Copyrighting my Drawings

The place for anything at all...
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Copyrighting my Drawings

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Can anyone tell me how do I copyright my drawings, I cant help but to feel that someone out there or in this forum might take my drawings for thier artwork, I really need to have something to make shure to everyone that I made it. If no one can copyright my drawings then Ill be forced to delete all my drawings from the forum. :(
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

This... but it's not cheap.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Ummm...no. From what I know of you do not have to pay to get your artwork copyrighted. Shadow; the instant you put that pencil to the paper, its copyrighted to you. If you are afraid of poeple stealing, state wheere you post your pictures your rules of using those images and that it is copyrighted to you. You can sign it different ways too, I sign my drawings near the head of the thing, so if anyone crops it they're going to atleast keep the head and thus my signature. Or you can add a 'water mark' on it by using photoshop.

If you relly want information on artwork copyright laws, just search information up on Google.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

Heh heh, I don't really know anything about art and I have trouble making readable handwriting let alone a decent picture. I do 3D models if that counts as art.
Rwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: 1,2... 10 pointy black claws.

Post by Rwolf »

Here is a neat trick my teacher at collage told me (although it may not be applicable in this case). If your designing a logo for commercial use. Put that design (prefiribly the original) in a envelope and mail it to yourself, but DO NOT open it when you recieve it.

The envelope will be postdated and if it ever comes to court, and acused of art theft, theft design. You can use that unopened envelope as evidence you created that logo before that person/art theft your dealing with.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

You have the rights to everything you create from the moment you put pen to paper. If you don't want anyone to steal your stuff, you could put a watermark over it. Do you have reason to believe someone has done this?
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

The fact that there are millions apon millions of people on the web and one can pass by here and just take it, or someone in here can act as a friend and secretly copy it and show it to their friends and say that he drew that. Even though its inetible, but atleast I have something to stand my grounds on.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Shadow Wulf wrote:The fact that there are millions apon millions of people on the web and one can pass by here and just take it, or someone in here can act as a friend and secretly copy it and show it to their friends and say that he drew that. Even though its inetible, but atleast I have something to stand my grounds on.
Something that is perfectly reasonable. Something that I fear myself. Thus is why to take measures to keep the artwork safe. Luckily, Shadow doesn't need to fear me; I usually ask permission before I print something out to tape to my wall, unless say the artist has a page that says I can do so anyway, inwhich I keep the image the same and if the person had not signed it I will write their name on it myself.

Shadow Wulf; you need to get a DeviantArt account, so you can show off your images and have a place to write on your drawings to direct people to, so if your drawings manage to get somewhere else, someone interested in it can type up the url to your gallery.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I was actualy thinking about getting a deviant art account, if I can get my drawings registered then it would already be proven that I drew it first.
Image Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Shadow Wulf wrote:I was actualy thinking about getting a deviant art account, if I can get my drawings registered then it would already be proven that I drew it first.

You know, I've encountered an art thief. Turned out to be a kid who just wanted attention. He posts a pic saying he drew it and waits for people to go.....

"Oooo...nice pic!!" "Great drawing!!" ETC.

Why do that? Those people confuse me.

And Shadow Wulf. You should realize that there could be someone out there that draws exactly like you. What will you do if you stumle across his work? Will you say he stole your style? At least you know how to draw. Thats what counts. If you feel someone is taking your work, then don't post them.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

You can always go with the watermark route. People will have a hard time claiming it's theirs when it has your name across it, and you'll have the clean original to do with as you wish.

Something like this:

Is that what you're looking for?

It does detract a little, but if you're really that worried about people stealing your work, it's a good option. I did the watermarking in the example above entirely in GIMP, so it's not like you have to buy anything to do this. (The drawing itself, by the way, is © Dee Dreslough).

-- Vilkacis
Prowler
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Arctic interests

Post by Prowler »

Arn't all posts on the forum property of the user? I'm sure it'll say that somewhere in the legal section of this site. (i'm sure it does on my friends)
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

For me, I always just throw a little "(c) 2005 LazyWolf" at the bottom of my pictures with some kind of way to contact me, eg lazywolf.deviantart.com . I would watermark, but I figure that just detracts from the artwork.
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Personally, I don't really care. I mean, I have the originals, and I do this mostly for myself, so I don't really care if someone decides to copy it. So all I do is sign and date it.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Figarou wrote: And Shadow Wulf. You should realize that there could be someone out there that draws exactly like you. What will you do if you stumle across his work? Will you say he stole your style? At least you know how to draw. Thats what counts. If you feel someone is taking your work, then don't post them.
But I wanna post them for you guys to see them :cry: And plus its a very, very rare thing for someone to draw the exact same thing you made up in the exact same poster and the exact same style. Thats 1 in a billion if that.
Image Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Shadow Wulf wrote:But I wanna post them for you guys to see them :cry: And plus its a very, very rare thing for someone to draw the exact same thing you made up in the exact same poster and the exact same style. Thats 1 in a billion if that.

I'm not talking about the exact same picture. Just the same style.

And if you want to show us your art, go right ahead. I'd like to see what you did. :D
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Shadow Wulf

If you want a good and reliable copyright for your drawings, go straight through the government... This is the copyright program I use for my art and it's:

www.copyright.gov

I have had this copyright for many years and I have had to sue a few folks for attempting to use my work without my giving permisson to do so!! Peope are greedy and you work has to be protected b ecause of that, so check out the web site and if you have the funds, do it!! Because remember people are always looking for new ideas and will take it if they know they can!!!

Also if you have any stories or books you want to publish or create, have your work registered at:

The Writers Guild Of America

www.wga.org

I was told of this site by Abrownriggs and I had it done immedietly!!!

There are other copyright programs out there that I use as well because of extra protection and make surew that there is no way of mistakes so just look around, but I strongly suggest these two above because they really work for me :D
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

ok thanks.
Image Image
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Well is there any word on the copyright process ShadowWulf?
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Sanity is relative.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Ralith Lupus wrote:People, be aware of this: as has been said, a copyright is applied the moment $TOOL touches $MEDIUM.
Yeah, it's kind of weird to think that the undeveloped film in my camera has copyright protection already.
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Well, it would really depend on how you define protection. If someone stole your film, you'd have a hard time proving that it was yours originally, unless you take photos of some really weird things.
Sanity is relative.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Ralith Lupus wrote:Well, it would really depend on how you define protection. If someone stole your film, you'd have a hard time proving that it was yours originally, unless you take photos of some really weird things.
Well that's physical security. Plus I tend to write on the canisters and the part of the film exposed when I load it, else I lose track of what roll goes with what notes.