Does this make anyone else nervous?

The place for anything at all...
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Resident Chakat

Does this make anyone else nervous?

Post by Short Tail »

For the first time in many decades we have built a machine that exceeds our powers of prediction.
That is what a scientist said about the experiment they are planning on as well as this:
They estimate the possibility of accidentally destroying the planet as extremely low.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/story.c ... d=10400645
:shudder:
"War is over if you want it to be. Imagine all the people living life in peace." - John & Yoko
Moon_Lover
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Look, Ma! He's smiling!"

Post by Moon_Lover »

Children with nitro, my friends, children with nitro.
You can run, you can hide, but I'll still pounce on you and lick you silly.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

They turn it on, opens a portal, then some strange creature emerges and destroys us all.

After that, they'll make a movie from it.

oh wait...its been done already. :P
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

well .... here comes the end of the world..... :roll:
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

No, I'm not worried.

A black hole won't suck in everything in the universe. You have to be within a certain distance of it for it to pull. If you're not in the field of gravity you're fine. Even if there are mini black holes created by this thing, the field will be so small as to not even tug on your hair if you're within three feet of the thing.

Think of space as a flat plane, and a black hole as a dent in that plane. You won't fall into the hole unless you're close enough to slide down the edge of the dent.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Set wrote:No, I'm not worried.

A black hole won't suck in everything in the universe. You have to be within a certain distance of it for it to pull. If you're not in the field of gravity you're fine. Even if there are mini black holes created by this thing, the field will be so small as to not even tug on your hair if you're within three feet of the thing.

Think of space as a flat plane, and a black hole as a dent in that plane. You won't fall into the hole unless you're close enough to slide down the edge of the dent.
Thats true but black holes suck items in over long distances. Though if there are mini ones, Im not worried about being sucked up..maybe if I work near that thing...

I hate when humans try to play god...just shut up and enjoy it for what it is instead of trying to control it. :x
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

This is the same thing that happened in the garden, God said don't touch the fruit of the tree of knowlege, and man not only touched it, but ate it and ended off worse :x
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori :P
Moon_Lover
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Look, Ma! He's smiling!"

Post by Moon_Lover »

I think that the biggest problem is the fact that the only real attribute that humans have is their mind (When they use it). Due to this thye are striving ever harder to prove that they are superior to the other species of the world, if not the universe.
That, and, as said before, they have no respect for natural process. If you can get man to respect nature, it'll not only be a leap in the right direction, it would be a catapult.
You can run, you can hide, but I'll still pounce on you and lick you silly.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Everyone blames the serpent...

Post by Set »

Fang wrote:This is the same thing that happened in the garden, God said don't touch the fruit of the tree of knowlege, and man not only touched it, but ate it and ended off worse :x
I've already ranted about that particular subject once, and I'm not going to bother with it again. I'm merely going to point out that's a VERY BAD analogy to use. If you ask me, man ended up better off, for man was no longer merely an ignorant slave that he was before eating from the tree.

It does annoy me to some extent that every scientific experiment or achievement is considered "playing god". If you really think that way, I'll be sure to shove you in a time machine and send you back to the dark ages where you belong.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

StarGate anyone? :P

That could be a total disater..Eh I think man has done enough damage to the poor earth..

A black hole?! Ick..After seeing that one Eps on StarGate SG1 I believe it's Season 2, disc 4, episode 15, "A Matter of Time" about that Black hole..I am not liking this at all :(

Check it out and see what I mean :P
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself
Mood: Meh...

Re: Everyone blames the serpent...

Post by lupine »

[quote="Set"][quote="Fang"]This is the same thing that happened in the garden, God said don't touch the fruit of the tree of knowlege, and man not only touched it, but ate it and ended off worse If you ask me, man ended up better off, for man was no longer merely an ignorant slave that he was before eating from the tree

This IS of course assuming your a christian and believe in the bible. That being the case yeah, you may harbour either one of those views. BUT.... If like me, you feel that the Bible was one of the best selling pieces of science fiction ever written, you would prefer to just shout very loudly at the scientists...'DON'T MEDDLE WITH THINGS YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!!'. Yes, things like this make me nervous. :)
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

Set, I was raised christian, i have since switched, I was using it as an example of how man can destroy everything he holds dear hith one simple decision, as for this experiment, a 10 to the negative 40 chance of earth being destroyed still is not good enough for me, If it's dangerous, don't Fu*k with it!
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori :P
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Oh my god!! This is just like that book Angels and Demons!! Has anyone read that book? It talks about this in it!! The antimatter, CERN, In Switserland. OMG!! This is awsome!!! :o :cafinated:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
lupine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lupine »

About a quarter of the way into it now. Doesn't seem to be grabbing me tho.
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

What!?!! That book is the best book I haver ever read so far, Im not finish and I am in the quater into like you are. Im not much of a reader but this book has me facinated.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
lupine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lupine »

Not knocking the book, Just have lots going on so I can't get into it. Loved the DaVinci Code and heard this was even better.

Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Short Tail »

Set wrote:No, I'm not worried.

Set, a black hole created out of this machine would not swallow up the whole universe, that is physically impossible, yet a black hole can pull things twards it from farther distances away. Take for example the black hole that is at the center of our, and hypothesized to be one at the middle of all the galxies. How else would one stay together and continue spiraling without some supermassive gravitational force pulling everything twards it? Back to this story though, A small black hole could very easily destroy the whole planet. Since one of this size might be stable enough to not dissipate, (many microscopic black holes have been made in labs, but these evaporate due to the amount of mass not being enough to sustain it) it would be pulled twards the earth collecting all the matter that passes throught its event horizon as it fell through, and continue falling through the plannet then being pulled back until it had enough matter to hold it in place at the center of the Earth where it would slowly pull the planet into it self.
Also when dealing with black holes, you cannot think of space as a 1 dimentional plane because the beauty of black holes is that they affect all 4 (known) planes of space, Hight, Width, Length, and Space time.
"War is over if you want it to be. Imagine all the people living life in peace." - John & Yoko
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Short Tail »

What the heck? He cant even get Hawking right.
For one thing, theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking calculated all black holes should emit radiation, and that tiny black holes should lose more mass than they absorb, evaporating within a billionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a second,

Hawking did indeed calculate that black holes emit radiation, but he never said anything about man made black holes. I remeber that chapter in the book and it never mentioned tiny black holes. I dont feel good about scientist basing their research off quotes that they doctored themselves...
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

im neutral here, its not a good idea, but on the other hand the people worrying about the end of the world are thinking what if already, which is a deadly way of thinking and pretty much ruins the point of science
so like i said, neutral :|
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Short Tail wrote: Set, a black hole created out of this machine would not swallow up the whole universe, that is physically impossible, yet a black hole can pull things twards it from farther distances away.
It can't pull anything any further than a similarly massed object that isn't a black hole could. That's not how gravity works. If the Sun turned into a black hole right now, the only thing we'd notice 8 minutes later (c ftw) is that it got very dark. Mass is mass, and the volume that this mass is in has no effect on the amount of gravitational attaraction.

Short Tail wrote:
What the heck? He cant even get Hawking right.
For one thing, theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking calculated all black holes should emit radiation, and that tiny black holes should lose more mass than they absorb, evaporating within a billionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a second,

Hawking did indeed calculate that black holes emit radiation, but he never said anything about man made black holes. I remeber that chapter in the book and it never mentioned tiny black holes. I dont feel good about scientist basing their research off quotes that they doctored themselves...
He doesn't have to specifically say anything about man-made black holes. If they obey the same laws as normal ones do, (and there's nothing to say that they wouldn't) then they will emit Hawking radiation at a rate consistant with the his equations. There's nothing doctored about that.

Anyway, there are way more energetic collisions from gamma rays in the upper atmosphere than anything we can do on the surface. I doubt anything will happen.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Umm. . . I'm a little worried, yes, but I think it's more likely they'll blow up the machine before it creates a force big enough to blow up the planet. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this one though.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

This thread reminds me, someone needs to download all of these, order them, and then make an animated GIF:
http://atlaseye.web.cern.ch/atlaseye/Pi ... 15_geneva/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATLAS_experiment
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:This thread reminds me, someone needs to download all of these, order them, and then make an animated GIF:
http://atlaseye.web.cern.ch/atlaseye/Pi ... 15_geneva/

*looks at number of pictures*

GASP!!! Thats a lot of pictures!! I can do it, but it'll take time. Lots of time.

Err....ummmmm....to much time.

Naaa...I have another project I need to finish 1st.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote: GASP!!! Thats a lot of pictures!! I can do it, but it'll take time. Lots of time.

Err....ummmmm....to much time.

Naaa...I have another project I need to finish 1st.
Yeah, that's really the task of automated software.
It would make a kickass movie though.