Tattoos

The place for anything at all...
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Reading about age considerations:

No reputable artist will tattoo you if you're under 18. Some won't do you if you're under 21. I've met a couple who won't do anyone under 25 because they suspect peer pressure and don't want anyone coming back in 2-3 years bitching about the tattoo their buddies railroaded them into and blaming the artist. Personally, if I was a tattoo artist I wouldn't take anyone under 25, either.

Most artists won't do obvious places like the face or hands. I wanted one that goes down onto my hand and my artist talked me out of it.

Everyone knows that you can't have visible tattoos and work for Disney (unless you're an Imagineer — then, anything goes) but the same is true for Costco, believe it or not.

Abroad: tattoos are frowned on in Japan, believe it or not. Then again, most people who get tattoos there are Yakuza and I can understand where the sentiment comes from. Imagine if the only people who got tattoos here were the Crips and the Bloods.

If you're in an Arabic country, and thinking about getting a tattoo, forget it. They don't frown on them — in fact, tattooing is a thousands-year-old tradition in Egypt — but they DON'T sterilize. Their take is, if you're a virtuous person Allah will protect you from getting diseased. If you get a tattoo and get AIDS or hep, then you're an evil person and to hell with you, literally.
ImageImageImageImage
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

Well, that sucks.
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Resident Chakat

Post by Short Tail »

vrikasatma wrote:Short Tail, regarding the black light tattoo:

My artist told me that the glow material used is phosphorus-based, which the body metabolizes as a nutrient. In a few years, your tattoo wouldn't glow anymore and just leave you with the scar, which can't be reworked with non-glow ink (all tattoos leave scars, the better artists minimize it but if you look close you'll see it).
I don't know if he has heard of one of the other types of UV ink, but the ink I am looking is not based on phosphorus.

The ingredients of Chameleon UV Tattoo Inks: (PMMA) Polymethylmethacrylate 97.5% and microspheres of fluorescent dye 2.5% suspended in UV sterilized, distilled water with no preservatives or other additives.
The fluorescent dyes are totally NON-carcinogenic, it does NOT contain phosphors, it is NOT radio active, it does NOT glow in the dark.

- It contains NO phosphors
- It is NOT radio active
- It DOES NOT contain EverGlow
- It does NOT cause cancer
- It has FDA approval as a Spectral Marking [tattoo] Pigment that was developed for use in tracking [tattooing] animals and fish - and yes the same ones we eat, and has been tested and used with NO adverse reaction in humans for over 10 years.
- the florescent dye is completely safe and has NO carcinogen and is human safe and does not spread or “blow out” because the dye is contained and it never even touches the skin because of the PMMA shell.
These are the main points I have found while researching the ink and these facts come straight from the supplier (http://www.crazychameleonbodyartsupply. ... q-main.htm)

If he knows specific information contrary to this, I would love to hear about it :)
"War is over if you want it to be. Imagine all the people living life in peace." - John & Yoko
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Okay, my information is being rewritten. Then again, when I first heard/made inquiries, it was back in the '90s and that was probably what they used back then and got complaints.

[Visualizing a return to "GITD" tattoo inks as an option]
Coolness! 8) I'm gonna ask Bonnie Jean if she can put some into my Benandanti armpiece when she finishes it...glow-in-the-dark stars and swirls in the clouds and Moon Goddess would be righteous.
ImageImageImageImage
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Your going to have to post some pictures of them :)
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Resident Chakat

Post by Short Tail »

Also on that site is a listing of all the parlors that order their ink so you can look your state up and see if there is one near you. That sounds like a cool addition vrikasatma, but remember they only glow under black lights :D the ones that glow in the dark are the ones that are dangerous since they use everglow or phosphorus
"War is over if you want it to be. Imagine all the people living life in peace." - John & Yoko
Alexus
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Alexus »

I have one tattoo of a phoenix on my left shoulder blade. Got it about three years ago. I did not feel pain, only some discomfort and it was done in about half an hour. It’s not colour so I can easily cover it up with make up if I don’t want it to be visible. Don’t regret getting it but I’m not planning on having more.
Wyla
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Singing dog

Post by Wyla »

As I'm only 16 at the moment I am planning to wait a fair few years until I get a tat.
I've got one design sketched up that I like, but I'm going to see if I change my mind on it over the two years I have. That way I'll (hopefully) be certain that I do or do not want it ;)
Nyoom:
http://www.deviantart.com/view/29512510/
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Should I get one of these?:

http://www.emperortattoos.com/

:D
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: The Striding Stranger

Post by Grayheart »

In wildness is the preservation of the world
So seek the wolf in thyself!

(Metallica - Of Wolf and Man)
Xaltar
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xaltar »

Cool tat, its always nicer when you designed it yourself :wink:

Although I didn't design mine it was very close to one I did design (it looked better) so I went for it. I couldn't be happier with it.

Who cares if other people like you tat, ultimately the only person who has to like it is you. If you only get a tat because other people like it then you got it for the wrong reasons. Tattoos are a form of personal expression and should mean something special to you.

I will post a pic of mine once the batteries in my camera are charged, you can kinda see it in the pic I posted in the pics thread in non were stuff :wink:
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

I just got an inspiration to get two Guardians on my inner thighs, protecting the Temple.

On the right leg, my character Redpaws the Wolfsnake, on the left a rampant Sea-Wolf, Fire balanced with Water. If a man makes love to me, then dishonours me, next time he comes to the Temple my Guardians will claw him. (Did I mention I believe in tattoo magick?)

Beautiful work, Grayheart :) I saw that over in the "Post Your Picture" thread.
ImageImageImageImage
Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: The Striding Stranger

Post by Grayheart »

Pilamaya, vrikasatma and Xaltar! (Pilamaya is Lakota and means 'I thank you' :wink: - and no, I'm no Lakota, just love to learn foreign languages)

I needed several days to make it ... and I already have the inspiration for more tattoos ... even draw the next ones I wanna have already ... two bearclaws for my shoulders with my name-runes inside the 'palms' ... and the bearclaws represent the spirit of my birth-rune in the same time ...

Well, the dragon is just the first piece of a big plan to honor my spirits with sacrificing my skin to them who guard me ... Dragon was first, 'cause he's ... well, he's dragon ... and my guardian to the right ... I was 21 when I got the dragon tattooed ... and I believe that 21 is the 'dragon-number' ... 'cause 3 is the number of luck and 7 is the number of magic ... so three times seven ... or seven times three ... is the dragon number (was this nearly comprehensible ?? )

Uhh ... I'm babbling ... well, in the end what I wanted to say about tattoos: I agree completely with Xaltar - a tat should mean something special to you. Mine will be the expression of my connection with my spirits, my gift to them ...

Oh, there comes one anecdote to my mind connected with my tattoo: First thing my mother said to me -

"Uh, well, this is big! How will this look with your wedding dress?"

Do I have to say more
:roll:
In wildness is the preservation of the world
So seek the wolf in thyself!

(Metallica - Of Wolf and Man)
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

I have a dragon guardian on my right wrist, too. I got him on the waxing half-moon. The first thing my Mom said was, "Why?" I told her that after Dad died, I needed something that I knew would be there when I woke up the next morning. I said, "When that tattoo goes away, I have nothing left to lose." It's been downhill from there :)

Argh! So many tattoos! So little money!!! :cry:
ImageImageImageImage
Rex Wolfskin
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by Rex Wolfskin »

I'm getting tattoos, as soon as i'm 18 .
Don't know for sure how much I want, but there are already a few I must have :) .
Last edited by Rex Wolfskin on Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
theMoonlite
Legendary
Legendary

Post by theMoonlite »

I want to get the Pack symbol on me somewhere, when I get older. The age is 18, right? If so, only 4 more years to go. Where should I get it? It'd probably be small, the tattoo.

*mexican hat dance*

:idea2:

I noticed there weren't any mexican hat dance icons. We should get one. Yep.

-nods slowly-
Evanstar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Known to Bite

Post by Evanstar »

I have three tattoo's. The first took me 5 years to finally get, it's the unicorn from the movie box art from the original 1986 poster of legend. I love that picture (it's just the unicorn and steam around it) and decided if I still wanted it after 5 years, it was meant to be. It took maybe 2 and a half hours, I personally didn't find it painful just annoying after the two hour mark.
I also have the tramp (from lady and the tramp) on my right hip and the chinese character for family on my left. I'm not sure if that's all for me or not for now. If you want a tatoo badly enough, you will eventually get it, no need to rush.
FireStorm
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Wolfs Vampire lover

Post by FireStorm »

I have 3 tattoos. A devil on my chest, a Panther on my left shoulder and the cartouche of Isis on my lower back. I think if you are going to get a tattoo you need to get something that is important or symbolises something to you not just something that looks cool or pretty. Each of my tattoos has a meaning the panther is my spirit animal, Isis is my Goddess and the devil...well that's much more private so I think I will keep that to myself....I would never get a persons name except my children's when I have them...never a partners name though.