New to the pack

Welcome to "The Pack" forum! Come tell us about yourself!!
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

New to the pack

Post by Berserker »

Hey! Once I saw the preproduction teaser for Freeborn I nearly keeled over, and so I had to come check out this board. 8)

My interests include games (I'm a World of Warcraft addict right now,) RPGs (I enjoy writing stories and settings for D&D, even though I can't find anyone to play it with,) reading (fantasy with a distinct pre-D&D flare ala Tolkien, mythology, and philosophy,) and metal, folk, and ambient music (bands like Burzum, Dead Can Dance, Mortiis.)

I think my first exposure to werewolves was playing a game for the NES called Werewolf: The Last Warrior when I was a kid. They've been an (ever increasing) interest since then, and around the time I discovered Werewolf The Apocalypse in high school, I figured out that there was a sizable body of people who shared that interest.

Historically, I'm interested in the legend of the werewolf particularly as it pertains to ancient Indo-European culture and mythology; I like deducting references to the werewolf legend in sources like the Icelandic sagas and Norse eddas. Thematically, I'm fascinated by the reflections of nature and humanity in the werewolf, and by the concept of a human mind desensitizing itself to the gradual loss of human identity (via the wolf) in favor of a more "balanced" natural counterpart. I also tend to like stories where the protagonist is initially misperceived as villainous or monstrous, but who in actuality turns out to be benevolent or noble.

I'm working on a novel. It's a fictional nature/survival story presented as if it were a nonfictional account, about a professor of ecology on a solitary excursion in northern Canada who wakes up in his tent one morning to discover that he's inexplicably (and permanently?) become a werewolf. The story deals with the realistic and (pseudo)scientific consequences of such a change, the clash between nature and would-be nature, and struggle for survival. :shift:
Last edited by Berserker on Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Greetings, fellow writer! You'll find a number of us here; try the "Stories" section in the Arts section.

Oh, and have a duckie! :ducktoss3: Figarou usually does this... but he's being worked like a dog by his employer...

I'm helping out Figarou while he's overworking...
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The doomed Chocolate lover.
Mood: Happy

Post by Blue-eyes in the dark »

welcome and glad to meet ya, i'm sure you'll have a grand time here. :D :howl:  :oo
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Xiroteus »

Welcome to the forums.

(A little late.)
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Thanks... is there anywhere I can find a complete feature summary of the "consensus werewolf" that this place has developed?
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Look at the Freeborn section here: try the Makeup stuff and Silver's corner.

Other than that, there really is no "consensus werewolf" here; but if there were one, it'd probably look like a camel.

("A Camel is a horse designed by a comittee", ie: a Consensus Horse)
:lol:

Perhaps some of our Artists could try drawing their concept of a "Consensus Werewolf". Don't forget the humps... :lol: :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...