Would you get a real tail?

The place for anything at all...
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

what about the gluttony guy from seven? :sickpup:
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Fenrir wrote:what about the gluttony guy from seven? :sickpup:
Image j/k :lol:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Hey you shouldn't be talking here :P
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

why you say that?
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

You spam more then I do 8)

how else would you have 2866+ quotes in here before me :?

-Satyricon
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

no not true, I just spend here more than you.
Image Image
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Couldn't graft it onto a human body anyway. You'd be up against some savage tissue rejection. The body's immune system would see a foreign protein (the wolf DNA) and go into uber-attack mode.
ImageImageImageImage
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

I thought we were discussing convincing the body to grow its own tail, not grafting a new one on?
Sanity is relative.
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

It would be plausable to have a tail grafted together from other parts of your body... only real difficulty would be how to hell to get the bone. [spoiler] This one guy lost his, erm... "junk", and had a new one (fully functional) grafted together from flesh off other parts of his body. [/spoiler]
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

*Shivers* thats creepy :shudder:
Image Image
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

*CAUTION* CREEPY AND NASTY POST

[spoiler] think thats wierd, he was unsatisfied with the first one, so he had a second one made. when they attached it, there was a chance the body wouldn't accept, so they had to leave the old one on until they were sure. so, for a period of time, he actually had two pieces of equipment. (though he did lose his wife.) [/spoiler]
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I wasnt on a need to know basis!! :o
Image Image
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

After my last Embryology lecture, I think it is possible to grow ourselves a tail.
I mean, if we can induce a chicken embryo to grow feathers in place of eyes, or graft limb buds onto random parts of the embryo's body, or induce a double-tipped wing, or grow a human ear on a mouse, it wouldn't be too hard to grow a tail on a human.
Though, the catch is that the procedure needs to be done while one is still an embryo, as the procedure involves grafting the "Apical Ectodermal Ridge" of the desired limb bud onto the developing embryo.
Nevermind.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

I've just been struck blind deaf and dumb by reading those posts

-Satyricon
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Fenrir wrote:I've just been struck blind deaf and dumb by reading those posts
Somebody grafted mouse flank embryonic tissue onto your corneas, too?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Apokryltaros wrote:Though, the catch is that the procedure needs to be done while one is still an embryo, as the procedure involves grafting the "Apical Ectodermal Ridge" of the desired limb bud onto the developing embryo.
This is why we're researching stem cells and regeneration, among other things. I think that embryo barrier won't last too long at all.
Sanity is relative.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Apokryltaros wrote:
ok blind, deaf, dumb, and now there's a taste of vomit in my mouth :sickpup:

-Satyricon
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Fenrir wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:
ok blind, deaf, dumb, and now there's a taste of vomit in my mouth :sickpup:
Why am I suddenly reminded of the "seduction" scene from Dodgeball?
-Calculon
lupinsmile
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: you got it!

Post by lupinsmile »

Dr. Joe Rosen has it all figuard out.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/stor ... 28,00.html
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Good article...

One thing they got wrong, at least from my personal perspective, is that everyone who would want a drastic body mod like that is mentally ill and screaming for attention. I wouldn't want a tail so I could be noticed — actually I'm pretty self-effacing and like to blend in the background. But I would like a tail — provided it functions and can move — for the expressive extras and also for balance.

I wouldn't want the wings, though. They sound ugly and are purely for decoration. Nnnnnnnah. :P
ImageImageImageImage
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Agreement on all points, vrikasatma. Although I still don't think I'd go for a tail without the rest of the package.
Sanity is relative.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

vrikasatma wrote:I wouldn't want the wings, though. They sound ugly and are purely for decoration. Nnnnnnnah. :P

Yeah, that just sounds weird. Plus, wings look pretty weird without any feathers, and somehow I doubt they have the ability to do that.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

It could be done with cloned tissue. Take a real close look at your skin: see the scale-like crisscross pattern? That's vestigial scales. Feathers are highly specialized and elongated scales and are made of the same material as your fingernails and eyelashes.

Unfortunately, it's not down to just wings and pinions. The biggest muscle on the bird is the pectorals: they need it to drive the wings. Can you imagine pecs as big or bigger than the gluteus maximii? That's how big you'd need to develop the pecs in order to drive the wings. Birds don't have hands, per se. Their feet have evolved into grasping structures (I'm visualizing the scene in Tim Burton's "Planet of the Apes" where the female chimp is writing in her diary — with her feet/paws!).

So, if I may be forgiven a slight topic drift — to get functional wings, we'd have to invert the human body system of extremities. The upper appendages would become the locomotors while the lower appendages would become the manipulators, which would be WEIRD :crazy:

Nothing on this planet — chordate, anyway — has evolved three pairs of limbs. There's no model to joint, suspend and power something like that, existent in nature. Insects are built on a slightly different template and on a completely different axis. Bees, sure — but they work on a slightly different muscular structure and require an exoskeleton to anchor it. Nothing with a spinal cord and endoskeleton has four legs and wings, not here anyway. We have to go to mythological creatures — gryphons, pegasi, angels, faeries, dragons, et al — before we find something with functional wings. And those are visual koans, not extant biological models.

Unfortunately...'twould be cooler than words to be a weregryphon...
ImageImageImageImage
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

oh, yes, definetly. I have to say, though ,that a tial owuld only be cool if it was a) prehensile, and b) was long enough, and c) if it got injured, would grow back properly, the way everythign else on your body does. however, winds are just pointless, there is no way any human will fly with biological wings with the materials we have- just no way. mechanics of flight and all that, we're too heavy and it takes fuel to carry fuel- muscles too lift weight have to lift themselves as well in flying animals. i owuld, really, only get a tial if they could give me the whole package, really.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Whole package — as in, full-body transformation?

I probably wouldn't go that far. People would think, "You got a tail? Cool!" or "Well, you don't see something like that everyday!" Benign reactions mostly. I'd be treated like an eccentric, which isn't a bad social existence. :)

But if I got totally transformed into a Wolf or whatever anthropomorph...Ahmm...well...everyone, and I mean *everyone* would back away slowly with shocked looks on their faces...and I'd never see any of them again. In short, ostracism. Being treated like an eccentric is one thing, shunning is another. One could go insane that way, and not the good insane, either.
ImageImageImageImage