"Perfection"

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

mielikkishunt wrote:I doubt the alignment would go back to 'normal', seeing as a wolf's mouth is even more stuffed with teeth than a humans is.
Wolves may have more teeth, but they're not at closely placed.

I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Kavik
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Kavik the Wolf-Boy
Mood: Busy

Post by Kavik »

Lupin wrote:
mielikkishunt wrote:I doubt the alignment would go back to 'normal', seeing as a wolf's mouth is even more stuffed with teeth than a humans is.
Wolves may have more teeth, but they're not at closely placed.

Cool pix! Thanks.

I personally don't believe a werewolf has more teeth as a wolf than it does as a human, but that's only my preference. I think this is one of those things that should distinguish between a true wolf and a werewolf in wolf form.

(though obviously the teeth will look quite different when shifted)
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
Give a man a poisoned fish, feed him for life.
- Crazy Ivan (aka Kavik)
http://s3.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=167865
http://www.geocities.com/crazy_ivan_thx11/Talbot.htm
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

What proof do you hvae that Wolfs bites are 'perfectly in place'?

I doubt the alignment would go back to 'normal', seeing as a wolf's mouth is even more stuffed with teeth than a humans is.
This is a characteristic of most wild animals, and of predators in particular. Without aligned teeth, they can't attack prey as well as other wolves, they fail to reproduce, and then they don't pass on those faulty genes. Humans have crooked teeth because (1) in omnivores it matters less, especially since humans do not hunt with their teeth and (2) humans have little genetic pressure to reinforce the need for perfectly straight teeth.

As to a wolf's mouth having more teeth, I don't think that this would cause more crooked teeth in human form, since any decent shapeshifting process would cause the extra teeth to be shed or reabsorbed during the change to human. Otherwise, you'd keep accumulating more teeth each time you shifted to wolf and back.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

Sorry, but unless the canine has a severe parrot mouth, they can and do catch game. I used to believe like you do, but then sold a dog missing three teeth to a home where he has killed
coyotes
deer
skunks
coons
chased off a cougar
backed up a badger.

Bad parrot mouths would affect bites. Yes a dogs jaw is a lot less crowded than a person's. .but I still can't see it affecting a human's bite.
Lt Com Kyr

Could someone explain why my Russian Wolfhound only eats my WereWolf Books?
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

mielikkishunt wrote: Bad parrot mouths would affect bites. Yes a dogs jaw is a lot less crowded than a person's. .but I still can't see it affecting a human's bite.
When I have stated how a person's mouth would become straiter it had nothing to do with a wolf. It was that when you shift back you are using the stores information in your DNA that states how your teeth are placed in your mouth, my teeth may be naturaly crooked, but are more crooked because of the constant pushing of them from my lower teeth, my teeth may be then straiter because thats the way the information states it to be. Nothing to do with the canine mouth when I have stated this.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

having a crowded mouth, I will attest it would affect you, because you will be in PAIN, discomfort at the least. I still have my wisdom teeth, and when they push up every now and then, my entire jaw is sore. I'd rather my teeth just came back the way they are, then come in straight(and how do you explain that?) only to be crushed in your mouth! :P
Lt Com Kyr

outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

mielikkishunt wrote:having a crowded mouth, I will attest it would affect you, because you will be in PAIN, discomfort at the least. I still have my wisdom teeth, and when they push up every now and then, my entire jaw is sore. I'd rather my teeth just came back the way they are, then come in straight(and how do you explain that?) only to be crushed in your mouth! :P
I've been explaining how he teeth could come in straiter. Teeth may get crooked over the wear and tear on them from years of usage. You genetic coding does not hold information on your teeth being like that, though it was mentioned teeth can be naturaly crooked, and thus your teeth may grow back just as your genetic information says it should be. Same for pulling teeth, my genetics does not hold that information, yet it was also mentioned that your brain does know when a tooth is pulled.

This also can go for hair and nails, because for what I know of they don't have a gene that says 'stop growing here'. And also other factors that are because of nurture, changes in your body that nature, and the information of your genetics, attended. Yet and things we arn't suspecting to change, such a skin would just be strecthed and we defeintly don't want the brain to shapeshift too. (Though I suspect it may grow to the added nerves in the tail?)
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

The better to eat you with

Post by Scott Gardener »

If you can change the size and shape of teeth, one of the most difficult tasks of shape-shifting short of squeezing a human brain into a wolf's skull without losing any information stored in the cortex, then it's not that hard to make a few more. You'll kind of have to do that anyway to get the homologous teeth groups to match up. (That is, some of the molars would have to give up portions of their crown, more or less disappearing, while other portions would have to grow to huge size.)
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

That was kind of the jist of a previous post I made, Scott, which includes the fact a wolf has more teeth than a human . .

I solve it in my story with magic(and the fact in humanoid form, my characters have enlarged canines anyway LOL), but in the were story I'm toying with, the teeth will fall out depending on which way they go(Human teeth when they go lupinoid, lupine teeth when they go humanoid). The calcium intake will be huge, but that probably can be easily handled by gnawing on bones and sucking out marrow. . been so long since biology classes, I may be mistaken.

And yes, teeth set is genetic to a point.(so is tooth health. .. I bought a dog from a line known for poor tooth health, but was only told that poitn after I'd had to have 4 teeth removed out of the poor bugger)
Lt Com Kyr