Wrist pads

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Should the gestalt form have a pad on the wrists?

Yes
43%
No
18%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
20%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
10%
4 - I like werewolves a lot but wouldn’t want to become one
8%

Total votes: 49

Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Reilune wrote:
Kiba wrote:That WOULD be an interesting "sign" of being a werewolf...maybe having a slight bulge/mark there even as a human. :wink:
It's an idea, but if you go the opposite way you could tell the difference between a real wolf and a werewolf in wolf form from the lack of a pad.
Ehhh...I've spotted a problem with this already. Either way, lack of a pad in full wolf form or a small bulge in human form, it would be a dead giveaway to a hunter. The lesser of the two evils would be the lack of one in wolf form since it's not likely that someone would get a good enough view of the "wrist" to see if its there or not.
Scott Gardener wrote:Another nice thing about it is that it's strictly a wolf feature, not a super-enhanced feature. It doesn't do anything except look lupine.
But didn't Goldenwolf herself say in that paw tutorial that the wrist pad often goes unnoticed and gets left out of alot of people's art? How does it add to the effect of lupine-ness if people aren't gonna even know if it's there or not?
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

Maybe a slightly smaller pad one that almost unnoticable. Maybe a dark patch on the underside of the wrist in human form. Maybe something wich looks like a scar which are normally lighter then the skin around them... I think absense of the pad in Gestalt or Wolf form could lead to complications in its life. And since are to be wanting this werewolf to be as accuratly done in the way we see it, Why shouldn't we have a pad. on the wrist of the werewolf?
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

23Jarden wrote:I think absense of the pad in Gestalt or Wolf form could lead to complications in its life.
How do you figure that? And, this is just for the gestalt, I don't care whether it's on the full wolf form or not.
And since are to be wanting this werewolf to be as accuratly done in the way we see it, Why shouldn't we have a pad. on the wrist of the werewolf?
Gestalt, n.
The form of a werewolf in between human and full wolf.

In other words the human-to-wolf ratio in this form can vary. A werewolf lacking a wrist pad would lean more towards human in this instance since humans don't have one.

Meaning I just don't see any reason why they should. It would be completely useless for a bipedal creature, considering it aids in stopping for quadrupedal movement. And even then it's not used much.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Reilune wrote:Meaning I just don't see any reason why they should. It would be completely useless for a bipedal creature, considering it aids in stopping for quadrupedal movement. And even then it's not used much.
Yeah, but it's a commonly held theory around here that a gestalt werewolf should be able to move both bipedally and quadrupedally, though there might be a bit of shifting involved.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Wouldnt that make it too wolfish, I mean these Gestalt are suppose to have some human features too it, I want to see enough human feature on a gestalt to tell people that its a werewolf, not a fantasy wolf that can walk on two legs.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Ultraken
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ultraken »

The wrist pad is a nice little detail that doesn't hurt to have. It can look a bit odd, but it makes sense for it to be there. Wolves have them, so half-wolves should have at least something like it. Somewhat paw-like hands work better with them.

The way I figure things, gestalt form isn't a linear interpolation between human and wolf, but a nonlinear mixture combining the best features of each. To a rough approximation, it keeps human intelligence, upper body shape, articulated hands, and opposable thumbs, then adds wolf strength (muscle), speed (legs), toughness (skin, fur), senses (eyes, ears, nose), and natural weapons (teeth, claws). The wrist pads come along with the "wolf skin" wrapped around the semi-human form.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

still yet theres hardly any human characteristics, the human genes should still show a little more.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Ultraken
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ultraken »

The gestalt-form hand has a wolf-paw surface, but a human-hand structure. Opposable thumb and dextrous digits are definitely human characteristics. :D
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

But also I want werewolves to vary more. Not all werewolfs are gonna have wrist pads cause some peoples genes are stronger than others. Some people will just have sharp claws like in the howling while other will have claws like in goldenwolf, some will have duel claws while others dont, some will have hair all around them while others wont have hair all around them. I just think it will be more fun and interesting if there was much more variety, like finding a new discovery it will be very interesting to see some werewolves look alot different in one place than you normally see another.
Image Image
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Personally I'd prefer to have all the werewolves in the same story look consistant. Mix and match werewolves without some sort of explination just seems wrong to me.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Furya
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dirty little f***
Location: Talking to myself. It's the first sign of insanity.

Post by Furya »

Vilkacis wrote:This thing?

(Stolen from Goldenwolf)

Personally, I don't mind either way, so long as it doesn't stand out too much. Mostly an aesthetic concern, as I see it.

-- Vilkacis

that's awesome!
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:Personally I'd prefer to have all the werewolves in the same story look consistant. Mix and match werewolves without some sort of explination just seems wrong to me.
Well, that would make sence if they all came from the same family.

If werewolves came from different parts of the world, then they won't look "consistant."
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Lupin wrote:Personally I'd prefer to have all the werewolves in the same story look consistant. Mix and match werewolves without some sort of explination just seems wrong to me.
Given Lycanthropy's viral-like nature (regardless of whether it is actually a "Virus" or not), I would think that the microbial symbiotic contagion that is hosted in the bloodstream of a werewolf, and it's naturally accelerated lyfecycle (able to "infect" and drastically alter a biological body in an extrordinarily short period of time, as well as accelerate it's host's natural motabolism to allow "shifting" to occur in mere minutes or Seconds time) would be higly succeptable to natural "Mutation" (a process that occurs in all biological creatures...but increasingly so, the smaller said creatures are, peaking at Microbes, single-cell organisms, and Viruses).

This natural, and logical tendency for mutation would result in a great variety within the werewolf population, with features like albinoism and furlessness in gestalt form being uncommon, but not unheard of, and varying potency on the hosts...making some appear to almost be "lesser" werewolves, despite actually having full-set lycanthropy...fully capable of spawning bigger, harrier and more powerful werewolves from their bite, or in their offspring. ...or, in some extremely rare cases, a temporary mutation may make someone appear to be a "dormant" werewolf, without the capacity to shift, while still leaving them fully contagious carriers.

I also think that people with existing conditions that have significant effect upon normal biological processes might have varying results from contracting Lycanthropy. ...from hormone and/or other chemical imbalances that disallow the sybiosis to occur (Lycantropic Immunity), to weakened natural immune systems that offer no resistance at all, allowing the aggresive "infection" to overtake their biology too quickly, destroying it in the process and killing the host long before the regenerative qualities of Lycanthopy even come into effect.

Therefore, I wouldn't find it strange at all (taking all of this into consideration) that one werewolf might have something like a Wrist Pad in Gestalt form, while another (while still having the coding for it buried in thier symbiotic genetic code) would not.

It's just like Dew-claws on Canines. Some dogs have them...some don't. Sometimes you will see some of both in the same litter. Variation like that is actually quite common and natural.

([Edit:]I just realised that the entire first and thirdparagraphs are single extended sentences. My Old Highschool English/Creative writing teacher would have given me an earfull about that.)
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Lone_Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lone_Wolf »

Yeah I voted for since if you're already taking the basic hand structure from humans, then you do need to have it be a mix of humans and wolves. So,why not even if it doesn't serve much of a purpose.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

I'd say no to having them on the gestalt form, but for wolf-form, yeah.

I say no on Gestalt becuase I like a blend of human and wolf in some aspects, and the hand is one. It has the human hand structure, some pads and claws added, and fur. Works for me. Don't need some wrist-pad which has little use beyond aesthetics (and even then, I'm not sure I like how it looks).
Figarou wrote:
Well, that would make sence if they all came from the same family.

If werewolves came from different parts of the world, then they won't look "consistant."
Being from [x] or [x] shouldn't have too big of a impact on Werewolves, though. But a Werewolf from say, Africa might look more like a ethoipian wolf whereas a North American werewolf looks like a Timber Wolf, etc.

Occaisonal WW with some genetic disorder/mutation is fine with me though. Not too many though.
Kisota

Post by Kisota »

I really like Vuldari's point about some dogs having dew claws and others not.

:D While I like the wristpad, I think it does actually seem better that some werewolves wouldn't have them.

And full wolf form werewolves need to have the wristpad. Period.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

i voted "why is there even a poll for this?".