philosophical mathamatical mind-fuck!

The place for anything at all...
celtwolf
Legendary
Legendary

philosophical mathamatical mind-fuck!

Post by celtwolf »

try saying that three times fast!
anyway, i was wandering some of my favorite webcomics and clicked a rather interesting banner. it brought me to the domain of the URL i'm about to post. i clicked on 2+2 and , voila! instant mathematical mind-f***!
i thought some of the more intelectual people around here might like to check this out.
http://www.disenchanted.com/dis/technol ... actor.html

anyway, following the theories in here, if such a computer was created, wouldn't it be concievable that one of the input combinations could lead to werewolves existance in the universe, or perhapse even the very script of the movie all of us are helping with become a viable and tangible reality?
amongs the other weird stuff in there, this came to my mind.
thought i'd share it!

~Celtwolf
i'm just stating what i know and what i think, if you don't like it, you can leave me alone.

i am the well-read werewolf
:read:
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Yeah, but they would exist in the universe in the computer, and not out here.

Chew on this for a while: If the universe is infinite, and werewolves aren't physically impossible, then they already exist somewhere.

Along the same lines, if the universe is infinite, there's a place where Freeborn has already come out, and the DVD is on sale.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:Yeah, but they would exist in the universe in the computer, and not out here.

Chew on this for a while: If the universe is infinite, and werewolves aren't physically impossible, then they already exist somewhere.
IF

We can't answer that right now. If we can, we have to go out there and measure it. And how long would that take?

Same goes for "Is life other than our own out there.?" How is that going to be answered? Us going to them? Or they coming to us? Or sure...maybe they are already here. :roll:

As for werewolves exsisting somewhere, the only place I can think of right now is in the mind.
Lupin wrote:Along the same lines, if the universe is infinite, there's a place where Freeborn has already come out, and the DVD is on sale.
That place is called....the future. Right here on this very planet. :dvd:
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:
Lupin wrote:Yeah, but they would exist in the universe in the computer, and not out here.

IF

We can't answer that right now. If we can, we have to go out there and measure it. And how long would that take?
No. We wouldn't have to directly measure it. We would have to figure out if the universe is open or closed. (No jokes about that, please) If it's open, then it'll expand forever, and is infinite. And if it's closed, it isn't.
Nishah
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Infuriae

Post by Nishah »

Lupin wrote:Along the same lines, if the universe is infinite, there's a place where Freeborn has already come out, and the DVD is on sale.
I disagree... in my opinion you're confusing "alternate reality" with "infinite universe"...
For "Freeborn" to be released, put on dvd and sold on a different planet, that planet should have attainded the identical make-up of this planet to assure that the conditions for this happening where there (material, cultural and idiological)...
That would mean that "humanity" exists on a different earth... has evolved in exactly the same way with exactly the same cultures...
This I fear is beyond the theory of the "infinite universe"...

You can on the other hand easily state "there's life out there" 'cause the amount of worlds... one of them should have sprouted life (it did here and if you look at the rule of "where there's one...") It does not have to be life as we would define it, but i'm convinced there is...(hopefully not little grey men in flying bedpans...)
Sister of Wolves, seek your compagnions
You hear the call of the wild,
I summon your instincts
- Hagalaz Runedance/wake skadi
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Nishah wrote:
I disagree... in my opinion you're confusing "alternate reality" with "infinite universe"...
For "Freeborn" to be released, put on dvd and sold on a different planet, that planet should have attainded the identical make-up of this planet to assure that the conditions for this happening where there (material, cultural and idiological)...
That would mean that "humanity" exists on a different earth... has evolved in exactly the same way with exactly the same cultures...
This I fear is beyond the theory of the "infinite universe"...
Actually it's really just the infinite monkey theorem. Kolmogorov's zero-one law stats that "An infinite series of independent events must have a probability of zero or one." The mere fact that it has a chance of ocurring, means that given an infinite amount of time, or space it will occour.
Nishah
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Infuriae

Post by Nishah »

hmmmm... the "monkeys will write a book theory" right ?

indeed... I stand corrected... score for lupin :) hadn't thought of that...
Sister of Wolves, seek your compagnions
You hear the call of the wild,
I summon your instincts
- Hagalaz Runedance/wake skadi
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
Actually it's really just the infinite monkey theorem. Kolmogorov's zero-one law stats that "An infinite series of independent events must have a probability of zero or one." The mere fact that it has a chance of ocurring, means that given an infinite amount of time, or space it will occour.

So.....whats not real here...can be real somewhere else?

Or has already happened?
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Nishah wrote:hmmmm... the "monkeys will write a book theory" right ?

indeed... I stand corrected... score for lupin :) hadn't thought of that...
That's the one. Given an infinite amount of time, a finite amount of monkeys banging at typewriters will eventually produce the works of $WRITER. (They would actually produce it infinitely many times, which is really a waste of paper.)
Figarou wrote:So.....whats not real here...can be real somewhere else?

Or has already happened?
If there's a possiblty of it happening, an an infinite number of attemps. Of course if it's outside of your light cone, you'd never know if it happended or not.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
If there's a possiblty of it happening, an an infinite number of attemps. Of course if it's outside of your light cone, you'd never know if it happended or not.

Well, that means you was hit by duckies and you didn't even know it. :grinp:
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Not me, just someone whos like me in every way, but they got hit by more duckies :P
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:Not me, just someone whos like me in every way, but they got hit by more duckies :P

Someone who you looks like you, thinks like you, acts like you, but its not you?

Ok...I get it.

NOT. :P
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

Like the alternate universe theory, that there is an infinite number of universes- for every minute variation possible, there is a universe where it goes one way and a whole other universe where it goes the other? Same basic idea, infinite time or space.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:Someone who you looks like you, thinks like you, acts like you, but its not you?

Looks like me, acts like me, thinks but isn't me because they got hit by more duckies.

Shaun wrote:Like the alternate universe theory, that there is an infinite number of universes- for every minute variation possible, there is a universe where it goes one way and a whole other universe where it goes the other? Same basic idea, infinite time or space.
Same thing but it's infinite areas in this universe (The whole thing, not the finite part we see.)
geekboy1500
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lover of Life

Post by geekboy1500 »

chew on this if there is an infinate amount of space in the universe and only a finite # of worlds and within those there is only a finite number of Inhabited worlds, then the population of the universe is 0 (infinity devided by a # is next to naught)
The Think Geek Annoy-o-Tron, insanity in convenient attractive box.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

*Gets throbbing headache from math mumbo jumbo*

I hate math!! I'll take the left side of my brain and get the hell out of here!!
THE GAME

My Armory
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

:?
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself
Mood: Meh...

Post by lupine »

Yeah but if space is endless, there must be an infinite number of worlds. If it ends whats beyond it??
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

The refrigerator door. :wink:
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Where's the wish faeries, then?

Post by Scott Gardener »

If something is possible and the universe is infinite, the probabilility of something's existance approaches 100% certainty, then that provides some interesting ramifications.

First, why hasn't a wish faerie approached me with a bite-happy werewolf, a copy of the Freeborn DVD, and a bag of something essentially identical to four million bucks cash?

It's imaginable that the DVD can exist, and we've talked to death the prospect of werewolves. We know money exists. The wish faerie can be explained as follows...

Suppose there's a means of teleporting. Bit of a stretch, but we've read about quantum theories that postulate it. Remember, if it's even remotely conceivably possible, according to the theory, it's real somewhere.

Then, suppose there's a group of beings who are notoriously altruistic, who use their teleportation technology to go to people and grant wishes. They come up with a particular personality profile and scan the cosmos for individuals fitting that profile, teleport to them, and give out freebies.

Given a big enough cosmos, there should be a wish faerie group out there for every conceivable wish.

Therefore, the fact that my and in fact everyone else's wishes remain unfulfilled means there's a wrench in the works somewhere between infinite universes, quantum teleportation, and the mathematical assumptions about infinity.

But, before one dismisses the poor man's Vlk'rin Crossover Theory completely, however, one must remember that one can imagine all kinds of unfulfilled wishes out there, too. The probability approaches zero that wish faeries could reach everyone in the universe, no matter how clever they are about viral assimilation strategies to conquer the universe first.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

:o :scream: :eyeroll3:

I LOVE this stuff. I sent my mate the link. Hes a computer geek and a big fan of math and he tells me all the time that numbers make up everything.

I have nothing to say on the actual topic. My mind continues to be confused and blown and all I can do it sit in silence and try to take it all in.

Good link!

My head hurts...
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

MATH IS EVIL......... :x
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

No MATH is not EVIL....the teacher who teaches math is the EVIL one :D
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I stink at math. Its not my cup of tea. I can get the hang of every other subject but math.

....and part of speech.(advance ones)
Last edited by Shadow Wulf on Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

:o GOOD POINT :o TEACHERS WHO TEACH MATH ARE EVIL :P