I return

The place for anything at all...
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

I return

Post by PariahPoet »

It is with a heavy heart I return to Texas after a month in a tent at Mission:Wolf. It has been about the most rewarding experience of my life. I would highly recommend anyone interested to visit or volunteer. The place doesn't look like a sleek tourist stop because it isn't. But it is the absolute best wolf sanctuary I have ever encountered. The place is for the wolves, not for the visitors. I have never seen such well-adjusted and content rescued wolves. I just really can't say enough about the place, it's amazing. I have one more day of driving before I get home, so I should have pictures soon, but until then, here is the DA page of a friend there with tons of pictures of the residents. I cried for about 300 miles straight over leaving that place and my wonderful lupine friends.

http://wolf-of-samhain.deviantart.com/
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Aww, I saw the pictures and they are just adorable!! :puppyeyes:

and welcome back pariah. indeed that must have been a very rewarding trip.
God I wish I was you. :D
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

It really was awesome, wish I could have stayed all summer or longer. Miss those guys already. Isn't the new pup Abe adorable!? He was so friendly that any of us staff could go in to play with him when we wanted! :D
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Having worked with Wolves in the seventies, I still say they are better People than we are.

Did they teach you any of their posture-language?
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

I'll have to get in touch with you Pariah when we get the casting done. I'm considering mission wolf as a place to send the cast for a week or so, and actually do some rehearsals there.

AB
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

Sweet 8)

Glad you had a good time :D Wish I could go to; one day maybe :) Sounds like a cool place.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Re: I return

Post by Figarou »

PariahPoet wrote:It is with a heavy heart I return to Texas after a month in a tent at Mission:Wolf. It has been about the most rewarding experience of my life. I would highly recommend anyone interested to visit or volunteer. The place doesn't look like a sleek tourist stop because it isn't. But it is the absolute best wolf sanctuary I have ever encountered. The place is for the wolves, not for the visitors. I have never seen such well-adjusted and content rescued wolves. I just really can't say enough about the place, it's amazing. I have one more day of driving before I get home, so I should have pictures soon, but until then, here is the DA page of a friend there with tons of pictures of the residents. I cried for about 300 miles straight over leaving that place and my wonderful lupine friends.

1st of all.... :welcomeback:

2nd....I'd love to go to that, or any wolf sanctuary. Problem is....one week off is not enough time for me to drive there. Once I get seniority....I can have up to 5 weeks off. I think I need 10 years at Exxon in order to get 5 weeks. I can take 2 weeks off in a row. But getting that is very difficult since the senior drivers can pick 2 weeks while everyone else under them picks one week at a time.

Sure wish there was a place in Texas to meet real wolves. :D
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Heh... Cool, welcome back.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

AB- M:W would be a wonderful place to send the cast! They have a bunch of rejected movie wolves, it makes you start to lose hope in Hollywood, but I know at least you will see to it that your animal actors are well taken care of.

Unfortunately, my second day on the road is no easier than the first. I've realized I really don't belong here. Not in Texas, and not with humans. This is my first day in a month not to wake up to the wolves howling and first thing on tv was some football moron who had a dogfighting ring. All I could think about was our little girl Soliel and how as a baby she was beaten and tortured by creeps like that and forced to fight. Those people need to die.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Re: I return

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

PariahPoet wrote:It is with a heavy heart I return to Texas after a month in a tent at Mission:Wolf. It has been about the most rewarding experience of my life. I would highly recommend anyone interested to visit or volunteer. The place doesn't look like a sleek tourist stop because it isn't. But it is the absolute best wolf sanctuary I have ever encountered. The place is for the wolves, not for the visitors. I have never seen such well-adjusted and content rescued wolves. I just really can't say enough about the place, it's amazing. I have one more day of driving before I get home, so I should have pictures soon, but until then, here is the DA page of a friend there with tons of pictures of the residents. I cried for about 300 miles straight over leaving that place and my wonderful lupine friends.

Well I'm glad your coming back, but then I guess at the same time I wish you could have stayed longer..I can only imagine how awesome that trip was. The way you explain it..The wolf center here is nothing like this. To be able to be with wolves an well basically live with them must have been heaven. I pray to one day have that chance. Wow the wolf photos are awesome!! He took so may of them :o Who knows maybe you can get back up there again for the year is done :jester: That'd be sweet if you did that AB, I agree that'd be an awesome idea!!

Again Pariah I agree with you..Though I haven't had the chance to go visit wolves an be awesome from this city an all these crazy humans..You really have to respect the idea..Well if this goes down I wanna be there!! :howl:  :oo
KittyRose
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Spotted Feline Writer

Post by KittyRose »

It must have been a great experience for you. Good to see you back :)
DeviantART
Meez

:wolfpaint: Avatar created by Z
Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ...for science

Post by Fullmoonstar »

never stop dreaming. Otherwise your dreams will never come true.
DarkShadow
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The coffee addicted were

Post by DarkShadow »

Welcome back! That sounds like an amazing expreience.
I can proudly say that I am not a stamp of the person beside me

Icon made by Z :D
tyger
Legendary
Legendary

Post by tyger »

I had another therian friend of mine volunteer at one too. somewhere near Baltymore I think.. ^-^; aanyway he much enjoyed it as well. so congrats and welcome back
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

After I think about it, I should have asked if I could've followed you back to the santuary from Matt's house. I've never been up close to a wolf before, and I guess I missed my chance that time around.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Well, I have every intention of moving to the area as soon as humanly possible. While I was there I came to the realization that I don't belong here. I just have to bide my time until Daniel can leave the area with me, which will probably be about two years. But I'm going back for a visit at Christmas. To be honest, the best time to visit is in the fall. You may get lucky like I did my first time and get a personal tour from Kent. You're much more likely to get wolf licked if you're not in a big group. (which is about all there is in the summer)

But yeah, you can get directions from their site mission-wolf.com
The road is pretty hairy in some spots, but not 4wd unless it's snowing.
If anybody goes for a visit, hug Sabertooth and Raven for me! :D
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

PariahPoet wrote:Well, I have every intention of moving to the area as soon as humanly possible. While I was there I came to the realization that I don't belong here. I just have to bide my time until Daniel can leave the area with me, which will probably be about two years. But I'm going back for a visit at Christmas. To be honest, the best time to visit is in the fall. You may get lucky like I did my first time and get a personal tour from Kent. You're much more likely to get wolf licked if you're not in a big group. (which is about all there is in the summer)

But yeah, you can get directions from their site mission-wolf.com
The road is pretty hairy in some spots, but not 4wd unless it's snowing.
If anybody goes for a visit, hug Sabertooth and Raven for me! :D
Looks like you've found your People. Don't grieve the departure, anticipate the reunion.
Clean scent and Clear trail, Pariah... :wink:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Texas is pretty sizable, and not all of it is anywhere near as backwards or polluted as the Beaumont/Port Arthur area. I know the place, Pariah, as Cathey and I lived there, too, from 1999 (me) and 2000 (Cathey) to 2003. The Dallas/Fort Worth area is a lot cleaner and a lot friendlier to forward-thinking. Recycling isn't treated like a conspiracy against the working man, and at night you can see stars instead of the reddish gunk that bears a disturbing resemblance to the dreaded Highlander II.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Kalira
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kalira »

WB Pariah, what an amazing and wonderful experience for you! You are so lucky :) I'm glad you had a great time :)
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

How is that for awesome!?
I loved all of them, but I really bonded with a few of them like Maggie there and The new girl puppy Ammy, and Rasta.

Here's the whole gallery for anyone who's interested-
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/h ... ?start=all
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

PariahPoet wrote:Image

How is that for awesome!?
I loved all of them, but I really bonded with a few of them like Maggie there and The new girl puppy Ammy, and Rasta.

Here's the whole gallery for anyone who's interested-
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/h ... ?start=all
OMG!! Your like the luckiest person I know!! How I wish I could have been there to see it all :(
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Ha!! you gots a wolf kiss! :wolfkiss: *SLURP*

You lucky dog....er..um...I mean kitty kat...you!!!

Those are some cool looking wolves in your photo gallery. :D
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Thanks guys! :D
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

They're some awesome photos... I really like the one of Maggie howling.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

I hate you!
You got to see real wolves and more.
And of course the wolves are cute.
{Pouts in corner}
(...
uh...
He'll get over it...
I think. Anyway, i really like the idea that others like wolves too.
His mother read something about a colorado senator, or something like that, waiting till they took wolves off the endagered species list... and then go hunt them. I really wish i could go with him.
I always wanted a human pelt...
Seriously, that ticks me off.)
Sorry about that. Glad your back, but something tells me your not all that happy.
Anyway, i'm really glad there are people not like the colorado man, who want to protect wolves, instead of destroying them.
Kinda makes me more jealous you got to meet real ones, before human stupidity takes them all away. :(

I just depressed everyone.
Sorry.
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)