Werewolf cliches?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
shey
Legendary
Legendary

Post by shey »

no i got one the person by the window geting riped out of the window and

it taking forever and no one helps him and the werewolf throwing random

body parts of one of the people and they cant tell what it is.

I could tell if a arm hit me in the face.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Then there are the Villagers (not the "Village People") who are out scouring the countryside while the Werewolf is in town washing down 'brot's with suds. :drunx:

AHH...yes: Where the Werewolves DO talk, they keep saying they should "rule the world". First, learn to tie your shoes and zip your fly. :napoleon:

One of the re-e-eal old cliche's is where the Pentagram appears on the palm of the infected Werewolf-to-be...and nobody notices it-even though he/she is holding their hand up and staring at it. :blink:

>>Joke: Why are Werwolves so intensely violent, and howl as they Cross? Sheath-caught-in-zipper, that's why. :wink:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Another thing about the villagers. . . How come they only get their torches and pitchforks after they've incorrectly accused the protagonist?
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Terastas wrote:Another thing about the villagers. . . How come they only get their torches and pitchforks after they've incorrectly accused the protagonist?
That's because the Werewolf has them and won't let the villagers do their thing until they've accused someone innocent. The Werewolf also gives them the maps that have them running in circles, while said WW is chuggin' suds and sausage. :P

He may be a "monster", but business is business. :lol:
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

Someone already mentioned the deflating back to human thing, But I want to say it my way.
It always struck me as a dumb cliche, if its dead then why does it have the energy to shift back, is it like a death spasm in the body or something?
Its alot of effort to go back and forth for the body, but I guess if you can crap yourself at death then a werewolf can shift back (and both probably) not there is a real mess to clean up.

Speaking of dead people and the heroes getting away, its one of the few things I liked about Dracula's Daughter, Van Helsing was arrested for the murder of Count Dracula as in this instance the body didn't dust when Dracula was destroyed.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Templar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: No Title

Post by Templar »

Cliches that need ta die (some already posted):
1. "What's happening to me?"
2. "Oh, I've finally hit puberty."
3. "Wait, I forgot! What time of the month is it?"
4. "You turn into a monster? You poor soul.......take me!" (fast forward to end of movie...)"Hm, why are my eyes turning yellow....oops..."
5. "Oh no! the werewolf ate the black guy!" or "Oh, no! The black guy got bit by the werewolf.....Kill 'em!"
Sure, I could have stayed, could have even been king. But in my own way...I am King. (grabs girl) Hail to the king, baby!
-Ash
www.knight-templar.deviantart.com
KittyRose
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Spotted Feline Writer

Post by KittyRose »

Templar wrote: 2. "Oh, I've finally hit puberty."
I knew I forgot one :D
DeviantART
Meez

:wolfpaint: Avatar created by Z
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

OH OH OH

I GOT ONE.

The part where after someone becomes a werewolf, they go into an instant mental transition from being generally good and defiant to calling the infector "brother" and becomes evil in the blink of an eye.

God, i f*** hate that s***.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Templar wrote:2. "Oh, I've finally hit puberty."
For that matter, why is it that werewolves nowadays seem to prefer to exclusively hunt rich suburban white kids aged 16 to 17 1/2?
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

I know some has already posted, the old shifting back tohuman form thing, (and someone else posted something his way)
But this is just a thought: if they did shift back wouldn't that (insert swear word of choice) the family of the person killed. Next thing you know, there's an angry mob at their front door.
(Puberty? Oh, that explains some things. (glances at human self anf grins sheepishly) just kidding. kinda)
And haven't we all had to deal with the whole (apologizes if its off tpoic) "i can't control it. Run!" Crap?
Oh, and i think the reason werewolves hunt rich kids is becuase thier tastes have improved. :D
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
avogadro522
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Kuma-san

Post by avogadro522 »

Related to the puberty bit, I'm tired of lycanthropy being the magic answer to any percieved male deficiencies.
"Oh man, before that viscious attack I was a picked on loser, now I'm stronger than the jocks and can get any woman I want. And I'm hairy. How bizarre..."
I suppose the whole deal it tied also to the fact that werewolves seem to always be men, and werewolfism is treated as an extention of masculine characteristics.
But don't mind me and my application of gender theory to werewolfism...
"And all being is flaming suffering" -Franz Marc
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Well, there are some female weres in internet comics at least.
XIV
Templar
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Templar »

Yep. La Guitarrista, Luna, all of what's-there-names, an' those in Peter Is The Wolf.

More stuff seems ta have female werewolves in it. Ginger Snaps, anyone??
Sure, I could have stayed, could have even been king. But in my own way...I am King. (grabs girl) Hail to the king, baby!
-Ash
chubhound
Legendary
Legendary

Post by chubhound »

Would the "trip to the occult book store scene" count as a cliche? You know....the scene where the heroes wander into some "Black Magic" store and just happen to find the ONE book that tells them everything they would ever need to know about werewolves, what's real and what's all Hollywood B.S, and what's the perfect way to kill one. Plus they always seem to open the book to exactly the right chapter with all that information.
Life is too serious to be taken too seriously
Ookami-kun
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Luffs Buff Wuffs!

Post by Ookami-kun »

And how come hair = fur? FUR =/= HAIR!!!
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Ookami-kun wrote:And how come hair = fur? FUR =/= HAIR!!!
Lots of hair = fur. Especially if it covers the entire body.

oh...do you know which side of a werewolf has the most fur? The outside.

:jester:
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Templar wrote:Yep. La Guitarrista, Luna, all of what's-there-names, an' those in Peter Is The Wolf.

What webcomic is La Guitarrista from?
XIV
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Ookami-kun wrote:And how come hair = fur? FUR =/= HAIR!!!
How about the fact that whenever a werewolf has long hair, it either shrinks or disappears? I know a werewolf with a ponytail, dreadlocks and/or an afro would look ridiculous, but so does a big load of hair shrinking down into standard headfur.

And yeah, the fact that there's always a book on werewolves somewhere gets to me. If they don't find it, some gypsy lady or strange homeless woman will give it to them (it's never a guy, I've noticed).

Oh, and when the werewolf punches his hand through a window, don't grab an ax or a machete and cut it right off. That happens to werewolves in movies so much that by now they must be completely numb below the elbow. "Oh no, not again."

Which brings me to regenerating. . . Well. . . When you consider what lycanthropy does to the entire body, a regrowing limb isn't that hard to believe. . . Within reason. I expect that werewolf to have to nurse a stump for at least a week before he can type 165 WPM again.
Ookami-kun
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Luffs Buff Wuffs!

Post by Ookami-kun »

I dunno. But I think fur-style hair is a lot different that human-style hair. Wolf fur is soft and not oily like humans. XD
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Dreamer wrote:
Templar wrote:Yep. La Guitarrista, Luna, all of what's-there-names, an' those in Peter Is The Wolf.

Serriously, will someone answer my question? I looked on Google, but I douldn't find any webcomics. Just these spanish websites.
XIV
Templar
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Templar »

Dreamer wrote:
Dreamer wrote:

Serriously, will someone answer my question? I looked on Google, but I douldn't find any webcomics. Just these spanish websites.
Current main character from Pack Fiction. Yeah, that's some pretty shameless self-promotion right there. Heheheh....
-Ash
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

You might try "Paradigm Shift" by Dirk Tiede...it's a Werewolf story but it takes forever to develop. There are hints a-plenty, though.

Also: "Lunar Diaries" and "Dreadnight" on SmackJeeves server.

I watched the fabled "Ginger Snaps" and really, it was something of a disappointment. The Werewolf was more believable than the girls were.
Still, it IS a Werewolf flick...
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by ShadowFang »

Werewolves acting like spiders/insects who can easily defy gravity and walk/run up walls and on ceilings. There's one for you.

Why did they come up with this concept? Wolves can't climb walls and run on ceilings and neither can humans. What makes Hollywood think a hybrid can? Oh well, I guess thats what makes Hollywood, Hollywood.
Guy!
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

ShadowFang wrote:Werewolves acting like spiders/insects who can easily defy gravity and walk/run up walls and on ceilings. There's one for you.

Why did they come up with this concept? Wolves can't climb walls and run on ceilings and neither can humans. What makes Hollywood think a hybrid can? Oh well, I guess thats what makes Hollywood, Hollywood.
because just about every supernatural creature can so they figured what the hell.

After all why can a corpse climb up walls defying gravity?
Or someone with an alien bug inside them.
and having tiny hairs on your fingers and limbs acting as hooks shouldn't have let the fly or Spider-man climb walls with out the weight load problem (as in dry wall can't support your weight holding onto it and most glass windows in sky scrappers would have a simular problem even if they could last a little longer)

a cliche for werewolves.
Being able to run down any body on foot easily except the main character.

(all monster movies have the old gypsy, scientist, fortune teller, ect...Its called a writer's convinience"sp") something to explaine the plot and back story in a short time)
At least werewolf movies don't have the psychic as often as other monster movies do.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

LOL
:lol:
I love this thread! :lol: :D

Hmmm.....I think all of them have already been listed...these have probably all been said:
-When a werewolf bites a human, said human suddenly becomes evvviiillllll.
-A WW in human form has to look up at the full moon before they can start shifting
-Like what Scott said earlier; Werewolves have some pretty piss-poor eye sight. Everything is all red tinted and blurry around the edges, if their lucky :wink:
-Those stupid sound bits are really annoying; you hear the same, not very convincing, 'wolf' howl in just about all of em. :P And they make very non-wolf sounds, like stuff from big cats, gators, T-Rex's( :wink: ), gorillas, hogs, anything but wolf
sounds :P
-Werewolves that look nothing like wolves! More like demon man-rat/boar/bear things...

Underworld people: We need to be hip, edgy...how about we make the Lycans furless panthers instead? Brilliant!