It Begins...

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:I'd like to see it also. As a close up on a female's tush!! Image

Did I just say that? :?

*runs and hides*
Ha HA!...the tables have turned. Now YOU are the one who must face "punishment". You can run, but you can not hide... :evil:

..."DUCK..."...Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:
Figarou wrote:I'd like to see it also. As a close up on a female's tush!! Image

Did I just say that? :?

*runs and hides*
Ha HA!...the tables have turned. Now YOU are the one who must face "punishment". :evil:

..."DUCK..."...Image

My own creation (edit) used against me!! Image

Oh the humiliation!!!

SnowWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Suck it up, cupcake

Post by SnowWalker »

Back on topic: To me I think that the day leading up to a transformation would be filled with general aches and pains. Generally I think there would be some kind of misalignment of the bones, as if you slept the wrong way last night and now your paying for it in every bone! Right before you start to change I think there would be some sort of euphoric/orgasmic flush through-out your body, and THEN the change begins and you feel the pain of bones shifting etc.

... there ya go... my 2 cents!

~Snowy
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Am I the only one who does not compare the physical sensation of shifting to an orgasm :?

"Euphoria" I can understand, or an intense rush like the moment that you go over the peak of a rollercoasters initial drop, but I personally imagine the sensation being considerably different than a "sexually stimulating" one.
...more like, "HOLY $#@*!!... I feel like I'm going to pee my pants, explode out of my skin and pass out laughing I'm so buzzed...and I think I like it." :wink:

(...kind of like how I feel after I've had a few too many chocolate milkshakes. )
lck ?? :o :lol:
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:Am I the only one who does not compare the physical sensation of shifting to an orgasm :?

You need to read these posts a bit more carefully. I compared it to a 1st jump out of an airplane. Not orgasm.

http://calypso-blue.com/werewolf/viewto ... =7577#7577
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Of the aches, i think they'd be most prominent in the mouth. I have braces, and after the wire in them is readjusted and the teeth begin to move again, my mouth hurts like hell for a few days after, so, it'd be similar to that leading up to the shift.

Then it REALLY hurts... :lol:

Growing a tail might be rather painful too... :wink:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Aki wrote:Of the aches, i think they'd be most prominent in the mouth. I have braces, and after the wire in them is readjusted and the teeth begin to move again, my mouth hurts like hell for a few days after, so, it'd be similar to that leading up to the shift.

I wonder which is more painfull. Growing a tail, or having it revert/shrivel back inside you?
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Both would hurt like hell; wont be able to sit down right for a week :wink:
But the tail bone growing and stretching out would be worst I think.*whimper* Gotta love the tails though :D
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:
Vuldari wrote:Am I the only one who does not compare the physical sensation of shifting to an orgasm :?
You need to read these posts a bit more carefully. I compared it to a 1st jump out of an airplane. Not orgasm.

I didn't really mean to suggest that EVERYONE has been describing it that way, (though the way I wrote it did...I apologise.) It just bothers me whenever it comes up.
Aki wrote:Of the aches, i think they'd be most prominent in the mouth. I have braces, and after the wire in them is readjusted and the teeth begin to move again, my mouth hurts like hell for a few days after, so, it'd be similar to that leading up to the shift.

I am inclined to agree. Though I may not be fond of the idea, Pain and discomfort would be unavoidable. I haven't considered the mouth pain before...I shudder to think of the headache that would cause. :cry:
Silverclaw wrote:Both would hurt like hell; wont be able to sit down right for a week :wink:
But the tail bone growing and stretching out would be worst I think.*whimper* Gotta love the tails though :D
I can't imagine the spine being forced to grow and extend into a tail feeling very good either...
...but just because I think it would be very uncomfortable, does not mean I don't think the experiance could be enjoyable too. It would feel like nothing any of us have ever experienced before.
(The Whole Shift, I mean... not just the tail.) :wink:

shhowl

=^.^'= ~
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

I'm sorry I called you "meatloaf"!

Post by Scott Gardener »

There's a lot of caudal nerve endings. Extending the spine a number of extra segments probably wouldn't be a nice experience the first few times. I think even one of us die hard fans or therians would have second thoughts while it's happening.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

Ahhh, but a shift of that nature might release a natural (or in a werewolves case, a large amount) of endorphines. Helping to cope with the pain.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

ABrownrigg wrote:Ahhh, but a shift of that nature might release a natural (or in a werewolves case, a large amount) of endorphines. Helping to cope with the pain.

Interesting.

Even more interesting. Look at link and quote below

http://stress.about.com/cs/exercise/a/aa072003a.htm

Endorphin release varies among individuals - meaning that two people who exercise at the same level or suffer the same degree of pain will not necessarily produce similar levels of endorphins. Certain foods, such as chocolate or chili peppers, can also lead to enhanced secretion of endorphins. In the case of chili peppers, the spicier the pepper, the more endorphins are secreted. The release of endorphins upon ingestion of chocolate likely explains the comforting feelings that many people associate with this food and the craving for chocolate in times of stress.

Chocolate for that enhanced secretion of Endorphines and coconut for that buzz!!

*tears into an Almond Joy* lck

shhowl WOO!! I fell no pain!!

Image OW!! I felt that!! Who threw the duckie?!?

Silver
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silver »

So what's the majority conclusion here? Pain at first, maybe a significant amount, but counteracted by endorphines? And therefore a bit addictive like exercise?
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Silver wrote:So what's the majority conclusion here? Pain at first, maybe a significant amount, but counteracted by endorphines? And therefore a bit addictive like exercise?
That sounds about right to me. Even to a veteran WW, the shift woud still be significantly painful. However, they would usually be too exited, focused and/or juiced up to notice.

*Non-WW confidant commenting about watching a Veteran WW shift*-- "HOLY S***!!!...doesn't that hurt?"

*VWW after reverting to human form*-- "Hunh??...oh, yeah, I guess. You get used to it after a while. Never thought I would though. I nearly passed out the first time."

=^.^'= ~
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Silver wrote:So what's the majority conclusion here? Pain at first, maybe a significant amount, but counteracted by endorphines? And therefore a bit addictive like exercise?
As I have mentioned elsewhere, I'm not really a fan of exceptionally painful transformations. I do know, however, that some out there really look forward to the transformation scenes, and I would not deny them a dramatic experience.

In any case, I favor your conclusion.

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Well, there is a saying. "No pain no gain" It may be painfull at first, but your body gets use to it.

My arm was sore for a while when I was tossing a football to my nephew last month during a picnic. (Its been a while since I did that.) Now it doesn't hurt at all when I throw the football to my nephew when he comes to see me.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Tense. ...stiff...with aching muscles and joints all over.

Slightly light headed and disconnected from the body...numb...like that is not really your skin but something you are wearing.

Lightly nauxious with a pins and needles sensation spreading throughout the body, making all hairs stand on end...goosebumps...

...sort of twitchy...pumped...like an electical current is running through, and the sensation of every movement is amplified.

...an empty feeling...the body feels too light...too small. Just...wrong ...but it is feeling more right with each passing moment.

Exitement...anticipation... ... as if asleep untill then, but now truely feeling Awake.

...no longer numb... Burning...the touch of heat, cold, pain...returns to the body, spreading from the inside and extending outward ...pushing ...extending beyond where the body ends.

...a ghost sensation of what what could be... what should be... what will be... what is becomming...
I like that description :D

Also what ScottG said about pain in the feet, hands, head, teeth, and tailbone area. Achy but with better senses throughout the day. And excitement.
Arania
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Arania »

I always envisioned that a werewolf would be able to know if the moon was rising soon even if there was no clear way of seeing it (be it inside, heavy cloudcover, etc) - their nerves would be on edge, and they would grow incredibly restless - hard to sit still - hard to concentrate on anything for more than a few moments. If you've over gotten really jazzed on caffeine and then had to sit through a class, think of something like that. Then a kind of pringling all over the body - almost a tangible pressure welling up from within the chest - a pressure that spreads to the rest of the body... and then, for a new werewolf/uncontrolled werewolf/ etc, extreme pain as the body begins to shift... I could see a more seasoned werewolf either getting used to the pain or it not hurting as much as the body becomes more accustomed to it.
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

I've always been a bit baffled by the pain that is so popular in books and movies. What causes pain, normally? When cells are damaged, they send pain signals to the nerves, or sometimes when the nerves themselves are damaged, it REALLY hurts. So, if werewolf transformations were painful, this would imply that cells were being damaged. And, since the process of changing a person into a wolf would have to subject nearly every cell in the body to the same kind of process, then a painful transformation would imply that nearly every cell in a person's body got damaged.
Frankly, if a person were damaged that badly, it is unlikely that they would survive one shift, let alone a whole bunch of them. If a werewolf transformation were possible at all, it would have to be by some process that caused little or no damage to the body. Otherwise, all you have is a bunch of dead first-time werewolves.
Of course, the process of transformation would almost certainly feel like something, and perhaps that something would be unpleasant in a way other than pain. I could believe that it might make werewolves feel like they were being held down and tickled all over, or like they might throw up. I could also believe that the feelings might be very pleasurable. Perhaps there is a rush of adrenalin and a warm glow. I could also believe that it would mix pleasant and unplesant feelings, perhaps as in alternating between feeling way too hot and feeling pleasantly drunk.
Of course, "realism" aside, it might be quite funny if werewolves did not feel anything in conjunction with a shift. Someone could be walking around with hairy hands or fangs for a couple of minutes before noticing, and that could be neat.
I do feel that the extreme pain angle has been overused, probably because of "The Howling". Ironically, in that movie, the pain was kind of an accident. They had originally wanted to make smooth transitions without pain, but then they couldn't perfect the transformation special effects. Things looked kind of jerky. Then, they tried putting sound effects over the jerky parts that resembled bones snapping, and the transformations suddenly looked a lot more realistic. The jerky quality now looked as if it was supposed to be there.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

I quite agree Jamie. Tim Albee and myself were talking about that not long ago. We both feel kind of the same way, that pain with a shift, isn't so much pain, as much as fear.

The first time someone bungee jumps, they might be scared as hell.. hence, first shift, you might expect it to hurt, its wild, the sensations are overwhelming, and so pain becomes more prevelant.

But after a while, once you get used to it.. once you've bungee jumped several times, its really quite a rush. The pain gives way to a wild undescribable sensation.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Jamie wrote:I've always been a bit baffled by the pain that is so popular in books and movies. What causes pain, normally? When cells are damaged, they send pain signals to the nerves, or sometimes when the nerves themselves are damaged, it REALLY hurts. So, if werewolf transformations were painful, this would imply that cells were being damaged. And, since the process of changing a person into a wolf would have to subject nearly every cell in the body to the same kind of process, then a painful transformation would imply that nearly every cell in a person's body got damaged...
Well, look at it from another perspective...
Have you ever had wisdom teeth?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Apokryltaros wrote:Well, look at it from another perspective...
Have you ever had wisdom teeth?
...or "growing pains"?...

...that was bone cell growth...not damage...and yet I can tell you from personal experience, bone growth hurts like HELL!!... Image

...as for why it is "popular". Hmmm... It's sort of a balance thing, I think.

Transforming into a beast as powerful as a Werewolf has to come with an equivilant price. ...Sufficient pain to make the person think twice about transforming just feels natural. Without that concequence, Lycanthropy just seems like too much of an "uber" power...especially if we are taking away the "full moon fever" blood-lust as well.

=^.^'= ~
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Vuldari wrote: ...or "growing pains"?...
While it's true that painful/agonizing transformations are commonly depicted, all of the painless transformations (in stories I've read) make me think that the lycanthrope is undergoing a total-body orgasm.
Somehow, I don't find that to be terribly appealing.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Apokryltaros wrote:While it's true that painful/agonizing transformations are commonly depicted, all of the painless transformations (in stories I've read) make me think that the lycanthrope is undergoing a total-body orgasm.
Somehow, I don't find that to be terribly appealing.
I agree with you 101% on that point Apokrylatros.

...I am definately turned off by the "wet dream"/Orgasmic interpretation of a transformation.

If it is going to be "painless", it should still be a considerably uncomfortable experience none the less.
Jamie wrote:...Of course, the process of transformation would almost certainly feel like something, and perhaps that something would be unpleasant in a way other than pain. I could believe that it might make werewolves feel like they were being held down and tickled all over, or like they might throw up...I could also believe that it would mix pleasant and unplesant feelings, perhaps as in alternating between feeling way too hot and feeling pleasantly drunk...
...indeed...forced muscle contractions...odd physical sensations, (from "tickling" to "tearing")...nausia...Heat...shivers...

...NOT at all pleasant physical sensations in and of themselves. ...UNTILL the person becomes familiar with them, and then learns to enjoy the uncomforable feelings, because they go hand in hand with an emotional RUSH.

It feels Good because you know it means that something "good" and "exiting" is happening.

...not because it feels like a supernatural Orgasm...Image

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

ABrownrigg wrote:
The first time someone bungee jumps, they might be scared as hell.. hence, first shift, you might expect it to hurt, its wild, the sensations are overwhelming, and so pain becomes more prevelant.

But after a while, once you get used to it.. once you've bungee jumped several times, its really quite a rush. The pain gives way to a wild undescribable sensation.

Heh, I compared it to a 1st jump out of an airplane.