Nintendo Revolution

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Nintendo Revolution

Post by Figarou »

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/17 ... 25078.html

Hmmmm...odd design. But I'm glad it'll play DVDs.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Re: Nintendo Revolution

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/17 ... 25078.html
I still don't think DVD movie playback is neccesary for a GAME console, but it IS nice that they decided to include it this time around...even if I have no use for it, allready owning a DVD player.

I don't think the design is odd at all...exept when you take into account that it is a Nintendo product. I think it looks equally as slick as the PS3 and X-Box 360 models, which is a good move by Nintedo.

The only gripe I have so far about what has been announced about the design is that the controllers are ALL going to be "wireless" by default...out of the box.

Personally , I don't see why everyone likes Wireless controllers so much. PERSONALLY, I think that having to worry about your controllers battery dying at a crucial moment durring a game, plus the possibility of radio/static interferance is FAR more of a nuisance than the presence of a cord connecting you to the system.

Up untill now, I've completely boycoted the use of wireless controllers, PC mice, etc. I refuse to buy or use a "Wavebird" (Because "battery life" is a concern on wireless controllers, Rumble features have to be cut out.) I LOVE being able to feel dynamic feedback from the games I play in my hands.

I don't want to sacrifice that, plus the confidence of knowing I am hardwired to the system with NO power concerns at all for the insignificant convinience of being wireless.

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hope Nintendo offers WIRED controllers as an OPTION for HardCore gamers like myself.

...otherwise, I'll just be really pissed.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:
I don't think the design is odd at all...exept when you take into account that it is a Nintendo product. I think it looks equally as slick as the PS3 and X-Box 360 models, which is a good move by Nintedo.
I'm not used to consoles that stand on end. Sure, its a space saver design. But I like to be able to hide the wires behind it.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:
Vuldari wrote:
I'm not used to consoles that stand on end. Sure, its a space saver design. But I like to be able to hide the wires behind it.
Like the PS2, the base to let it stand vertical like that is purely optional. Unlike either the PS3 or X-Box 360, the Revolution is actually level and square, thus allowing you to set it up and run it stacked horizontally in your existing Media cabinet, if you so desire.

[Edit: Controller Ports...*Let's out large sigh of relief* "Oh good... I feel better now. "Image ]
Last edited by Vuldari on Wed May 18, 2005 6:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Well, I hope the Revolution has the same "Digital AV out" as the Gamecube. I'd hate to buy another special component cable just to play games in progressive scan mode. Or in HD.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:Well, I hope the Revolution has the same "Digital AV out" as the Gamecube. I'd hate to buy another special component cable just to play games in progressive scan mode. Or in HD.
I don't know if it will use the SAME component cable or not, ( I think it is likely though, considering their tradition of having the same S-video/RCA port on the SNES, N64 and GAMECUBE, plus still using the exact same RF switch box on all four consoles going back to the original NES.), but I do know that, in addition to having RF, RCA,S-video, and Component video support, it will also have direct digital video output capablilities, making it compatable with some High end TV's and even a standard PC monitor!

...it's true. Image

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

The Gamecube is the 1st console from Nintendo to use "Digital AV out" (Component/Progressive) The "Analog AV out" is where you use the S-video.

I had to order the Component cable through the Nintendo website. You can't find it anywhere else. That cable was hard to come by during the xmas season last year. Some had to wait until Feb just to order one. Thats why I'm hoping I can use the cable I already have.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:The Gamecube is the 1st console from Nintendo to use "Digital AV out" (Component/Progressive) The "Analog AV out" is where you use the S-video.

I had to order the Component cable through the Nintendo website. You can't find it anywhere else. That cable was hard to come by during the xmas season last year. Some had to wait until Feb just to order one. Thats why I'm hoping I can use the cable I already have.
I'm well aware of that. I too had to buy my digital component cables dirrectly from Nintendo.

I don't think I made any claim to THAT port existing on any of the previous consoles. The point I was making was, since Nintendo used the same "RF" switch on every succesive console, and then used the same RCA/S-Video port on every system that featured it, I would naturally assume they would use the same Digital/Component output on the Revolution as they did on the GameCube.

(I find it also likely that the same old RCA/S-Video port exists on the back of the Revolution as well...so the wires you use to connect your SNES, N64 and GameCube should plug right in to your shiny new Revolution, and you'll be ready to go.)

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote: (I find it also likely that the same old RCA/S-Video port exists on the back of the Revolution as well...so the wires you use to connect your SNES, N64 and GameCube should plug right in to your shiny new Revolution, and you'll be ready to go.)

8)
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Something which I feel is Really cool about Nintendo's announced "FREE" online service is the inclusion of downloadable versions of classic NES, SNES and even N64 games playable on the Revolution.

(...though nothing has been said about if "downloadable" games will cost a fee, or how much. Though the "basic" service has been confirmed to be cost-free {unlike "X-Box LIVE"}, it is still very possible, and likely that there will be seperate fees for "Extra" or "Special" content, or access to certain capabilities.)

LONG LIVE THE GOLDEN YEARS OF NINTENDO!!!! ...the "classics" will NEVER die.
Last edited by Vuldari on Wed May 18, 2005 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:Something which I feel is Really cool about Nintendo's announced "FREE" online service is the inclusion of downloadable versions of classic NES, SNES and even N64 games playable on the Revolution.

LONG LIVE THE GOLDEN YEARS OF NINTENDO!!!! ...the "classics" will NEVER die.

My all time favorite Zelda game was on the SNES. I can't seem to remember the name. It was very easy to play. I may download that game to see if I remember where everything was at.

I also loved Super Metroid for the SNES!!
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:My all time favorite Zelda game was on the SNES. I can't seem to remember the name. It was very easy to play. I may download that game to see if I remember where everything was at.

I also loved Super Metroid for the SNES!!
That was "A Link to the Past". Indeed...it was a very good game.

Many people don't remember this, or possilbly didn't notice because the sprite was so small and odd looking, but in Zelda 3: ALttP, Link actually transformed into a Pink bunny when he entered the dark realm for the first time.
Image...further proof that Miyamoto is a mad Genius. Image You would have to be "Mad" to come up with something like that.

...and, OH YEAH! "Super Metroid" ROCKED Big Time. Image

[Edit: Fixed Image. I am hosting it now on my Image Shack account.]
Last edited by Vuldari on Wed May 18, 2005 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Ahem...did you forget something? You can't link to an image on Tripod. :wink:

Edit
Okay. I see your edit Vuldari. :D
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:Okay. I see your edit Vuldari. :D
I didn't "edit" that animation. ...I Stole it...Image

...oh...and the game is allready available for GBA if you have one, or at least a "GameBoy Player". They Renamed the GBA version "Four Swords" because, in addition to the entire original SNES game, they included a whole seperate adventure that can be played with Four players. (...with Four gameboys...Not exactly "convinient". Image )

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:
Figarou wrote:Okay. I see your edit Vuldari. :D
I didn't "edit" that animation. ...I Stole it...Image

I meant the edit to your post. :wink:
Vuldari wrote:...oh...and the game is allready available for GBA if you have one, or at least a "GameBoy Player". They Renamed the GBA version "Four Swords" because, in addition to the entire original SNES game, they included a whole seperate adventure that can be played with Four players. (...with Four gameboys...Not exactly "convinient". Image )

Hmmm...I really don't want to go out and buy a Gameboy. I'll look into it later.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Vuldari wrote:
Figarou wrote:http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/17 ... 25078.html
I still don't think DVD movie playback is neccesary for a GAME console, but it IS nice that they decided to include it this time around...even if I have no use for it, allready owning a DVD player.

The only gripe I have so far about what has been announced about the design is that the controllers are ALL going to be "wireless" by default...out of the box.

Personally , I don't see why everyone likes Wireless controllers so much. PERSONALLY, I think that having to worry about your controllers battery dying at a crucial moment durring a game, plus the possibility of radio/static interferance is FAR more of a nuisance than the presence of a cord connecting you to the system.

Up untill now, I've completely boycoted the use of wireless controllers, PC mice, etc. I refuse to buy or use a "Wavebird" (Because "battery life" is a concern on wireless controllers, Rumble features have to be cut out.) I LOVE being able to feel dynamic feedback from the games I play in my hands.

I don't want to sacrifice that, plus the confidence of knowing I am hardwired to the system with NO power concerns at all for the insignificant convinience of being wireless.

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hope Nintendo offers WIRED controllers as an OPTION for HardCore gamers like myself.

...otherwise, I'll just be really pissed.
Not to mention a Wired cpontroller has a higher reaction time than a wireless.

That fraction of a second can be crucial in a shooter, esspecially Halo (sometimes its the only thing keeping a guy with a sword from running you through before you blow his head off).

But this nintendo design looks cool, and they now use actually CDs/DVDs! Instead of cartridges or Gamecube's weird...cd...thingy...

Hmm...i wonder if the disk drive will really glow like that...
:lol:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Well. Nintendo has changed the name of thier next game system.

Its called...

Wii (Pronounced "we")

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6148462.html

Mmmm'kay. Thats an odd name for a game system. ??

I can see a kid getting that for Xmas saying...

"WHEEE! I got a Wii!!"

:roll:
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Revolution was a much better name. They're catching a lot of flack for calling it 'Wii'. I know there's some cool symbolism behind the Wii name, but I'd rather have a cool name that says nothing about my system than have a (IMO) uncool one that does.
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

I knew it... Revolution just sounded too cool. Nintendo had to make it Wii. I feel dirty about saying...
"I'm gonna be playing with me Wii!" That is just wrong!
silverpaw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: I Bite, You've Been Warned ^_^

Post by silverpaw »

Yeah Its bad enough the design of the controller, haha ive got a funny comic about it , ill try and find it

Here it is
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=165

Enjoy

Syzygy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wergild Collector

Post by Syzygy »

Complete with rumble Pack! :o I can hardly wait! :lol:
Eat more tobasco.
silverpaw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: I Bite, You've Been Warned ^_^

Post by silverpaw »

I only want one for the super smash brothers games, And harvest moon if there is one on revolution,...i mean "wiii" :(