scars?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

scars?

Post by Kzinistzerg »

I'm aware that it would be hard for a werewolf to get scars, but what if they already have them when they get bitten?
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Then, they would continue to have them, i would think. :D
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

So far, I have been going along with the idea that the rapid-growth/regenerative abilities of a werewolf would make scars dissapear, but suddenly, I don't see why that would be anymore.
For example, superficial scars:

Human skin is constantly being recycled. The skin cells on your arms and legs right now are not the same ones that you had six months ago. One might assume then that any marks you have on your body would be shed with your dead skin within a year, and yet, that does not happen. Growth does not remove scars, (or Tattoos for that matter). I'm not sure why...but I guess that is just how it works. Therefore, I don't see why the rapid growth that occurs durring a shift would have any different results. Closing wounds is one thing...erasing scars is something else entirely.

Does anyone with any real knowlage of dermal biology have something to add? (Or any corrections of mis-information? ...I make false assumptions alot. Image)
Last edited by Vuldari on Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

We have determined that werewolves can regenerate, and that that regeneration is heightened during the transformation, but to what degree?

Is the healing process merely accelerated, or does actual regeneration and reformation occur?

In the case where the healing proccess is accelerated, I don't believe it would be any more difficult for a werewolf to receive a scar than, say, a normal human. The only difference is the amount of time it takes for that scar tissue to form. Arguably, as scars tend to very, very slowly disappear after a long period of time, werewolves might not have their scars for nearly as long.

In the case where actual regeneration occurs, I imagine that all of the werewolf's scars would disappear entirely--both the old and the new. But, realistically, this would mean that new limbs should reform as well, and such.

Now, which is it?
:lol:

Here is my take:

I don't think there is an answer that is perfectly logical. How can you logically describe a process that is so illogical? Regeneration in the magnitude we are speaking of really doesn't make sense.

In order to heal, you need blood to clot, phagocytes to clean, histamines for vasodilation, oxygen, and a host of other things. In order to split, cells need lipids, proteins / amino acids, deoxyribonucleic acid, etc. In order for bones to extend, you need calcium and other minerals to build them up. And all these things can only be transferred to the site at a certain rate. The only way I can see to address this issue is to say that the rate of bloodflow is also significantly increased such that approximately the same amount of blood flows by the wound as would if the healing were occurring at a normal rate. But this means the heart-rate is also greatly(!) accelerated. If the heart is accelerated, then it only makes sense that everything else is as well (lest the heart explode by friction, for example).

But this is going too far. The werewolf in this situation would not perceive that his wounds were healing at a greater rate because his mind and body would be working at the same rate. Thus, he could move, act and react significantly faster than those around him. Furthermore, if shifting is extremely painful, what non-masochistic werewolf would want to spend what they would perceive as months--or even a year or more--experiencing such pain?

Thus, we are limited in the amount of logic that we can apply to the situation.

Because of this, I would say it really is a moot point as to whether a werewolf would completely regenerate or merely heal really fast, as neither is really possible. It's a matter of preference. My point of view would be that complete regeneration is too extreme, lending to the idea of regrowing limbs and immortality, etc. Likewise, however, accelerated healing doesn't cut it either, as it leaves much of the shifting process unexplained.

My ideal view would lean towards accelerated healing. It seems more reasonable to me. I don't think scars should be completely healed over, and I think new wounds should leave just as much of a scar as if they had healed at a normal rate.

-- Vilkacis

EDIT: Small errors
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I knw werewolves have regenerative abilities but Ithink they would stay.

I think the skin stays similai thrugh the forms. frce the skin may be different but therwise it seems t be just stretching over the body in the differnt forms. So the skin isn't going to change much. I also under scars dont seem to go.I got a scar on my thumb from a tape dispense when I was very litle. In fourth grade I got a scar on my thumb from a fork (fun and scary story) and last summer my leg was cut open frm a lisence plate when retreiving my cat. They arre all still there. I have grown bigger, my skin has shed, peeled, and gne through the recycling process and they are there. Whih I beleive is because of the nerves?
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Beastofgaia
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Beastofgaia »

for a WW, the scars could only caused by important lesions of the derm... if an other WW hurt him or if silver weapon hurts a garou... all the others wounds could cicatrisate fastly... to resume, onlu the wounds caused by mystical source could hurt for a longtime a garou...
- She the Mother of all things... we are her sons and she take care of our live... I will howl this night in order to open my heart to her...
Arania
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Arania »

Beastofgaia, I haven't been in these forums long myself either, but every single post you've made so far has referred to "Garou" and tied in implicietly matter-of-factly to the white wolf mythos, which is not the be all and end all of werewolf facts.
Please keep in mind that this movie is not a World of Darkness movie, and inspiration is coming from MANY sources, as well as a general consensus of how dedicated werewolf fans view them, not what has been published in one copyrighted source.
Xodiac
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xodiac »

It makes sense to me that any permanent deficiencies a person had prior to becoming a werewolf would remain unhealed. A man with a bad leg becomes a wolf with a bad leg. A woman with a scar from surgery would become a wolf with appropriate scars. And so on. Becoming a werewolf is not a cure-all.
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Beastofgaia, I haven't been in these forums long myself either, but every single post you've made so far has referred to "Garou" and tied in implicietly matter-of-factly to the white wolf mythos, which is not the be all and end all of werewolf facts.
Please keep in mind that this movie is not a World of Darkness movie, and inspiration is coming from MANY sources, as well as a general consensus of how dedicated werewolf fans view them, not what has been published in one copyrighted source.
I'd a gree, we are MAKING the ultimate werewolf,not REmaking.
It makes sense to me that any permanent deficiencies a person had prior to becoming a werewolf would remain unhealed. A man with a bad leg becomes a wolf with a bad leg. A woman with a scar from surgery would become a wolf with appropriate scars. And so on. Becoming a werewolf is not a cure-all.
I'd agree also. I really hope it cures baldness.
Arania
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Arania »

Though I COULD see lycanthropy curing "ongoing" issues - such as terminal diseases, illness, or fresh wounds.

I agree with old injuries, amputations, etc, remaining so.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Yes. While changing musculature of a werewolf is very different that just healing, i don't think it would be so complete as to regroew a limb. transforming is changing and modifing stuff, not adding new on. Yes, you might think it is but as far as i can tell it's really modidfying stuff... but what would wolves have that we don't in a modified from? (oh, right, tail vertrabrae. but we have a tail bone.)
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

I agree the tail is going to be the only whole new thing grown. So we'll have to have a peg legged werewolf. (Arr Wolfies!)
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Mitosis, your ptosis, and everyone else's

Post by Scott Gardener »

In my storyline, lycanthropy in the mid-21st century is a medical marvel that cures all kinds of problems, ranging from chronic pain to coronary artery disease. It puts a lot of drug companies out of business, thus adding to the many social and economic upheavals it represents.

That's because of the molecular ramifications of regeneration. There's no biological means of explaining to the body whether a scar predates or post-dates an infection. An old scar is different from a fresh one, so one could biologically justify old injuries persisting. And, my own version of lycanthropy doesn't replace amputations, lost eyes, etc.; the missing parts are absent in both forms, since my werewolves just stretch and reshape individual cells, rather than rearranging them and making new ones.

Note that a werewolf whose cells do rearrange, move, and divide / multiply might have a delay between when one shifts and when one can shift again, if there's a pre-shift series of cellular divisions needed beforehand to allow a fast transformation. Good plot device, and justifiable. Mine don't have that problem, but it's a cool idea for limiting an otherwise powerful character.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Some of the older ones might remain due to discoloration, but regardless of how good the werewolf's regenerative capabilities are, most scars would likely be healed over due to the constant stretching/reducing of the skin that comes with going from human to gestalt form and vice versa. Only a really big one would survive the change (like the one Sagat from Street Fighter had), but chances are that, while it might carry over to the gestalt form, it would eventually be reduced in size with every reversion back to human form.

The only exception to the rule I could think of would be tatoos, being that they are the result of ink under the skin as opposed to the scar made to put it there. They'd probably look distorted in the were form (assuming they aren't covered by the fur), but if the shift goes as it should, the werewolf should still have his ink when he reverts back.
silverpaw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: I Bite, You've Been Warned ^_^

Post by silverpaw »

hmmm tattoo eh? say if a werewolf really wanted to get rid of it he could likescratch it off?nad regenerate the skin as he changes back? painful yes but in times of desperation some things happen. :(

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

silverpaw wrote:hmmm tattoo eh? say if a werewolf really wanted to get rid of it he could likescratch it off?nad regenerate the skin as he changes back? painful yes but in times of desperation some things happen. :(
Assuming he didn't scratch too deep, yes (I still think a werewolf gould regrow a limb over a year or two, but I know I'm among the few in that respect, sooooo...). If he just scratched off the skin, it would leave on hell of a scar, after enough shifts from human to gestalt and back, the wound would eventually close back up. If he dug too deep and took out a piece of flesh, on the other hand, that might not heal up so well.
silverpaw
Legendary
Legendary

Post by silverpaw »

hehehe yeah i forgot to mention the extreme pain and possible gigantic scar :lol: :lol: bring on the pain :x :lol:

outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

I would love, but barf, to see someone scrath of their tatoo! Its not really going to happen, but there are lazers to take off tatoos.
silverpaw
Legendary
Legendary

Post by silverpaw »

hehehe well lazers cost heaps and takes a year or something to remove and sometimes it doesnt remove fully. So myself( not that id get one) eoither keep it pay for removal or get pissed and scratch it off (doubt its gunna happen) mmm good ole blood seeping outta your arm :lol: