Minority pet peeves

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

"Space Mange Virus Warriors"?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

Excelsia wrote:
Ralith Lupus wrote:I'll be the first to admit that likely as not it's purely mental, but when you get down to it, does that really matter?
It doesn't matter to me at all...until they start calling themselves were-anythings. To me, a wolf therian calling themselves a werewolf is almost like a sacrilege and blaspheme to werewolves. I know that makes no sense, since werewolves don't exist, but I've always been very strongly attached to them (and all were-canines in general) so when someone who isn't one calls themselves one, that really, really bothers me. (Yeah, I'm weird, I know).
And then, there is the oft-quoted saying that therians are much like cross-dressers who really feel as if they are truly women on the inside, though they are not on the outside. Some people get really upset if such people call themselves women, while others think that not allowing such people to call themselves women amounts to a form of discrimination much like gay-bashing.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

Not such a good analogy. I don't dress or go around pretending like I'm a wolf all the time :(
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet

Post by Scott Gardener »

On other titles for "werewolf":

I can see werewolves not wanting to call themselves "werewolves," because it conjures up certain images. If werewolves were revealed to the public, some might insist on alternate names, like "wolf therians," or "persons with lycanthropy." But, others might point out that there would be bigger issues to face, such as issues of segregation. Still others might embrace the word, including the testosterone-driven teenage guys who would like the shock value.

On other titles for Lycanthrope:

You're quite right that I can do better. I'm working on it. But, I'll also accept suggestions.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

:lol: i'd love to see what kind of political speek comes out of lycanthropy...
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Another pet peeve of mine when it comes to werewolves...
Immortality.
Why?
And another one...
When Dracula is thrown into the plot...
Why?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Jamie wrote:
Excelsia wrote:
Ralith Lupus wrote:I'll be the first to admit that likely as not it's purely mental, but when you get down to it, does that really matter?
It doesn't matter to me at all...until they start calling themselves were-anythings. To me, a wolf therian calling themselves a werewolf is almost like a sacrilege and blaspheme to werewolves. I know that makes no sense, since werewolves don't exist, but I've always been very strongly attached to them (and all were-canines in general) so when someone who isn't one calls themselves one, that really, really bothers me. (Yeah, I'm weird, I know).
And then, there is the oft-quoted saying that therians are much like cross-dressers who really feel as if they are truly women on the inside, though they are not on the outside. Some people get really upset if such people call themselves women, while others think that not allowing such people to call themselves women amounts to a form of discrimination much like gay-bashing.
To such a person, I would say that it doesn't matter how you feel. What matters is what you are. I'm sorry that you aren't happy with it, but you can't change it by wanting it desperately. But, that's just me. Maybe I'm a little heartless, but to me, a normal human calling themself a werewolf is a little heartless too. I would LLOOOOVEEE to be a werewolf. But, that doesn't mean I am one. If I wanted to be a major-league baseball player with all my heart, and a bunch of random people started calling themselves major-league baseball players just because they wished they were, that would be a little rude to me. They don't want it any more than I do, but at least I have the restraint to not call myself something I'm not. I don't know if that made sense coming from a keyboard, but it makes sense in my head.

Yeah I know, I'm a weird kid. It shouldn't bother me that much, but it does. Always has (and, until werewolves are actually discovered, or until therians quit calling themselves that, probably always will). Sorry if I'm offending anyone here, I'm not trying to.

Scott Gardener wrote:On other titles for "werewolf":

I can see werewolves not wanting to call themselves "werewolves," because it conjures up certain images. If werewolves were revealed to the public, some might insist on alternate names, like "wolf therians," or "persons with lycanthropy." But, others might point out that there would be bigger issues to face, such as issues of segregation. Still others might embrace the word, including the testosterone-driven teenage guys who would like the shock value.

?? When did anyone mention coming up with alternate titles for werewolves?
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Who knows. Still an interesting point, though.

@Excelsia: (whee, I have to copy and paste your name to make sure I don't misspell it) Again, that makes perfect sense, and I agree wholeheartedly. Good analogies.
Sanity is relative.
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

It's hard to see how someone could be confused by that, at least it makes complete sense to me.
Excelsia wrote:When did anyone mention coming up with alternate titles for werewolves?
Just now.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Ralith Lupus: If you're using quick reply, click on their name and it gets put into the text box, like this
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Ah. Cool. I'm used to that being a profile link.
Sanity is relative.
wolfbound
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: thats right. I am a booze hound

Post by wolfbound »

stupud people. they just just have to wear signs.

:lol:
you never know just how you look through other peoples' eyes.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

my pet peeve: a werewolf's appetite change. Say you're an avid vegetable eater, and when you turn into a werewolf, you hate the taste of everything except raw meat.

It's become an annoyance for me because i think that having the digestive system of a human's and a wolf's conjoined together would make more sense to me. The sense of taste would IMO also meld together purely as preferrence. So if you're a werevulture, you'd be able to eat expired food without having a gruesome diarrhoea in human form... OH THE ENVY!!
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

kitetsu wrote:my pet peeve: a werewolf's appetite change. Say you're an avid vegetable eater, and when you turn into a werewolf, you hate the taste of everything except raw meat.
I certainly don't think that werewolves should have revulsion towards non-meat products, but I do think the desire for meat would be stronger.

In other words, a vegetarian who became a werewolf would find that maintaining their vegetarianism would be more difficult, but not impossible.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

I'm cookoo for Cocoa-Nut!

Post by Scott Gardener »

Ditto; dogs certainly enjoy the same foods that humans eat, and wolves I would expect likewise, given that they're genetically less than 100,000 years apart. Just avoid chocolate, garlic, and onion, and go easy on the coconut.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

kitetsu wrote:my pet peeve: a werewolf's appetite change. Say you're an avid vegetable eater, and when you turn into a werewolf, you hate the taste of everything except raw meat.

It's become an annoyance for me because i think that having the digestive system of a human's and a wolf's conjoined together would make more sense to me. The sense of taste would IMO also meld together purely as preferrence. So if you're a werevulture, you'd be able to eat expired food without having a gruesome diarrhoea in human form... OH THE ENVY!!
People seem to also forget that wolves can and do eat some plant matter, if only some fallen fruits, the stomach contents of deer, and or some grass for an upset stomach.
-Calculon
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Apokryltaros wrote:People seem to also forget that wolves can and do eat some plant matter, if only some fallen fruits, the stomach contents of deer, and or some grass for an upset stomach.
Wow. Guess wolves can make good doctors for themselves, eh? :p
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Apokryltaros wrote:People seem to also forget that wolves can and do eat some plant matter, if only some fallen fruits, the stomach contents of deer, and or some grass for an upset stomach.
And trees, wolves like to chew on tree branches.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image