Limb Regeneration

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Can werewolves regenerate limbs?

Yes, but only if all limbs were present before the bite
28%
Yes, no matter what
11%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
51%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
11%

Total votes: 65

Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

The most extereme form of werewolf regeneration I have ever seen was in the movie Monster Squad where the wolfie reassembled himself after being blown to bits with a dynamite :P
Curan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wor'Kai

Post by Curan »

Doruk Golcu wrote:The most extereme form of werewolf regeneration I have ever seen was in the movie Monster Squad where the wolfie reassembled himself after being blown to bits with a dynamite :P
Uuuhhh ... perhaps it has been a T1000 :lol:

I've created my own werewolf species for my novel Metamorphosis. They have no shifting capabilities but an anormous reconvalescence ability. They are even capable to rebuild lost limbs or lost eyes ears a.s.o, because they are living in a very violent biosphere. But heavy injuries of vital organs such as lungs, hearts, stomaches, brains and so on are absolutely deadly and a rebuild of them impossible.

But now back to the terrestrian werewolves:
As they are living a very violent life, fighting and hunting very hard, they should have, of course, raised self-healing capabilities. They should be able to regenerate limbs like fingers and toes. Perhaps they should even be able to rebuild eyes, too. But they almost have to be able to gegenerate lost teeth.

(Can anybody tell me the regulars of english punctuation, especial those for commas? I only know that they are quite different of the german regulars. Any help would be needful.)
Homo lupo lupus est.
Scisne, homo, quod lupum essendum profecto significat?
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

No. Simply because it's ridiculous.

Not even a rocket launcher could kill one... better grab my Melta-gun
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

Figarou wrote: It could...

1) fall off

2) get reabsorbed

3) still there but furless

It just depends on the story teller.
Ewwww, that'd kinda nasty either way. Reabsorbtion would have to be my favorite of the three.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I dont think they could grow back entire limbs or anything. Small things like finger, toes, ripped ears, chunks of flesh that got bitten off( :P ) that seems more possable to me. Not so sure about the tail issue. If someone stuck there tail in a shredder machine, would the next time they shift have a missing tail tip? Maybe it would grow back slowly over time. Confusing :?

Falling off tails? Ewww :P The retaining of a naked tail in human form sounds kindof interesting though....
For Freeborn, reabsorbing tails should be the way to go :wink:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

reabsorbtion is always the one everybody likes. :D

Hmmm....It makes me wonder if we'll see the tail get reabsorbed on the big screen. Probably not.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:reabsorbtion is always the one everybody likes. :D

Hmmm....It makes me wonder if we'll see the tail get reabsorbed on the big screen. Probably not.
That's because having the tail fall off is weird and gross.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
Figarou wrote:reabsorbtion is always the one everybody likes. :D

That's because having the tail fall off is weird and gross.

weird and gross? In case you didn't know, it actually happens in the animal world.

http://www.discover.com/issues/may-05/rd/ask-discover/
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:weird and gross? In case you didn't know, it actually happens in the animal world.

Yes, I know about that. But that's something different though. The tail is dropped as a defense mechanism.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
Figarou wrote:weird and gross? In case you didn't know, it actually happens in the animal world.

Yes, I know about that. But that's something different though. The tail is dropped as a defense mechanism.

Correctamundo!!! Here is your prize!! :wetwolf4:

:jester:

I'm not saying I prefer the tail falling off. I'm just saying its an option with the story teller. One option that'll never get used. :roll:
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I gonna scream verry loud when I see regeneration in Freeborn.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Morkulv wrote:I gonna scream verry loud when I see regeneration in Freeborn.

And everyone else will go..."Shhhhhhhh!"

:lol:
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

Lupin wrote:

Not in mammals though, right? As I understand it is only reptiles that are able to do that.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Akela wrote: Not in mammals though, right? As I understand it is only reptiles that are able to do that.
Yep. Just reptiles. Mammals scar.
Curan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wor'Kai

Post by Curan »

Akela wrote:Not in mammals though, right? As I understand it is only reptiles that are able to do that.
Not only reptiles have this ability. So cuttle-fishes have it though, too. :crazy: :read:
Homo lupo lupus est.
Scisne, homo, quod lupum essendum profecto significat?
Greylan
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Wandering Werewolf
Mood: Meh...

Post by Greylan »

Never really thought of that. Always figured thered be a slightly advanced healing factor or something to heal inflicted wounds but not missing bodyparts.
[hr]Mysite | DA
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

As far as freeborn werewolves go, I'm in favor of accelerated healing, and limited regeneration. No entire limbs. As for a man-made werewolf, I'd have to go with full regenerative powers, It'll grow back, but it'll take a while. I would have been against regeneration for this type of werewolf too, untill I saw the mouse thing. :)
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

Figarou wrote:

Ooooo....good stuff.

The only part of the werewolf that confuses me is the tail. There can be several different methods of what the tail can do when shifting back to a human.

It could...

1) fall off

2) get reabsorbed

3) still there but furless

It just depends on the story teller.
Actually, I've had problems understanding why the tail is considered so problematic, or such a big exception, in the minds of most other people. For one thing, all its little bits are present (but vestigal) in human form. So it is not the regrowing of a whole new tail, but just a more extreme version of whatever process changes every other part of the body. After all, humans have extremely vestigal (read "nearly flat") muzzles too, so there we are also talking about a structure that is barely there assuming a form many times its present size (with, in a biological scenario, most of the mass shipped in from elsewhere in the body and then deported again). Yet, I have not heard people having a big problem with muzzles, or suggesting that they fall off and regrow. I think of vestigal structures that vastly change size sort of like balloons that inflate or deflate- something is coming in from elsewhere and bulking them up during the transformation process, or something is departing, in a general transformation process that must be happening similarly all over the body. Bringing in much more stuff shouldn't cause the whole process, whatever it is, to shut down or behave weirdly. But cut off the balloon, and it doesn't inflate the next time, because it isn't there.
I hope this clarifies the way I visualize this matter.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

*Eerrm* Nothing should "fall off" that's just disgusting and completely unrealistic... not that werewolves are realistic in the first place.
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Akela wrote:No. Simply because it's ridiculous.

I don't think even the most vehement regeneration advocates would support that. Where's the fun if they're invulnerable?
Akela wrote:Not in mammals though, right? As I understand it is only reptiles that are able to do that.
Search the forums for "mice", and get back to me.
Sanity is relative.
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

Ralith Lupus wrote:

I don't think even the most vehement regeneration advocates would support that. Where's the fun if they're invulnerable?
There's plenty of fun to be had, drop him in a deep hole and keep blowing him up with grenades or something. The pain would be excrutiating.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Jamie wrote: Actually, I've had problems understanding why the tail is considered so problematic, or such a big exception, in the minds of most other people. For one thing, all its little bits are present (but vestigal) in human form. So it is not the regrowing of a whole new tail, but just a more extreme version of whatever process changes every other part of the body. After all, humans have extremely vestigal (read "nearly flat") muzzles too, so there we are also talking about a structure that is barely there assuming a form many times its present size (with, in a biological scenario, most of the mass shipped in from elsewhere in the body and then deported again). Yet, I have not heard people having a big problem with muzzles, or suggesting that they fall off and regrow. I think of vestigal structures that vastly change size sort of like balloons that inflate or deflate- something is coming in from elsewhere and bulking them up during the transformation process, or something is departing, in a general transformation process that must be happening similarly all over the body. Bringing in much more stuff shouldn't cause the whole process, whatever it is, to shut down or behave weirdly. But cut off the balloon, and it doesn't inflate the next time, because it isn't there.
I hope this clarifies the way I visualize this matter.
Very good points.

I've never really thought about it much before, but I think that you are right about the tail being no more or less strange or dificult to explain than the Muzzle...which no-one seems to have any issues with.

Your choice to use inflting balloons as an example felt a little off to me, but I think I understand what you meant.

It's about the same reason why I said that I think the tail could grow back IF the base virtibre were not damaged. (the ones that are fused together and curled inward on a human, AKA the "tailbone") So long as there is something there to expand upon, it CAN. However, if there is nothing there...shifting will not change that. It will still be gone.

When a shift occurs, the body tells the bones to extend, grow and seperate. If those bones are forcefully removed, however, then there is nothing there to recieve that command and so nothing happens.

(I'm just trying to paraphrase what I think you were trying to say, to see if I understand what you meant. Does that sound about right?)
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Ralith Lupus wrote:

Search the forums for "mice", and get back to me.
I think Akela was referring to the ability to intentionally let it's tail fall off for defensive purposes. No mammals will let their tails get bitten off on purpose.
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

You are correct, I'm too lazy to search for the "mice" topic but I know mice can do no such thing.
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

I was referring to the oft-linked regenerative mice; as a breif summary, they were bred, by accident, to be able to regenerate almost anything. Tested examples range from the entirety of the tail to even a bit of the heart.
Akela wrote:There's plenty of fun to be had, drop him in a deep hole and keep blowing him up with grenades or something. The pain would be excrutiating.
But it'd get dulled over time. Plus, by fun, I meant potential for a good story. If there's no way to risk yer life, it's hard to build up tension. Well, I'd have trouble doing it, at least. Not that I'm much of a writer. You get the idea.
Sanity is relative.