Death and Remains

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lurking Spirit

Death and Remains

Post by Blade-of-the-Moon »

When a werewolf dies what would be left ? Would they revert to human or wolf form or would they simply stay in werewolf form ? Then assuming they stay in werewolf or even wolf form what would be done with the remains ? Burning might attract a lot of attention and a human that stumbles on a burial site with mixed wolf and human bones could at least arouse curiosity even the grieving process would def. merit some kind of investigation since there would be a lot of unatural howling going on in the area. I have heard the others would eat the remains, like in Streiber's Wolfen book but I can't see a werewolf with a human side consuming it's relatives remains.
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Hmmmm...good one. Time to put my thinking cap on.

Darn, batteries are low. *tosses it aside*

Hollywood always has it revert back to normal. In real death, the muscle can freeze in that postion. Eyes can be open, hands could still be holding on to something, ETC. So when in werewolf form, I say your still a werewolf in death. Your frozen in that state. If that werewolf died in the city, then the others needs to find it and get it out quick before the humans see it.

As for getting rid of the remains, eating is out. There is no way I'm going to eat a relative. Yuck. People burn trash and leaves out in the country all the time. They won't notice anything. Unless it raises a stink.

P U!!
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

Oh, a large dead animal stinks for miles, a burning one also has a strong smell, I driven past cattle farms where they burning some that died it also can attract scavengers, vultures, buzzards, crows and such. We've burned a goat around here in winter only to have a couple of coyotes show up along with the vultures.
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:Oh, a large dead animal stinks for miles, a burning one also has a strong smell, I driven past cattle farms where they burning some that died it also can attract scavengers, vultures, buzzards, crows and such. We've burned a goat around here in winter only to have a couple of coyotes show up along with the vultures.

Hmm...how to get rid of the body. Werewolves could bury the body somewhere and let natural decomposition take place. Come back later, dig up the bones, have some type of ceremony where they grind the bones and then spread it thoughout the land.

Thats how I would see it.
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

That would take a lot of time and what if something or someone dug it up ?

Nice thinking on the bones though. :wink:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:That would take a lot of time and what if something or someone dug it up ?

Not if the body was buried in a sacred place. One where only the werewolf knows.

:wink:
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

Figarou wrote:
Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:That would take a lot of time and what if something or someone dug it up ?

Not if the body was buried in a sacred place. One where only the werewolf knows.

Similar to the caerns in W:tA then ? Those sites were heavily guarded on the inside and protected by human kinfolk on the outside which sometimes led to human curiosity and of course death. Sometimes the caerns were in a forested area being logged or mined which led to some bloody battles . What if a scientist uncovered an old caern or the miners or loggers came across it after the werewolves were forced it ? In order to avoid these situation all werewolves would have to have burial grounds pretty far from human eyes, they would have to be as good as Bigfoot when it comes to hiding their dead.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:
Figarou wrote:

Similar to the caerns in W:tA then ? Those sites were heavily guarded on the inside and protected by human kinfolk on the outside which sometimes led to human curiosity and of course death. Sometimes the caerns were in a forested area being logged or mined which led to some bloody battles . What if a scientist uncovered an old caern or the miners or loggers came across it after the werewolves were forced it ? In order to avoid these situation all werewolves would have to have burial grounds pretty far from human eyes, they would have to be as good as Bigfoot when it comes to hiding their dead.

Not like caerns in White-wolf. But something close. If the werewolves decide to leave the place, there will be no signs of who really built it in the 1st place. The scientists will be scratching their heads wondering where the stuff came from..
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

True. But if they leave they might have to leave behind a few bodies decomposed or not. That would certainly get the goverment involved unless they are already aware of them then they would swarming over the place. Not to mention there would have to be dna all over the place from hair or blood. Anyplace a large # of them came together would have that.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:True. But if they leave they might have to leave behind a few bodies decomposed or not. That would certainly get the goverment involved unless they are already aware of them then they would swarming over the place. Not to mention there would have to be dna all over the place from hair or blood. Anyplace a large # of them came together would have that.

Well, if its in the open, sure. Humans will find it. But like I said earlier. A place where only the werewolves know.
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

Figarou wrote:
Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:True. But if they leave they might have to leave behind a few bodies decomposed or not. That would certainly get the goverment involved unless they are already aware of them then they would swarming over the place. Not to mention there would have to be dna all over the place from hair or blood. Anyplace a large # of them came together would have that.

Well, if its in the open, sure. Humans will find it. But like I said earlier. A place where only the werewolves know.
Secluded places are hard to find nowadays unless they have money or they live in a national park or reservation. That would work and keep them within driving distance to humans, though they would still need to keep the place concealed as much as possible and have it guarded just in case.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:
Figarou wrote:

Secluded places are hard to find nowadays unless they have money or they live in a national park or reservation. That would work and keep them within driving distance to humans, though they would still need to keep the place concealed as much as possible and have it guarded just in case.
It doesn't have to have decorations, statues, symbols, or anything of that nature. To the human eye, its looks like a normal part of the woods. To the werewolf, its sacred ground. Just like the native american indian, the werewolf will not change natures beauty.
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

Oh, I know, I meant they would have to conceal they're digging efforts ( the grave will have to be quite deep ), and there will be undoubtably tracks, perhaps blood from the bodies wound ect.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:Oh, I know, I meant they would have to conceal they're digging efforts ( the grave will have to be quite deep ), and there will be undoubtably tracks, perhaps blood from the bodies wound ect.

hmmm...maybe not digging. Have a tunnel underground. A huge rock can be the door. Have at least 6 werewolves shift and use their strenth to lift the rock and reveal the passage way. Place the dead bodies inside, then place the big rock back. All taking place in the darkest of the night. (The new moon)
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

Figarou wrote:
Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:Oh, I know, I meant they would have to conceal they're digging efforts ( the grave will have to be quite deep ), and there will be undoubtably tracks, perhaps blood from the bodies wound ect.

hmmm...maybe not digging. Have a tunnel underground. A huge rock can be the door. Have at least 6 werewolves shift and use their strenth to lift the rock and reveal the passage way. Place the dead bodies inside, then place the big rock back. All taking place in the darkest of the night. (The new moon)
Getting better we are, wolf dens can be complex, but wouldn't a tunnel have to be dug in the first place ? Where to put all the dirt ?
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:
Figarou wrote:

Getting better we are, wolf dens can be complex, but wouldn't a tunnel have to be dug in the first place ? Where to put all the dirt ?

Why are you making this so difficult? :wink:

It could be a natural formation that the werewolves found long ago. An opening caused by an earthquake. Lava tunnel. ETC.
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

Just covering all the bases you know. " God is in the details...."

Anyway that would work for a burial site.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:Just covering all the bases you know. " God is in the details...."

Anyway that would work for a burial site.
Finally!!

What a long thread this has become.
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

But would it work realisticlly in the film ? That's a lot of footage if one of them is killed during the movie.

I'm surprised it's just been us two on this thread, I'll prob. have to continue this tommorow afternoon, my arms killing me and I haven't even made it to the shower yet.... :cry:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:But would it work realisticlly in the film ? That's a lot of footage if one of them is killed during the movie.

I'm surprised it's just been us two on this thread, I'll prob. have to continue this tommorow afternoon, my arms killing me and I haven't even made it to the shower yet.... :cry:

Eh, who knows. Maybe this film will be like The Fellowship of the Ring. Three seperate films and 3 years to show it!! The final film being 4 hours long.

:shock:

Bring on the popcorn!!

:D
Silverfang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silverfang »

Hate to interupt but i wanna say on this :P :oops:

Anyway that is a good point raised, burning the body would cause problems where as burring it in the woods would cause other problems. Figarou's idea of using a natural cave with a boulder in front of it is one possible idea though some others here might have another idea.
As for me my brain hurts too much ?? long week and working being a pain :x :P
*When you're down... howl*
Treads Lightly
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Treads Lightly »

I agree that when a werewolf dies he or she should remain is whatever state in which they died.

However, I do disagree slightly on the method of disposal of the bodies. To me it would seem that as in life the character of the werewolf is dependant on what kind of person they are, the ritual of death would also be dependant specifically on who they are.

Real wolves, or any other animal for that matter do not bury their dead. That is a specifically human thing. When an animal lies dead in the forest, many other creatures benefit from its death. Fur is used to line birds’ nests and the meat feeds scavengers. A body in the wild will decompose in a couple of years, and the bones will be destroyed or scattered by the creatures in that place.

It seems to me that a truly shamanistic werewolf family would place the body of a loved one in the deepest forest they could find, so that the deceased wolf could return to nature.

On the other hand, city dwelling wolves know the most efficient place to dispose of a body is in a landfill. You may laugh, but the ODNR (Ohio Department of Natural Resources) where I live pays people to take dead deer carcasses to the landfills. So a little extra fur ground up in the mess would make little difference and not be likely to be noticed.

It would also seem to me that a religious werewolf family would likely bury their loved one in a casket, just like a normal human. Maybe others would use a cave, or shallow grave, or a deep grave. All of these methods would, of course, slow decomposition considerably, possibly even resulting in mummification.

What I would shy away from is the WhiteWolf like infrastructure that was referred in this thread. I just don’t like the idea that there is a huge conspiracy to conceal werewolves from the public. I tend towards the ideas in other threads where some people may know about werewolves, but the proof is too fantastic to be believed.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I dont know, if scavengers ate a werewolf's body, would they become werewolfy things? :lol:
I agree that whatever form they die in, they stay in.
Maybe to hide bodies, they would go into a cave and hide the body in a deep crevice in the rocks. Then cover it with mud and a boulder.
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

Treads Lightly wrote:I agree that when a werewolf dies he or she should remain is whatever state in which they died.

However, I do disagree slightly on the method of disposal of the bodies. To me it would seem that as in life the character of the werewolf is dependant on what kind of person they are, the ritual of death would also be dependant specifically on who they are.

Real wolves, or any other animal for that matter do not bury their dead. That is a specifically human thing. When an animal lies dead in the forest, many other creatures benefit from its death. Fur is used to line birds’ nests and the meat feeds scavengers. A body in the wild will decompose in a couple of years, and the bones will be destroyed or scattered by the creatures in that place.

It seems to me that a truly shamanistic werewolf family would place the body of a loved one in the deepest forest they could find, so that the deceased wolf could return to nature.

On the other hand, city dwelling wolves know the most efficient place to dispose of a body is in a landfill. You may laugh, but the ODNR (Ohio Department of Natural Resources) where I live pays people to take dead deer carcasses to the landfills. So a little extra fur ground up in the mess would make little difference and not be likely to be noticed.

It would also seem to me that a religious werewolf family would likely bury their loved one in a casket, just like a normal human. Maybe others would use a cave, or shallow grave, or a deep grave. All of these methods would, of course, slow decomposition considerably, possibly even resulting in mummification.

What I would shy away from is the WhiteWolf like infrastructure that was referred in this thread. I just don’t like the idea that there is a huge conspiracy to conceal werewolves from the public. I tend towards the ideas in other threads where some people may know about werewolves, but the proof is too fantastic to be believed.
Good ideas, landfills would def. work for city dwelling werewolves if they could stomach burying their dead there. A casket burial would be fine form a human form werewolf and the forest would work for a wolf carcass, but if these werewolves died fighting chances are they would be stuck in half wolf form and not concealing a body or evidence of something like that would force humans to believe in them leading to all sorts of problems like big game hunters, goverment interest, media, religous fanatics they would never be left alone. If one or two humans know about them that would be fine because if they betrayed them they would written off as nuts by the majority but if there is a body it's hard to argue against that.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

This is a tough one because there's really no way to dispose of a body without drawing one form of attention or another. They couldn't just start a dumpster fire because the body would be smelled for miles. They couldn't just bury it in an isolated location because, regardless of how much care they put into hiding it, eventually the bones will be rediscovered.

The only way I could see a werewolf disposing of a body would be in either a crematorium (where the smell wouldn't be that unusual) or a cemetery (where it wouldn't be dug up on a chance account). In other threads, I mentioned the possibility of getting ties in with some fields of employment that might benefit the pack (medicine and law enforcement, for example, either by making friends with humans in the workforce, or by encouraging their pack members to study in those fields themselves. Maybe they could try to get one of their own to work in one of the funeral trades.