Gestalt form sweating?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Gestalt form sweating?

Post by white »

We were discussing this on IRC a bit, and it seemed appropriate to post here to be complete. Should the gestalt form sweat? I'd say no; sweat doesn't really work well with fur; there's a reason wolves don't.
Sanity is relative.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Wolves and dogs have sweat glands in their paws.
On the other hand, humans have sweat glands all over their bodies.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

I think that there would be no sweat glads on a werewolf, because of their fur. sweating makes it harder to keep clean with dirty fur allows water and and the elements in making is some what useless. so evolution wount allow that so werewolves like what Apokryltaros said would only have swaet glads on the pads on the hands and feet
THE GAME

My Armory
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Yeah, it seems we've got a pretty simple consensus then. Anyone have any OTHER ideas?
Sanity is relative.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Let me rephrase what I'm trying to get at...
If a werewolf only has sweatglands on his paws, then, what happens to his glands when he's in human form?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

I thought we decided long ago that human form was simply human with minor sensory advantages?
Sanity is relative.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

But you're saying that the werewolf loses his sweatglands when he changes to gestalt form.
-Calculon
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

look this is a mystory to all of us, thier sweat glands probably just closes up until it reverts back.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

or just becomes dormit
THE GAME

My Armory
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

As the sweat would become trapped in the fur, and wouldn't evaporate, I'd say that they wouldn't sweat.

Though I'm not sure if that's because they can't sweat, or they just don't.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Silver
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silver »

I need some more opinions on this before I give a post in Silver's Corner. My own vote is that the human sweatglands shrivel and close as it goes Gestalt.

In less hairy form, more sweat glands. In more hairy, less sweat glands, until it goes only to pads and feet.

And we did decide before that human form was simply human with improved hearing and smell (the high end of human, not superhuman).

There is another thread on vision and I'm waiting to get enough concensus to put that in Silver's Corner.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Silver wrote:I need some more opinions on this before I give a post in Silver's Corner. My own vote is that the human sweatglands shrivel and close as it goes Gestalt.
Well, that makes sence. I have no knowledge on werewolves and sweat glands. But its something non-werewolf fans wouldn't think about after watching a werewolf movie. But you may never know. :wink:
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

I'm not quite sure what the problem is. If one can grow and ungrow a tail, then something as simple as shutting down and/or absorbing sweat glands should be a simple matter. I don't really care which it is, so long as we don't see sweat-matted fur. The inverse proportion thing makes sense, too, so long as it's scaled appropriately; there should only be sweat so long as there's little enough fur for evaporation-based cooling to be practical.
Sanity is relative.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Ralith wrote:I'm not quite sure what the problem is. If one can grow and ungrow a tail, then something as simple as shutting down and/or absorbing sweat glands should be a simple matter. I don't really care which it is, so long as we don't see sweat-matted fur. The inverse proportion thing makes sense, too, so long as it's scaled appropriately; there should only be sweat so long as there's little enough fur for evaporation-based cooling to be practical.

When humans get hot...we sweat. If a wolf gets hot, it pants.

Sooooo.I expect a werewolf to do this. :panting:
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Figarou wrote:When humans get hot...we sweat. If a wolf gets hot, it pants.

Sooooo.I expect a werewolf to do this. :panting:
*Looks at his dog, Shadow* Yup hes doing it.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Silver wrote:I need some more opinions on this before I give a post in Silver's Corner. My own vote is that the human sweatglands shrivel and close as it goes Gestalt.
Yeah.

Otherwise the Werewolf would be like a giant fuzzy armpit. Blech. :P
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Never let'em see you sweat

Post by Scott Gardener »

I agree with the emerging consensus, that when you grow fur, you lose sweat glands in the process. They'd have to atrophy and shrink anyway to allow the greater fur density.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

aff to the consensus
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I agree with everyone here. Panting=yes in gestalt/wolf form. Sweat from paws, yeah, ok.
The more human they get, the more sweat glands they form again.
:panting:

What about something like a first shift. Its hard on the body, so the individual will be sweating up a storm as the changes come. At the end it could be heavy panting. But will they have a sweat-soaked pelt? The sweat wouldnt dry that fast, unless its all under the fur... :?
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

that would be logical.... all the more misrible, i guess.
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Silverclaw wrote:What about something like a first shift. Its hard on the body, so the individual will be sweating up a storm as the changes come. At the end it could be heavy panting. But will they have a sweat-soaked pelt? The sweat wouldnt dry that fast, unless its all under the fur... :?
Hehe, that would have to suck. Here you've turned into god-knows-what, and you smell like wet dog!
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Sweat + fur = ew, however...

There are animals with fur that sweat. Anyone who's been around a horse long enough knows that. Horses sweat, and it works for them, though it doesn't seem very pleasant.
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

But don't most horses have fairly short fur, it donen't seem that that would hinder evaporation as much as a thick coat like that of a wolf.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

That depends on the breed of the horse. But, as a group, their hair isn't that long unless it's winter. Even then they'll still sweat. I raise Appaloosas, so I should know.

How much fur are you envisioning on the gestalt form anyhow? I'm not expecting it to be as thick as in full wolf form.
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

Yeah, that does make sense, I didn't really give the amount of fur present in gestalt form much thought. I was thinking of it as about as thick as that of a wolf, but it probably would be shorter than that.