foamy the squirrel

The place for anything at all...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Hamster wrote:Wow, I like how you guys seem to think you are putting me into my place by making it seem like I have a so called "Invader Zim Fixation". :roll:

What I MEAN is that I don't like it when people steal someone else's style. In my eyes, though no matter how original the cartoon is, when I see that the art is similar to someone else, it is kinda hard to watch it. I don't just mean Jhonen Vasquez, I mean others too. Sure, I see, those people just like how they draw and whould like to be just like him but I just think they are not being creative. That is one reason why I don't like anime. They all look the same to me.

[spoiler]I'm sure there will be someone arguing with me because they don't like my opinion.[/spoiler] :roll:
Good point, but here's the problem: With 100 years of cartoon history, 25 channels of nothing but toons and Jupiter only knows how many websites out there, how can one truly assure that their style is original?
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

Truly, just how many original cartoons are out there? Not many I can assure you that.

What I mean by an Invader Zim fixation is that some people just find it fascinating and I haven't the faintest why, I know several people like that. I didn't really see what set it so far apart from any other cartoon. Ger was pretty cool though.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Akela wrote:What I mean by an Invader Zim fixation is that some people just find it fascinating and I haven't the faintest why, I know several people like that. I didn't really see what set it so far apart from any other cartoon. Ger was pretty cool though.
*nods* Exactly. And I've noticed the same thing -- it's like nineteen out of twenty people never heard of Invader Zim, and the remaining one is obsessed with it. :P

And this isn't the first time I've heard somebody accuse another program accused of stealing Invader Zim's style either. In fact, apart from the Pokemon / Digimon feud and the American Dragon / Juniper Lee discussion, Invader Zim is the only program I've ever heard accused of being copied in the last ten years.

And I've seen Zim before too and it wasn't all that special. . . So I just don't get it! :crazy:
Hamster
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hamster »

Terastas wrote:
Akela wrote:What I mean by an Invader Zim fixation is that some people just find it fascinating and I haven't the faintest why, I know several people like that. I didn't really see what set it so far apart from any other cartoon. Ger was pretty cool though.
*nods* Exactly. And I've noticed the same thing -- it's like nineteen out of twenty people never heard of Invader Zim, and the remaining one is obsessed with it. :P

And this isn't the first time I've heard somebody accuse another program accused of stealing Invader Zim's style either. In fact, apart from the Pokemon / Digimon feud and the American Dragon / Juniper Lee discussion, Invader Zim is the only program I've ever heard accused of being copied in the last ten years.

And I've seen Zim before too and it wasn't all that special. . . So I just don't get it! :crazy:

Hmm, I think it was the style that turned alot of geeks to it. It was a mix of anime and american cartooning and I guess the mindless fangirl and fanboys thought it was cool. I myself kinda like the darkness of the cartoon but that's about it.....Ok, I admit I liked Gir too. I don't see why there are people who draw Zim 24-7 and draw their character in that style. Gets on my nerves really. :|
Meh Dev account: http://kileyhannan.deviantart.com/

"Life... It's drawing without an eraser..."
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Its funny sometimes.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

*shrugs* I don't think it was the artist's intention to copy Zim, at least as far as Foamy the Squirrel is concerned. I think he just chose that particular style because it's easy to animate. That would explain why the most vocal characters are the three squirrels (because the "no mouth" look works for them), and why they almost always have something obscuring all but their heads and hands. :P
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I'd have to agree with Terastas. It was an easy style to animate. If you'll notice, when human characters appear, their lips don't move right at all. Whenever Germaine is talking, her lip movements are basically looped.

I don't really care if an animator imitates someone else's style that much. It never bothered me. After all, if every single animator had been totally original, we'd have some really f*** up animations in our cartoons by now.

Also, I think that for the creators of Foamy's purposes, the style of animation was secondary to the message delivered. In a significant portion of the toons, Foamy actually gives some kind of positive message. Granted, it's generally laced with profanity, but the message is still there.

Anyhow, those are just my two cents. I like Foamy a lot!
Hamster
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hamster »

True true.

Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Professional Air Guitarist

Post by Black Shuck »

The style kinda reminds me of Saladfingers, but I could see Ivader Zim there too. Foamy is so cool 8)
Image<-- Don't Do Crack (character from South Park)
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

Salad Fingers... don't remind me LOL

I didn't get the last one where one Salad Fingers was eating the other Salad Finger's head.

"The feel of rust is almost orgasmic" :lol:
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Black Shuck »

There's a new one? Gah! Gotta go check fat-pie now, lol.

"I like it when the red water comes out..." :lol:
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

Yeah, it's Sald Fingers 6, I didn't get it, something about a friend returning from war and this wierd toilet thing, I should watch it again.
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Black Shuck »

Nahaha! I found it! :D Now to experiance the strangness of it! :lol:

OMG! That was f'ed up!
Last edited by Black Shuck on Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Arou? ??
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

:shudder: salad fingers just plains scares me, and the fixation with rusty objects. :shudder:
THE GAME

My Armory
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

*Googling 'salad fingers'*
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Black Shuck »

You probably found it by now, but for the rest of you that wish to partake in the insaneness that is Saladfingers: www.fat-pie.com/flash.htm

I suggest watching them in order, from 1 to 6 if you can actually make that far :lol: They are Spoons, Friends, Nettles, Cage, Picnic, and Present. Enjoy! :crazy:

"Do you not like my mouth words Mr. Fingers?" :lol:
Hamster
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hamster »

I love Salad Fingers. I love David Firth's flash cartoons period. :D

Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Black Shuck »

Saladfingers is awesome once your disturbed by it anymore, lol.
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

I got over being disturbed after watching the first one a few times over then I found it hilarious.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

mmmm.....I think I'm still in the disturbed phase....I suppose I'll have to watch them again.
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Black Shuck »

Give it a while. It'll start on you :lol:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Black Shuck wrote:You probably found it by now, but for the rest of you that wish to partake in the insaneness that is Saladfingers: www.fat-pie.com/flash.htm
:?
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

Terastas wrote:
Black Shuck wrote:You probably found it by now, but for the rest of you that wish to partake in the insaneness that is Saladfingers: www.fat-pie.com/flash.htm
:?
I was just watching Episode 2 again, that's my favorite.

"I like it when the red water comes out..."

"OOo... Hubert Cumberdale, you taste like soot and poo"
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I really like the way he talks. Something about it, I just like it.