths. Thats why I asked to leave them out.

Sure..make it a "what if..."

Vilkacis wrote:
Figarou wrote:Werewolves do have their weaknesses and they can die.
That's the way I see it, too, but you're making assumptions! *pegs Figarou with a ducky*

-- Vilkacis
Hey!! That smarts!!! :o

And I'm suprized you typed it in instead of using teh icon I made. :lol:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:

The way I see it, as long as the amount transferred is not insignificant, the human body will not be able to fight it off (unless vaccinated? =P). I don't think the virus will be any weaker in one werewolf compared to another. However, perhaps it's possible that some external agent may prevent the virus from spreading, or kill it off. I can't think of what that might be, though. Chances are, it would have to be applied quickly and locally, as it is unlikely the human body could survive it in large quantities either.

-- Vilkacis

Soooo..your saying there is a cure?

What I'm saying is that he was bitten, but never became a werewolf. He didn't take a drug or an anti werewolf virus agent.

Think man, think!! :wink:
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Figarou wrote:And I'm suprized you typed it in instead of using teh icon I made. :lol:
Well, that icon didn't quite describe the action I was trying to convey.

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:
Figarou wrote:And I'm suprized you typed it in instead of using teh icon I made. :lol:
Well, that icon didn't quite describe the action I was trying to convey.

-- Vilkacis

Hmmmm........

pegs...bonks......same thing. :D
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Figarou wrote:Soooo..your saying there is a cure?
I'm leaving it open as a possibility, although not as a cure, per se. Once the lycanthropy has advanced enough, there is likely no going back (unless we hypothesize a virus that works similarly to lycanthropy, but reverses the process--highly unlikely). But there might be things that will kill the virus. Problem is, those things would probably also kill the human. But if the virus had very recently been injected, it might be possible to use the agent to destroy the virus before it spreads without killing the human.
Figarou wrote:What I'm saying is that he was bitten, but never became a werewolf. He didn't take a drug or an anti werewolf virus agent.
I'm saying I don't think that would happen unless there was so little of the virus that the body was able to fight it off easily, or something like that.

-- Vilkacis
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Figarou wrote:Hmmmm........

'Bonks' would imply a downward arc of motion, whereas 'pegs' is both more direct and a bit more forceful.

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:
Figarou wrote:What I'm saying is that he was bitten, but never became a werewolf. He didn't take a drug or an anti werewolf virus agent.
I'm saying I don't think that would happen unless there was so little of the virus that the body was able to fight it off easily, or something like that.

-- Vilkacis
I C UR .
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Figarou wrote:I C UR .
1F u w4n+ T0 b3 |_|Nd3rS+o0D, i+ h3Lpz tO sP34k pLa1N 3nGL1sH.

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:
Figarou wrote:I C UR .
1F u w4n+ T0 b3 |_|Nd3rS+o0D, i+ h3Lpz tO sP34k pLa1N 3nGL1sH.

-- Vilkacis
woof snarl bark Grrrrrr woof!!

Heh, werewolf talk!! :D
Vilkacis wrote:
Figarou wrote:Hmmmm........

'Bonks' would imply a downward arc of motion, whereas 'pegs' is both more direct and a bit more forceful.

-- Vilkacis

different method, same results. :D
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Lycanthropological Pathology, vol. 3 no. 47, 06/14/2025

Post by Scott Gardener »

OK. There was no way I could not post on this topic. So, here goes.

On the "next full moon":

That's actually recent lore, primarily through popular culture. Remember that the "cursed" werewolf with an "affliction" is not part of classical werewolf lore, but instead contemporary material. That doesn't mean it doesn't make for good story material, however. But, the assumption that the first shift happens the next full moon is a fairly new one--mostly just in the last 70 years. (Werewolf of London, the first movie to go into shifting on a full moon, came out in 1935.)

I certainly agree that the question of werewolves with asthma or diabetes is often overlooked. Part of that is the tendancy to forget about health problems in general, again a problem Hollywood has taught us. You don't see diabetics unless the need for insulin is a key plot device.

The only characters who wear glasses are either techies, nerds, or the main character if it's a major plot point. In reality, 53% of people--more than half--have to wear corrective eyewear. I'm one of them, and statistically so are half of you.

Wolves actually have worse vision than humans. The human eye is in terms of senses one of our species' strong points. Most mammals, and for that matter, most animals overall, have comparatively poor vision, with the notable exception of a number of birds, who rely more heavily on distant sight. Lycanthropy curing nearsightedness therefore is going outside the realm of what is normal for wolves. If anything, a werewolf's vision could conceivably get worse, especially if the eyes are shifting that nifty yellow or icy blue color. (I also realized a few months after finishing my novel that I forgot to mention that the character wears glasses. I'm considering sending it to a publisher next year, but before doing so, that will be one of the first things I fix.)

If lycanthropy cures all kinds of other problems that are normal for wolves to have, then it would almost certainly have to be by some intelligent design, meaning that lycanthropy would have to have been made by a superior intellect, rather than having evolved randomly. Not that random evolution would make lycanthropy popping up into existance easy as it is and going unnoticed except for the occasional legend or movie.

Lycanthropy could plausibly solve some health problems, however. Canines do not have atherosclerosis of the arteries, which causes the overwhelming majority of strokes and heart attacks, the first and third leading causes of death, respectively, among humans in first world countries. Lycanthropic regeneration could also conceivably solve problems such as chronic back pain following injury, and the enhanced sense of smell might help discourage taking up smoking, or cause an existing smoker to quit, thus preventing everything from COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or emphysema) to all kinds of different cancers.

But, it could also cause problems. I'd hate to think about what would happen to someone who already had terrible back problems, and had a lumbar fusion with surgical orthopedic hardware implanted in the low back.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

just make a pegs icon. have the duckie coming from the side and the wolf tip over.
Kavik
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Kavik the Wolf-Boy
Mood: Busy

Post by Kavik »

Okay, I'll bite. 8)

Figarou wrote:What about the werewolf? Is the werewolf "perfect?" Werewolves do have thier weaknesses and they can die. Is the chemical make up the same in all werewolves? Do they have the same blood type after becoming a werewolf? Are some werewolves greater than others? Can a bite be more leathal from one werewolf compared to another?

I think that lycanthropy exists within an individual as a genetic condition, and as such it is subject to the vaguarities of the dirty gene pools it's drawn from. A werewolf with parents who are both werewolves is more likely to be "closer to perfection" than someone with no known history of lycanthropy, but it's no guarantee.

As for the bite, that too is subject to random factors, as a virus can mutate several generations in a year. The virus that initially changed a particular werewolf may not be the same strain that he or she transmits when biting others, though that's really stretching it. I think there are several strains of the virus, some being more lethal than others (this is where the genetic disposition for lycanthropy comes into play; a nearly lycanthropy-free person will simply die when in contact with one of the more aggressive strains, while anyone named Talbot is pretty much a cinch for full moon fevah).

Figarou wrote:Ok, Now for the bite issue. (Note- These are plain bites in an area that won't cause instant death. For example-The arm. No skin or muscle was torn away.)

Say you have a human that was bitten by a werewolf. But that person dies. What caused the death of that person? Was the virus to much for him? Did his body have a chemical reaction that lead to his death? Was he allergic to the virus? What kind of werewolf is needed to kill a person from a simple bite?

If some humans have the "therianthropy" gene(s) that react favorably to the virus, others are just as likely to be allergic to it. Plenty of sources suggest that not all werewolf bite victims will survive the process, and I tend to agree. If the virus was capable of transforming everyone, we'd have epidemics across the globe, or else the Earth would be the Planet of the Lupins.

Some people change, some people die, and some people are just carriers. Theoretically one may even develope an immunity to a particular strain of lycanthropy, but still be affected by others.

A diluted quantity of the virus, combined with only a marginal genetic tendancy towards shapeshifting, may let the virus stew for a while without fading away entirely, then finally kicking in with the proper trigger, such as an adrenaline rush in a fight or flight scenario, or possibly being in close proximity to a shapeshifting werewolf.

IMO, such a person likely inherited therianthropy from both parents, but it was not a dominant trait in either one. The genes are there, aching to be triggered, and they react immediately to the double stimuli of werewolf virus and full moonlight. This would of course be a rather rare situation.

Figarou wrote:Now to go toss some duckies!!! :duckie

Careful, those things bite! Werefowl is just an anagram of werewolf, ya know.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
Give a man a poisoned fish, feed him for life.
- Crazy Ivan (aka Kavik)
http://s3.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=167865
http://www.geocities.com/crazy_ivan_thx11/Talbot.htm
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

Ya know, I could make a damn fine doccumentary on the Discovery Channel with all this stuff.

Or write a term paper.

ultimately, there will have to be 'some' suspension of disbelief. it is a movie after all, a story, characters, plot.. some things will be explained, some things are equally mysterious even to the characters themselves..

I just don't see how I could explain all this in a film without it turning into a tech discussion. I'll put 'some' in, but some is gonna have to be what it is... and go without saying. As usual, I go back to shakespeare.

"There are more things in heaven and earth that are dreampt of in your philosophy horatio."
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Figarou wrote: Say you have a human that was bitten by a werewolf. But that person dies. What caused the death of that person? Was the virus to much for him? Did his body have a chemical reaction that lead to his death? Was he allergic to the virus? What kind of werewolf is needed to kill a person from a simple bite?
I think a human can only die 'when its too much for him' when the transformation actually begins (at the next full moon, or whatever).
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

ABrownrigg wrote:I just don't see how I could explain all this in a film without it turning into a tech discussion. I'll put 'some' in, but some is gonna have to be what it is... and go without saying.
I would say a very large majority of what we discuss in these forums shouldn't make it in the movie, but merely be kept in mind. Or, if included, go without saying, as you mentioned. While I like a movie that has logic behind it, I can't say as I like it when the movie has to spend time explaining this and that, and every little thing. I would absolutely love to see that kind of thing in a book, but not so much in a movie. A little bit of explanation is fine, here and there, but the less that needs explaining, the better.

-- Vilkacis
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Actually, if the movie did go into this much detail, I'd have to commission someone to make a hundred pound cast-iron duckie, designed to be fired out of a cannon.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Kavik wrote: If the virus was capable of transforming everyone, we'd have epidemics across the globe, or else the Earth would be the Planet of the Lupins.
Not really, i see it this way;

A Werewolf can transmit the virus, through body secretions like saliva or blood for instance. Of course, this requires the fluid to be present and in a high enough quantity to infect the human successfully (IE: The Virus isn't fought off and anhiliated by immune system).

There is a simple solution to this, and it rests in the hands of the Lycanthrope.

If you plan on lettiing someone live after encountering you in a Gestalt form, use claws, unless you slobber on your claws you're pretty safe when it comes to infection.

If you're gonna kill someone, use anything. They won't live long enough for the virus to set in and turn them into a werewolf.

Most people who know of/see a Werewolf tend to be promptly ...silenced by the Werewolf.
Kavik
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kavik »

Vilkacis wrote:
ABrownrigg wrote:I just don't see how I could explain all this in a film without it turning into a tech discussion. I'll put 'some' in, but some is gonna have to be what it is... and go without saying.
I would say a very large majority of what we discuss in these forums shouldn't make it in the movie, but merely be kept in mind. Or, if included, go without saying, as you mentioned. While I like a movie that has logic behind it, I can't say as I like it when the movie has to spend time explaining this and that, and every little thing. I would absolutely love to see that kind of thing in a book, but not so much in a movie. A little bit of explanation is fine, here and there, but the less that needs explaining, the better.

-- Vilkacis

Absolutely. Save the pseudo-science for the AnimalPlanet expose on werewolves... and of course, the FREEBORN novelization!

And softwarewolves like us. 8)
- Crazy Ivan (aka Kavik)
Kavik
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kavik »

Aki wrote:
Not really, i see it this way;

A Werewolf can transmit the virus, through body secretions like saliva or blood for instance. Of course, this requires the fluid to be present and in a high enough quantity to infect the human successfully (IE: The Virus isn't fought off and anhiliated by immune system).

There are sources suggesting the mere scratch from a werewolf can induce lycanthropy. Of course, these may be cases of people who already possess everything they need to be werewolves, but require an external trigger to get the ball rolling (as per the "years later, they transform for the first time" question).
Aki wrote:There is a simple solution to this, and it rests in the hands of the Lycanthrope.

If you plan on letting someone live after encountering you in a Gestalt form, use claws, unless you slobber on your claws you're pretty safe when it comes to infection.

If you're gonna kill someone, use anything. They won't live long enough for the virus to set in and turn them into a werewolf.

Most people who know of/see a Werewolf tend to be promptly ...silenced by the Werewolf.

True, but if the virus is still present in human form, blood donations and unprotected sex could spread lycanthropy mighty quickly. Look what they did for HIV.
- Crazy Ivan (aka Kavik)
Arania
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Arania »

It looks like most of what I would have contributed has been said already.

I agree that the "infection" would need to be transmitted via bodily fluids into the blood stream of the new werewolf (ie, a scratch wouldn't do it, unless the werewolf had been sucking on his claws.) Perhaps even so much as a need for blood-blood contact, but that goes against a lot of the established mythos of a bite spreading it (unless a werewolf had injured gums, and given the general consensus that werewolve heal quickly this is less likely).

I agree with Vilkacis that a lot of the "scientific" explanation has to first turn to either myth OR opinion. Because of the simple fact that to most of our knowledge, werewolves don't actually exist as much as we'd like them to, until proven otherwise ^_~. So, whatever ideal someone comes up with, there can usually be some sort of at least semi-scientific explanation, within reason. Some explanations, however, seem more likely than others. For example, given our knowledge of genetics, it seems that lycanthropy would probably act something like a retrovirus, seeking and replacing at various points in the DNA, replicating itself, and then spreading to a new cell.

Therefore, like any virus, it would be POSSIBLE for the body to react in a number of different ways to it. The body would probably at least attempt to fight any foreign substance, and thus a werewolf upon infection might become feverish as the body is trying to fight the "virus". It might be possible for this process to kill the individual if their temperature gets too high. Alternatively, on the first change, it might be too much for a body to handle - especially if they're very old, very young, really out of shape or sickly. The massive amounts of change, increased heart rate, etc etc etc could all cause a stroke or aneurism in an individual. I actually LIKE this idea, as it is the single BIGGEST reason why there aren't thousands of werewolves out there. Accidental infections are dangerous as is - and it's something for a werwolf to consider if he wants to intentially infect someone - the process itself might kill them. So if werewolf a cares about human b and wants to make them a werewolf to live happily ever after, werewolf a has to face the possibility that the process itself might kill person b.

I also totally think that who the person was to begin with would have STRONG influences over what they are like as a werewolf. Blood type wouldn't change, and blood type wouldn't even be lycanthropic positive or negative - more so that they would have new alleles introduced into their system - poerhaps even completely new chromosomes. It's a genetic species more than the presence or lack of A, B, i. A stronger individual would be a comparitively stronger werewolf. Someone with Blood type O, would become a werewolf with blood type O. The same that their hair color would not change when they're in human form.

I do not think that the "lethalness" of the werewolf would be the determining factor so much as how individuals react to it. Although there MIGHT be different strains. A virus is almost like a living being in that there are differences between two of the "same". However, usualy for all intensive purposes it has similar "symptoms" and can be harder to fight off..... but I really dont' see this being a BIG deal in any literature or movie. Usually strains of viruses aren't harder for the body to fight off - but might have adapted to be more resilient towards antibiotics. It would have NOTHING to do with the size of the werewolf, only the strain of the infection.

As far as when a person changes... I could say that SOME myth could come into play being that maybe there is some sort of catalyst with the full moon - be it metaphysical, psychological, or some sort of visual-body trigger. Usually, a werewolf I woudl think would undergo their first change under the next full moon - but other things could catalyze it to occur sooner. Be it the body's reaction to the virus, external stresses, etc. IT's also possible that a normal individual who was bitten, say, right after the previous full moon, having nearly a month for incubation of the virus, and did not undergo abnormal stressors, would have a greater survival rate?

Peope aren't "allergic" to viruses - some people a more resilient immune system, or have some sort of genotype that makes them more resilient to a particular type of virus (such as people who have the heterozygous coding for sicle cell anemia are resilient towards Malaria because the way malaria attacks the blood cells make it harder to attack sickled cells.)

I also think that there would be no "Cure" per se. It woudl completely rewrite a person's genetic makeup. Short of genetic engineering. It MIGHT be possible for a person to research a way to suppress them from being able to physically change, but I don't see a way for them to make them genetically human again. It IS possible that there might be a vaccine - but not "curing" an infected individual - like Vilkacis said - by isolating the virus, and killing it, and injecting it into a system, or such a small or weakeend quantity that the body can produce anitibodies towards it.

Scott Gardener is also MORE than correct that most of the popular werewolf knowledge (victims, full moons, silver, etc) is ALL recent - with Hollywood. Traditional werewolf myths generally consisted of individuals cursed to be wolves by deities or devils or sorcerors - or people who donned wolf pelts or smeared themselves with salves to willingly change. IT was more associated with witchcraft that a particular SPECIES of being.

I think, health problem-wise, if we're goign with regeneration being a trait of lycanthropes, then they would be more resilient towards disease, and recover faster from injury. But it wouldn't cure genetic problems like diabetes. If eye sight was enhanced witht he process naturally (which like Scott said, isn't a trait among WOLVES, but if it is for werewolves, then sure - maybe people with poor eye sight would have that remedied *shrugs* ))

Sorry for the rant!

And Abrownrigg - that would be a FUN term paper, but I don't think theoretical, speculative subject like that would be valid in most classes ^_~ - If so, I'd love to take it!!
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Anthony: Yes, its also why I love these forums, our capability to actully think, in which most people are not able to do (he he). With all this thought a documentary could easily come from it. Infact, you never know.
:wink:
1st of all, lets set aside all those werewolf legends, myths, lore, and traditions and look at this from a scientific point of view, shall we?
We are talking about something very untrue and unreal in the first place, sorry. You understand that screws up the whole thing right? NONE of this can happen with a sceintific stand point, even with a 'what if' scenario. I find the more I talk that way the more it seems quite unlikely.

To start off, you mention 'Perfect'. When, well, what is perfect. A state of mind? Being? Does it only exsist in our thoughts. If perfect is not being able to improve, then they are flawed not?

Now I shall play Devils Advocate:
Is the chemical make up the same in all werewolves?
Yes. And I had mentioned that in the long derailed 'Genetic diversity' topic. If a werewolf bites a human it is enjecting their DNA into that person. That person uses that coding to become in a wolf form, which because that is the information inwhich they have and can use, they should become a copy of the werewolf that had bitten them when in full wolf form, with the exception of a mutation. Apparently in the topic had the suggested that the original and new coding will form together and mutate into a new one. Yet what would cause them to accept each other let along form together?

Lets say I was bitten by Fig. Fig is a cute and beautiful brown wolf with big white areas. I have obtained the configurements of a wolven form from him, I have now his wolven DNA in me. That means that when it comes time that I change into a wolf I should be a copy of Fig when he had bit me, and ofcource his health at the time would not effect me. How could I turn into another color of wolf? That is the only information withen me to become a wolf is the one Fig had given me. And because Fig is a man, and I'm a girl. I may have an *Ahem* but would most likely be sterile, whether as a wolf or then both forms.

Edit: Speaking of being sterile, it is likely that if the werewolf coding contains information for reproduction parts, then most likely they will be sterile. If it doesn't there is still a posibility that the changing of body and stress may effect even their human form to be sterile. Yet if I were a werewolf (or llama.) I would not want to pass it on to my child. There is no reason to bite people in the first place, unless they just want to hold a sort of 'tradition' withen them selves. If a werewolf bites another it is best to stay responsible and make sure that person is responsible too.

With the suggestion of them combining together, my DNA with Fig's wolven DNA. Also with the coding to create a correct Gestalt form. I do not have any original fur information, thus I would be Fig's color. I do have other information, yet my DNA is different from wolf DNA, whether posible they are alike enough to mutate to each other or become one I can't tell. But it is unlikely that would happen, neither would being a werewolf in the first place. Also to be the posibility that Fig may give me a simple regular constructs of a wolven form, if my original coding effects it or not. Mutating to combine as so would really deform and mess up a person.

So I would imagine that werewolves would be quite very similair even if the coding manages to change. They are passing on the same information every time.
Do they have the same blood type after becoming a werewolf?
Most likely something as this shall be prepared. Posibly that the information passed only gives certain information for the body. Especially when changing stuff such as blood, or even the brain. Having your brain change derasticly and such would kill it. If the coding does not give imformation for the brain then the brain should not change but just the body. Apparently the brain HAS to change, unless it would not be able to control the new forms, there would be no nerve information for say, the tail. That changing is vitaly dangerous. Unless it changes only once, which would cause difficulty and something called Phantom limbs. If the person has the information in there head for a tail, they may beleive they have one. Which is also something that occurs to therians, documented cases are morly on people who have limbs amputated.

Saposibly there is no new information on how the blood should be, then posibly the blood will not change. But the blood vessels will change to give blood to the new forms. The changing of these during shifts could cause internal bleeding or something like that.
Are some werewolves greater than others?
Depends on the individuals health. They, as said, would be similair through genetics. But though lets Say Fig is super buff is works out doesn't mean that when I now change into a wolf means I shall be as fit as him.
Can a bite be more leathal from one werewolf compared to another?
Infact, a werewolf bite is very lethal all in all. Its imposible to say! Yet that one individual may be effected whether it is fought off or through many many things effecting.
Simple? To say the dramtic change that happens it very lethal. Their brain and body is changing and they have some alein substance trying to form withen them. Its very complex and will kill!
I would imagine that can happen if the DNA fails to form or is attacked. It is very unlikely regular wolf DNA placed inside you would effect you anyway. What makes werewolf DNA capable of that, I don't know.
No. It couldn't happen to quickly. Its such a harsh big change that it can not happen very easily, it can happen withen a VERY long time if you really wanted it. Let alone that is will happen in moments. The person would be very deformed and messed up if such a thing happened too quickly.

Becoming a werewolf is not like Dr.Pepper. I Love Dr.Pepper, I'm drinking it ask I type. I've seen that you etheir like Dr.Pepper or you don't like it. Becoming a werewolf is not etheir or, you could be barely effected, become sussesful, die, deform. Yadda yadda.
Now to go toss some duckies!!!
Your stupid 'thinking' gave me a big headache, you deserve a brutal duckie thrashing.
Last edited by outwarddoodles on Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

If some humans have the "therianthropy" gene(s) that react favorably to the virus, others are just as likely to be allergic to it.
Therianthropy would have no effect in this, besides the person's reaction and mind set towards this, their body; no. Unless therianthropy is truly a neurological thing, therianthropy is not a gene and from what we know does not pass on.
If the virus was capable of transforming everyone, we'd have epidemics across the globe, or else the Earth would be the Planet of the Lupins.
Thats when it comes to the individual werewolfs responsibility to keep being a werewolf secret. Biting everyone in sight is stupid.
Meaning that some of us may require glasses in order to see.
Well I do. :) Apparently though with the eyes changing between human and wolven the person would most likely become very blind.

</devils advocate>
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

outwarddoodles wrote: Your stupid 'thinking' gave me a big headache, you deserve a brutal duckie thrashing.

Stupid thinking? Wait till I upload those wolf icons!!! I'm the one who is going to give you a brutal duckie thrashing!!

Muwa ha ha ha :lol:

edit

spelling mistake, doh
Last edited by Figarou on Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.