Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Duckinator

Deathstar Debate

Post by Koshaw »

Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!
Mood: Excited

Post by Trinity »

heh. Not touching it. My range of fictious phsyics need not apply. *twitch*

*chuckles*
:wolfpaint:
LinkedIn - Dev Art - Behance - Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She-wolf who stalked the forums when all else sane, slept.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Here's a hint!

Post by Scott Gardener »

"Expanded Universe," Trek novels, and fan-fictions of everything from Elfquest to The X Files are an interesting philosophical bend on layers of reality. They're a fiction based on a fiction, so their rules of continuity are dual-layered.

I'm inclined to agree with Lucas that other fictions based on Star Wars should not constrain his own creative vision. That's because Star Wars is his, it's not a consensus-based storyline.

By comparison, Star Trek is a collaboration; its originator Gene Roddenbury has died several years ago. Still, it has varying levels of continuity. There's the official canon, the shows and the movies. Then, there's spin-offs that have their own internal continuity. Two good examples might be William Shatner's novels and the animated series. Shatner is not only knowledgable about Trek, he's Captain Kirk, one of the main characters. However, novels like The Ashes of Eden, while compatable with the canon, are not officially reverse-compatable. (Still, I have yet to see what I've read--a comic adaptation of that one and the actual second novel--contradicted.) The animated series of the early seventies is a spin-off of the original series, but it in several ways contradicts the official series from Next Generation onward. (Still, it draws some parallels. One episode featured a holodeck.)

Basically, it all boils down to your vision of a storyline. We tend to watch a show or movie, read some of the spin-off stuff, and then daydream our own fan-fiction. That combines to create a personal take that has a certain sense of continuity. We get disgruntled when that continuity is disrupted. I remember how I felt after seeing Transformers: the Movie, having to go back and reincorporate into my own daydream storyline the fact that Optimus Prime was dead and Megatron upgraded with the Service Pack from Hell, and now had a voice like an angry Spock.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Hamster
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hamster »

Damn man. I was talking about this in school and forever placed a geek. Well, I like this. These are my people. I have told people (well my geek friends) that the , and I will quote them
"the Expanded Universe is NOT part of the official story of Star Wars"
Love this quote!

This is a cool page man. I'm not the only geek!!!! :howl:  :oo
Meh Dev account: http://kileyhannan.deviantart.com/

"Life... It's drawing without an eraser..."