Weirdest TV show?

The place for anything at all...
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Weirdest TV show?

Post by Set »

What's the weirdest TV show you've ever seen? There's this one called Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo. I kid you not. It is the most bizarre thing I've ever seen. That show is confusing as hell but still manages to be funny. It's about this guy with a blonde fro who travels around with this girl who has pink hair trying to save people from getting their heads shaved.
Bobobo wrote:What, you've never seen 5-foot-long nose hairs before?
Darum
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darum »

FLCL hands down the most confusing non-sencical anime i've ever seen.
"every set-back, a step foward. every failure, an extra oportunity for success. every day of defeat, a victory!"
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Resident Chakat

Post by Short Tail »

FLCL gets my vote as well, however super milkchan is right up there with it.
Hamster
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hamster »

Same here. FLCL.
Meh Dev account: http://kileyhannan.deviantart.com/

"Life... It's drawing without an eraser..."
Koshaw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Duckinator

Post by Koshaw »

FLCL?
ImageImage
Hamster
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hamster »

Fooly Cooly. Its...its an anime show.

Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

I've seen FLCL before. I actually think Bobobo is weirder.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Ren & Stimpy.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

hey don't diss ren

but ya between random horns out of peoples heads and five foot long nose hairs, id have to say...........Bobobi-bo-bo-bobo(sp?)
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Weirdness

Post by Scott Gardener »

Anime certainly generates a lot of weirdness. Many of my top candidates would be Anime titles:

Final Fantasy Unlimited: Based on the Squaresoft game series, and in keeping with that series, it has nothing to do storywise with any other Final Fantasy story excerpts I've seen, or the movie "The Spirits Within." It resembles instead more the old 1900s comic strip "Little Nemo," about a boy's dreams. A group of kids ride a semi-organic, really cool-looking train into a surreal universe, looking for their parents. There they meet a guy with the requisite Anime plot device super-gun, who shows up to save the day towards the end of each episode, as the children encounter mushroom monsters (Super Mario Brothers comes to mind), explosive crystals, and the like.

Urusei Yatsura: The series that starred Lum, the green-haired lady with horns and a tiger-striped bikini, often Cosplayed at Anime conventions. She's an alien who gets accidentally betrothed to Ataru, who is deathly afraid of commitment. Other aliens show up regularly, making their lives bizarre and complicated.

Dragon Half: Only two episodes were made; it is rumored that this is because the artist was arrested for using crack. A young girl / dragon hybrid is madly in love with Dick Saucer, the famous musician, who is hired to hunt her down and kill her. Ending theme is what Fantasia would have sounded like if conductor Leopold Stowkowski abused amphetamines and had a ditsy Geisha lover with schizophrenia.

Excel Saga: ACROSS plots to take over the world, with a series of experiments, each invariably being ruled a failure in the end. Features Menchi, the cute dog / emergency food supply; the Puchus, the diabolically cute mini-monsters; and, an assassination attempt on the animator of the show itself.

Other, non-Anime contenders for weirdest show would include:

VR-5: A short-lived TV series that came out when "virtual reality" was a trendy concept. The show went back and forth between the real and fake worlds. The lead character was a lady who had knowledge and had to avoid being duped into answering the phone and thus getting hacked.

The Company of Wolves: Already heavily reviewed elsewhere, because it's a werewolf movie, it's mentioned here because it's, well, very weird. A girl being insulted by her sister falls asleep, runs from a bunch of giant toys, and gets cornered by wolves. Then, she is in the sixteenth century, where stories within stories do Jungian and Freudian stuff with werewolf legends, leading up to a dramatic twist on Little Red Riding Hood. Features the 1986 Baby Elizabeth Award, an award I give for the most shocking images, named for the baby with the forked tongue in the miniseries "V." This movie earns the award for a shapeshifting scene involving ripping off skin, which scared the crap out of me about a year before my obsession with werewolves began.

Of all these, Excel Saga takes the title, for the opening scene where the lead character gets killed in the first minute, and the Universe becomes a character and a plot device to start over.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

LUUUUUUNNNNNNNCCCCCHHHHH TIIIIIIIMMMMMEEEE!!!

Post by Lupin »

FLCL starts to make sense once you start thinking of it as a coming-of-age story.

On the other hand I just don't understand Paranoia Agent.

Scott Gardener wrote:Urusei Yatsura: The series that starred Lum, the green-haired lady with horns and a tiger-striped bikini, often Cosplayed at Anime conventions. She's an alien who gets accidentally betrothed to Ataru, who is deathly afraid of commitment. Other aliens show up regularly, making their lives bizarre and complicated.
There's an OVA where Lum turns Ataru into a werewolf, but I haven't been able to get my hands on it.
Of all these, Excel Saga takes the title, for the opening scene where the lead character gets killed in the first minute, and the Universe becomes a character and a plot device to start over.
IIRC she dies like 5 times in the first epsiode.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

*nods* Both BoBoBo-Bo-Bo-BoBo and FLCL do seem to be held together entirely by complete and total randomness. I'm going to give it to the former though because, while FLCL only seems to have one abnormal character that makes everything chaotic for everyone else, BoBoBo seems to be one of a million weirdos.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

I think anime is just annoying, not weird.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Morkulv wrote:I think anime is just annoying, not weird.
*nods* A lot of them are, and unfortunately, since most people are still trapped in that "cartoons are for children" mentality, the general response to the success of shows like Cowboy Bebop and InuYasha, or movies like Ghost in the Shell and Princess Mononoke, has been to import and translate most of the more sickeningly cute animes.

In a way, their kind of like American cartoons in the same regard that there are hundreds, but only a handful of which are actually worth watching (it'd be unfair, for example, to compare Samurai Jack or Family Guy to Proud Family or Dora the Explorer). It's just a matter of sorting out the crap and finding the good ones.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

FLCL wins hands down :D Super Milk Chan is trippy also :P
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Super Milk-chan is just the same thing over and over again. :P
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Boobah. It's a show for babies, and I just think it's probally what people see when they're on drugs. I'm thinking the person who made that, or came up with the idea, was on drugs, or some halucigenic (spelling?)

Otherwise Super Milk Chan is stupid, and I've heard of the Bo bo bo thingy from someone once yet I forget, I don't think I've ever seen it though.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Terastas wrote:
*nods* A lot of them are, and unfortunately, since most people are still trapped in that "cartoons are for children" mentality, the general response to the success of shows like Cowboy Bebop and InuYasha, or movies like Ghost in the Shell and Princess Mononoke, has been to import and translate most of the more sickeningly cute animes.

In a way, their kind of like American cartoons in the same regard that there are hundreds, but only a handful of which are actually worth watching (it'd be unfair, for example, to compare Samurai Jack or Family Guy to Proud Family or Dora the Explorer). It's just a matter of sorting out the crap and finding the good ones.
:eyebrow:

Ermh... I watch a lot of cartoons, but I just don't like the anime-style. I don't like the typical Japanese humor, and I think the drawing-style is very overrated. Its just a matter of opinion, and I really tried to like it. I really did.
Hamster
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hamster »

Morkulv wrote:
Terastas wrote:

:eyebrow:

Ermh... I watch a lot of cartoons, but I just don't like the anime-style. I don't like the typical Japanese humor, and I think the drawing-style is very overrated. Its just a matter of opinion, and I really tried to like it. I really did.
I don't like the anime-style as well. I just don't like the design they make the humans. I do like how they draw everything else but things that are human are even human like, I don't like.

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

outwarddoodles wrote:Boobah. It's a show for babies, and I just think it's probally what people see when they're on drugs. I'm thinking the person who made that, or came up with the idea, was on drugs, or some halucigenic (spelling?)
Oi, I forgot about that one. I wouldn't say it's trippy, but I would say that the nimrods behind that show were thinking less about making an educational TV show so much as they were thinking about something that children ages 2-6 could pay attention to. I channel surf over it and the five boobah-thingys are dancing repetetively, I resume channel surfing and come back to it five minutes later and those damn boobah-thingys are still doing the same freakin' repetetive dance over and over! Show synopsis: "The boobah's stretch with their arms." And that's a half-hour show with no commercials?! Educational my a**! Ten years from now, all the kids that grew up on Boobah will be writing "u sux0r stupef" and "oPPS I HITTD THE cAPDlOCK" all over the Internet.

WARNING: Just because the kid is watching does not mean he is learning!
Miguel
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Keep it Copacetic!
Mood: Happy

Post by Miguel »

Yeah,i'm not a big fan of anime. I basicly never have time for tv. I usually am on the forum or doing stuff for school. If I get the chance I will catch a movie on HBO but thats about it.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

BOBOBO-BO-BOBO or what ever gessss! that show it wierd the writters has to be on some kind of really cool smak!! the nose hair the bogger people! and the hair shaving! and the living hair folicules!!!

FLCL is in second i love that show too bad thier is only 6 episodes :cry:
THE GAME

My Armory