Other were creatures?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Aki wrote:
Ralith wrote:
greniar wrote::? did anyone bother to think up a different origin for other therianthropes(thats animal people in greek for those who dont know)
*Ahem*
Therianthropy in fact refers to a certain uncommon set of spiritual beliefs, and therianthropes those who have then. Google if you want to know more, and please do your research next time :P
Er. Actually...he is kinda right.

Therianthrope is a Animal-person in the same sense Lycanthrope means Wolf-person. Therian = Therios = Greek for 'Animal'. Thrope = Anthros/anthro/whatever = Human/person/whatever.

You're both right, its just that he's using a different meaning. He's meaning what the word itself means more than what its used to describe nowadays.

:wink:

ya that's what it means trust me on this, Aki has it right and stuff but we're getting off topic but who cares ive gone off topic to many times to count :| 8)
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

I'm curious about were-insects. :p
Kisota

Post by Kisota »

Werewolf: *walking* Doo-da-doo-doo...*smoosh* Oops, sorry, Joe. :lol:

I'm not sure if were-insects would be very common. The vast differences between a human brain and an insect one would be EXTREMELY difficult to meld.
And what would their "trigger" be? Sugar falling on the ground? :P

Interesting thought, though.
Ratha
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

cool

Post by Ratha »

i think that there can be all kinds of weres, but for the movie references should only be made to common legends and maybe one character in the movie that is still canine, like an African who's a wild dog or an Australian who's a dingo. That's it. Any farther and they will have to open up a new thread dedicated to discussing how they'll look like.
Lycanthrope
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lycanthrope »

If it's about the wereinsects... Some time ago I had the following idea:

Such creatures as bees create amazingly organised societies. Only in number they can survive numerous threats of their surroundings and so, they have achieved computer like cooperation. In Terry Pratchet's books the hive is actually one organysm. Could a shapeshifter turn into a legion-minded swarm of bees?

As Kiba mentioned, acquiring mindset of an insect would cause unimaginable changes in human's psyche. What if you additionally divide the mind into hundreds of separate fragments? The shapeshifter could choose nothing between rejecting the therianthropy and giving in to it. The second choice would make such person lose every bit of his humanity - psychical and physical.

Lungs used for storing honey and skull being the shelter for the winter might sound funny but think seriously about it.
yugiohfreak
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: Pack leader

Post by yugiohfreak »

My favorite creatures other than were-wolves is were-foxes and were-tigers. I just love those! :D
"Yugi, if I had a dime for every time you said the word destiny, well, I'd be even richer than I was already." - Seto Kaiba
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Lycanthrope wrote:If it's about the wereinsects... Some time ago I had the following idea:

Such creatures as bees create amazingly organised societies. Only in number they can survive numerous threats of their surroundings and so, they have achieved computer like cooperation. In Terry Pratchet's books the hive is actually one organysm. Could a shapeshifter turn into a legion-minded swarm of bees?

As Kiba mentioned, acquiring mindset of an insect would cause unimaginable changes in human's psyche. What if you additionally divide the mind into hundreds of separate fragments? The shapeshifter could choose nothing between rejecting the therianthropy and giving in to it. The second choice would make such person lose every bit of his humanity - psychical and physical.

Lungs used for storing honey and skull being the shelter for the winter might sound funny but think seriously about it.
Okay...

...umm... Image

I think I'm going to have nightmares about that now. :shudder:
yugiohfreak
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by yugiohfreak »

Actually, it is possible. Each of the bees would be like a certain part of their personality. They being the shifter, that is... :)
"Yugi, if I had a dime for every time you said the word destiny, well, I'd be even richer than I was already." - Seto Kaiba
yugiohfreak
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by yugiohfreak »

And by the way, I'm trying to get one of those damn pictures, but it won't let me! How in the name of Ra do I get one?!? ??
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

yugiohfreak wrote:And by the way, I'm trying to get one of those damn pictures, but it won't let me! How in the name of Ra do I get one?!? ??
What do you Mean?

If you are trying to get an "AVATAR" image. (The picture below your name), you have to go into the "Profile" Section and scroll down to the bottom.

There you can insert an image two different ways. ONE...if you have a picture on your hard-drive that is 150-150 pixels or less, and less than 10 kb. , you can upload it dirrectly to the forum and use that. If you want to use an image that is of a larger size, then you must upload it to a host site, such as Image Shack and then post the "DIRRECT LINK" to the image in the "Link to off site Avatar" box.

For example, the link to my avatars image is:

... http://img446.imageshack.us/img446/7015/fox14pg.jpg ...

I hope that helps.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
yugiohfreak
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by yugiohfreak »

...I think...

You got to realize that a redneck were-wolf is trying to figure out this computer contraption...
yugiohfreak
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by yugiohfreak »

Ra damnit! :x I can't figure it out! Okay, so let me get this straigt...

In the first box, the one that says Uploade Avatar from your machine, I"m supposed to put what I have it saved too? Like, here is the one I'm trying to get that I saved in Microsoft Word: C:\Documents and Settings\hueyguy\My Documents\Elizabeth\Yugioh rocks hard.gif ??

And in the second box, I think I have to put either www.deviantart.com, or www.photobucket.com or something like that. ??

And in the third box, I'm supposed to put this? :http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v20/w ... tled-1.gif ??

Note: It's the same picture, but this thing is REALLY starting to piss me off...
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

yugiohfreak wrote:Ra damnit! :x I can't figure it out! Okay, so let me get this straigt...

In the first box, the one that says Uploade Avatar from your machine, I"m supposed to put what I have it saved too? Like, here is the one I'm trying to get that I saved in Microsoft Word: C:\Documents and Settings\hueyguy\My Documents\Elizabeth\Yugioh rocks hard.gif ??

And in the second box, I think I have to put either www.deviantart.com, or www.photobucket.com or something like that. ??

And in the third box, I'm supposed to put this? :http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v20/w ... tled-1.gif ??

Note: It's the same picture, but this thing is REALLY starting to piss me off...
You only need to use ONE of the three boxes. They are three different ways to do it.

First...if the image file is less than 10kb, try the first box. (Click "Browse", find the picture you want, select it, and then click the "Submit" button at the bottom of the Profile page.

If that does not work, but you still want to use that image:

1* go to ImageShack, browse to the image again, "upload" it, and then when it gives you a bunch of links, find the one that says "Dirrect link to image", copy that, and paste/copy it into the third box that says "Link to off-site avatar".

or

2*Go to a page like Photobucket or Deviantart where the image allready exists, get the dirrect link. (try right-clicking, select "properties" from the menu, and copy the image "location" ...paste that into the third box...

... and then click "Submit" at the bottom of the page. Then it should work.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
yugiohfreak
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by yugiohfreak »

Okay, now I think I get it...
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Keep in mind only certain websites allow direct linking. ImageShack and Photobucket do, but Deviant Art does not.
yugiohfreak
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by yugiohfreak »

No wonder it didn't work... Damn... :(
Ultraken
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ultraken »

You also shouldn't use an image that large as your avatar. The 150x150, 10KB limit exists for a reason. :D
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I admit I haven't ready every response so I'm not sure if this has been covered or not, but it might be worth mentioning that how variating lycanthropes get along with each other may depend on why the two lycanthropes are different.

I forget where I mentioned this initially, but I know in one of our many threads concerning werewolf maturity (namely wether children can shift or not), somebody suggested that the werewolf gene should only become active around puberty, and which I built on top of suggesting that maybe bitten werekin recieve the form of their biter, but born werewolves recieve a dormant form of lycanthropy that matures along with the child, which could result in a new form of lycanthropy (IE: two werewolves have a son who grows up to be a werecat).

If you like that definition, it really gives absolutely no reason for one form of werekind to dislike another as they could very well be directly related to each other. On the other hand, if werewolves can only have werewolves and werecats, jaguarundi etc. are in no way related other than the similarities, there may be some tension between the groups in question.
yugiohfreak
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by yugiohfreak »

This is true from a certain viewpoint. Werewolves and werecats should be able to be born of one another, because I have researched on regular wolves, and the same line they come from also hosts bears, raccons, and cats! So this statement should be a proven fact.

Now, the line also holds foxes, and among other animals, so they should be able to shift, wheter bitten or not.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

yugiohfreak wrote:This is true from a certain viewpoint. Werewolves and werecats should be able to be born of one another, because I have researched on regular wolves, and the same line they come from also hosts bears, raccons, and cats! So this statement should be a proven fact.

Now, the line also holds foxes, and among other animals, so they should be able to shift, wheter bitten or not.
All carnivore mammals are related to each other, because they're all in the order Carnivora.
There are two main lineages still alive, one being the Canine/Seal lineage, with dogs, bears, raccoons and weasels on one secondary branch, and seals, sea lions and walrus on the other, and the other main lineage being the Feline lineage, with cats, hyenas, and civets.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
yugiohfreak
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by yugiohfreak »

Meaning there are were sea creatures too, right? Like the otter and everything?
Ratha
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by Ratha »

That would be hard to picture: a wereseal. Not so much the otter, though.
yugiohfreak
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by yugiohfreak »

Hmmm... *tries to think* Your right, a wereweasel would be difficult to imagine...
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

When we run out of stuff to talk about werewolves; their will be plenty more wereanimal stuff to sort out :D We're going to need a new forum thingy or something.
yugiohfreak
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by yugiohfreak »

Why? Are we running out of topic?