Why are furries so DIRT POOR?

The place for anything at all...
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Why are furries so DIRT POOR?

Post by MattSullivan »

A lot of people who like werewolves are furries. Most furries i know are always broke. Why is that?
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

because they spend what little money they have on over priced fur suits.... :D
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Pffft. Most of my money is wasted on video games. =3
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Because most of us are 25 and younger. In fact, the majoiry are teenages.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I suspect it's the age thing. I've got a great budget now, now that I've got no free time as an overworked professional. But, I remember fifteen years ago having lots of time and no money other than what my parents were willing to give me. About ten years ago, my budget got somewhat better, though it was entirely from loans--everything I bought back then I'm actually buying today.

The good news is, a lot of furries are the same sorts of people who become overworked professionals, so those who are poor today won't stay that way indefinitely.

Maybe the business suit of 2020 will have a tail and big eyes?
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Scott Gardener wrote:
That'd bring a whole new meaning to the phrase "bright eyed and bushy tailed". :lol:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Re: Why are furries so DIRT POOR?

Post by Figarou »

MattSullivan wrote:A lot of people who like werewolves are furries. Most furries i know are always broke. Why is that?

Au contraire!!!

I like werewolves. And I'm NOT a furry. And I'm not broke.

I'm one of those werewolf fans that always wanted his very own werewolf character. A different and unique character.

Why? Well....why not?

Do I NEED to be a furry to have my own character? Of course not.

Take a look at the new character on the Cookie Crisp cereal. Its a wolf. And it looks "furryish." But who is the company aiming the product at? Little kids? Or the furries?

I could be mistaken for a furry because of my character. But I'm not a furry. This doesn't mean I don't like furries. I think they are cool people. I met some at A-kon. :D

We all have our place in the werewolf fandom world. I know where mine is at. I have total control over it. It doesn't control me.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Methinks he doth protest too much. :wink:
He didn't say all ww fans were furries, just a lot. Always on the defensive against the dreaded furry label, aren't we Fig? ^_^
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

PariahPoet wrote:Methinks he doth protest too much. :wink:
He didn't say all ww fans were furries, just a lot. Always on the defensive against the dreaded furry label, aren't we Fig? ^_^

Just making sure people know I'm a werewolf fan. :grinp:
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

:roll: *sigh* we know you aren't a furry, I'm not a furry either,
ya big furry J/K
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori :P
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Fang wrote::roll: *sigh* we know you aren't a furry, I'm not a furry either,
ya big furry J/K
*sigh*
Its "you're not" NOT "you aren't"

Canadians :roll:

J/K :jester:
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

:o I had bad grammar!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :VERYcaf:
Machine-Whisperer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: At an Observational status

Post by Machine-Whisperer »

Don't know why everyone has such bad impressions of furries.
I know some off DA and they seem better off (financially) than me.

=p I'm a full time student.
Bah... Stupid Case sensitive Email. Lets try this again !
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Yeah, the whole "evil perverted furries!" thing is getting old. Yeah there are some weirdos out there, but most of us are perfectly normal. Geeze... :evil:
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Resident Chakat

Post by Short Tail »

I had wondered about this before, and I would have to agree that for a large part, it is due to the age group the majority of furries fall into, that being the little money they have is from parents or low paying jobs. However, there are also a large number of middle aged furries (30-40's) that share the same issue.

At first I thought it was a motivational thing or simply that they preferred to work certain lower paying jobs so that they would have more free time. This idea was thrown out though because it simply doesn’t make sense. I sort of have a feeling that becoming furry may have some socio-economic factors as there are usually a couple of specific events that lead one to the "furry side".

In talking with a friend, we both came to the mutual agreement that most furs become so due to three reasons: 1. A traumatic event in their life 2. The desire to escape their life for a while due to day to day hardships (coping mechanism) 3. Those who are not comfortable in social situations so they create a character to speak for them. Certainly growing up on the lower end of the economic spectrum could cause one to experience one of these cases. I am not stating these as fact, merely putting fourth my thoughts on the idea.
"War is over if you want it to be. Imagine all the people living life in peace." - John & Yoko
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

PariahPoet wrote:Yeah, the whole "evil perverted furries!" thing is getting old. Yeah there are some weirdos out there, but most of us are perfectly normal. Geeze... :evil:

Thats not how I see furries. I don't think furries are evil and perverted.

This is why I don't want to be considered a furry. I don't want to give myself a title without 1st understanding everything about it.

Thats my reason. :D

Short Tail wrote:
In talking with a friend, we both came to the mutual agreement that most furs become so due to three reasons: 1. A traumatic event in their life 2. The desire to escape their life for a while due to day to day hardships (coping mechanism) 3. Those who are not comfortable in social situations so they create a character to speak for them. Certainly growing up on the lower end of the economic spectrum could cause one to experience one of these cases. I am not stating these as fact, merely putting fourth my thoughts on the idea.

Interesting.

I didn't know that.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:Interesting.

I didn't know that.
That's only how it is for Many, but far from All.

I, for example, have been drawn towards the culture and the genre for years, having never experienced any significant traumatic events, nor choosing to speak through an alternate persona untill only just recently because it looked like fun.

...allthough, I can admit to the "Wanting to get away" thing, which is a phase I went through in the mid-late 90's.

I'm not Poor...

...I'm not rich either, but I'm well off enough for a lowly cashier with a really nice apartment.

But then...maybe I am just the very rare expetion.

Yeah...it's probobly just that most Furries you run into on message boards are grade school kids (Including HighSchoolers) who don't have jobs yet, or are just getting started.
Many of them begin to abandon the culture after that, due to conformity pressure, or just the need to focus thier full attention on other, more critical life matters.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

well, im not a huge werewolf fan(in fact im a fan of anything that has to do with horror) and im not a furry at all and yet im dirt broke :lol: though I am a teen, and I think I have a curse for the simple fact that I applied for two places this summer, got hired by one then got fired, the other hired me and then after a while fired me also, both got closed down a week after :P
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

:D sounds like you cursed them :D , I'm a teen, I'm not dirt poor, I'm a miser :D
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

Aki wrote:
Scott Gardener wrote:
That'd bring a whole new meaning to the phrase "bright eyed and bushy tailed". :lol:
Ha!

Perhaps it'll be the same old complaint that has been leveled at subcultures of the past. Once they get old enough to settle into a career, make lots of money, and stop spending all their money on their hobbies, they'll be a force to be reckoned with.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

MattSullivan wrote:A lot of people who like werewolves are furries.
I wouldn't be quite so quick to generalize that way. A lot of people I've known who are werewolf fans didn't even know the meaning of "furry" until many years after their werewolf fan interest started, and then failed to become interested in anthropomorphic squirrels and other typical furry genre interests.

Think of it this way. A lot of people are fans of Bugs Bunny. And, Bugs Bunny is exactly the sort of anthropomorphic animal that furries like. But does that mean that everyone who has ever been a fan of Bugs Bunny is a furry? Most people would say no, because if you said yes, you'd have a fairly large number of people classified as furries who've never heard of the subculture and who HAD THEIR FAN INTEREST LONG BEFORE THE FURRY SUBCULTURE DEVELOPED.

As an author of a werewolf folklore book, I've attracted quite a bit of interest from furries, they are some of my best customers. I've even been told that I'm a furry simply because I'm a fan of werewolves and shapeshifters. But, werewolf fans existed long before furries. And, I've never been to a furry convention, and I'm just not that interested in a number of things that typically interest furries.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Jamie wrote:
I wouldn't be quite so quick to generalize that way. A lot of people I've known who are werewolf fans didn't even know the meaning of "furry" until many years after their werewolf fan interest started, and then failed to become interested in anthropomorphic squirrels and other typical furry genre interests.
Thats where I fall under. I've been a werewolf fan for a very long LONG time. (Since I was 6 years old.) I never knew what a furry was until I got on the internet. I got full internet access in 2001. WebTV doesn't count. That piece of crap technology was a waste. Had it for about a year.

Jamie wrote: Think of it this way. A lot of people are fans of Bugs Bunny. And, Bugs Bunny is exactly the sort of anthropomorphic animal that furries like. But does that mean that everyone who has ever been a fan of Bugs Bunny is a furry? Most people would say no, because if you said yes, you'd have a fairly large number of people classified as furries who've never heard of the subculture and who HAD THEIR FAN INTEREST LONG BEFORE THE FURRY SUBCULTURE DEVELOPED.
I was always a fan to the wolf in those old Droopy cartoons. :D
Jamie wrote: As an author of a werewolf folklore book, I've attracted quite a bit of interest from furries, they are some of my best customers. I've even been told that I'm a furry simply because I'm a fan of werewolves and shapeshifters. But, werewolf fans existed long before furries. And, I've never been to a furry convention, and I'm just not that interested in a number of things that typically interest furries.

Exactly. Same goes with me.
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Heh...the closest to 'Furry' I get is my wolf mask and tail which is actually a Halloween costume.

eh I had two cents on this topic but I have guitar students now...better dash!
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Jamie wrote:
MattSullivan wrote:A lot of people who like werewolves are furries.
I wouldn't be quite so quick to generalize that way.
Good grief, ease up. He didn't say all or even most, he said a lot. And that's a simple truth, there are a lot of furries who are werewolf fans. It's not a generalization. If would have been a generalization if he'd said the majority, because I don't believe that is true. As you guys said, there are plenty of ww fans who are not furry. But even if the majority of ww fans aren't furs, furries still comprise a significant percentage of the fan base, so you have to keep that in mind.
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

and also dont forget the fact that a lot of furries are not werewolf fans...