The place for anything at all...
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

alpha or beta?

Post by Searif »

I was just wondering if you would rather be a alpha werewolf or beta werewolf
Alpha Werewolves

Those who have been cursed or bitten by another creature are all involuntary Werewolves. They have little or no control over their changes from Man to Wolf and Wolf to Man, and are subject to phases of the Moon.

Beta Werewolves

Those who have been given the power of shape shifting through the use of ointments or charms or born to a werewolf (heredity). Passed on from generation to generation, and sometimes skipping one, the hereditary form manifests itself after the person reaches puberty. When using magic, it is quite possible for the creature to perfom amazing feats of strength and even call on surnatural and psychic powers.

For those who have acquired the "curse" through their own will, by entering into a pact with the Devil himself, the change can be done at will and even in the absence of a full moon. It is said that humans who enter into this pact do so out of desperation and often, in an effort to seek revenge for the death of a loved one.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

With great power comes ILM digital special effects

Post by Scott Gardener »

My answer is a conditional Beta:

None of us in our right mind want to be cursed with bloodlust. If lycanthropy worked like Ginger Snaps, I'd be the first to drop my name off the list. I'd debate Alpha as described above if it just meant becoming a wolf, though I suspect I'd regret getting it based on having to revise my life around it so heavily.

If "devil" crap came up, count me out. I'm a Wiccan, so I don't even believe in devils or demons per se, but I never liked the idea of making pacts with beings whose specific goals in existance are to screw people over. It's kind of a no-brainer.

Ultimately, it's a balance of how much power does one want, and how much responsibility one will accept in taking such power--the often quoted "with great power" line that Spiderman re-popularized.

I'm willing to give up enough control to affect my lifestyle somewhat, but I'm not willing to let it crash my life and turn me into a drooling monster. I suspect the same goes for most of us, even the obsessive die-hard therians here.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Re: With great power comes ILM digital special effects

Post by Searif »

Scott Gardener wrote:My answer is a conditional Beta:

None of us in our right mind want to be cursed with bloodlust. If lycanthropy worked like Ginger Snaps, I'd be the first to drop my name off the list. I'd debate Alpha as described above if it just meant becoming a wolf, though I suspect I'd regret getting it based on having to revise my life around it so heavily.

If "devil" crap came up, count me out. I'm a Wiccan, so I don't even believe in devils or demons per se, but I never liked the idea of making pacts with beings whose specific goals in existance are to screw people over. It's kind of a no-brainer.

Ultimately, it's a balance of how much power does one want, and how much responsibility one will accept in taking such power--the often quoted "with great power" line that Spiderman re-popularized.

I'm willing to give up enough control to affect my lifestyle somewhat, but I'm not willing to let it crash my life and turn me into a drooling monster. I suspect the same goes for most of us, even the obsessive die-hard therians here.
same, forgot to post mine :P
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Wolfhanyou
Legendary
Legendary

Re: With great power comes ILM digital special effects

Post by Wolfhanyou »

Scott Gardener wrote:My answer is a conditional Beta:

Decided to quote Scott because his words describe my feelings so much to a tee. <--- I didn't say that right did I? :P
Boo
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

hehe- i have to go with scott, too, but the full moon owuld be such and irritant, too- up all night and then school the next morning/ no way.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Yes, I'm with Scott also. I like to have "control" over my actions.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Yup. Beta. :P
Xodiac
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xodiac »

Hm. If you really had no control over when you transform, wouldn't that make you an Omega werewolf? :)
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Xodiac wrote:Hm. If you really had no control over when you transform, wouldn't that make you an Omega werewolf? :)
Indeed...I think the "Alpha/Beta" thing is sort of confusing. I think most of us here immediately associate "Alpha" with "leader"... "experienced" ...
...not "Cursed and Uncontrolable"...

I think it would have been more appropriate to ask?

"Would you be Werewolf Type A or Wereolf Type B?"
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

I really dislike having a lack of self control (This is why I don't get drunk) so I'd have to choose Beta.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

Vuldari wrote:
Xodiac wrote:Hm. If you really had no control over when you transform, wouldn't that make you an Omega werewolf? :)
Indeed...I think the "Alpha/Beta" thing is sort of confusing. I think most of us here immediately associate "Alpha" with "leader"... "experienced" ...
...not "Cursed and Uncontrolable"...

I think it would have been more appropriate to ask?

"Would you be Werewolf Type A or Wereolf Type B?"
well blame the website :lol: www.monstrous.com
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

well thats basically what there asking its just the Greek alphabet, I'am sure you know this, but to me it is stating the fact of a and b, when I think of pack mentality I think of the leader and his followers not alpha because of the fact that it was the first alphabet I learned so it is hard for me not to have Alpha not equall a. If they want to be less confusing say would you should do the A and B thing I agree with you on that :D
Apharoh
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Enemy of The Gnomes

Post by Apharoh »

Im a delta werepenguin... im cool that way
Apharoh:* finishes sweeping the floor* "Adolph its time for you to mop"
Adolph:"you did a terrible job of sweeping"
Apharoh:"So whats your point"
Adolph:"YOU CANT MOP A DIRTY FLOOR APHAROH!"
Apharoh:"Not with that attitude"
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

beta, i rather be in conterol. being an alpha would pain suck!
THE GAME

My Armory
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I wouldn't mind being an Alpha Beta. Except, maybe, the initiation hazing.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Merrypaws
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Merrypaws »

:shift: Beta. Being out of control is fun every now and then, but I sure as hey wouldn't wanna live like that.
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Re: alpha or beta?

Post by mielikkishunt »

Searif Bogard wrote:
I was just wondering if you would rather be a alpha werewolf or beta werewolf

There's no 'would I'. I am the alpha b****, Uber b****, Queen b****, bow before me!

With dogs, you have to be alpha, and since I currently have 18 dogs in a variety of ages, you bet your bippy I am ALPHA

That said, the alpha/beta thing here is definitely queer. . .that's not what Alpha means(Alpha is in control, leader, etc)
Last edited by mielikkishunt on Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lt Com Kyr

Could someone explain why my Russian Wolfhound only eats my WereWolf Books?
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

Yeah rather confusing titles you chose. I would to Beta cause I don't like being forced to do things.
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."