Would werewolves be able to read in wolf or gestalt forms ?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
garouda
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Do You Believe In Magic ?

Would werewolves be able to read in wolf or gestalt forms ?

Post by garouda »

The same virus that changes the shape of bones, increases and decreases certain senses, may also have an affect on the WW in different forms.

Portions of the brain, of which the mind is a feature, might be both enhanced and repressed. Wild wolves have no need to process images in the fashion that permits humans to read. And yet while their vision is not so hot, their sense of hearing and smell is superb. So, even if the basic intelligence and personality is relatively intact, I pose the following question:

Will werewolves be able to read or write in their wolf and gestalt forms and why ?
The change, does it wrack the bones and rend the flesh ? Yes, indeed it does. But is this pain and agony alone ? No, in fact hardly at all. It is the Sacrament of the Moon. The flesh flows and so do the endorphins. It is, in truth, the agony ecstatic; The Pain That Is Pleasure
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

If the wolf brain does not recognize something, then the human brain should have full comprehension. It'd be more likely that the wolf instincts would interfere with a human's comprehension when it is applicable, so since the wolf brain has no need for written language, the human brain can focus with no conflicting signals.

Writing, on the other hand, is a different story. I suppose a wolf or gestalt could theoretically write, but no doubt it would take a lot of practice readjusting to the shape of their gestalt hand/paw, or worse, holding a writing utensil in the full wolf's teeth. It's possible that they could with practice, but I imagine most people woudn't have the patience to relearn a basic skill all over again.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Re: Would werewolves be able to read in wolf or gestalt form

Post by Lupin »

garouda wrote:Portions of the brain, of which the mind is a feature, might be both enhanced and repressed. Wild wolves have no need to process images in the fashion that permits humans to read.
Most of that image processing is pattern recognition, which brains are good at. Both recognizing words and comprehending language is a learned abilitly, so I would say as long as their mind is intact, they shouldn't have any problems reading.

In gestalt form writing would probably be easier with those big pencils you used in elementary school.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Destroying and re-creating a brain would require a bit more than a scientific / virus approach. Even temporarily compressing the information into an archive of neuron clusters is weird enough that you might as well keep the speech centers, reading centers, and so forth of the brain intact, and have fun trying to talk with a muzzle and squint to read with nearsighted wolfy eyes that sees "31" instead of "87" on the color-blind test pizzas.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

So long as the human side is still concious, then i cant see any reason why not...
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
garouda
Legendary
Legendary

Post by garouda »

Timber-WoIf wrote:So long as the human side is still concious, then i cant see any reason why not...
What if in Gestalt or Werewolf forms, one suffered from dyslexia ?
The change, does it wrack the bones and rend the flesh ? Yes, indeed it does. But is this pain and agony alone ? No, in fact hardly at all. It is the Sacrament of the Moon. The flesh flows and so do the endorphins. It is, in truth, the agony ecstatic; The Pain That Is Pleasure
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

This is your brain... This is your brain in wolf form... Any questions?

--Partnership for a drug-Freeborn America
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:This is your brain... This is your brain in wolf form... Any questions?

--Partnership for a drug-Freeborn America

where's the picture of the frying egg?

:jester:
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Couldn't get to the store to pick one up :P
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

I'd say that your muzzle could get in the way in hybrid form when reading, so, like, you'd need to tilt your head down a bit to read stuff.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

kitetsu wrote:I'd say that your muzzle could get in the way in hybrid form when reading, so, like, you'd need to tilt your head down a bit to read stuff.
I don't think that would even factor in, because I don't think a werewolf could see its nose. There's a definate advantage to not having part of your vision blocked.

I don't see any reason why they couldn't read.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Set wrote:
kitetsu wrote:I'd say that your muzzle could get in the way in hybrid form when reading, so, like, you'd need to tilt your head down a bit to read stuff.
I don't think that would even factor in, because I don't think a werewolf could see its nose. There's a definate advantage to not having part of your vision blocked.

I don't see any reason why they couldn't read.

Mmm...I think they could probably see their noses. After all, I can see my nose, and it's much smaller than a muzzle.

But, I do agree with Set that I don't think it'd be much of a problem. I only see my nose if I make a conscious effort to cross my eyes and look downward at it, and in all other circumstances, I don't really 'see' my nose. I think a werewolf would probably be about the same way. That is, though their nose might protrude slightly into their field of vision, they wouldn't notice it unless they were trying to. I don't think the presence of a muzzle would affect their ability to read.
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

Aff, a muzzle wouldn't be a problem at all. Except to newbie werewolves mabie. But my glasses have rims, i don't "see" them, even though they are even more in my line of sight. And when you wear goggles, or a helmit, or a visor, you don't really "see" those either, unless you're really not used to it.

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

How would the muzzle be a problem in reading? All you have to do is tilt your head towards the book or put the book in front of you.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I think not. When you brutaly transform into a werewolf, reading a book is the last thing you think about. But aside from that, I think werewolves don't have the concentration to read a book.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

I hope they could read! If I was a werewolf. Perhaps in Gestalt form they can concentrate and read, but as a wolf, maybe they're a little too scattered unless they have some sort of really strong sense of control. If they retain control, then they will have the mechanisms to also read. Well I'd think so anyway, but it is fantasy so I will vote for yes, under controlled circumstances.

A werewolf sees a 'Wanted: Vicious Wolf Dog' sign. We'd hope he or she got warning :lol:

Unless they were evil humans who took pleasure in power in animal form.

Or demonic snails who preffered fur and a tail to a shell.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Its way to silly to see a wolf reading...
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
garouda
Legendary
Legendary

Post by garouda »

Morkulv wrote:Its way to silly to see a wolf reading...
As if werewolves as a concept in and of themselves is not in the least little bit silly ?
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Morkulv wrote:But aside from that, I think werewolves don't have the concentration to read a book.
So you're saying all werewolves have ADD? Why do you...Oooh, a penny!
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

Set wrote:...Oooh, a penny!
Yea, I noticed that too.

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Timber-WoIf wrote:
Set wrote:...Oooh, a penny!
Yea, I noticed that too.
What kind of penny?
Water penny?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

I don't see why they shouldn't. Keep in mind that werewolves ARE NOT wolves. A wolf can't read, a werewolf could. (Or should...in this country six adults in ten can't read above the second-grade reading level and two in ten can't read at all) :read2:
ImageImageImageImage
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

vrikasatma wrote:I don't see why they shouldn't. Keep in mind that werewolves ARE NOT wolves. A wolf can't read, a werewolf could. (Or should...in this country six adults in ten can't read above the second-grade reading level and two in ten can't read at all) :read2:
What if the words were red, on green paper?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
garouda
Legendary
Legendary

Post by garouda »

Apokryltaros wrote:
vrikasatma wrote:I don't see why they shouldn't. Keep in mind that werewolves ARE NOT wolves. A wolf can't read, a werewolf could. (Or should...in this country six adults in ten can't read above the second-grade reading level and two in ten can't read at all) :read2:
What if the words were red, on green paper?
That would pose a problem under full spectrum light. Under filtered red, or filtered green light, the shades of gray should be different enough to read.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

If the words were red on green paper, I think EVERYONE, human, werewolf or otherwise, would have a problem reading them :wink:
ImageImageImageImage