Freaky Movies

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Templar wrote:Saw Raiders of the Lost Ark when I was seven.....
Boy, when I wanna put the fear of God into my kids, I'll just make 'em watch the Nazis open the Ark and melt. Tell'em "YA know, guys, God does the same things to kids who try to peek at their Christmas presents, and he really gets mad when you won't eat yer veggies..."
That's just plain evil. Did you also buy a stroller for twins and tell him is brother didn't listen to you? :wink:

Of course, you knew I'd post this, right?
http://www.starz.com/features/bunnyclub ... index.html
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Edward Scissorhands- one of best freakin' movies ever! 8)
chubhound
Legendary
Legendary

Post by chubhound »

I just saw a couple of movies that I thought were pretty freaky/creepy. "Unrest" and "Wicked Little Things". "The Gravedancers" started out good as well, but at the end....it just lost me. The first movie I saw that REALLY freaked me out (not counting stuff I saw as a kid that scared me), was "Se7en". I went to see that movie and I remember seeing people leaving the theatre afterwards looking like they were in shock. I had to sit down on a bench & calm down. My boyfriend acutally asked me "Are you gonna be ok?" I don't think any movie's done that since then (but some of the more recent "let's make a movie with lots of violent/gore/torture/deliberate cruelty and call it a 'horror' movie" movies have come awfully close).
Life is too serious to be taken too seriously
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Se7en's bad. I saw it too...I mean, it was GOOD, there's no beating Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman with Rob Bottin makeup effects, but it's haunting. And it's awful. They do some seriously whacked schitte in that movie, mostly with acting and cinematography. I about threw up when Sloth started coughing and they yelled, "This one's alive!"
Kiri-Ryu
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Wereraven in the Sky

Post by Kiri-Ryu »

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned Silent Hill yet. *shudders* Freaked me out the first time I watched it... and the second time I watched it for that matter. The scene where they burn the cop alive..... :shudder:

Also special mention goes to the original japanese Ring. I haven't seen it, but my brother has. Around a year or so ago, he rented it out and watched it. Just as the movie finished and the Ring symbol flashed on the TV, his phone rang....

Turns out it was our friend Justin, asking about a D&D game. My poor brother was understandably freaked out by this. :lol:
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Kiri-Ryu wrote:I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned Silent Hill yet. *shudders* Freaked me out the first time I watched it... and the second time I watched it for that matter. The scene where they burn the cop alive..... :shudder:
Ever played the game? Now that's some scary s***... Actually, the movie was probably the best representation of a video game ever.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Kiri-Ryu
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Wereraven in the Sky

Post by Kiri-Ryu »

ravaged_warrior wrote:
Kiri-Ryu wrote:I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned Silent Hill yet. *shudders* Freaked me out the first time I watched it... and the second time I watched it for that matter. The scene where they burn the cop alive..... :shudder:
Ever played the game? Now that's some scary s***... Actually, the movie was probably the best representation of a video game ever.
I haven't played any of the games, but games freak me out a hell of a lot more than movies. I still get scared when Floormasters drop at me in Occarina of Time. I have watched my brother play Silent hill and SH: the Room, and I don't think I'll be able to play more than the first part without pausing the game and running away to calm myself. :lol:
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Kiri-Ryu wrote:
ravaged_warrior wrote:
I haven't played any of the games, but games freak me out a hell of a lot more than movies. I still get scared when Floormasters drop at me in Occarina of Time. I have watched my brother play Silent hill and SH: the Room, and I don't think I'll be able to play more than the first part without pausing the game and running away to calm myself. :lol:
Heh heh... Most of the Silent Hill games do that to me. I play for about an hour or so and it freaks me out to the point where I just turn it off. Good stuff.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

Never played the games before; but I do love that movie :D One of the very few that really freaks me out.

Just watched Cannibal Holocaust....Disturbing :shudder: What really got me was the actual killing of real animals on camera :sickpup:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Actually, they butchered Silent Hill into movie format about as much as all the other game-to-movies. The two big things for me were that A) They completely erased Harry Mason, and B) They threw in Pyramid Head. The former gets to me because it's like saying men aren't supposed to act like parents, and the latter really gets to me because the symbolism of Pyramid Head is only applicable in the 2nd game.

The movie did have its moments, but not nearly as many as the games did.

BTW, is it just me, or do a lot of the movie scenes people have mentioned take place in elevators?
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Terastas wrote:Actually, they butchered Silent Hill into movie format about as much as all the other game-to-movies. The two big things for me were that A) They completely erased Harry Mason, and B) They threw in Pyramid Head. The former gets to me because it's like saying men aren't supposed to act like parents, and the latter really gets to me because the symbolism of Pyramid Head is only applicable in the 2nd game.

The movie did have its moments, but not nearly as many as the games did.

BTW, is it just me, or do a lot of the movie scenes people have mentioned take place in elevators?
Butchered? Well... I guess. A lot of it did seem to be fan service, as you point out with Pyramid Head. The Harry Mason thing doesn't bother me that much, but I understand what you're trying to say. However, if you look at all of the video game adaptations that have come out, Silent Hill is, without a doubt, the best.
-Jack Handey
chubhound
Legendary
Legendary

Post by chubhound »

I know the movie's not actually out yet, but just from the previews & trailers I've seen, the movie "Bug" is already creeping me out. Now I just gotta wait to see if the movie really IS as disturbing as the critics are saying, or if it's gonna suck and they put all the cool stuff in the trailer to make you THINK it'll scare ya.
Life is too serious to be taken too seriously
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Re: The Baby Elizabeth Awards

Post by Morkulv »

Scott Gardener wrote: The Company of Wolves, "skin-peeling werewolf": When I first saw this back around 1986, it was so unsettling that I had to leave. I tried to come back and see more, but when the other guy with convergent eyebrows met the Devil in the woods and started applying shapeshifting ointment and then started screaming, I fled again. I had no idea that their fates would soon become my lifelong ambition.
Actually, when you pay attention you will notice that those 'skin-ripping' monsters are "wolves in disguise", as mentioned in the film. The real werewolves were the ones that didn't rip through the skin in the tent-scene. Its still a quite disturbing movie though, but I like dark fairytale movies.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I consider The Company of Wolves one of my favorite movies. It's weird, in that a number of my favorites have had those moments: the first two Star Trek movies ("transporter malfunction" in The Motion Picture and "Ceti eels" in The Wrath of Khan), right up to more recent favorites like The Matrix ("unable to speak") and The Brothers Grimm ("horse eats kid", "gingerbread man"). Perhaps the most impactive horror scenes are ones that are well-done and carry strange meanings that match the disturbing visuals. Scenes that should be disturbing but aren't, in which you can sit back and either laugh or complain about the cinematography, (Howling IV's melting shapeshifting scene, for example), miss the mark because they lack not so much just budget but any real point. A good shock can be cheap; it just needs to have feeling to back it.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
AladasianTheMeerkat
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Come As You Are
Additional Details: Just your typical loofah sponge killin' anthro meerkat from the Cape... that's all.

Post by AladasianTheMeerkat »

I haven't seen many horror flick or the sort that freaked me out, but the one that DID was The Blair Witch Project...

I know i'll prolly get flamed since most other people think that movie blows chunks, but turn the critical part of your mind off, shut the lights out and just watch.... Yeek!
Neenur Neenur Neenur!
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

AladasianTheMeerkat wrote:I haven't seen many horror flick or the sort that freaked me out, but the one that DID was The Blair Witch Project...
Actually, TBWP is unique among horror movies in the method.

Something a lot of horror movies do is build up to slowly to the point when the monster jumps out at you. It typically isn't much of a scare factor because it's so damn predictable. What TBWP did was create buildup in some scenes, but never deliver, so instead of a quick scare, you were left with that feeling of grim anticipation. They did that, like, five or six times with no delivery.

Then right at the end, the only indication that anything ever happened is when the camera gets knocked to the ground. The scene at the end where you briefly see the guy standing facing the wall right before the girl gets taken down still sticks with me to this day. It's a scene that leaves it all to the imagination; as I've said in other threads, we scare ourselves better than anyone else can.