There are too many topics on this board..

The place for anything at all...
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

There are too many topics on this board..

Post by MattSullivan »

And that''s why i seldom post. I hate searching through row after row of crap. It's easier to just condense things. Like, "responses from the director" and "makeup tests" into the general FREEBORN topic.

Several other, like site news and all that can go back into GENERAL stuff. This ...is ewhy people leave boards. tehy get too big and bloated. And it's happening here too.

So moderators, fig, what do you say?
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

I agree that we do have cluttering on the forum. For instance, we don't need so many art forums. Maybe just four.

-Werewolf Art
-Werewolf Creative Writing
-Art (other)
-Creative Writing (other)

As for the other needless forums, I'd say we should judge that by how much they have been posted in. The "Feed the Beast" section is highly underused, and thus can be dropped. A few others follow that example.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Meh. I'm fine with everything as it is personaly.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

How about just "art"
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

MattSullivan wrote:How about just "art"
or just two sections.

Art
Creative writing
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

Why not set up a dummy forum, then try navigating it. IF it works--okay. IF it don't, widen until it does.

AND! Whatever you do POST IT before you do it, or you'll be deluged by complaining people who can't find anything anymore (they say).

But, yeah; the boards could use a bit of a diet...
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

MattSullivan wrote:How about just "art"
We had one section called..."Creative den" for just about everything. Then ABrownrigg created more sections to divide the different types of art.

So...what would you rather have? One section with many many pages. Or catagorized sections with few pages?

Silverclaw wrote:Meh. I'm fine with everything as it is personaly.
Same here. :D
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

There are some that I can see that we dont need and can just merge it with other topics. Film Title change is one.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

yea... really, i dont think condensing things will help much. as fig said, reducing the number of topics will only result in a handfull of bloated topics. then it might be like searching through email spam. However, certain topics, such as "feed the beast" (which still makes me wonder wtf) i could care less about. of course, if it stayed, i could care less too. i just dont click it.
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Draca
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Draca »

I'm gonna have to agree with Matt on this one. Sure, things are organized, but you can organize them to the point of stymieing things. For example, I used to have a folder called Pictures in My Documents. In that folder, there was a folder called Avatars. In that folder there was a folder called Art. In that folder there were two folders, My Art and Other People's Art. In the Other People's Art folder, there were folders called Animated and Still. In those folders were the appropriate avatars further divided into folders by size and subject. It didn't take long before I got tired of navigating through ten folders every time I wanted to save an avatar.

And there's nothing wrong with having a lot of posts in a single topic. On another forum I post on, they're called "megathreads," which are allowed to reach up to 1,000 posts before a new thread can be started. Having many threads with the same content in the same forum or many threads with the same content separated by different forums gets confusing and turns people off to posting. The latest version of PHP has a feature that allows you to press a button next to the thread title which jumps you to the last post you read in that topic. There's also a feature that allows you to bookmark your favorite threads. The board would still be organized without being over organized.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

There is always the risk of too little organisation as well as too much organisation.
Perhaps, if this version of php will do it, take an inventory of which sections get the most traffic, and which get the least. Let the high traffic sections stay as-is, and condense the others.
While I don't have any particular difficulty navigating this board, there are some pretty obvious areas that could be simplified to make things easier for others.
Look at the Segment heads (like the one that has all the art stuff in it. Make that a segment, and make written stories a separate segment.
That way, you navigate to the Segment you want easily, and then find the section in it without having to go through all the extra stuff in the way.
It'd be like: CREATIVE DEN: Art- as one segment, then CREATIVE DEN: Writing- as another. Last would be CREATIVE DEN: Other- as a final for things that aren't either art or writing.
Yeah, there would be more headings, but their content would be easier to find.
Face it: this board is growing and evolving, and that's a good thing!
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

I dont have a problem with it. 8)
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Bleh it doesnt really matter to me anymore. If some dont want it changed then dont have it changed. simple as that.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv

Post by Morkulv »

You can get overexaggerating with complaining Matt. Besides, if you want to see who replied to your post just search all of your posts in your profile.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

I like separating the important news from the day to day stuff. So I can always just check the news forum and quickly see if anything is updated. The news could easily get buried if put in the General section. I mean there are stickies but we have quite enough of them if you ask me.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

I just think the board would benefit from a little tidying up. That's my opinion, not a rule.
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: TV!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by *nagowteena* »

I think it's pretty much fine, maybe a few things could be done, but I don't think as much as Matt said. :)
Image Image
Yeah, that hits the spot..DeviantArt ~ Youtube Avatar by Z
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv

Post by Morkulv »

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

Is not the General Stuff and the Non-Were Related forums for the same purpose?

Unless I missed something.

It may be a little large, I always click "view topics since last visit" so I bypass having to click on each forum.