Psychological reaction of the newly bitten

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
mexwerewolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Psychological reaction of the newly bitten

Post by mexwerewolf »

I could not find this topic covered in prior postings. Sorry If I am wrong.

I am thinking of what a newly shifted werewolf would go in his mind. What would be his reaction (not physical) to his shift just after it is over?

Consider a person bitten by werewolves but that managed to escape from the scene before the werewolves could capture him. He then shifts alone in his house on the first full moon. He would try to go to a hospital? Try to use the phone and talk to someone? Or just let his wolf mind take over?

And if he is among friends (human friends), then what would he do? run from them? ask them for help? try to contact them later?

And after a few days, what would he do? Try to contact his family for help? A hospital? Or just think everything was a dream, except for the fact that his room is all trashed.

And after realizing he's now a werewolf. Would he still try to find a cure first? Or just accept his new form? Fall into depression?
Howling Werewolf
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

I think there is a topic on this within topics.

Who cares I'll post my views anyway. Well it depends on the person, and the place they live, the circumstances, how traumatic the attack was, whether they remember the attack.

Say they were a therianthrope. Scott Gardener wrote a story about this; the guy was still rather terrified, though all therians wish they could shift. (His profile has a link to the story if you wish to read it, I'd recommend it highly).

Other therianthropes may take it as a gift.

A werewolf fanatic who was smart may take into consideration every factor. What problems are there associated with being a werewolf? What sort of werewolf are they? Does the moon influence their shifting? Or do they need to learn to control cravings? Are they violent, or simply have wolf instincts? Where could they confine themselves? What about waking up with no clothes and what sort of area do they live in? Haha and some would wonder 'What do I look like? I hope I am not an ugly werewolf like in those silly films. I hope I am like Freeborn's werewolves, or Goldenwolf's"

Then there are the heightened senses. Imagine the annoyance. It can be painful when you're not used to it, delightful at times, and annoying when the guy nexted to you at Uni farted or has bad breath. :lol:

Imagine you were at highschool. Uni might be easier (Or college depending where you live, it's called College in America right?) because yeah the hours are on and off, different hours, etc. Highschool though; people are immature, pathetic, and not worthy even of my mention (Sorry I hated highschool I am glad never to set foot in that hell hole again). Imagine dealing with emotional s*** through highschool, and getting the stupid useless homework (Honestly, homework is useless, it doesn't help you revise much) on the full moon (providing it makes you shift forcefully).

Say you weren't even a werewolf or a horror fan. Especially a non horror fan. And more especially a hater of werewolves or wolves. Or something. Or you were a boring everyday person who had no interest in anything at all but conformity. Well basically your life has turned upside down.

Of course, becoming a werewolf (providing that werewolf was quite beautiful, and not a killer by nature like in the films, personally I find the human side the cause of any 'killer' instincts. Wolves hunt to feed and live.) could be a very rewarding experience once the problems are dealt with.

In this day and age, however, there will always be problems associated with any kind of were, or any kind of 'Out of place' thing. Typical. They make it so hard for disabled persons to live, they make it hard for wild organisms to live and breed, they make it hard for eccentric people like myself to live, what the hell do you think would happen to a werewolf?

hwlwnk

My howls on the topic. Too tired to go into any more detail. There's so much that could be written.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Herpscott
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Herpscott »

I agree with Mr. Hammet on this. As a therianthrope, I would galdly accept the opportunity - I think. BUt, there is so much that would have to be considered if this was actually real.

There is so much hidden in this world still that I believe that a werewolf clan could very well exist and we as a society (world) may never know it exists. They could live right under our noses (being that our noses are far inferior, we would never sniff out something like this - unless it smelled like fast food, humans can always sniff out fast food...err..whole other topic there.) Like Hammet said, some would view it as a curse and therefor, the werewolves that turned him/her would view that person as a threat and probably either keep them confined and help them adjust OR kill them. Those that are proud to be "different" would not want to risk their own existance.

I do think though that even the most down-to-earth and humble person may become drunk with power. Psychlogically, most humans get bored with mundane tasks and I could see some become restless. I don't mean that they would start to pillage, loot and kill, but they may become vigilantes. How much fun would it be to shift in front of some butthole that is trying to rob you at gunpoint? Or to rescue someone that was being raped or molested? Once this started, the existance of these individuals might become threatened.

To stay more on topic. Humans have the unbelievable talent of coping with high stress. Being bitten and then shifting would be high stress. I think most humans would cope and then it would just be down to how the "mob" begins to view the idea of a werewolf amongst them.

Remember, "A person is smart, people are dumb, panicky animals." - Agent K
"Ignorance is Bliss to those Uneducated" -Nick Hexum of 311

Please don't shoot me!!
mexwerewolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by mexwerewolf »

I will give the following scenario:

A person, not interested at all in werewolves or wolves, typical 24 year old, a good job, a collegue carreer, totally independent, active social life (never miss a party). Now this person is bitten by a werewolf, this person may not even realize it was a werewolf at all, just some animal.

After some weeks, he suffers his first shift, maybe while getting ready to go to a party. In my opinion, assuming that his mind is so terrified and traumatized by this event, he would remain in his apartment maybe in a dark corner scared of what he have become and waiting for it to go away. His next reaction would be to try to get help, but since he is probably too ashamed and afraid, he will try to contact some very good friend of relative. Considering that he is in Gestalt form, I guess he would try to contact this friend using the phone and trying to stand up, which will be too hard while he gets used to his digitigrade legs and trying to gain balance. I don't think he will try to go outside, not because he thinks now he is a werewolf and must hide. I don't think he will be able to accept himself as a werewolf on the first shift. He will just be afraid to be considered a freak or feel embarrazed by someone staring at him. Considering he can't find his friend (unable to use the phone or too late to find him at home), he sleeps and tries to forget about this.

The next morning, now in human form, he realizes it was just maybe a dream or just a temporary condition, and now he can go on with his life. But later during the following days he may have uncontrolled shifts (inexperienced WW after all) trigged maybe by anger or just uncontrolled at all. He may decide to try to contact a trushworthy friend to get his opinion. After all, it is very hard for a person to hold a secret only to himself and usually one tries to get some input from other friends. And what would be his conclusions?? This friend may freak out and run away, which will devastate the WW as he is trying to find comfort, or just tell him that he is now a monster, a cursed person, a blood-thirsty werewolf, which then may cause a terrible depresion on the WW.

But still, what would he do? He may be very confident in the health system and even try to contact a doctor to try to obtain help. They may come to an understanding that is in the best interest of both to help each other, the doctor may get a novel prize or something, a research fund, for his research in curing this lycantropy and the WW could have a chance to be cured.

Or maybe he would do what most people do, try to cope with this new problem, and try to find a solution by himself. Using the internet and such to try to find answers to his questions. Or just, like a lame movie, just stay lock inside his house on full moon and taking pills to control any mood change he could have.

Maybe on the long run (a few months later), he could gain enough confidence to accept himself, control his shift and go out in the nights for a nice run in the shadows, or even be found by a pack and "adopted". Or just stay frigtened of himself, hating what he is, and living a sad and terrible life until he dies.

This are my thoughts
Howling Werewolf
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

- Average Mustang would come into panic in any kind of form, before he goes back onto struggling with Mustang's daily life. The direct opposite of this is he will be deathly afraid, constantly running away and denying what he's become.

- Average Charlie would actually be happy of what he's become, so much that he doesn't care if he's a giant two legged dog. The direct opposite of this would be Charlie cursing himself for... well, being cursed.

- Average Siegfried would use this form in any advantage whatsoever. The direct opposite is Siegfried not doing so.

I could go on, because basically, there could be exceptions.
CanisLupus
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: it's so cute... AAAHHHHHHH!!!

Post by CanisLupus »

Well, surely all of the newly bitten will be surprised, no matter if he likes it or not. Unless he lived with or saw any werewolf on his life. Yeah, if he has enough courage to tell to someone, he will look for a doctor. If he has not, he will probaly try to find a cure by himself.

Another thing is that, when starting to shift for the first time, he will be scared of losing control of himsef, because of the common lore. He also will probally want to see himself at that state. If he has a big friend, probally he will think about telling him/her. And much more can happen

a little OFF
--------------------
kitetsu wrote:- Average Mustang ...
- Average Charlie ...
- Average Siegfried ...

I could go on, because basically, there could be exceptions.
Average Mustang = Shannon, probaly (specially after taking a good look of her legs)
Average Charlie = Locke, no doubt
Average Siegfried = Sawyer.

... Hm? sorry about that. Sometimes I shift to a LOSTholic... hey, this one is good. Werelost. How would be a WereHurley?... hey! maybe I solved the mistery! yeah! i did it! damn, I need a emoticon. What about a werewolf playing a guitar and singing "you all everybody"? Wait, this one is better: That thing that kills people is a super werewolf! I did it! I solved the mistery! They are at the werewolf island! they will become sushi!

why are you looking me at this? Hey, what are you doing?! let me out this box! It's too uncomfortable. Heeeeeeelllpp :mourn:
huh?
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

The five stages of grieving: homid, glabro, crinos...

Post by Scott Gardener »

I looked to the "five stages of grieving" when I wrote my novel; I think it's a pretty plausible prediciton of how a lot of people would handle it. For those who haven't yet grieved over anyone, the "five stages" is a psychology premise that states that people who experience a loss tend to experience sooner or later five different emotional states. It's remarkably consistant:

1. Shock--disbelief. Easy to see, since werewolves aren't supposed to exist. My character put off going to the hospital for this reason. He simply refused at first to deal with it.

2. Anger--hostility towards the creatures that took away one's humanity, or towards the universe for afflicting one with a "curse."

3. Bargaining--this is where one might try some of the kooky medieval cures. One might also promise to live a pious life from now on, if God will agree to "lift the curse."

4. Depression--it sinks in at this point that lycanthropy is not going away, and that everything one will experience from this time onward will be as a werewolf.

5. Acceptance--after living with it awhile, one sooner or later realizes that one hasn't really lost anything, and furthermore, one has gained cool abilities and a new outlook on life.

Of course, someone who wants to be a werewolf probably would not have quite the same problem, but even a die-hard therian would still be in for a shock actually to see one of the things live and in person. It would be very unsettling, and even someone like me probably would still have to go through a soul-searching "what was I thinking" before getting to the acceptance point.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
mexwerewolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Re: The five stages of grieving: homid, glabro, crinos...

Post by mexwerewolf »

Scott Gardener wrote:I looked to the "five stages of grieving" when I wrote my novel; I think it's a pretty plausible prediciton of how a lot of people would handle it. For those who haven't yet grieved over anyone, the "five stages" is a psychology premise that states that people who experience a loss tend to experience sooner or later five different emotional states. It's remarkably consistant:

1. Shock--disbelief. Easy to see, since werewolves aren't supposed to exist. My character put off going to the hospital for this reason. He simply refused at first to deal with it.

2. Anger--hostility towards the creatures that took away one's humanity, or towards the universe for afflicting one with a "curse."

3. Bargaining--this is where one might try some of the kooky medieval cures. One might also promise to live a pious life from now on, if God will agree to "lift the curse."

4. Depression--it sinks in at this point that lycanthropy is not going away, and that everything one will experience from this time onward will be as a werewolf.

5. Acceptance--after living with it awhile, one sooner or later realizes that one hasn't really lost anything, and furthermore, one has gained cool abilities and a new outlook on life.

Of course, someone who wants to be a werewolf probably would not have quite the same problem, but even a die-hard therian would still be in for a shock actually to see one of the things live and in person. It would be very unsettling, and even someone like me probably would still have to go through a soul-searching "what was I thinking" before getting to the acceptance point.
I agree on this unless I have my doubts on the last one, acceptance. Maybe if the person being turned into a WW is really a fanatic of werewolves and a die-hard therian, maybe he will accept this in a reasonable amount of time. But a regular joe will find it very hard to accept himself or maybe never accepts himself for the following reasons:

1. Being a werewolf would mean losing his "humanity". No matter how much he could enjoy the benefits if he feels he's no longer part of it.

2. I think controlling the shift during full moons take a lot of practice (years I suppose) so the fear of an uncontrollable shift will haunt him forever and he may never even try to control it as he may think it is impossible.

3. And when he is in werewolf form, he would feel like a freak or someone who could never be accepted in society. Maybe he will never dare go outside his house or just relocate to the suburbs in fear of being seen. No matter how enjoyable his new form could be, it will not help if what he misses is being accepted by society.

4. Cannot think of a fourth reason :)
Howling Werewolf
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

No, I don't have anything importaint to add

Post by Set »

CanisLupus wrote:... Hm? sorry about that. Sometimes I shift to a LOSTholic... hey, this one is good. Werelost. How would be a WereHurley?... hey! maybe I solved the mistery! yeah! i did it! damn, I need a emoticon. What about a werewolf playing a guitar and singing "you all everybody"? Wait, this one is better: That thing that kills people is a super werewolf! I did it! I solved the mistery! They are at the werewolf island! they will become sushi!
:lol: It's "you are everybody". That's what it sounds like to me at any rate. By the way...

Faolan Bloodtooth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Faolan Bloodtooth »

I think if a person was bitten they would freak out... but as the virus/disease/infection (if you were looking at it that way) would alter them physically so and release some kind of deterrent against fear... so the change would be easier...

If you were going from a magical standpoint... then if it was me i would freak out for the simple fact i'd BE TURNING INTO A WEREWOLF :howl:  :oo although that would be pretty kool :D

Later Days
The Past Is Dead...
The Future Is Unborn...
The Moment Is Yours...
CanisLupus
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: it's so cute... AAAHHHHHHH!!!

Re: No, I don't have anything importaint to add

Post by CanisLupus »

Set wrote: :lol: It's "you are everybody". That's what it sounds like to me at any rate. By the way...

Well, it depends... are you going to take me out of the jail? And takes for the picture, It will fit nice on msn.

*2 hours ago, watching Lost, 2nd season, episode 6*
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! *faints*
huh?
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Obviously, he would just keep it as his secret.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

I also highly doubt that any average joe and jane "involuntarily" changing into a were would instantly have a change of heart and become "evil"... And go all "i've come home, brother. Now we can kill all teh pathetic hy00manz!!".

... That, my friends, is VOLUNTARY, even BEFORE the change.

Well, technically speaking. *shrug*
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

Not everyone grieving makes it all the way to acceptance. Some get stuck in the early stages. If it's not a big loss, one alternatively can speed right through some of the stages.

For example, I just a few days ago found out that I lost a position at the ER where I've been working. But, I was already planning on leaving it a few months later to move to Dallas. The news simply meant moving a few months earlier. Not as big a loss as it could have been had things happened a little differently. But, I was in a depressed funk that night and yesterday. Today, I'm fine and happy, because I know I have a better future. Shock lasted only a few seconds, and anger has intermittantly popped up for no more than about two hours total time. Bargaining hasn't even come up, as I'm not interested in keeping a job I've already planned to leave.

I suspect this is about what the reaction would be for a therian getting bitten, or someone metaphysically inclined or otherwise predisposed towards it, who already knows enough about lycanthropy to know what aspects are and aren't true, and assuming that lycanthropy is more what we imagine it to be, as opposed to being like it is in the horror movies. It's what one wants, but it's still going to involve big lifestyle changes.
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Hey I got quoted in someone's message :o

If the curse afflicted me or the virus or DNA whatever, in such a way I could not play guitar or hear music (Some people believe they would hear it very differently...I don't, but hey if that was the case), then I would not want to be a werewolf. Whatever my therian side means to me, I would never, ever sacrifice music. Or my guitar. Thats in the music area. Yes. I must say that strongly, and I express my therian side via my music anyway.

Boy...I must love my music, because I'd love to shape-shift. However there are a lot of things to being this typical unable-to-control-a-shift werewolf that are unappealing. I mean...shifting in public. Relationships. Unable to fit in with a real wolf pack either. But that I could sacrifice to be able to shift. However, not my music. I can never express to anyone how much it means to me! -Sheds tears desperately-

Anyhow my psychological effects to transforming and finding I can't hear music ... would be to murder myself straight out.

But I don't believe they can't hear music the same way. I'd believe they can.

I feel I've almost gone off topic. :(
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
mexwerewolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by mexwerewolf »

MMM... Interesting

Have anyone made a thread about the disadvantages of being a werewolf?? Being a werewolf cannot be a win-win situation, I think something must be traded. One thing is definitely the sight (at least in the color seeing capabilities), another is being chased and if you can't control your shift, that's a really big problem for having a good life.
Howling Werewolf
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

mexwerewolf wrote:MMM... Interesting

Have anyone made a thread about the disadvantages of being a werewolf?? Being a werewolf cannot be a win-win situation, I think something must be traded. One thing is definitely the sight (at least in the color seeing capabilities), another is being chased and if you can't control your shift, that's a really big problem for having a good life.
You also forgot the shedding of fur.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

Hearing:

Music skills would probably get better, or at least music appreciation. Humans hear upwards to 20 kHz if we're lucky. Wolves get upwards of 80 or 90 kHz. I picture werewolves even in human form getting about 40 kHz or so. That means you'd become a terrible audiophile, and mp3s would invariably sound muffled compared to source CDs. You'd hear additional overtones outside of human hearing range, and live music would sound that much better than recordings, since current recording technology is optimized around human hearing ranges.

But, that really belongs in a seperate thread.

Anyway...

Tradeoffs:

Listing individual tradeoffs of lycanthropy is ultimately also another topic, but they would certainly impact the mood of the newly afflicted, especially if he or she didn't think about it until after getting bitten, or if it indeed disrupted an important element of one's life.

A forced shapeshift every full moon would affect some people's jobs, and force many others to move, because of the impracticality of a forced shift in, say, a small urban high rise apartment. It would disrupt social elements of one's life. Every once and awhile, a full moon might coincide with, say, Thanksgiving or Christmas, forcing one to avoid spending time with family if they weren't fellow lycanthropes. Not as likely to come up, but still a stressor. Imagine whatever sort of lifestyle changes YOU would have to make if you shifted sunset to sunrise for three consecutive nights every month. (I grant that for some women, that's not a big stretch of the imagination.)

Silver sensitivity, if it's part of your legends, also entails some stuff. Imagine one's favorite family heirloom suddenly becoming toxic. Bummer of a curse for a jeweler or coin collector, too.

But, my own storyline lycanthropes are affected by neither full moons nor silver, and they still have plenty of issues. Having a secret this big would in and of itself involve a lot of personal questing. Imagine realizing suddenly that if ANYONE found out, you'd forever after have to worry about being persecuted. In my own story, I took it a step further. My lead character realized that if he spread lycanthropy to the wrong person even accidentally just once, that person could in turn give it to another and another, leading to an epidemic that would destroy the world as he knew it. That hung over him constantly--even more so in my re-edited manuscript. Imagine living with the burden that you could accidentally with one mistake cause a major catastrophe or even wipe out civilization.

Physiologically, my own depiction of werewolves, even lacking super powers or even near-consensus powers such as prolonged life span or increased size, are still far advantaged over humans. But, my lead character still went through a great culture shock, because, first and foremost, it was UNKNOWN to him. At first he didn't know whether or not he was cursed by Satan, could be mind-controlled by the one who bit him, or what-not. It took him awhile just to get past PTSD mind-blocks and admit to himself that he was indeed bitten by a werewolf, because merely seeing one was a freak violation of his assumptions about the world. And, he's a role-playing gamer and sci-fi fan who's used to the ideas.

Imagine if your friendly but narrow-minded co-worker or classmate, who enjoys shooting the breeze but who can't seem to understand Star Trek and thinks Harry Potter is Satanic, got turned? You wouldn't need to lose any basic abilities, and, most unique abilities, such as enhanced hearing and smell, wouldn't be perceived at first as anything other than more abberations that drives home the point that one is no longer human...
garouda
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Do You Believe In Magic ?

Post by garouda »

Scott Gardener wrote:Hearing:

Music skills would probably get better, or at least music appreciation. Humans hear upwards to 20 kHz if we're lucky. Wolves get upwards of 80 or 90 kHz. I picture werewolves even in human form getting about 40 kHz or so. That means you'd become a terrible audiophile, and mp3s would invariably sound muffled compared to source CDs. You'd hear additional overtones outside of human hearing range, and live music would sound that much better than recordings, since current recording technology is optimized around human hearing ranges.
Actually I should like to mention that live music is also optimized for human auditory ranges as are the venues in which such music is performed. There could well be all kinds of annoying 'hash' beyond the ranges of human hearing that could potentially annoy a WW to no end. Distonal harmonics, inaudible to human ears could really mess up the quality of live performances, as could extraneous sound sources originating in the music electronics and even in the building infrastructure.
The change, does it wrack the bones and rend the flesh ? Yes, indeed it does. But is this pain and agony alone ? No, in fact hardly at all. It is the Sacrament of the Moon. The flesh flows and so do the endorphins. It is, in truth, the agony ecstatic; The Pain That Is Pleasure
mexwerewolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by mexwerewolf »

I think having to leave hidden from society must be a psychological shock for most. I think a newly bitten would think "Why should I have to hide now???, am I not normal anymore??". He may even think that coming out in a hospital and showing his "disease" will make him feel better.

After all, no matter if he feels lonely and depressed, he may prefer to have acceptance, no matter if it is positive (from a friend telling him that everything is ok and he is still the same person) or negative (as from a scientist or doctor telling him that his life is ruined but will try to help him, or from people staring at him at the street).
Howling Werewolf
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

I think they'd probably hurt themselves or others without guidance. Just like driving. If your parent/guardian isn't in the seat next to you and your driving for the first time, RUN PEDESTRIANS RUN! :P
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."