Werewolves choosing to Infect others...

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Werewolves choosing to Infect others...

Post by Vuldari »

I did not see another topic that fit this perfectly in my eyes, so I am starting a new one.

Something that has been bothering me is the percieved attitude towards Werewolves and the desire to make more of themselves.

Pesonally, I don't see why most Werewolves would WANT to make other people like them. I mean, sure, misery loves company, but seeking out others to intruduce into the pack? That just doesn't add up for me.
As far as that attitude goes, I think it would be more likely that they would try NOT to infect others, even if they were literally begging to be bitten.

Werewolves longing for companionship and wanting to start a family would be a slighly dirfferent matter I think. I can understand that. But I just cant see a group of werewolves getting together and thinking ,"hey...our pack is too small. We need to initiate more members. Start looking for people who look like they are fond of wolves." :?

I would like to hear other peoples opinions on this.
Lasthowl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lasthowl »

I see a lot of accidents. If the werewolves are in any way organized, infecting others would be discouraged until the rest of the pack could check them out thoroughly, and even then not many requests would be granted.

Accidents would be the responsibility of the werewolf that caused them, enforced with threat of violence from their packmates. It'd be their duty to make sure the victims make it through the change okay and don't endanger the pack.

Or, if that's not possible, it'd be their responsibility to finish the job and kill the victim.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Why have all this biting? Can't one be "born" a werewolf? And I don't mean a its a werewolf at birth. Its a normal cub/human and then later on in life it starts to develop into a werewolf.

Just to use this as an example. White-wolf doesn't have thier werewolves mate with another werewolves. That produces a metis. They mate with a wolf or human not affected with the werewolf gene. It'll be a proper balance of spreading the werewolf gene.

Hope White-Wolf doesn't start sueing if we use that idea. :wink:
Lasthowl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lasthowl »

Well, White Wolf's was a little more complicated than that. They had lycanthropy as a recessive gene, and thus werewolves could only produce little werewolves with people that had the recessive gene, whom they called "kinfolk."

They also had it so that some people were kinfolk and didn't know it, so werewolves could be born to two parents that were seemingly human.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Lasthowl wrote:Well, White Wolf's was a little more complicated than that. They had lycanthropy as a recessive gene, and thus werewolves could only produce little werewolves with people that had the recessive gene, whom they called "kinfolk."

They also had it so that some people were kinfolk and didn't know it, so werewolves could be born to two parents that were seemingly human.
Oh yeah. I forgot about "kinfolk."

I don't role play. I read a few novels they had and didn't know anything about thier tribes, gifts, and what not. read a few source books they had to get myself familiar with the concept.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

In the "Age" thread, it was brought up that lycanthropy could make the lycanthrope's genetic code unstable, possibly to the point of becomming steryle, and that werewolf mothers may suffer frequent miscarriages since their unborn children would be subject to the same full moon-enduced shifts, which even a full-grown man might not survive, so an unborn child's chances would be even slimmer. Therefore, a werewolf's primary method of continuing his/her bloodline would be to pass it on to another.

It seems natural that a werewolf -- especially one in an organized pack -- would be selective of who they infect. They would have to consider the individual's opinions in regards to lycanthropy, their knack for secrecy, how open-minded they are towards the supernatural (reduce the chances of them freaking out and alterting others), and how physically fit they are (to increase their chances of surviving their first change). They would also probably consider how useful an individual would be to the pack. For example, they might recruit a medical student in case one of their pack mates catches a virus lycanthropy doesn't cover, a police officer in case one of them should ever get arrested, or even just somebody with a place that could be used as a safehouse if need be; all that would require is a spare room, a tolerance for wolf breath, and a cat or dog to blame any shedding on. :wink:
Xodiac
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xodiac »

Interesting question.

I think that werewolves as they seem to be taking shape here would be reluctant to make more werewolves, though they wouldn't avoid it like the plague like Vuldari implied. The reason is simple: some people can handle being a werewolf, and some people would let it go to their head. The legends of unstoppable killing beasts probably has some basis in truth (in this setting, anyway), and bad experiences like that would make werewolves want to make sure new members wouldn't go nuts and draw attention to them.

Even if they don't go on a killing spree, there are some people who would be insufferable given the powers of a werewolf. Nobody likes an asshole in the family, and this IS a family you can choose the members of.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

I see alot of thought put into what rules they would follow once the decision has been made to make someone into a werewolf, but so far, I havent heard anyone explain a good reason WHY they woud do so.
terastas wrote:... Therefore, a werewolf's primary method of continuing his/her bloodline would be to pass it on to another.
So a werewolf would consider someone they pass on the lycanthropy to as their children, or adopted silbling? Maybe a Werewolf who was born one and has some ritiuos sense of Werewolf pride would do that, "for the continuation of the werewolf race", but others I think would be far less willing to instill that upon anyone they care about. Even if it has some blessings that go along with it, lycanthropy is still a Curse as well.
terastas wrote: They would also probably consider how useful an individual would be to the pack. For example, they might recruit a medical student in case one of their pack mates catches a virus lycanthropy doesn't cover, a police officer in case one of them should ever get arrested, or even just somebody with a place that could be used as a safehouse if need be; all that would require is a spare room, a tolerance for wolf breath, and a cat or dog to blame any shedding on.
Why would any of those people need to become werewolves themselves to do those favors for their "unfortuane" freinds?

I feel like I'm missing something here. :?
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Actually, werewolves don't necceserilly transform during the full moon, or at least this movies werewolves won't. Thus, you can't really blame the miscarriages on them.

As for, passing on the infection to others. Well, although this may not be the biggest reason why it'd happen. However it's certainly possible that a werewolf falls in love with someone, and gets intimate, relying on condems to prevent the infection from spreading.

Of course, condems don't always work at preventing the spread of disease so.... that's one possible way it'd get passed on.
Xodiac
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xodiac »

So a werewolf would consider someone they pass on the lycanthropy to as their children, or adopted silbling? Maybe a Werewolf who was born one and has some ritiuos sense of Werewolf pride would do that, "for the continuation of the werewolf race", but others I think would be far less willing to instill that upon anyone they care about. Even if it has some blessings that go along with it, lycanthropy is still a Curse as well.
Family is one analogy - one I used myself earlier. But another is of a club or gang. You have this group of people who have things in common. Every now and then they find someone that they think would be a good member of the club, or pack, or whatever. So they induct him in. Maybe the guy even knows what he's getting into.

Unlike families, you can choose who gets into this club.

Reasons to induct new members:

Good:
You're in love and don't want to keep this secret from your human mate.
Ditto for human children.
You're just friends with someone and think he'd make a good member.
The potential member has expressed interest in werewolves, the supernatural, transformation, etc, and you want to give him what he says he wants.

Bad:
This guy was going to expose the pack, but now cannot because he'd put himself at risk as well.
You want to blackmail him into doing something for you, you need access to a restricted area that he has access to, etc.
You want to create an army to take over the world, or at least your apartment complex.
Someone in the pack just died and you need a replacement to keep the numbers up (can be a good reason as well, if done carefully and the bad aspects of lycanthropy are muted).
NightmareHero
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Werewolves choosing to Infect others...

Post by NightmareHero »

Vuldari wrote:I did not see another topic that fit this perfectly in my eyes, so I am starting a new one.

Something that has been bothering me is the percieved attitude towards Werewolves and the desire to make more of themselves.

Pesonally, I don't see why most Werewolves would WANT to make other people like them. I mean, sure, misery loves company, but seeking out others to intruduce into the pack? That just doesn't add up for me.
As far as that attitude goes, I think it would be more likely that they would try NOT to infect others, even if they were literally begging to be bitten.

Werewolves longing for companionship and wanting to start a family would be a slighly dirfferent matter I think. I can understand that. But I just cant see a group of werewolves getting together and thinking ,"hey...our pack is too small. We need to initiate more members. Start looking for people who look like they are fond of wolves." :?

I would like to hear other peoples opinions on this.
Vuldari I think you're right on the mark. The only reason I see that a rational thinking werewolf would turn a human is if it was by accident, or they were trying to kill him/her. This is much more plausible, especially your last paragraph....

Biting the one you love so that they can be like you, and love you as you love them.....
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

There's the accident route, the love route, and of course, the rationalized risk route.

The final option being, convincing oneself that a high risk activity, isn't as high risk as everyone thinks. This is actually something a LOT of people already do, so it's a lot more plausible then one might think.

There's also the, interupted route. This being, that for whatever reason, a werewolf decided to kill somebody, but was stopped before he was able to finish the job. Of course, this is a fairly often used, rather cliche scenerio for infection.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

I would just like to clarify that I am not totally opposed to the idea of,( under very special circumstances), a person making some sort of pact with a Werewolf, or Pack, to become one themself...for a noble cause...for love...or just to be taken in as a member of the pack. I think that would be awsome. I just don't think that they would be very eager to Increase their numbers, unless there was a very very special person or need for it.
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by ShadowFang »

If all werewolves had the mind set that they dont want to reproduce then they would eventually drive themselves into extinction and there would be no werewolves or movie. Though, my thoughts are that a pack (in human form) test another "canidate" with a series of tests and rituals of lycanthrope. Should the individual pass the tests, he is deemed worthy and fit for the "gift" apon which he recieves it.

However, should the guy fail and try to point the werewolves out, he would have no hard evidence as proof since werewolves appeared in their human form the entire time.

See, the thing is that werewolves do want to exist and thrive in this world. However, they do so under humanity's shadow extremely careful about not being caught. There have been some mishaps thoughout history though with sightings and what not. However, humanity has never caught a werewolf to this day. This is how the werewolves want it to remain so they may live their lives with nature and continue their race for as long as they can.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

I strongly agree with ShadowFang's point(s).
If werewolves are infectious, and are concerned about their own safety, I can imagine that they'd be extremely picky about who gets infected, but they take such meticulous care so as to never infect anyone, they'll have gone extinct.
Personally, I like the idea of the guy being infected because a werewolf was sloppy in trying to kill him.
I strongly dislike dismissing things (ideas or otherwise) as being "cliche," otherwise, one risks dismissing everything as being cliche.
I prefer to think of how well the idea is presented.
If it's presented in a poor, or uninspired manner, then it's cliched.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

I think the problem I am running into here is that my perception of werewolf "culture" is that there wouldn't be one. (At least, that is how I've always percieved it before now.) When I think of werewolves, I don't naturally think of them as some underground cult of shapeshifters with organised connections and a set book of rules.
When I think of werewolves, I think of it as an isolated anomoly that usually is passed on from host to host by accident or circumstance.
Every generation, those handfull of werewolves will happen to pass on the Curse to at least one other person before they all die, and that person may pass it on to another years later, and so on...and that is how the "species" has survived over the centuries. Constantly on the brink of extinction.

I don't like to use the word species though, because I don't think of them like that. Werewolves are the host of the Curse, not a new species, and therefore probobly wouldn't care if werewolves DID go extinct.

That is how I see Werewolves, and that is why I find the "we must fortify the Werewolf bloodline" attitude hard to follow.

...of course, this is just my own opinion. If the majority of you disagree with me, I won't cry about it. I will concede and accept that I am a minority in prefering that the werewolves history of existance be more chaotic.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Well, somebody born as a werewolf would probably think as werewolves as a species. So I can see those born with the infection being more willing to infect others.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

I understand the cheesy idea of "needing to fortify the bloodline," but I don't find the other extreme to be very palatable, either.
I mean, if all the werewolves take so much pains to avoid infecting people, where would our movie be if no one gets infected?
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Apokryltaros wrote:I understand the cheesy idea of "needing to fortify the bloodline," but I don't find the other extreme to be very palatable, either.
I mean, if all the werewolves take so much pains to avoid infecting people, where would our movie be if no one gets infected?
I did not mean to suggest that they would go to great extremes to avoid it. Rather, that they would not usually be eager to do so. I can easily see a Werewolf being a bit relaxed, or even careless about who they might pass it on to through the course of normal interaction. (Playing sports, making love, etc.) [Edit: exept with close loved ones, whom they would hate to accidentally instill their curse upon. In which case I think they would take some extra precautions] I just don't imagine there being any instinctive desire to spread the Curse.
...unless that is part of the Curse, I suppose. :idea:

Again, I am only trying to make my opinion heard and understood. I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their own opinion.
Last edited by Vuldari on Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Wow. Lot of material in the short time I took my eyes off of this (*curses his dead wireless card*)

Hmm... Okay, I'm just going to tackle these as they come to mind:

Murder Mishaps:
This is a tricky scenario by far. First and foremost, a werewolf's only priority greater than being unanimous would be to keep lycanthropy from spreading to the wrong people. If someone sees a werewolf, they might perk some media interest or in the worst case scenario, alert a few werewolf trackers (the good and bad variety), but since claims of encounters with the supernatural are commonplace in the media, they would be disregarded within a week or so. In the event that the person becomes infected, however, that could lead to some serious problems. He could turn savage, make public appearances in were form -- he could even theoretically attempt to start his own pack to compete with the original. Therefore, it would be the recommendation of the pack member that, if an event arises where someone does need to die, the werewolf's teeth should only be used after he is dead.

Infected as Sons:
Not officially, but the werewolf and the bitten would certainly have some sort of way to relate with each other. The first relationship would be more of a big brother sort of thing with the werewolf explaining to the bitten what how, as well as what it means, to be a werewolf. Once accustomed to being that way though, their relationship would take a different form based on their own individual personalities. They wouldn't necessarily be thought of as being father and son, but they would consider each other to be family in one way or another.

Why infect them for their support?
Good point. Any one of them could just as well remain a human counterpart, but when you think about it, a human in the company of lycanthropes would feel like they were either lesser than the pack members -- like they were the pack's omega or even their pet human -- or even like they existed outside of the pack even. Remaining human would potentially leave them with the mentality that they are human and the others are lycanthropes. This could make it difficult to remain loyal to the pack; they could be approached by enemies of the pack, but they could feel closer to the enemies because they are both human whereas the pack is made up of werewolves. Being infected, however, would make them a part of the family.
They could leave someone uninfected if they were strong of spirit or if they just didn't mind being thought of that way, but if they ever had any doubts about the person's commitment, they could reinforce it by making him one of the family.

Testing Periods:
Definitely. It's tough to judge a person on first impression, so it wouldn't be that strange if a werewolf introduced a human to the pack over a gradual process. They could keep him around the pack while most of their members were in were form (to keep him from being able to identify them at their day-jobs) minus one pack member to explain to him what the hell is going on, during which the pack members could determine the human's intentions based on his choice of words, mannerisms, maybe even his scent, and depending what they discovered about him, decide wether to welcome him or not. Theoretically, it wouldn't even matter how many he had seen in werewolf form because, as stated in the first response, werewolf etc. sightings are so common nowadays that only a starving tabloid magazine would pay close attention to him. The worst thing that could happen would be if they ended up rejecting too many people, in which case there's a chance they could meet and form some sort of support group where they'd share their stories and comment on how similar they are. The most that could warrant would be a an episode of Proof Positive on the Sci-Fi channel.
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by ShadowFang »

Good points, everyone.

The way I see is small groups of werewolves exist throughout human society be them in packs, tribes, clans...etc. However, there is a alpha male werewolf for each group that makes the decision on who to recruit into the pack. One thing that is rule #1 in the pack is never show your were-side until the new pack member is fully initiated and bitten (or however means infected). None of the pack members want to take the chance of some guy putting on a front with a digital camera in his pocket.

The werewolf pack would present themselves as a group of people who have a spiritial connection with nature or a specific animal. In this case, it would obviously be a wolf. (Therianthropy) When the canidate deems himself worth, he is given the "gift of the wolf" and then presented to the pack in their were form and is guided along through his first change.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

That almost seems a bit too well organized if you ask me.

Something that should be kept in mind, is that even though werewolves in this setting do keep thier conscious minds more or less, they're still subject to wolf instincts and in many cases are living in close proximity with humans.

Considering that wolves, or predators in general, tend to have troubles while in close proximity to people, I would think Werewolves would have trouble as well. With this in mind, mishapes seem inevitable.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

WolvenOne wrote:That almost seems a bit too well organized if you ask me.

Something that should be kept in mind, is that even though werewolves in this setting do keep thier conscious minds more or less, they're still subject to wolf instincts and in many cases are living in close proximity with humans.

Considering that wolves, or predators in general, tend to have troubles while in close proximity to people, I would think Werewolves would have trouble as well. With this in mind, mishapes seem inevitable.
"For the last time... STOP BITING THE PIZZA DELIVERY GUY!!!"
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

ShadowFang wrote:Good points, everyone.

The way I see is small groups of werewolves exist throughout human society be them in packs, tribes, clans...etc. However, there is a alpha male werewolf for each group that makes the decision on who to recruit into the pack. One thing that is rule #1 in the pack is never show your were-side until the new pack member is fully initiated and bitten (or however means infected). None of the pack members want to take the chance of some guy putting on a front with a digital camera in his pocket.

The werewolf pack would present themselves as a group of people who have a spiritial connection with nature or a specific animal. In this case, it would obviously be a wolf. (Therianthropy) When the canidate deems himself worth, he is given the "gift of the wolf" and then presented to the pack in their were form and is guided along through his first change.
Here is another point that I seem to be in a minority in disagreeing with.

I know that we are going for a different point of view on werewolves, and I'm all for that but, "gift of the wolf"??...
Are we throwing out the concept of Lycanthropy being a "Curse" completely?
It seems that instead of a curse, it is now some sort of coveted superpower that is passed on by the wise elder wolves, or something like that.
I'm sorry, but this sounds a bit too fantasyish for my taste. :?

As I understand it, the plot behind this movie is going to be based,( to some extent), off of the original concept story, which was going to be a Horror film about man eating werewolves. (Thus the working title "Devoured")
If we stray too far from the old cliches (despite how much we may want to) then none of our ideas will be aplicable to the new, modified script.
...by all means, continue to provide your own personal preferences and ideas, whatever they may be. I just ask that you also keep in mind what the Writer and Director are going for. You don't really want to make them start from scratch all over again, do you?
...okay...i've got that off my chest. Great ideas everyone. Carry on... 8)
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

No, by no means are we throwing out the lycanthropy curse....

Lycanthropy IS a curse to many that are young, and many who get killed, or dont survive long enought to learn control.

To those that have lived long enough.. and have learned to control their changes, then in many ways they have learned to see "the brighter side' as it were.. with all good, there is bad.. ying yang, that kinna thing. But the lycanthropy 'bite' is definitly not a family heirloom kind of thing.

At least thats how I see it at the moment.

Anthony Brownrigg