Tortured souls?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Tortured souls?

Post by Anubis »

Are werewolves are tortured souls? what i meen is werewolves that want to be somewhat a normal human. would be torn apart by his or her wolven side. that they feel disconneted with every one because that humans would reject them or even try to kill the werewolf for just being a werewolf. if they found out what they really are with that kind of thing.

example: a teenage werewolf fears that his human parents would find out what he really is. because his parents would call him a monster and/or try to kill him.
THE GAME

My Armory
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Interesting topic.

Well, I have this to say on the matter. I think it sorta depends on whether there are other werewolves in the area. If there's a whole pack of them around to support each other, then I think that no, they wouldn't be tortured on the inside. When you are different from the majority, but there are others like you around you, it makes your secret easier to bear. However, if there was a lone werewolf in a community full of humans with no other werewolves around, I think he'd be pretty upset. Suicidal, possibly.

Then again that sorta depends no the individual werewolf. If they were born a werewolf, then they are most definitely used to the idea, and probably wouldn't be upset by it. They would view it as their own secret special power, I would think. If they were bitten, it would probably freak them out and make them very upset for a very long time, especially since they can't control their TFs at the full moon.

Anyway, those are my opinions. In summary (in terms of whether they would be 'tortured' by their secret):

worst case scenario: bitten werewolf living alone in community of humans
best case scenario: group of born werewolves living in the same community
NarnianWolfen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NarnianWolfen »

I think it'd depend on the character of the individual. Some people would be able to bear it, and others, perhaps not. Before I discovered the therian community, I was vastly lonely and sure of my own solitude, and depressed. But I would never kill myself. It was a joy to discover that there are others like me out there, but I wouldn't say that I was tortured. Just lonely. :|
~Kate

"She should not lock the open door (run away run away run away!), full moon is on the sky and he's not a man anymore...sees the change in him but can't (run away run away run away) see what became out of her man...full moon!"
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Excelsia wrote:However, if there was a lone werewolf in a community full of humans with no other werewolves around, I think he'd be pretty upset. Suicidal, possibly.
I agree for the most part, but I would ad to this statement in particular that a lone werewolf would be a rare case because, due to the nature of lycanthropy, it would be almost impossible for there to be only one werewolf. He would have either had to be born a werewolf by his parents, or contract lycanthropy from another werewolf -- either way, he couldn't have lycanthropy unless there was another to give it to him.

If born a werewolf, he'll grow up knowing what it's like to be a werewolf and therefore will not feel like an outcast since he never knew what it was like to be a normal human being to begin with. Being infected later in life may lead to some form of depression, but that won't last long because the likely scenario is that either the werewolf that infected him will seek him out, or his depression will turn to anger and he'll seek out the werewolf instead, most likely the former since werewolves in today's society can't risk being exposed.

A serious social butterfly might not be able to cope with having their circle of friends cut down from a few dozen to the four or five in the pack that accepts them, but for the most part, the transition from human life to pack life should be a successful one.

A newly-infected man might resent the werewolf that bit him, but at any rate, conflict would be rare in this case scenario because the werewolf has experience; he should be able to relate with the person he infected and understand why he's confused and/or afraid, and the new werewolf could learn from the one that infected him how to live with lycanthropy.

The only time there would ever be a sense of lonliness that could lead to suicide would be if they decided they'd rather kill each other than work together (either because the werewolf thinks its for the best or the newly infected believes in that "kill the werewolf that bit you to lift the curse" BS) and the newly-made werewolf won. After that, he'd be alone, and if he believed killing the werewolf would cure him, finding out otherwise would definitely make him depressed enough to kill himself.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Excelsia wrote:However, if there was a lone werewolf in a community full of humans with no other werewolves around, I think he'd be pretty upset. Suicidal, possibly.

A lone werewolf?

All he needs to do is bite someone and he is not the lone werewolf anymore.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Figarou wrote:

A lone werewolf?

Yeah that is what I would do in that situation.

Although there are some people who would view it as a 'curse' and would not wish to put this burden on others.

I agree with your comments about a werewolf most likely not being alone Terastas. That was mainly a worst case scenario.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

The name's Rogan; have you seen this man, Eric Cord?

Post by Scott Gardener »

Very individualistic, but in most scenarios short of lycanthropy having absolutely no drawbacks and being readily curable, there would be at least one or two people who would not want the thing.

Not every werewolf bitten would turn into an angst-ridden tortured soul doomed with eternal moping about how terrible superiority can be. (That's vampires.) But, even if lycanthropy were more like our daydreams than like Ginger Snaps, there'd be a goodly number of people who had it but didn't want it.

If the world-setting were a paralllel of this one, in which people didn't know they existed, plenty of angst would come about simply out of shock value and fear of the unknown. It's certainly a driving force in the first thirty pages or so of my novel. (My character is the sort of guy who would want it, but because he got thrown in without warning, he gets to go through the "oh, no, this can't be happening" routine.)

Another angsty archetype that's seldom explored is the idea of the werewolf hunter who got bitten. You know it would happen--the investigator who didn't realize the "werewolf killer" really was a werewolf, the Project Magestic agent investigating animal mutilations who finds the culprit and gets bitten, or my personal favorite, the person who knows about them and wants to kill them all, who now has to cope with being one of them...
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Figarou wrote:A lone werewolf?

That's certainly true, but there's always the tragic hero that thinks he's cursed and vows to never let it spread to another. And besides, if he doesn't know how to cope with being a werewolf, all he'd end up doing by infecting others is spreading the misery. It's only once he's adapted to the new lifestyle and learned to live with it that he could infect others without worry, but chances are if he could learn to live with it, that would defeat the primary purpose of infecting others.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I'd imagine it really goes for an individual or maybe certain cases. Becoming a werewolf would be very stressful on the person.

If someone found out, what would they do? Report you? Kill you, etheir of fright or maybe because no one belived him? If the whole world found out what would they do? What would the government do? What would happen if you bit someone? How in the hell did this happen any way? Are you a ruthless killer?

Theres alot of questuons to ask, and these may stress the werewolf to find the truth, and maybe stay secret as can be.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

:D well if you infecxt the whole comunitty everybody will be werewolfs and wont have to feel so left out.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

outwarddoodles wrote: If someone found out, what would they do? Report you? Kill you, etheir of fright or maybe because no one belived him? If the whole world found out what would they do? What would the government do? What would happen if you bit someone? How in the hell did this happen any way? Are you a ruthless killer?

Well, it just depends on the person.

Toss a duckie at me, please!!! :ducktoss2:

[spoiler]heh...thought I was going to say "bite me?" WRONG!!! LOL!!![/spoiler]
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Figarou:
heh...thought I was going to say "bite me?" WRONG!!! LOL!!!
You just did.

Figarou:
bite me
[spoiler]And if I bit you you would be like some half wolf half llama half human thing! Does that add up to you? [/spoiler]

[spoiler]I like this little spoiler thing.[/spoiler]
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

outwarddoodles wrote:Figarou:
heh...thought I was going to say "bite me?" WRONG!!! LOL!!!
You just did.

Figarou:
bite me
I meant in my 1st phrase. :ducktoss3:

outwarddoodles wrote:[spoiler]And if I bit you you would be like some half wolf half llama half human thing! Does that add up to you? [/spoiler]

[spoiler]I like this little spoiler thing.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Nope. But it gives me an idea.[/spoiler]
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Yeah it depends a lot on the individual and also if other WWs are around.
Like some prissy girl obsessed with looks would most likely not enjoy the fact that she just sprouted fur, a muzzle and tail. Freak out time for said person. Some loner with no friends or whatever could very well embrace it.
If someonebody got bitten by a wandering WW, they would be very isolated and could turn out to be a 'tortured soul.' Or the WW that bit the human came to take responsability for them, it would be a lot easier. Knowing there not alone would help a lot
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

It depends on the person.

Kyrlrra, my main character, hates her wolf side for the longest time, fights it, refuses to give in to it, refuses to let the impulses reign.

Her lifemate Storr embraces it, and always has.
Lt Com Kyr

Could someone explain why my Russian Wolfhound only eats my WereWolf Books?