Something that affects our artists

The place for anything at all...
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Resident Chakat

Something that affects our artists

Post by Short Tail »

I found out about this new act that is going before congress to change the copyright laws on art work to the following:
If somethig is not marked CLEARLY with a NAME then it will be assumed
to have been ABANDONED and thusly ANYONE has the right to use it, sell it or otherwise 'put it to good use'. There is also a part in there talking
about if a thrid party takes something, erases your name and hands it off to someone that someone can claim ignorance.

This is just wrong and could seriously affect the major artists amoung us. I encourage all of you to send an email to a representative urging them to block this. Representatives receive very little mail, so only a few messages can convince them of the people's opinion. Please do something about this people.
http://www.copyright.gov/orphan/orphan-report-full.pdf
"War is over if you want it to be. Imagine all the people living life in peace." - John & Yoko
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

What?! Oh what utter bull... :x
Hamster
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hamster »

*angry rant ahead*

What the ****!?! :x

Ok, now I'm p*ssed off. I'm off the ****ing wall with this ****! I dare they!? How ****ing dare they!? People don't have no ****ing respect for artists! If it wasn't for artist you would have the **** you have in your normal cozy life. It was artists that designed your car, it was artists that designed your T.V., it was artist who designed your computer, and it was artist who designed your precious DVD player. Everything you own was designed by an artist! And now they decided to **** us!? What about art thiefs, huh? What if a thief erased your name off the drawing, does that mean HE have the rights to it now!?! This is pure Bull****!!!
Meh Dev account: http://kileyhannan.deviantart.com/

"Life... It's drawing without an eraser..."
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Short Tail »

Hamster wrote:What about art thiefs, huh? What if a thief erased your name off the drawing, does that mean HE have the rights to it now!?!
This is exactly how I feel. Though not an artist myslef, I know how easy it would be to edit out a copyright then use the ignorance clause. People, we cannot let this pass.
"War is over if you want it to be. Imagine all the people living life in peace." - John & Yoko
Hamster
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hamster »

What can we do, though?

:x

Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

What?! :o Well that really sucks I must say!! I got 2 separate copyright on my work, but I guess that dosen't even matter now :( Well I am certainly going to call my Copyright offices and see what's going on with that!!
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

I don't have a lot of time right now. I'm sure you'll hear what I have to say about this later anyway.

But for now, I do suggest familiarizing yourself with the details and developing a well-supported and logical argument before writing or calling in any angry complaints. If this is important to you, you should do it right.

Right?

-- Vilkacis
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x

This is not right!! who is the dumb a** that came up with this bull s***!!! taking some one's work and submiting it as their own isn't right to begin with. but this bull s*** of a copy right law is nothing but legalized puregery!! :x

:x THIS IS WHY I HATE THE GOVERNMENT AND DON'T TRUST POLOTITIONS AN LAWYERS!!! :x

BECAUSE THEY ALL SUCK!!!

does any one have an e-mail adress to complain about this load of bull!!!
Last edited by Anubis on Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE GAME

My Armory
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Short Tail »

Hamster wrote:What can we do, though?
You can look up your local legislative representative and send them a (kind) email. As stated by Vilkacis, make sure to familiarize yourself with it so you can make a good reason why it should not pass.
@Anubis: Lawyers have nothing to do with this one, this is a peice of legislation.
Hamster
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hamster »

Fine!

When I have time, I might right that "kind" e-mail.

Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Something wicked
Mood: Meh...

Post by Akugarou »

As I am heading up a big projectinvolving many artists, I feel strongly about copyrights and insuring artist are credited for their work. One of the best things you, as artists, authors, etc. can do, is make sure you are familiar with copyright laws.

The following article is all about copyrights. It's long, but very comprehensive. It is user friendly because it is broken down in linked sections much like a FAQ page:
http://www.rexx.com/~jaguar/copyright.html

Lastly, I agree with Vilkacis and Petard. Conducting yourselves professionally will get you better results (and earn yourselves some respect) with your representative, than ranting and raving.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

I will be writing email and also sending letters to the companies I use for protection, I hate the idea someone could be using my work or stealing it for there own pleasure, I'd prefer if they'd ask first, but even then how do you know they won't take it for their own...It scares me pretty bad it dose :(