The Dresden Files

The place for anything at all...
TakeWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The big one-one

The Dresden Files

Post by TakeWalker »

Dang, I need to get out on this board more often. I didn't see a books topic, so here goes.

I recently picked up an awesome series of books (that, oddly enough, my mother bought), called The Dresden Files, by Jim Butcher. The main character is the world's only practicing wizard (note: practicing), who helps out the Chicago PD with strange investigations and runs a paranormal PI business on the side. The books are well-written and engaging, and I recommend them.

Why do I mention this? Well, the second book, Fool Moon, features a number of werewolves, and they aren't all bad. In the world of these books, there are apparently four different types of werewolves, ranging the gamut from those who seek power from demons to those cursed to change under the full moon. If anyone is interested in this, I highly suggest starting with the first book, Storm Front, if only because the writing is so great. You get filled in on what happened in that book in the second, but it's better to experience it first-hand, so to speak. :lol:
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Yeah, I read Fool Moon. A very good book indeed :D I liked the ides of different types of werewolves. A good read 8)

edit- http://www.calypso-blue.com/werewolf/viewtopic.php?t=31
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Something wicked

Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, Book 2) by Jim Butcher

Post by Akugarou »

I came across this title a Waldenbooks today. The story contains werewolves. I understand the WW are pretty nasty characters.

My questions (to those who have read it):
Is this a good read?
It is part of a series. Will I have to read the first book to enjoy this one?
Would you recommend this book to friends, family, etc.?

I receive coupons from Waldenbooks on occasion, and I've thrown away more of them than I have used. Any input would be greatly appreciated, so I can determine if i want to save a coupon to use on this book.
:) 8) :)
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

http://www.calypso-blue.com/werewolf/vi ... 9c9aaa84e1

Their ya are silly wolfie :wink:

And yes, I'd recommend it to others who like supernatural kindof books. I really liked it and was able to understand/enjoy it without reading the first one. :D
TakeWalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by TakeWalker »

Hahaha, great minds think alike, and so do we!

Yes, it's great, but I suggest reading the first book, "Storm Front" first, to get the background, and because it's a really great book on its own. And then just continue reading the series (like me).
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akugarou »

I read an article where the reviewer thought there was too many references to the previous novel. One reason why I asked about the first book of the series.

Thanks Silverclaw! Thanks TakeWalker!
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

I read it just last week or so, and yeah, I could understand it just fine without having read the first installment. Good take on the werewolf legend, IMHO, although from the summary on the back cover i had expected a more humorous book in the lines of a Terry Prattchett(spl?) novel, maybe, but it still was a good read.
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

Just how many threads about this book are out there anyway? :wink:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Doruk Golcu wrote:Just how many threads about this book are out there anyway? :wink:
one...after I merge the threads. :wink:
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

Whoa! MAGIC!!!

BURN THE FIG!!!
Xodiac
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, Book 2) by Jim Butcher

Post by Xodiac »

Akugarou wrote: My questions (to those who have read it):
Is this a good read?
It is part of a series. Will I have to read the first book to enjoy this one?
Would you recommend this book to friends, family, etc.?
1: Well, *I* enjoyed it. There were a few minor problems with it, but it really was very fun. That there were several variations on "man into wolf" was a nice plot point. And it is relevant to the plot.

2: It'll help. Quite a lot. It isn't necessary, though, especially if you only plan to read this one. Each book is a complete story. You need to read earlier books to understand the story arc that Butcher is developing over the entire series, and there will be a few references to events in "Storm Front" that you won't quite get fully. But if all you want is to see a good story with werewolves, there's no real need to read the first book.

3: Yes, I would. I have. I lent it to my mom, in fact, despite her general non-interest in fantasy, because she is a big mystery buff - the main character is a wizard hiring himself out as a private eye. (She thought it was a good story but a little gory for her tastes.)

4: You mentioned that you heard the werewolves are all nasty characters. This is true, sort of. The nasty characters are very nasty indeed. But not all the werewolves are bad guys. The problem is figuring out who is who.

Go to http://xodiac.fo.cx/reviews/jbutcher2.html for my full review of it.

Xodiac
TakeWalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by TakeWalker »

I do agree that the incessant resummarizing of the previous book's events becomes wearing after a while. In fact, Fool Moon is so far the weakest book of the four I've read, mostly for that reason. Despite this, the entire series has been excellent so far. I really recommend it.
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, Book 2) by Jim Butcher

Post by Akugarou »

Xodiac wrote:Go to http://xodiac.fo.cx/reviews/jbutcher2.html for my full review of it.

Xodiac
Awesome! Thanx! :D