The place for anything at all...
WereDog
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Hell-hound From outer regions of pluto

Post by WereDog »

Terastas wrote:
weredog wrote:i love eighties rock.... it simply rocks :lol:
Ditto I suppose, though I'm more selective in tersm of what eighties rock I like. Aerosmith and Boston come to mind before anything else (and no, the fact that their both from this state and Steve Tyler and I share the same birthdate has nothing to do with it), and of course. I also like some of Ozzy Osbourne's work, though I tend to favor mostly his 1990s-2000 stuff, so I wasn't sure wether to include him or not.

And now for something almost completely unrelated:
Any Crystal Method fans here?
well yeah, you cant realy generalize like that, but i think the rock scene had many golden moments in that decade.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

alot of the rock now a days kinda suck and send a bad message, rock never sent bad messages in the begining until the late 80s i think and early 90s, thats when it started to get messed up. but dont get me wrong i still like alot of bands even some that plays negative music like rob zombie.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

I'm a brand new foagie

Post by Scott Gardener »

I swore back in the eighties that I would never be "an old foagie" and hate contemporary music. But, that was back when contemporary music didn't actually suck.

I've got people of all ages talking about how contemporary radio music is either crap or retro, remembering days when it wasn't crap.

Don't get me wrong; there's a lot of great new music. You just don't hear it on the radio; it's all underground.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Re: I'm a brand new foagie

Post by Lupin »

Scott Gardener wrote:I've got people of all ages talking about how contemporary radio music is either crap or retro, remembering days when it wasn't crap.
Yes, there as been an annyoing large amount of sampling going on in the mainstream (Top 40) lately, and I find it really annoying.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

We have Sony and Clear Channel to thank for the crap being aired over most of the country's airwaves today. I swear, the local oldies station that my horse's trainers play in their tack room plays "Rocket Man" regularly enough that you can literally set a clock to it :wolfclock: "Ah, there goes 'Rocket Man,' it must be 5:30PM!"

And get this, kids, they got caught with their pants down. Payola is alive and well and living in the Sony Corporate HQ. At least now we have something to hang over their heads when they threaten to sue another private citizen for file-sharing.

http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0804-30.htm
ImageImageImageImage
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Terastas wrote:I like metal if it's done with effort. While I don't know if they'd qualify as black metal or grind core, I'm a big fan of bands like the Cult, Sevendust, System of a Down, Disturbed, Evanesence, etc. because, not only are they nice and intense, but their guitarists can actually play more than three chords, and more than that, their lead singers can actually sing. Way too many bands like Slipknot and who knows how many Slipknot clones are out there (the ones that have names like Kevorkian or Kollumbine Killaz) is that the singers think they can get by with just devil-growling.

Right now I'm on a campus computer though, so I can't visit those websites to compare. :P
Personally, I don't think System of A Down is 'done with effort'. I really hate the vocals sometimes, I think thats the main problem why I don't like SOAD. And 'devil growling' is way more complex then you might think. If you do it wrong, by just growling like a maniac, you'll lose your voice within a week.

Anyway, I found a Dutch black metal-band on the web, called Fluisterwoud (it means something like Whispering Forest). Everytime I hear this song called 'Tergenis', I'm laughing out loud. :lol: The vocals are really funny. Only bad thing is the quality of the MP3, but the site says the original song on CD sounds much better. Check the MP3 here:

http://www.fluisterwoud.nl/666/mp3/tergernis.mp3

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Professional Air Guitarist

Post by Black Shuck »

I don't like the SOAD vocals that much either. I never really could get into that band. The Fluisterwoud vocals do sound kinda funny :lol:
Image<-- Don't Do Crack (character from South Park)
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Thats why I like black metal so much, its just funny. :D You can't take it seriously.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Listen to this:

http://www.hiddeninthefog.de/HIDDEN%20I ... railer.mp3

A MP3-compilation of the latest Hidden in the Fog-album. :D

I love it! :o
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Black Shuck »

That's actuall pretty cool stuff :headbanger:
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Jup, German black metal. :D

The violins really give it a cool touch. At least, before the guns go blazing. :P
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Black Shuck »

Yeah. I've always found it interesting how black metal can have pianos and violins in it. It always sounds haunting though, which is cool 8)
Spirit of the Wolf
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by Spirit of the Wolf »

hmm. Does Iron Maiden, Slipknot, Megadeth, System of a Down, and that kinda thing count as "extreme" :lol:
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

No. :P

Listen to the link posted some posts above, if you wanna know what I mean with 'extreme'. :D
hydrocarbon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Random passerby

Post by hydrocarbon »

I'm not a big metal fan, but I really like the, uh, 'pretty' ones - the kind of songs that are hauntingly beautiful and really striking. The bands I think of are Katatonia and Opeth.
If anyone else likes them (and their styles) can you recommend any other bands? I've got a fair range of musical tastes (hardcore, emo, trance, dance, techno, classical, industrial, 'easy listening', some metal, alternative, screamo, ambient - the creepy atmospheric kind - and just straight-up rock) so I'm pretty open to most genres.
"Weresharks? You idiot, there's no such thing as wereshaAAAGH OHGODMYLEG!"

Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

If you like Opeth (the softer side), you'll probably enjoy Porcupine Tree.
Dyviath
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by Dyviath »

Morkulv wrote:Listen to this:

Geez, that scared me. :( It was all quite and peaceful like and then... *BAM!!!* it gets all extreme on me.

I'm not that big on death metal, or any kind of metel.
Although I do like a lot of music by Rob/White Zombie.

I'm more of a trance-freak.

I do listen to a lot of different genres like:
Adult Alternative (well, some of it anyway, a lot of it's crap),
Jungle / Drum & Bass,
Goa / (Psychedelic) Trance,
Techno,
Hardcore,
Rock,
Pop,
And I'm sure there's others I've forgot, but, eh.
Oh, I know what I forgot now, Orchestral music. It takes an open mind to enjoy it. I especially enjoy the stuff from Morrowind, those of you who played about Morrowind know what I'm talking about.

I really despise Rap, R & B, and especially... Country.

Ribb
Last edited by Dyviath on Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Ribb wrote:
Morkulv wrote:Listen to this:

Geez, that scared me. :( It was all quite and peaceful like and then... *BAM!!!* it gets all extreme on me.
:D

I'm used to that kind of moments. Especially when you listen black metal all the time, it won't scare you that easily anymore. :)
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Hrmm...

When I think of Metal, I usually think of Sacred Rite and Tragic Nancy. If I remember right, they were both pretty big bands in Hawaii when I was over there in the 80s, but I didn't start even liking their music until a year or two ago.

Heck, I'm also waiting on a friend in Sweden or Norway (somewhere in Scandanavia) to finish establishing his music label / distribution label - since he's working exclusively with metal, and no other forms of music.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

i'm joining aband its called the dark side of humanity i'l singing in it its a mix of rap and hevy metal. we're doing in our alter egos one is a demon another is death, my best friend is a bone dude me i'm a werewolf. its going to be awesome!
THE GAME

My Armory
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Good deal. I'm afraid I can't join another band right now... I'm stuck with a few music projects as we speak...(to say the least)
Prime 7 (Metal) (debut album)
Wolf: The Animated Feature (some soundtrack-related work)
another metal project (I'll spill the beans after recording is done)
Next solo CD
Lake Atitlan International Music and Arts Festival 2006 (concert) (dunno what I'll be playing - likely a mix of rock, metal, and otherstuff on my electric violin)
Hospital Atitlan fundraiser CD (submitted - awaiting a response)
Elite Veterans of Rock (Tracks Across America IV - done)
Debut album (done)
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Anubis wrote:i'm joining aband its called the dark side of humanity i'l singing in it its a mix of rap and hevy metal.
Hmm, I never liked the combi between those 2 music-genres. But maybe you can confince me with your band. :D
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

you don't think its a good combi? have you not listened to linkinpark and jay-z remix album (collision course) man that gives me the goose bumps cause it was sooooooo good :)
THE GAME

My Armory
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Black Shuck »

When I think of rap and heavy metal, I think of Insane Clown Posse. I've never been a big fan of them, but all my friends like ICP. You should give us a clip of your band so we can hear it :D