Offspring Question

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

Anubis wrote:
From the way we're looking at it lycanthropy would be like a virus, not a gene.
i don't see how that would work.
If I remember my biology right, it works like a retrovirus. . I think the AIDS virus is such, it 'rewrites' the DNA. . .someone help me here LOL
Lt Com Kyr

Could someone explain why my Russian Wolfhound only eats my WereWolf Books?
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

If a werewolf were to mate with a human it should infect the the human aswell as the off spring cause the genes will travle all over the body including the reproductive system.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

mielikkishunt wrote:
Anubis wrote:
From the way we're looking at it lycanthropy would be like a virus, not a gene.
i don't see how that would work.
If I remember my biology right, it works like a retrovirus. . I think the AIDS virus is such, it 'rewrites' the DNA. . .someone help me here LOL
There is no virus for AIDS.
The HIV virus has a core of RNA, instead of DNA. To insert its genetic payload into the host's DNA, it converts its RNA into DNA using an enzyme called "Reverse Transcriptase."
Normal transcriptase creates an RNA copy of a particular gene.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

sorry, when I researched AIDS for a paper back in 89, it was called the 'aids' virus.

<,The HIV virus has a core of RNA, instead of DNA. To insert its genetic payload into the host's DNA, it converts its RNA into DNA using an enzyme called "Reverse Transcriptase."
Normal transcriptase creates an RNA copy of a particular gene.>>

And this could very well be what the 'werewolf' virus does :)
Lt Com Kyr

outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

mielikkishunt wrote:sorry, when I researched AIDS for a paper back in 89, it was called the 'aids' virus.

<,The HIV virus has a core of RNA, instead of DNA. To insert its genetic payload into the host's DNA, it converts its RNA into DNA using an enzyme called "Reverse Transcriptase."
Normal transcriptase creates an RNA copy of a particular gene.>>

And this could very well be what the 'werewolf' virus does :)
I think that could be what the 'werewolf virus' does, though in my earleir senseless rambling I thought on that. if it rewrites the human's DNA, then how do they change back? Wheres the old DNA now? It's been changed and so far I don't know how the body could shift back without the old blueprints.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

they still have the blue prints when a WW TFs h's cell uses multipule blue prints one of each form. and when say picks gestalt form his body uses that one while the others are dormit
THE GAME

My Armory
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Anubis wrote:they still have the blue prints when a WW TFs h's cell uses multipule blue prints one of each form. and when say picks gestalt form his body uses that one while the others are dormit
If the virus just changes the DNA, that means it's changed, what would change it back? Your genetics are unique to you (unless you have an identical twin.) and it had just been changed, how do you get that information back? Its no where, obsolete, because the only one of it had just been changed.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

AAAAAAAAAARG!!!! A werew wolf has3!!!!! sets of DNA! the werewolf only uses one depending on what form he is in!!!!!!!!!!!
THE GAME

My Armory
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Anubis wrote:AAAAAAAAAARG!!!! A werew wolf has3!!!!! sets of DNA! the werewolf only uses one depending on what form he is in!!!!!!!!!!!
:blink:
Woah Woah, first, no yelling. Please, I've yelled and been crude different times too before but I just don't find an excuse of why it could be used here. It is not a good way to discuss or debate, don't yell, and give details of what you are thinking rather than screaming them out as though they are automaticly truth.

Secondly, I was commenting on mielikkishunt comment with that the werewolf virus could be something like the HIV virus. I was discussing that certain idea, we all have the right to think of different ideas on lycanthropy.

I said that there wouldn't be a human DNA anymore if it were changed. Being the human has one set of DNA, if the virus changed that set as almost gene therapy (I beleive thats true.). There would be nothing to change the human back, for theres no virus running around with a human DNA in it, and even so it may not have the exact human's DNA. I think that would be such a solution to becoming a werewolf, especiialy that someone who pernamently turns into a wolf is also considered a werewolf, I just don't know how the human would change back.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

oh thats what you mean. he he sorry :oops:
THE GAME

My Armory
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

Anubis wrote:AAAAAAAAAARG!!!! A werew wolf has3!!!!! sets of DNA! the werewolf only uses one depending on what form he is in!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry Anubis, but nope. . just not 'biologically' happening. . .

I take it more like a chameleon being able to change themselves. .tho to more extremes. .besides, it's 'magic'.
Lt Com Kyr

mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

outwarddoodles wrote:
I said that there wouldn't be a human DNA anymore if it were changed. Being the human has one set of DNA, if the virus changed that set as almost gene therapy (I beleive thats true.). There would be nothing to change the human back, for theres no virus running around with a human DNA in it, and even so it may not have the exact human's DNA. I think that would be such a solution to becoming a werewolf, especiialy that someone who pernamently turns into a wolf is also considered a werewolf, I just don't know how the human would change back.
He's not human, he's were :)
Lt Com Kyr

Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

"do you believe in magic...?" :D j/k but I have to say the werewolf is more like a virus, if you guys were to make this ultimately realistic, I would say the werewolf couldnt changeback into human form agien cause the virus would be rewritting the DNA strands which would be mutated, thus the person will slowly change into a werewolf like ginger snap but slower after that theres no going back, I can Imagine a 3-5 min TF will kill anyone, but realistic or not, if its in the movies make it 2 min tops, anyone says other wise should be ignored. But anyway I really like the idea of a werewolf TF in out of beast form.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Wolfhanyou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolfhanyou »

mielikkishunt wrote:

I take it more like a chameleon being able to change themselves. .tho to more extremes. .besides, it's 'magic'.
What if their transformation skills are like dat of an octipus?

Magic is the ultimate answer to everythin'. Believe. :hsup
Boo
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Magic is the ultimate answer to everythin'. Believe.
Not if your a nit picky [erson like me. I love magic as an eliment but I do like some realism, and ofcource I hate it when magic goes over the edge and creates an over the top book full of crud.
:| :)
I don't think octipus are as complex as we are, but they do have an amazing ability!
"do you believe in magic...?" j/k but I have to say the werewolf is more like a virus, if you guys were to make this ultimately realistic,
I think discussing stuff like this is really fun and great, but some people, maybe even me, may think we need a better hobby...Nahh!
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

lol I think your right, we do need a new hobby, :lol: uuuummmm, hop scotch anybody> :D
Image Image
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

I prefer tic tac tow :D
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Fenrir wrote:I prefer tic tac tow :D
great pick, I go first..... :lol:
Image Image
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

Wolfhanyou wrote:
mielikkishunt wrote:

Could I ask a big favor? Please 'speak' in correct English. . .nothing gets my fur up than seeing baby talk or just mutilated English. . .sorry.

Anyway, Octopi don't change. .they just change their colors, not unlike I believe a chameleon. . .they can mimic other things, but their bodies do not change. They can change the arrangement of their tentacles to mimic another fish or seaweed or such, but their body is the same. .
Lt Com Kyr

outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Could I ask a big favor? Please 'speak' in correct English. . .nothing gets my fur up than seeing baby talk or just mutilated English. . .sorry.
Your hearing this from the grammar and typing nazi, that was just unnecessary. What did she do? Say 'dat' and "everythin'", now really. She uses correct grammar, and ven used an apostraphe, showing that she does care about her typing and takes note to it, just uses different words.

Theres a differece. I dislike it when people show no effort in their typing, which can be very easily spotted, this does not look like that at all. It was not at all baby talked or mutilated, and though you may have a pet peeve like me, but the world ain't goin' to get all perfect, though you may stress of what you want, this person has the right to 'talk' as she pleases here, and some are just pure unnecessary.

Sorry.
Wolfhanyou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolfhanyou »

mielikkishunt wrote:
Wolfhanyou wrote:
mielikkishunt wrote:

Anyway, Octopi don't change. .they just change their colors, not unlike I believe a chameleon. . .they can mimic other things, but their bodies do not change. They can change the arrangement of their tentacles to mimic another fish or seaweed or such, but their body is the same. .
Sure. I was feeling like talking that way, that day. And I understand about the octipus change their colors. But than again, I thought that's what you ment with the chameleon(miscommunication. Sorry). Though now that I think about it, don't their colors change depending on their mood? This is irrelevent of course... so you don't have to reply to that question.
Boo
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

outwarddoodles wrote:
Your hearing this from the grammar and typing nazi, that was just unnecessary. What did she do? Say 'dat' and "everythin'", now really. She uses correct grammar, and ven used an apostraphe, showing that she does care about her typing and takes note to it, just uses different words.
It comes down from having to decipher cromosomes and genenome and 'reporduce sexualy', thier instead of their . . .makes it hard to read, and gives me a headache, and makes me cranky. And 'dat' is baby talk. But I mispointed my frustration to the wrong person, for which I apologize. .the poster who used 'dat' isn't the one who's been driving me nuts on this thread with their mutilation of the English language.

(BTW, if you're the grammar/typing nazy, it's you're hearing)
:)

No, Octopi and chameleons change their colors to fit their surroundings, to hide and blend in, I don't think they really do it because of 'mood'. . .tho they may do it in the height of mate seducing. What they don't do is actually change their bodies appearance like a Were does.

If I remember right, I read a book once where the 'virus' was intelligent. .thus the ability to change back and forth was more feasible. .but I have so many were books, wouldn't know where to start looking!
Lt Com Kyr

Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

The (former) human's DNA would be changed by the lycanthropic virus in that, extra genes are inserted into the genome.
He still has the genes that "make/keep him human," but now, he has genes that turn him into a werewolf, too.
It would be like changing a book by adding extra chapters, with rewriting the other chapters only to maintain continuity, as opposed to changing the book by scrapping it, and rewriting it entirely.
When the new lycanthropic genes are stimulated (by moonlight, adrenaline rush, etc), they begin making their protein products which then stimulate the body into changing shape.
When these genes aren't stimulated, the other, original human genes continue to go about their business, and I would suspect that most of them would remain going about their business when the lycanthropic genes are active; though, the lycanthropic genes might stimulate some of the other original genes to alter their activity, either to greater or lower levels, depending on what they do, like, for example, the regulation of adrenaline production.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

It comes down from having to decipher cromosomes and genenome and 'reporduce sexualy', thier instead of their . . .makes it hard to read, and gives me a headache, and makes me cranky. And 'dat' is baby talk. But I mispointed my frustration to the wrong person, for which I apologize. .the poster who used 'dat' isn't the one who's been driving me nuts on this thread with their mutilation of the English language.

(BTW, if you're the grammar/typing nazy, it's you're hearing)
Tis okay. (Hey, wait, I do have very bad hearing, I swear half my conversations are 'what, what did you say?', which ticks off my friends and me, I'm not firm to grammar and spelling, I've been labeled as a 'grammar nazi' but truly, it's just typing the that shows the typer didn't give a care about it.
:D )

Thanks Apokryltaros, which would mean the genes would be much like adding them, with them becomeing dominate and recessive at different times. Which was what I was starting to think, yet would that mean the virus wouldn't be needed anymore once it adds in the information?
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

outwarddoodles wrote:
Thanks Apokryltaros, which would mean the genes would be much like adding them, with them becomeing dominate and recessive at different times. Which was what I was starting to think, yet would that mean the virus wouldn't be needed anymore once it adds in the information?
Not dominant and recessive, the lycanthropic genes would, if necessary and or applicable, alter the activity level of other genes.
Plus, the lycanthrope's cells would still make the actual virus, otherwise, how would he remain infectious?
-Calculon