Mating Season

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Do werewolves have a mating season?

Yes
48%
No
34%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
18%

Total votes: 50

Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Mating Season

Post by Set »

Should werewolves (when shifted) only feel the urge to reproduce at certain times of the year like real wolves, or do you think they'd want to do er, that...at any possible time? I guess what I'm asking is do werewolves have a mating season?
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

I think they kinda-do, kinda-don't. Let me explain. Like a lot of the more 'animalistic' aspects of werewolves, I think the 'mating urge' would be a bit stronger during the proper 'seasons', but it could be resisted or indulged in anytime they wish, on account of the human aspects having influence as well.

In an RPG I'm in, my werewolf character goes into a sort of 'heat' cycle for a week or two every few months, where the urge or 'get it on' with someone is a bit harder to ignore, but she could go after someone anytime she wished.
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

hmmm...I think wolf pups are born in the spring, correct? If thats the case, then its 2 months prior.

Now here is the problem. We still didn't figure out how long it takes for the development of the werewolf fetus in the womb. Solve that and you'll have your mating season.
SnowWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Suck it up, cupcake

Post by SnowWalker »

does it really matter? seriously. The image of two werewolves going at it in wolf form just grosses me out, I am totally not into that furry pron stuff.

well, that's my opinion and i'm sticking to it.

~Snowy
Bete
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Bete »

I am not going to say how I voted, but I will say that a werewolf (being part wolf and part human) could take on the personality of the human side or the wolf side, and because humans have such diverse personalities, it could be all over the board due to culture, life experiences, religion and etc. I think the movie is safe in going anyway the writer and director see fit.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

There might have been a werewolf mating season at one point, but in modern America where the seasons can be counteracted with heating and air conditioning, they probably don't adhere to any such tradition any more.
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

i think while werewolves may not look human most of their mind stays mostly human. Just my opinion of course. Therefore i think that mating seasons would not apply to werewolves.
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.
NightStorm
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightStorm »

why do I feel like it's the "brests" topic deja vu? :lol:
yes and no...once a were, females should go through heats once a year... their menstral cycle is disrupted..but it's idea
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Well.....I don't think they should have a mating season and that they can mate anytime they want.....However I do believe they should only be able to have pups at a certain time of the year every year if they so chose to. So she goes into heat and her body is ready at a certain time and if her mate and her decide to have pups they would.......well.....mate..But somewhere private for her and her mate to be comfortable as what they would do when they would mate at anytime. It is a private and intimate moment for them and also a chance for them to spent time together.....Being half human u just would have that urge to mate with your companion so don't take that away :D
netherwurm
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by netherwurm »

Do they really need a mating season? I would think the human aspect of them would be dominant, and sense humans don't have an "in season" neither should they.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Next topic. Should werewolves wear Nike or Adidas?
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Season's greetings!

Post by Scott Gardener »

My lycanthropes can feel frisky at any time, but I have considered a soft mating season--having heightened interest around February or March. Wolves, of course, have a genuinely rigid mating season around then, and that is when they're both willing and able to copulate to bear cubs. But, if dogs can feel the urges in other months, I would expect wolves to be likewise.

Human fertility cycles are monthly; werewolf fans are already aware of this, as the full moon menses metaphor has already been the subject of numerous bad jokes, a Type O Negative song, and various story ideas. But, though human women tend to feel more erotic at the time of ovulation, the difference is subtle enough that most people of either gender aren't even aware of this fact. Human men such as myself are pretty much on all the time.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Season's greetings!

Post by ChaosWolf »

Scott Gardener wrote:My lycanthropes can feel frisky at any time, but I have considered a soft mating season--having heightened interest around February or March. Wolves, of course, have a genuinely rigid mating season around then, and that is when they're both willing and able to copulate to bear cubs. But, if dogs can feel the urges in other months, I would expect wolves to be likewise.
That's exactly the way I see it. Werewolves are able to be 'in the mood' at any time, just like humans, but once or twice a year, the urges are a bit stronger, since that is also when they are physically capable of having offspring.

Also, the way I see it, this semi-lupine cycle 'overwrites' the human cycle so, boom, no 'time of the month'... well, in one sense of the term, anyway. :wink:

But, of course, for appearances sake, in my ideals of things she-wolves occasionally buy 'feminine supplies' and keep them on hand, in case a non-were friend needs one, some nosy guest rifles through the medicine cabinet, or some other occasion where not having one would seem unusual.
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:My lycanthropes can feel frisky at any time, but I have considered a soft mating season--having heightened interest around February or March. Wolves, of course, have a genuinely rigid mating season around then, and that is when they're both willing and able to copulate to bear cubs. But, if dogs can feel the urges in other months, I would expect wolves to be likewise.

whoa whoa. hold on. stop the bus!!

1st of all, shouldn't it be bare and not bear? Also, when in a wolf pack, only the alphas can mate. Am I right? I know a non-alpha female wolf can have pups outside the pack. But what will the alpha female do to them? Probably kill them. Wolves have an estrus period of 5-15 days. The male knows the female is ready. She is in heat. Thats the only time they can mate. Human beings are thus in a sense freed from the estrus cycle, and they can choose when or whether to mate. So, with that said, are wolf instincts are at play here, or is it human instincts?
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

To bare: "To expose, to remove cover from"
"ie, to "bare one's soul,""
To bear: "To carry, to give birth,"
"ie, "to bear arms," "to bear a child""

Furthermore, human females have what's known as "hidden estrus," in that, women do not have obvious symptoms that show that they're ovulating, or at least, symptoms or cues that the human male can immediately notice.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:To bare: "To expose, to remove cover from"
"ie, to "bare one's soul,""
To bear: "To carry, to give birth,"
"ie, "to bear arms," "to bear a child""

Furthermore, human females have what's known as "hidden estrus," in that, women do not have obvious symptoms that show that they're ovulating, or at least, symptoms or cues that the human male can immediately notice.

its "bare" type "to bare young" with quotes in google and tell me what you come up with.

I'm just going by what google says. If its "bear" ok. If its bare, then I'm confused. Someone needs to correct all those sites that has bare in it.

EDIT

Ah!! Ok!! Bare is an archaic past of BEAR. Its "bear young." Google can be confusing sometimes.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I think that werewolves could be 'in the mood' anytime like humans. Though when the mating season comes around, the females chances of having cubs is greatest. They would be at their most fertile then.
Treads Lightly
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Treads Lightly »

Figarou wrote: whoa whoa. hold on. stop the bus!!

1st of all, shouldn't it be bare and not bear? Also, when in a wolf pack, only the alphas can mate. Am I right? I know a non-alpha female wolf can have pups outside the pack. But what will the alpha female do to them? Probably kill them. Wolves have an estrus period of 5-15 days. The male knows the female is ready. She is in heat. Thats the only time they can mate. Human beings are thus in a sense freed from the estrus cycle, and they can choose when or whether to mate. So, with that said, are wolf instincts are at play here, or is it human instincts?
Generally it is only the alpha pair that mates, but on occasion the other members of a pack may mate and have a litter as well. These additional puppies are not killed but rather cared for by the pack just as if they were the alpha pair’s puppies.

The alpha will “discourage” this action during breeding season unless it is an unusually plentiful year. There have been studies that prove that wolf litters are related to available prey and pack attrition. More prey and/or more members killed means that the number of puppies will generally be higher.

The physiological reason for only the alpha pair breeding is that the beta pair is usually brother and sister and inbreeding can cause a lot of problems.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Treads Lightly wrote: Generally it is only the alpha pair that mates, but on occasion the other members of a pack may mate and have a litter as well. These additional puppies are not killed but rather cared for by the pack just as if they were the alpha pair’s puppies.
Hmmm....must of been thinking of some other animal. I don't remember if its the male lion that may kill the cubs.
Treads Lightly
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Treads Lightly »

Figarou wrote: Hmmm....must of been thinking of some other animal. I don't remember if its the male lion that may kill the cubs.
You are correct, it is male lions that kill the offspring of other males. Lions also have a harem, meaning that they mate with as many females as they can.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Treads Lightly wrote:
Figarou wrote: Hmmm....must of been thinking of some other animal. I don't remember if its the male lion that may kill the cubs.
You are correct, it is male lions that kill the offspring of other males. Lions also have a harem, meaning that they mate with as many females as they can.
Ah, ok. That was the animal I was thinking at the time.

Thanks.
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lurking Spirit

Post by Blade-of-the-Moon »

Heh, I think humans are the ones that need a mating season ..... :lol:

But werewolves could probably go either way, there could be a certain time of the year that is preffered by traditon but not really needed.
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:Heh, I think humans are the ones that need a mating season ..... :lol:

I can see it now.

(son) *sniff* "Mommy?"

(mom) "yes?"

(son) "Why do you smell funny?"

(dad) *sniff* "Oh my, time to get busy."

:lol: :lol:
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lurking Spirit

Post by Blade-of-the-Moon »

Figarou wrote:
Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:Heh, I think humans are the ones that need a mating season ..... :lol:

I can see it now.

(son) *sniff* "Mommy?"

(mom) "yes?"

(son) "Why do you smell funny?"

(dad) *sniff* "Oh my, time to get busy."

:lol: :lol:
You assume humans are even that perceptive..... :lol:
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote: You assume humans are even that perceptive..... :lol:

If it was a once a year thing, who wouldn't be? :lol: