Would you get a real tail?

The place for anything at all...
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Yes, it would scare most people away. But not everyone you know. First off, don't you know any of us, at least to some extent? Yes, such a major change would require a huge change in lifestyle, but I'd be perfectly happy with that. For one thing, I suspect I'd enjoy the new lifestyle more. Also, do you really want to be close to someone who can't accept you if you do something like that? Myself, given my arrogant opinion of most of humanity (pitifully ignorant/idiotic), I would find it rather flattering to be shunned by them. Tells me that I'm still doing things right. Admittedly I'd need at lesat a small group with whom I could interact; a group of people like those found here.

Also, being able to get the kind of reaction you describe would be quite fun, so long as you had a group of people like us who accepted you to go back to afterwards.
Sanity is relative.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I want pointed ears, a tail, horns, wings (only functional, though, which is never gonna happen), and maybe...if it's ever possible...digitigrade legs.

(as a side note, I don't want the kind of horns Enigma has. I want horns that are made of actual bone or coral to actually come up out of my head...not be covered with skin.)
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Excelsia wrote:I want pointed ears, a tail, horns, wings (only functional, though, which is never gonna happen), and maybe...if it's ever possible...digitigrade legs.

(as a side note, I don't want the kind of horns Enigma has. I want horns that are made of actual bone or coral to actually come up out of my head...not be covered with skin.)
You want wings it all depends on your hieght if you are say 6' tall you would need a seven foot wingspan i think but am not sure so big honkin wings
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Digitigrade legs is certainly more do-able than wings. In the former, all that's needed is a slight adjustment of the suspensory system (tendons, ligaments) and the rest is down to muscle development.

I know Enigma...he's a great guy. Winks everytime he makes eye contact with you. I got a picture of myself with him at Dante's in Portland last time Pigface came through. I'll dig around my photo CDs and see if I can scare it up...
Anyway, horns are doable, too. Horns are really compressed hair sheathes over a bony core, the core comes off the skull and the sheathes grow over it. There's no skin, it stops at the base of the horn cores and the compacted keratin grows up over it. You'd have to do it stylistically, like a hairstyle to keep exoderm integrity. I don't *think* the cores would grow, the body just accepts it as part of the rest of the skeleton and doesn't eradicate them. It's physiologically neutral for the most part, neither rejected nor promoted.

I should mention, horns do occur naturally in humans, there were several horned people in the various freak shows. There's some speculation that Moses might have had horns and that's how he was able to lead the tribes of Israel as easily as he did: they were reacting to him from a pre-monotheistic mindset. Nowadays, though, modern Western medical science goes, "Ooh, this baby popped out with natural horn cores, let's poll them so he doesn't have to suffer taunting and ostracism for the rest of his life." It's the same thing with the tailed baby born in Asia, it'd get cut off shortly after birth.
ImageImageImageImage
shey
Legendary
Legendary

Post by shey »

I woluld go with a wolf tail 8) and can they give you longer canied teeth that would be sweet :D
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

vrikasatma wrote: I should mention, horns do occur naturally in humans, there were several horned people in the various freak shows. There's some speculation that Moses might have had horns and that's how he was able to lead the tribes of Israel as easily as he did: they were reacting to him from a pre-monotheistic mindset.
Moses didn't have horns.
The Hebrew words for "(animal) horn" and "ray/nimbus of light" are the same, but have different meanings, much in the same way in English, "ray" can mean "a beam of light," "any flattened cartilaginous fish of the order Rajiformes" or "one of the Ghostbusters."
Moses having horns was an accident made when the Bible was being translated into Greek, like when "unicorn" accidently replaced "auroch."
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Fenrir wrote:
Excelsia wrote:I want pointed ears, a tail, horns, wings (only functional, though, which is never gonna happen), and maybe...if it's ever possible...digitigrade legs.

You want wings it all depends on your hieght if you are say 6' tall you would need a seven foot wingspan i think but am not sure so big honkin wings
The size wingspan that would be required for a human to be able to fly would probably be so big that, they probably wouldn't be able to move them. It's an unfortunate paradox. (which is why I'm in favor of a denser atmosphere).
vrikasatma wrote:Digitigrade legs is certainly more do-able than wings. In the former, all that's needed is a slight adjustment of the suspensory system (tendons, ligaments) and the rest is down to muscle development.

I know Enigma...he's a great guy. Winks everytime he makes eye contact with you. I got a picture of myself with him at Dante's in Portland last time Pigface came through. I'll dig around my photo CDs and see if I can scare it up...
Anyway, horns are doable, too. Horns are really compressed hair sheathes over a bony core, the core comes off the skull and the sheathes grow over it. There's no skin, it stops at the base of the horn cores and the compacted keratin grows up over it. You'd have to do it stylistically, like a hairstyle to keep exoderm integrity. I don't *think* the cores would grow, the body just accepts it as part of the rest of the skeleton and doesn't eradicate them. It's physiologically neutral for the most part, neither rejected nor promoted.

I should mention, horns do occur naturally in humans, there were several horned people in the various freak shows. There's some speculation that Moses might have had horns and that's how he was able to lead the tribes of Israel as easily as he did: they were reacting to him from a pre-monotheistic mindset. Nowadays, though, modern Western medical science goes, "Ooh, this baby popped out with natural horn cores, let's poll them so he doesn't have to suffer taunting and ostracism for the rest of his life." It's the same thing with the tailed baby born in Asia, it'd get cut off shortly after birth.
I think I'd want horns like this:

http://www.afrikantradersonline.com/Gra ... INCHES.jpg

Although smaller. And, instead of out, I'd rather have them curve backwards, over my head. Pretty close to my scalp, but not so close that I'd couldn't brush my hair. They could stop at maybe the back of my head.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

You want ibex horns, then :)
Or something like goat horns?
I once had a metis Werewolf character who had the "Horned" deformity. I used to say "She has impala horns" until I got sick of the car-related jokes, then I just said "Swept-back antelope horns."
ImageImageImageImage
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

vrikasatma wrote:You want ibex horns, then :)
Or something like goat horns?
I once had a metis Werewolf character who had the "Horned" deformity. I used to say "She has impala horns" until I got sick of the car-related jokes, then I just said "Swept-back antelope horns."
Yeah...something like that. I like horns that are as elegant as they are dangerous. Though, my horns probably wouldn't be dangerous, because of the position they'd be in. I guess I could ram people... :lol:
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Or back-hook 'em. Dash past and swing backwards.
ImageImageImageImage
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

You know guys, personally, I'd prefer having a rabbit's tail. It's cute, the girls would love it, and it wouldn't be as difficult to sit in most chairs.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

a rabbits tail.... ok... would you get the ears with that too?
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Only if I got the snout and fur to go with it. Knowing today's culture, I'd be shunned pritty bad I'm sure.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Kaebora wrote:You know guys, personally, I'd prefer having a rabbit's tail. It's cute, the girls would love it, and it wouldn't be as difficult to sit in most chairs.
Bunny!! Image

...what?... I like bunnies.

*cough* Image

Oddly...some days I've thought it would be cool to have a Rooster tail. (I think I got the idea when I learned I was born in the year of the rooster.) ...but then...I AM very "odd".
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

what about one of those scorpion stingers?
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Timber-WoIf wrote:what about one of those scorpion stingers?
It's hard enough to graft tissue from one species to another species, from (biological) class to class, in that, it is possible to graft mouse tissue into a chicken embryo and induce it to grow teeth, but it is currently impossible to graft scorpion tissue to a vertebrate in the hopes of growing a tail with a stinger.
It might be possible to pick and choose among vertebrates and build your own chimeric stinger-tail, like grafting embryonic tissue that will develop into snake fang or platypus spur, along with more tissue to grow a venom gland into the tail of an embryo...
But, given as how, yesterday in Embryology lab, we went through 60 eggs to get 14 whole egg cultures, of which only 8 have survived to today, something tells me that such a project would have an even more abyssmal success rate.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
chezarawolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by chezarawolf »

God, I would Freakin LOVE a tail!!!! :howl:  :oo I have a fox tail that I attach to my
jeans with a key chain ring. Although it is real, it isn't as good as having one that is actually attached to my body....
Hark
Hear the howl that eats the moon alive
Your fur is on fire, the smoke turns the sky raven black
And the world upon you back will crack
wolfbound
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: thats right. I am a booze hound

Post by wolfbound »

well kind'a...

you never know just how you look through other peoples' eyes.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

wolfbound wrote:well kind'a...

Velcro?
-Calculon
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:
wolfbound wrote:well kind'a...

Velcro?
Hmm..looks like the flat part fits in the back pocket.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Then wouldn't it be crooked?
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Almost certainly.
Sanity is relative.
Nishah
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Infuriae

Post by Nishah »

Hmmmm.... a nice long prehensile rat's tail... Or a furry one if the rest of me goes furry too.... :D
wolfbound
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: thats right. I am a booze hound

Post by wolfbound »

:lol: . i had to edit it. but i it looks like a back pocket. :lol:
you never know just how you look through other peoples' eyes.
chezarawolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by chezarawolf »

Hey! That's a silver fox's tail isn't it? It looks just like mine. Cool! :o
Hark
Hear the howl that eats the moon alive
Your fur is on fire, the smoke turns the sky raven black
And the world upon you back will crack