Bark or No Bark?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Re: A thought

Post by Figarou »

RedEye wrote:In a situation where a Were wanted to scare someone away, but not give up the Secret, I think barking would work.
I'd rather see him growl instead. :P

RedEye wrote:The person receiving these ministrations would think DOG, not WOLF, and surely not Werewolf.

Hmm....that depends. I know there is a difference between a big dog and a little dog barking.

There could be a difference between a big dog and a werewolf barking. Unless the werewolf knows how to sound like a small dog. :wink:
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Barking is just fun to do, thats why werewolves do it! :woof:

I think they would yip and growl and snarl and howl too. (im a poet!) :D
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I just saw a wolf documentary at my friends house and I just heard one wolf bark a little bit. :o
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
forsaken_wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Present of Darkness

Post by forsaken_wolf »

Well its hard to say but I think a werewolf GROWLING would be better, but then there is a bark well actually a woof woof, but I would say it would be better for a WW to growl, cause it sounds more scary or threatening to another WW or a human being and you know what I mean.

And it would be better if there was no bark, and it would probably sound weird or something if it were to bark.
"lolis"
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
ELÄIN
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Dominant/Submissive Female

Barking?

Post by ELÄIN »

Wovles kinda bark, but not like dogs as many have mentioned.. they may yep and make sounds to help communtacate other then Howling and growling(which I think is way more common in a werewolf.. and maybe an ocassionaly yeping sound..) .. but i don't really see werewolfs barking... it would seem kinda funny.. and more domesticated dog which a werewolf is not
“Tears are due to human misery, and human sufferings touch the mind.”
wolf_demon_666
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by wolf_demon_666 »

it should be more of a growl (think about Bad Moon)
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Caine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Caine »

Actaully, they do bark, but it defenitely doesn't sound like the bark of a dog. My family actually owns 4 hybrid wolves (1/4 wolf) and they do indeed make barking sounds when communicating with each other.

These barking sounds are more like short yips and half growl, half bark sounds, not full blown guard dog barks. Actaully, it sounds really cool at night. The 4 animals are seperated from each other but they still communicate through howls and barking*.

But no, its not like the traditional bark of a dog in anyway. :howl:  :oo
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

It sounds like this.

Post by Set »

Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Caine wrote:Actaully, they do bark, but it defenitely doesn't sound like the bark of a dog. My family actually owns 4 hybrid wolves (1/4 wolf) and they do indeed make barking sounds when communicating with each other.

These barking sounds are more like short yips and half growl, half bark sounds, not full blown guard dog barks. Actaully, it sounds really cool at night. The 4 animals are seperated from each other but they still communicate through howls and barking*.

But no, its not like the traditional bark of a dog in anyway. :howl:  :oo
Those are, like you said, hybrids.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Human is walking along when he hears "Bow-Wow".
Curious, human investigates.
Werewolf grabs him and says "Look, Idiot, I'm trying to sound like a dog."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

So stop being stubborn. It's beginning to get annoying.

Post by Set »

Morkulv wrote:
Caine wrote:But no, its not like the traditional bark of a dog in anyway. :howl:  :oo
Those are, like you said, hybrids.
The animal in the link I posted isn't. That's pure wolf.

And they sure as hell are capable of barking. :woof:
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

Im goin to go with yes they can bark.But not under the same reasons that a dog would bark. Maybe communication within there own species or maybe a sign of affection between one another..... :?

( i know dogs bark to communicate w/in there own species but this would be different. (may be to communicate so that a human wouldnt understand them, almost like a foriegn language)
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

A bit growly for a bark.

A werewolf could easily bark; I believe the question is will one do so out of habit. I'd say probably not, since wolves don't usually bark, even though they can if they felt so inclined. Werewolves probably wouldn't bark just to bark.

But, they might if they were trying to say something and were still getting used to wolf mouth parts. This leads into the werewolf talking debate, which, ironically, has produced quite a bit of talk.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Scott Gardener wrote:A bit growly for a bark.

A werewolf could easily bark; I believe the question is will one do so out of habit. I'd say probably not, since wolves don't usually bark, even though they can if they felt so inclined. Werewolves probably wouldn't bark just to bark.

But, they might if they were trying to say something and were still getting used to wolf mouth parts. This leads into the werewolf talking debate, which, ironically, has produced quite a bit of talk.
That sounds about right to me.

I don't think they would ever just do it instinctively, or naturally...but should a situation arise where they had a reason to, as a signal, or to maybe frighten someone/something away...they Could. ...if they really wanted to...
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Neilak20
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Neilak20 »

I think it makes sense that they Might do so to scare someone off and get them thinking "dog" instead of "werewolf"
Could be a decent way to escape suspicision (sp)
I just wasnt sure if wolves could bark in the first place x_x
Thanks for the info ^_^
wolfman1991
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolfman1991 »

I say....can but don't.
I feel a wolf...a wolf growing inside me....getting stronger day by day.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I think WWs could bark. And would bark once in a while, like real wolves. If a pack of WWs were toghter and hanging out in full wolf/ or gestalt form, the whole spectrum of wolf communication would come into play. Barks, yelps, growls, whines, ect.
howlbigbadwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by howlbigbadwolf »

Ya i think werewolfs can do all the diffrent kinds of barks wines and grawls wolfs can do, why not werepart wolf. I would bark and snap at people just to scare them silly and grawl. If i was with a female i would use low grawls to let her know i like her, girls like that 8) just like wemen like a guy with a deep voice it's a thing :lol:
I live for the Moon
If you love werewolfs and Comics http://www.alphaluna.net/index.php
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/adult/home.html
geekboy1500
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lover of Life

Post by geekboy1500 »

If the werewolf is talking in Gesalt [in my version of werewolves at least] then all they really have to get around is the muzzle, if they're in full wolf form they've got to go through a completely different ribcage structure, radically different esophagus structure and other atomical differences that i am too tired to think of right now :P
The Think Geek Annoy-o-Tron, insanity in convenient attractive box.
neoritter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Dogfighter

Post by neoritter »

Lupin wrote:Wolves can bark, they just don't do it with the frequency or volume that dogs do.
Wolves bark about as much as dogs do. It may sound differently, different breeds of dogs do sound different. Its just we normally don't see or picture wolves in a laid back social setting that much. If you ever watch a discovery channel documentary on wolves, you will see them barking when they are together in a social setting.
Moon_Lover
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Look, Ma! He's smiling!"

Post by Moon_Lover »

The only time anything like a bark would come across (and even then, it's a stretch) is if the werewolf is laughing in gesalt form.
Like I said, it's a strech, but that's the closest I can think of.
You can run, you can hide, but I'll still pounce on you and lick you silly.
neoritter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Dogfighter

Post by neoritter »

Moon_Lover wrote:The only time anything like a bark would come across (and even then, it's a stretch) is if the werewolf is laughing in gesalt form.
Like I said, it's a strech, but that's the closest I can think of.
You say that like there are hard facts behind what you are saying. I haven't heard any audio of an actual werewolf have you?