RIP Gilby

The place for anything at all...
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

RIP Gilby

Post by Silverclaw »

*1992-2006*

Well, last night, around 2 am, we had to put our yellow lab, Gilby down. :( :cry: :cry:
I remember when we first got him from a local dog breeder when I was still in elementry school. He was the only yellow lab in a litter of about three black labs and one chocolate lab. A young, excited puppy, bouncing around in the enclocure as we choose which to get.
I have lots of good memories of Gilby.(Gilby is the Irish name for 'yellow'. His middle name is 'Finn', Irish for 'Fair'.) Lots of good times with him.
For the past year though, he has greatly deteirated with age. Turned from plump to very, very skinny. His arthritis had gotten so bad that he could barely walk anymore. He would be laying in the house and it would not be uncommen for him to poop or pee where he layed. (I'd get all mad at him when he did that, lol)
These past few months he has gotten even worst. So skinny, we could see his bones sticking through(though he ate well enough) Vet said it was his muslce mass wasting away from age. And he could barely move.
He loved to lay underneth our pine trees, and would almost always be out there. For the three days, that is where he layed. My mom would bring him food and water in the mornings.
Last night though, she heard him barking from outside and had me and my brother carry him up to the porch. What I saw was one of the worst sights I've ever seen in my life. I noticed that his head was wet. My mom saw it earlier that day but assumed he rolled in his own filth again(he has done that quite a few other times) But it was blood. We set him down, and I looked closer at his wound. It didnt look deep but what else I saw freaked me out badly. At first, it looked like his brian was poking through his head in places, and skirming in waves. Alive. Freaking out, I looked closer and saw that his wound was crawling with hundreds of maggots. I almost threw up a few times. He reeked of blood and god knows what else. One of the worst smells ever. It was awful. We tried rinsing it out with the hose on a light spray, but it freaked him out, he was whimpering and writhing in pain. For a couple hours we stayed outside with him. Comforting him and talking. His breathing was fast and shallow. Their were a few times we thought he would finally die. But he is a very stubbron dog. He would throw his head back and bark at nothing. After discussing what to do and calling my aunt for advise, she gave us a # to a 24 hour animal hopsital. We had to put him out of his pain. It couldnt wait any longer. We took two cars. My mom, sister and Gilby in one. And me and my brother in another. We all stood around him as the vet gave him the two shots. And it was over. Today we buried him in the garden, another place he used to like to lie in when he was still able to walk there.
I'll miss you Gilby :mourn: :mourn: :mourn:
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

Im very sorry to hear that :(

My condolences goes to you and your family Silverclaw.

may he rest in peace :|
Syzygy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wergild Collector

Post by Syzygy »

I am sorry to hear of your loss.
Eat more tobasco.
Kamara
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kamara »

Im sorry its always hard to lose a fur baby.
:cry:

Hes much better off not being in so much pain.

This is a copy of the Rainbow Bridge Poem for loved furry ones that have passed on.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Kamara
"Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and b****-slap the motherfu*ker upside the head...."
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

Thanks everone

And thats a beautiful poem Kamara :)
strykeriuswolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ARMY Wolf

Post by strykeriuswolf »

My dearest appolgies...its always hard to loose a great pet...our furry friends become family and its hard to let them go....
I dun care what people say about us furries, I'm darn proud to be one and have always been proud. POWER TO THE FURRIES
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I offer sincere condolances on your loss. I know it is only minimal consolation to know that he is no longer suffering.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

I feel ya Silverclaw... We lost, not one, but three Chocolate labs this year... one to a heart attach (Ginger age 2) and two to the horrible disease of parvo (Blossom and Punkin ages 12 wks). This was all in a period of 4 months too, so I can understand about the sadness that follows.

You have my sincere condolenses as well.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

My God!! What that dog has gone through. Silverclaw, I'm sorry how you have to put him down, it was for the better. No dog deserves to suffer like that and Im pretty shure everyone here would have made the same choice you did Silverclaw. It must be a terrible tragedy to loose your best friend like that, I don't even want to know how it feel like to loose the dog you love, I can imagine it's almost the same as loosing a family member. I have two dogs and I'm hoping for them to live long healthy lives.

You have my deepest condolances. :mourn:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

I am sorry for your loss SilverClaw. I can't even begin to imagine what you must be feeling or going through right now. I have never owned a pet in my life, but I know the pain of loss and it's never a friendly feeling an no one can ever get used to it.

At least now your dog can rest in peace. Be happy that at least his suffering has ended and you needn't worry about his pain any longer.. *hugs*
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Oh no!! So sorry to hear this. :(

May Gilby rest in peace. :mourn:
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Im very sorry for your loss, too. :( But Gilby is in a better place now. Now he's up there with my Behr (ferret) and Im sure she'll welcome him.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
wolfenknight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolfenknight »

I'm sorry to hear about that Silverclaw. I know how you feel about that because I used to work in a dog kennel and we had to put down few dogs due to illness and it makes me sick to see that happens.
I hope that things go well for you and if you need anything we all are here for you.
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

:cry: I'm so sorry Silverclaw, we all love our pets and it is very hard to let go
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori :P
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

Thank you everyone :)
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

My condolences. I never had a pet die on me, but I can't imagine it being at all pleasant.

Esspecially with the particular nastiness surrounding his death. Blergh. Doesn't sound like a fun way to go. But, "in a better place now" "No longer in pain" and all that, right?
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

He had a good, long, happy life. Now he's on the back porch, watching over you. You *will* see each other again. [Hug]
ImageImageImageImage
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

I'm sorry for your loss...but I can relate.
My sister's dog, Jasmine, was one of the sweetest dogs, one of my best friends. She died on June 21st. She had lymphnod cancer and we had to put her down. Before that, she hadn't eaten anything in two days. When we finally decided it was her time, we took her the vet. I remember her just laying there. And then the doctor came in with the two syringes. One to sedate her and the other to stop her heart. We all sat there with her. I keep petting her until she got cold and her eyes became dull. Then an assistant came in and took her away. The one thing I will always remember about her was that she could smile. She could smile as best she could and she only did it when she was happy. I think I can imagine her smiling when they gave her that shot, one that would take all the pain away.....

Anyway, I am truely sorry for the loss of a family member. Maybe Gilby and Jasmine are playing together somewhere out there.

:cry:
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

Thank you. I'm sure he is happier now, no longer suffering.

BlackWolfDS- Sorry about Jasmine. She and Gilby, and all the other passed on dogs are proably all having a good time with each other now :D
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself

Post by lupine »

:( So sorry to hear of your loss. I've been through it myself and just thinking about it makes me cry. We set ourselves up for a fall when we have a dog because they turn into one of the family, I have a collie alsation X called Duke. He was 2 and a half when I rescued him from cruel B******'s who starved, beat and put cigarettes out on him. He should have been mentally scarred but but he is the most affectionate dog I have ever known, with a fantastic temperament and a Great love for children. He IS my best friend, I love him dearly but it destroys me to think that he will go before me. He's 9 now, so has a good few years in him. I will enjoy every minute. You have my deepest sympathy.

I got to the gate of heaven yesterday,
After we said goodbye.
I began to miss you terribly,
Because I heard you cry.

Suddenly there was an Angel,
And she asked me to enter Heavens gate.
I asked her if I could stay outside,
As someone was coming, who would be late.

I wouldn't make a noise you see,
I wouldn't bark or howl
I'd only wait here patiently,
and play with my tennis ball.

The Angel said I could wait right here,
and wait for you to come.
Because Heaven just wouldn't be heaven,
if I went in alone.

So I'll wait here, you take your time,
but keep me in your heart.
Cos heaven wouldn't be heaven,
without you to warm my heart.

Found this on t'internet.

It's not perfect but hey , I can't even see the keys for tears now. :mourn:
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Anook
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dogs are miracles with paws

Post by Anook »

That poem just broke my heart. :cry:
I couldn't help but cry my eyes out.
:cry: :cry:
I could care less if I am a "freak". I don't care what other people think about me. I am me. I am different from the masses of society in unique and profound ways, anyway. Being physically different would trouble me not
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

that was a very nice poem Lupine... it really was.. :( :( :(
Kisota

Post by Kisota »

Ohhh.... :cry: Silverclaw....*hug*

I'm so sorry. I really can't think of much to add, but...I feel your pain. There's not much worse than losing a family member.

How horrifying. Thanks for sharing the stories about Gilby, though. He sounds very sweet. I hope he my dogs Scottie and Somebods are meeting him up there...it's nice to imagine them being friends...even if my dogs were too defensive in life. *sigh* :( *huuug*