What power should a werewolf have in its possession?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

What power should a werewolf have in its possession?

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

As far as healing, spell casting, medicine, spirit awakenings or summining,weather control, mind control? I saw in this book: WereWolves the Apocalyples that some of the Were's could control weather and cast spells of some sort?? What do you all think??
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

The power to change into a wolf, thats it.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Wynd
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wynd »

Werewolf the Apocollypse is a White Wolf gaming book. I've been playing for a number of years and yes, it's fun, but I don't think it'd be a great idea to incorporate it into the movie for a munber of reasons, the 1st being copyright. White wolf is already pissed @ Underworld and last I heard there was a lawsuit going. ( and underwolrd didn't even mention the powers thing...!)

Plus, I think most people would be lost in regards to the introduction of new information this vast. The idea that werewolves are divided into tribes, have different powers, can summon spirits, etc. may be trying to cram too much new information / ideas into a movie that I would asume Anthony wants to be able to sell, and therefore studios want to appeal to mainstream audiences as well as us "Pack-wolves"

While the art in some of the White Wolf books is good / great ( Heya Ron Spencer! hwlwnk ) and might be good for references, the other info would probably be overkill. ( in addition to getting the Freeborn people sued by an already touchy gaming company. )
"Sometimes I think I've been bad an' God sent me to Hell."

"This isn't Hell but you can see it from here..."
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

For the most part, I think it's near unanimous that lycanthropy is not going to be magical: they are going to be able to shapeshift, and a side effect of shapeshifting will be enhanced regeneration to a point (most of the debate was around severed limbs if I recall).

The only other ability from that list I could picture a werewolf having would be medicine, but that's only if they go to medical school or pick up one of those goofy home remedy books.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

I don't want to see anything related to White wolf. The stuff they have is extremely corny.

Lambent flame-glowing werewolves? Corny!!!
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Yeah, just shapeshifting to wolves and a little bit faster healing.
Wynd
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wynd »

:lol: Figarou, don't forget the ultra cool, totally realistic ability to shoot all of your claws at someone like shotgun scatter! * Wasp Talons*
Cause that's just sooooo neat a gift! ( All said in ultra sarcastic, gamer addicted voice )

And don't EVEn get me started on the 'evil werewolf' ability to projectile vomit acidic puke at people. Yeesh. :sickpup:

( Yes, I am a gamer, but some of this stuff makes even MY head hurt! )

Koshaw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Duckinator

Post by Koshaw »

How about wolf speech, the animal sixth sense, strength, limited regeneration and the regular increased wolf senses? ?? :? ??
Wynd
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wynd »

ok, that kind of makes sense,but I think that's something most agreed on. 6th sense I don't know about, but at least animal senses...even when in human form. Better sense of smell, for example, would be a given. Hearing, too. It'd be interesting to see how that's handled, I tend to think of Jack N's part in Wolf. Not a spectacular movie, but the idea of a person getting uded to hightened senses was interesting.

Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Wynd wrote::lol: Figarou, don't forget the ultra cool, totally realistic ability to shoot all of your claws at someone like shotgun scatter! * Wasp Talons*
I can see it now.

*A werewolf defending herself using "Wasp Talons."*

Rat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat- click

*looks at paws*

"Oops...time to reload"

*grabs can of werewolf claw shells* *opens can and...gulp*

"Mmmmm...peppermint!!!" lck

Rat-tat-tat-tat-tat......

:jester2:
Wynd
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wynd »

:roflmao: Oh my gosh, I nearly peed myself!

*snarf* So does that mean that werewolf claws wouldn't be "Hollywood Rounds" Rules?

And if that's so, then we bring up the question of different types of 'guns' paws....could there be semi-automatic claws? And would a really big were have huge, military like claws that required someone else to help them re-load?

:cyborg3:

Werwolf 1: C'mon man, the hunters are coming!

Werewolf 2: Gimme a sec, these things are heavy!!!

Or what would happen if the paw jammed??? :wink:

:splodey:

Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Wynd wrote::roflmao: Oh my gosh, I nearly peed myself!

*snarf* So does that mean that werewolf claws wouldn't be "Hollywood Rounds" Rules?

And if that's so, then we bring up the question of different types of 'guns' paws....could there be semi-automatic claws? And would a really big were have huge, military like claws that required someone else to help them re-load?

:cyborg3:

Werwolf 1: C'mon man, the hunters are coming!

Werewolf 2: Gimme a sec, these things are heavy!!!

Or what would happen if the paw jammed??? :wink:

:splodey:
There is always this option.

Wynd
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wynd »

:lol:
Love it!

Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Werewolves by definition have shape-shifting powers of some sort, and/or a wolf-like form. That and the permutations of such, such as enhanced smell and hearing, are the official limit.

But, werewolves have been depicted having all kinds of kooky special powers. Here's some examples:

1. Walking on walls or ceilings (Underworld, Cursed, and Van Helsing--all the new movies put out by major studios)

2. Firing deadly bursts of evil energy, like a Sith Lord (Howling II)

3. Teleportation, through a spirit realm (the role-playing game Werewolf: the Apocalypse.)

4. Eyes that actively glow red (DarkWolf, Teen Wolf)

5. The ability to command people to do their bidding (Teen Wolf, with the line "give me a keg of beer")

6. Improved skills at basketball (Teen Wolf again)

And, I'm just as guilty:

7. Astral projection, clairvoyance, and telepathy, plus a weretiger with telekinesis (unpublished novel Lycanthrope II: Revelations)
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:

And, I'm just as guilty:

7. Astral projection, clairvoyance, and telepathy, plus a weretiger with telekinesis (unpublished novel Lycanthrope II: Revelations)

For shame!!

just kidding!!! :missed:
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Scott Gardener wrote: 5. The ability to command people to do their bidding (Teen Wolf, with the line "give me a keg of beer")
One could write that off as the human being intimidated. :D
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

outwarddoodles wrote:The power to change into a wolf, thats it.
amen
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

I'm pretty sure I saw a gift in the Werewolf: Apocalypse books called "Power of the Skunk" or something like that. The werewolf had enlarged anal glands and could shoot the contents at someone. It was all I could do not to just burst out laughing.

In my view of werewolves, I feel that except in the cases where werewolves are clearly and unquestionably magical, powers that do not relate directly to changing into a wolf should be absent.

I would argue that the "strange physics bordering on the supernatural" kind of werewolves should also be classified with the magical werewolves, since it is easier to fit things like telepathy into such a scenario.

Since the werewolves in Freeborn are depicted as realistic and biological (even though we are never told exactly how their biology works), then I would say that their powers should be limited to:

(1) Turning into a wolf, or turning partway into a wolf. In extreme cases, a VERY EXPERIENCED werewolf might be able to manipulate the change in ways that would emulate another skill, such as making the body flatter to squeeze between the bars of a jail cell, or changing the shape of the nose and jaw just slightly so as to not get recognized, but I do not want to see much of that stuff, and I don't want anything extreme, such as being able to turn into exact copies of other people.

(2) Agility, strength, and senses in human form that are beyond the norm, but not excessively so (for example, I don't want werewolves who can run 100 miles an hour in human form, or who can bench press a truck).

(3) Regeneration powers that are a side effect of the transformation ability. Once again, I do not want these to be too extreme. A big wound would take longer to heal than a small wound, and a lost arm would be gone for good.

(4) Anything else that is closely related to powers 1, 2 or 3 or otherwise could logically follow from them.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

a lost arm should take a few days or a week tops to heal, bullet wounds shouldnt take that long, a whole day mabey or almost 2 days.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Something wicked
Mood: Meh...

Post by Akugarou »

outwarddoodles wrote:The power to change into a wolf, thats it.
What about, the power to scare the s--- out of non-werewolves?

What's the use of having all of this primal fury, when all you do is inspire people to play fetch with you?
:lol:
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

fullmoonfury wrote:What about, the power to scare the s--- out of non-werewolves?
Well, pretty much comes with being aany large predator.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Re: What power should a werewolf have in its possession?

Post by Anubis »

SabreWereWolfQueen_84 wrote:As far as healing, spell casting, medicine, spirit awakenings or summining,weather control, mind control? I saw in this book: WereWolves the Apocalyples that some of the Were's could control weather and cast spells of some sort?? What do you all think??
for me super speed, sterength, endurance, sence of smell, hearing. but if we have to go fantasy about it some spell casting
THE GAME

My Armory
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!
Mood: Excited

Post by Trinity »

Jamie wrote:I'm pretty sure I saw a gift in the Werewolf: Apocalypse books called "Power of the Skunk" or something like that. The werewolf had enlarged anal glands and could shoot the contents at someone. It was all I could do not to just burst out laughing.

In my view of werewolves, I feel that except in the cases where werewolves are clearly and unquestionably magical, powers that do not relate directly to changing into a wolf should be absent.

I would argue that the "strange physics bordering on the supernatural" kind of werewolves should also be classified with the magical werewolves, since it is easier to fit things like telepathy into such a scenario.

Since the werewolves in Freeborn are depicted as realistic and biological (even though we are never told exactly how their biology works), then I would say that their powers should be limited to:

(1) Turning into a wolf, or turning partway into a wolf. In extreme cases, a VERY EXPERIENCED werewolf might be able to manipulate the change in ways that would emulate another skill, such as making the body flatter to squeeze between the bars of a jail cell, or changing the shape of the nose and jaw just slightly so as to not get recognized, but I do not want to see much of that stuff, and I don't want anything extreme, such as being able to turn into exact copies of other people.

(2) Agility, strength, and senses in human form that are beyond the norm, but not excessively so (for example, I don't want werewolves who can run 100 miles an hour in human form, or who can bench press a truck).

(3) Regeneration powers that are a side effect of the transformation ability. Once again, I do not want these to be too extreme. A big wound would take longer to heal than a small wound, and a lost arm would be gone for good.

(4) Anything else that is closely related to powers 1, 2 or 3 or otherwise could logically follow from them.
Scoff all ya want, I'm an WWtA fan. ;) But I have to agree. In keeping to the idea of what Freeborn has alreadt laid out, lets not get all super-supernatural. Enhanced healing ( cause well that's a lot fo damage to the body itself when it shifts ) and regenrative capabilities, keener senses in all forms ( side efffect of the hybridization of teh virus perchance? ), and slightly stronger in human form i can see as being feasiable.

I also agree trying to introduce the higher politics of Tribe/Auspice/Pack stuff would just confuse the audience.., unless you were making this all a mimi series. :P Not to mention it'd be a direct ripp off of White Wolf.

*sighs*

Of course we also need to keep away from their newer line of WW stuff too.., :P

So keepiing to the K.I.S.S. method works best, imo.
:wolfpaint:
LinkedIn - Dev Art - Behance - Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She-wolf who stalked the forums when all else sane, slept.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Jamie wrote:I'm pretty sure I saw a gift in the Werewolf: Apocalypse books called "Power of the Skunk" or something like that. The werewolf had enlarged anal glands and could shoot the contents at someone. It was all I could do not to just burst out laughing.

White wolf sure came up with some corny stuff.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Hmmm, HEMAN AND THE POWER OF THE SKUUUNK!! Thats the first corny thing i heard from werewolf apocalypse, but I dont see what so bad about a werewolf having all that power in a complely fantasy world, like final fantasy, but if it were to be a place like this in our world I would defenitly want boundries:
A werewolf in human form would only be 25% stronger than just an average person.
A werewolf would take a half or most of the day to heal gunshots wound.
A werewolf would take a week or a little more to regrow a limb of somekind.
A werewolf should not climb on walls like spiderman, they should dig thier claws in certian walls like house walls(im not shure about anything concrete)
If a werewolf has to have magic, it would be limited, mabey some telekinesis thrown in, but not controlling the weather thats too far. for our world.
Although a werewolf default weapon is his claws and teeth and mabey a spear, I dont see why they cant use conventional weapons in gastalt form.
Werewolf are able to see through the night as good as pair of nightvission goggles.
A werewolf in gastalt form strength would be between 50%-70$ than an average human.
A werewolf should be able to jump,...oh I dont know mabey 6 -8ft up in the air.
A werewolf should be able to turn over a regular car with using 65%-75% amount of strength thats required.
A werewolf thats shot in the middle of the head should stay dead.
A TF sequence should only last 1 min:30 sec at the most.

You know with all that power that werewolfs have in werewolf apocalypse, it seems like thier the dominant species and the humans should be begging to them.
Last edited by Shadow Wulf on Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image